• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook |OT| The Social Network

Pachimari

Am I the only one who can't access my messages? It won't load my chat or messages. I'm using a MacBook Air. But it works fine on iOS.

?oe?oe

Facebook is for sure keeping tabs on how many times you visit someone's page.

This may or may not influence their own searches.
When you start putting letters in the search bar and your friends appear, the person on top is the one you look at most (of that letter), I've noticed.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
OK so this a weird one. This girl I don't really know very well (she lived with a friend of mine early last year and despite being one of the most attractive women I have encountered in IRL - think Emmy Rossum but better, srsly - was painfully shy meaning we didn't interact a whole lot) just added me. The catch is we don't have any mutual friends, I don't have myself as my profile pic, nor do I use my real last name on Facebook, so I don't really know how she found me. Now I will admit to having looked at her profile a few of times (I know people say this but seriously, like four times max over the last year and a bit), so perhaps I showed up on her "People You May Know" thing? Or does Facebook not even work that way?

Facebook keeps tabs on which profiles you visit and how frequently, and vice versa how many times your profile is visited. This is used for many different things, one of which is populating the your newsfeed with posts from said friends (and your posts in their feeds), and the 'your friends' summary link on your time line.

The more likely way you popped up in "friends you may know?" for her (if that was indeed the way she found you) is that Facebook linked your friend's living addresses together. Facebook tracks absolutely everything about where you are when you visit and post on the site, plus any addresses you enter in your profile. Since your friend lived with her and they're friends with you, she may be a friend too(!) (facebook logic).

Polari

The more likely way you popped up in "friends you may know?" for her (if that was indeed the way she found you) is that Facebook linked your friend's living addresses together. Facebook tracks absolutely everything about where you are when you visit and post on the site, plus any addresses you enter in your profile. Since your friend lived with her and they're friends with you, she may be a friend too(!) (facebook logic).

Hmm... my friend isn't on Facebook though, and it's not like I have ever posted anything about him or going to his house or whatever on there. However I did log on to Facebook once or twice from his house so it could be IP related I guess. Seems like a stretch though. Damn Facebook is creepy.

Hmm... my friend isn't on Facebook though, and it's not like I have ever posted anything about him or going to his house or whatever on there. However I did log on to Facebook once or twice from his house so it could be IP related I guess. Seems like a stretch though. Damn Facebook is creepy.

I have two facebook accounts and I noticed that sometimes facebook will recommend a friend from the one account to the other even if there are no mutual friends at all. So I think they must use IP details or things in cookies on shared computers to snoop around and recommend those friends.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
When you start putting letters in the search bar and your friends appear, the person on top is the one you look at most (of that letter), I've noticed.

Some 'venues' though will be missing unless you check-in to the EXACT spelling ...

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Am I the only one who can't access my messages? It won't load my chat or messages. I'm using a MacBook Air. But it works fine on iOS.

I'm currently BLOCKED from accessing Facebook entirely, lucky I have friends who can post on my behalf really haha

jaxword

I have two facebook accounts and I noticed that sometimes facebook will recommend a friend from the one account to the other even if there are no mutual friends at all. So I think they must use IP details or things in cookies on shared computers to snoop around and recommend those friends.

This is correct. Facebook uses IP tracing far more than people think.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is correct. Facebook uses IP tracing far more than people think.

It would need VERY accurate use of GPS to avoid complete confusion with shared devices / Internet connections.

... or use triangulation via people (friends) instead of the limitations of said technology.

jaxword

It would need VERY accurate use of GPS to avoid complete confusion with shared devices / Internet connections.

... or use triangulation via people (friends) instead of the limitations of said technology.

You don't think they know that? Every day they're coming up with newer ideas to get people more and more intertwined.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
You don't think they know that? Every day they're coming up with newer ideas to get people more and more intertwined.

I expect they do, I don't like too many tangled or broken connections though. Facebook is a clusterfuck, with nonsense privacy settings and WAY too much spam. It will go the same way as MySpace 1.0 if they don't take more care and attention-to-detail with it.

The whole thing needs streamlining, they should talk to Apple more to up the cross-integration with iOS. That would force Facebook to detangle themselves.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Facebook tracks absolutely everything about every user, even information that they don't know how to parse or make use of at this time. It's all about future-proofing themselves.

This is pretty standard practice, Microsoft does the same with Xbox Live for example, once you have a Live ID your habits (e.g. how long you idle on the dashboard, what games you play, whatever), your location, everything about you is tracked and stored indefinitely.

Nope. I suppose she could have got it off the friend she was living with (he doesn't use Facebook) but it seems very unlikely. I'll probably just ask her.
The rephrase the question; did she give Facebook your e-mail.

What I mean is did she use the friend finder (it occasionally pops up showing you "friend x and y found z people you trys it toos)? That accesses an e-mail account, finds all the address that have ever written to or sent to it (or maybe it just raids the address book) and runs it against their database, possibly ignoring the privacy settings, which allows it to make impossible links to "only me" e-mail.

It also stores that data, so if you were in contact with someone who lacks an account but they then get an account, they'll see you as a friend suggestion (and vice versa).

IIRC it was also found that it kept checking the e-mail accounts for new contacts too despite the description saying it was a one-time thing. I read an article a few years back on it so they might have caved in on that point.

That folks is why you don't use the "friend finder".

Jzero

How do u do that?
Like this. It obviously won't remove it from their server but at least anyone who hacks you can't see your search history.

iWopVqwRfvJK8.png

Like this. It obviously won't remove it from their server but at least anyone who hacks you can't see your search history.

iWopVqwRfvJK8.png
You can remove individual searches but at the top there is a remove all button (it gives you the warning about "nobody else can see but this to give you more relevant suggestions"*). Also it didn't seem to have anything from before September for me.

*-Which can be just as bad if not worse...

jaxword

You can remove individual searches but at the top there is a remove all button (it gives you the warning about "nobody else can see but this to give you more relevant suggestions"*). Also it didn't seem to have anything from before September for me.

*-Which can be just as bad if not worse...

Where's the remove all button? Can't seem to find it...just has the individual ones with the strikethrough O.

Where's the remove all button? Can't seem to find it...just has the individual ones with the strikethrough O.

After you click on activity log, look at the right where it says "photos, likes, comments" and click on "more" and then click on "search" and then there is a big thing that says "clear searches"

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
After you click on activity log, look at the right where it says "photos, likes, comments" and click on "more" and then click on "search" and then there is a big thing that says "clear searches"

Where the heck is all that? I have none of this displayed.

edit: found it

jaxword

Thanks for this.

Edit--What the hell, I don't remember searching for Karen Peters. I haven't talked to her in like 2 years.

Edit2-- Boy I did a lot of drunk-searching for exes. And I texted them too. Huh.

pargonta

edit: restored to normal after 18 hours. facebook glitches are so fun!

Has anyone ever had their "activity box", located at the very top of ones timeline, vanish?
this is the box that has different cells on top of each other, ex likes, spotify, event... etc.

mine just did, just wondering if there is a protocol for getting that back.
I liked a page yesterday, so it is not a matter of elapsed time

Jzero

So the Facebook Timeline is getting a new design:

Old
http://i.imgur.com/dxJAH2Cl.png[/im]

[b]New[/b]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/JxDG1bRl.png[/im][/quote]
Yup, i already have it. I got so used to my notifications being on the left side that sometimes i don't notice i have any messages haha.

Edit: wait nevermind i thought you were talking about the top bar.

?oe?oe

Because it still hasn't released. That picture is kinda off. The thing it's showing off is the rest of the profile.
I'm talking about the blue banner at the top. Mine (and many others) was always notifications on the left, search bar etc. But, I haven't got the updated search that you posted though.

I don't know what the new timeline is trying to achieve. Minimise the friends, maps etc but make the about section more prominent. By the looks of it, it won't be having the zig-zagging posts, at the top of the timeline, at least.

?oe?oe

So... has anyone got the new profile or newsfeed yet? Apparently one of my friends has the new profile now, but their page hasn't changed from my end.

Jzero

So... has anyone got the new profile or newsfeed yet? Apparently one of my friends has the new profile now, but their page hasn't changed from my end.
I have both the new layout and the new search. I'm guessing you have to have the new layout yourself to be able to see the layout.

pargonta

so, i just got the new profile with right aligned status updates... and i think they finally got rid of my favorite function of Facebook... listing and ranking your favorite movies and games in the order you choose, 1-50 etc. they now just appear haphazardly (or last updated/added) with no apparent user control, with some new functionality about "things you watched" and suggested things.

additionally, progress was made in 2009 when a "games" category was added to the same cluster of favorite lists...
so it went
-favorite movies, books, tv shows, and then games was added... etc

now with this redesign? games are separated and relegated to the "more"->"other likes" tab, two steps removed from the prominent placement of movies and tv shows.

i literally have only just received this redesign in the last 15 minutes, so i will still feel it out, however it feels incredibly bad so far, since it hurts what i enjoyed most.

ramyeon

so, i just got the new profile with right aligned status updates... and i think they finally got rid of my favorite function of Facebook... listing and ranking your favorite movies and games in the order you choose, 1-50 etc. they now just appear haphazardly (or last updated/added) with no apparent user control, with some new functionality about "things you watched" and suggested things.
I don't recall ever having this.

pargonta

I don't recall ever having this.

hmm, well, so this is what the movies section, of my about section (the tab in the 'new profile pictures' a few posts up) looks like.

for example, cruel intentions is not my favorite movie, and it should not be in the first, #1 position, however there is now no way to alter the order (apparently, maybe there is and im not seeing it)

idk. although i am sad to see user ranking functionality go if it is... being able to do "watched movies" and movies you want to see could be useful.

i'm having a bit of the ol, something new oh shii... i'm sure in a few days i will feel great. maybe.

ramyeon

hmm, well, so this is what the movies section, of my about section (the tab in the 'new profile pictures' a few posts up) looks like.

for example, cruel intentions is not my favorite movie, and it should not be in the first, #1 position, however there is now no way to alter the order (apparently, maybe there is and im not seeing it)

idk. although i am sad to see user ranking functionality go if it is... being able to do "watched movies" and movies you want to see could be useful.

i'm having a bit of the ol, something new oh shii... i'm sure in a few days i will feel great. maybe.
This is what my movies "Likes" section has looked like since the original timeline was implemented, and I haven't received the new look one. But there's no way to change the order of them on the original timeline either... as far as I know?

pargonta

at the upper right of that page there should a button that says edit, or edit pages or something similar.

if not, then i'm at a loss lol.

ramyeon

at the upper right of that page there should a button that says edit, or edit pages or something similar.

if not, then i'm at a loss lol.
There is yeah, it lets you add and remove "likes" for everything. You can drag and drop them around, but that doesn't save or transfer to how they look after clicking done, they all just revert.

Top Bottom