• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook |OT| The Social Network

Joe

Has anyone else seen a noticeable decline of activity on their Facebook the past couple of months? Or is it just my anecdotal evidence?

Has anyone else seen a noticeable decline of activity on their Facebook the past couple of months? Or is it just my anecdotal evidence?

I have.......4 of the top 5 news feed posts today were samsung ads.

Not status updates, not pictures....samsung ads.

Might be an age thing though? I got into facebook in 2005, as did most of my friends. Most of them simply never post anything.....and I barely do.

....or everyone hates timeline and as I predicted, will kill facebook.

Firestorm

HELP!

How do you participate on a page that you're the administrator of, without everybody knowing you're the administrator?
there's a blue bar that says "You are posting as Page Name - Click here to post as Your Name" or something like that near the tip of the page. Click that.

S.Dedalus

EDIT: Disregard. Apparently they're just older wall posts (snopes says so), although I could have sworn some of those were private. But what can I say? It's early. I'm tired. I'm usually better than this.

Just saw a friend post this:

"Dear Facebookers - Your private inbox messages are now visible for all to see, from 2010 and earlier! This could get VERY awkward, very quickly...this is a new change from Facebook as of yesterday. Don't believe me? Read your timeline from those years...yikes! They look like wall posts.....they are not! (UPDATE -Apparently, like all other things on FB, people are hit at different times, so your timeline might not be affected yet.)

There's an easy fix--when you're in your own timeline, just click on the year on the right (2007, 2008, 2009) and you'll see a box with a bunch of friends' messages and a header that says 89 people have written on so and so's timeline--hover over the right until you see the pencil, click and select hide from timeline. Do that for each year. BOTH parties have to delete or it will show so post and tell your friends!

And if you're my friend, please do this to keep my stuff private - Thanks.
"

At first I was like, "What? No way that could happen; it's just like those rumors that "OMG there gonna charge u 4 usin facebook!!!!" ... no way it's real."

But then I checked my timeline and a few friends' timelines from 2010 and before. And um. Yeah, it's real.

So if you need to do a little housekeeping to hide things that were supposed to remain private, please do, and ask your friends to do the same so that your private messages to them aren't on public display to all their friends (or the entire world if they have shitty privacy settings).

zerotol

Banned
Haha, these things are always bullshit.

Edit: hey I wasn't meaning to be a dick. I just have seen this same thing a bunch of times and it it always turned out to be fake.

S.Dedalus

No worries, I would have been a dick too. 99 times out of 100 I don't fall for these stupid things, but panic set in when I thought of some of the private stuff I had said to people in the past.

Stet

Banned
I don't mind them. I try to keep my network pretty tight so generally the people that want to say Happy Birthday on Facebook have already said it to my face.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
does anyone else hate birthday posts flooding your wall?

Well now it puts them all in a little scroll box, so the Happy Birthdays are out of the way. Pretty nice feature, no need to deactivate anymore.

Fry

That thing about private messages being public is fake, right?

I don't want everyone to read some of my conversations with close friends, they are usually embarrassing. :p

I had 2 creative wall posts. and 2 people decided to text me.

idk, facebook making it so easy and simple to leave a birthday message irks me. its making someone's birthday trivial. like, if you don;t actually care about me, not posting is honestly better than me realizing how few real friends i have.

Firestorm

Merry Womb Expulsion Day!
Hahaha ok I need to use this on someone at some point. I have some perfect targets for that.

I enjoyed this card image posted on my wall but with my name MS Paint'd on:

$%28KGrHqNHJB8E63%28O6e-1BO58kI21!!~~60_35.JPG

Dreaver

GAF I have a question.
Is it possible to "hide" all tagged photos but not messages?
The only option I am seeing is this:
Who can see posts you've been tagged in on your timeline?
which both hides messages AND photos when turned to "only me".

Reason is, I don't mind being tagged in texts however I do in photos sometimes, like when I am (semi-)drunk on a party. I don't feel like sharing it to the majority of my friendlist.
I know you can hide single photos but isn't there a general setting I am not seeing?

Flash

How do you feel about the opinion that Facebook "has become a constant flow of internet diarrhea posted by people you sort of know"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GacoqdKjVyE

lol give me a fucking break. I don't disagree that facebook is a constant flow of internet diarrhea but instagram is the exact same shit just with a filter added on.

All of these social networks are garbage if you don't control your friends list. Facebook can be awesome or it can be terrible - it's up to you. And this guy is a fucking tool - "post one picture of your kid, and then CHILL!"

oh, and don't EVER ask people to follow you... that aint cool man... but I guess asking people to like your facebook page is cool? *roll eyes*

/rant

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just noticed that Places has invaded my Timeline. How do I disable it? The guides I've found apply to Facebook's old privacy page, and I stumbled upon a suggestion to remove it from Favourites, as this would hide it from public (and friends') view, but this doesn't seem to have worked -- if I use the "View as..." function to view my profile as it would appear to a friend, the map and location data is still there.

where is the view interactions button from the old facebook? you know, so you can see the interaction(wall posts) you had with a specific person?

ah thank you thank you.

damn, poor girl's been messaging me once every year for the last five years and i never replied anything back apparently >_>

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How do I get rid of the stupid Places map? It added a location I never went to. I want to disable any of this crap, I never check-in from anywhere anyway.

I just noticed that Places has invaded my Timeline. How do I disable it? The guides I've found apply to Facebook's old privacy page, and I stumbled upon a suggestion to remove it from Favourites, as this would hide it from public (and friends') view, but this doesn't seem to have worked -- if I use the "View as..." function to view my profile as it would appear to a friend, the map and location data is still there.

Same situation.

Just got some new kind of message layout... looks horendous ugh. The last one was perfect the way it was... I don't need to see huge ass buttons of my other contacts while messaging someone else. For fuck's sake who designs this fucking shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

I don't understand what the point is of giving people the option to de-activate if it re-activates as soon as you login again. I just want to choose an option to de-activate at least a certain amount of time damnit. How am I supposed to detox...

Top Bottom