• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook |OT| The Social Network

pargonta

There is yeah, it lets you add and remove "likes" for everything. You can drag and drop them around, but that doesn't save or transfer to how they look after clicking done, they all just revert.

yeah the drag and drop the names is what i was thinking of, and then theres a done button down at the bottom, which should save where you drag and drop them.

but, i'm now at a total loss and more confused lol... idk. nevertheless get ready for the pictures to get larger, they definitely have a bigger presence.

ramyeon

yeah the drag and drop the names is what i was thinking of, and then theres a done button down at the bottom, which should save where you drag and drop them.

but, i'm now at a total loss and more confused lol... idk. nevertheless get ready for the pictures to get larger, they definitely have a bigger presence.
Weird, yeah. Upon trying now if you drag and drop pictures it does reorder them but it's only possible to do that for the first 5 (The only ones visible once you edit). Doesn't really bother me though, I'm pretty open to changes on Facebook.

pargonta

Doesn't really bother me though, I'm pretty open to changes on Facebook.

right on, right on. it's always interesting that's for sure.

edit: after tinkering for a day, it's pretty clear facebook is trying to devalue "liking pages" in this new design, while giving alternate ways to connect a user to a product, in addition to ol fashioned likes.

also, humorously given my previous outburst, it appears that in the "Watched movies" tab of the movies section/cell, you can slide the image of a movie and reorder the list as one wishes. this is not "liked" movies, remember, this is the new list of "watched" movies. sorta interesting, so they took out user ordering functionality from liked pages, and allow user ordering functionality in the new "watched" lists. and, the new "watched" lists are infact what is seen on the left side of ones new design timeline. i'm still very upset that video games have been left out, and do not have their own timeline/about section cell (games are relegated to plain likes in the separate "like" menu, and there are no lists for "played games" or "upcoming games").

i'm trying to figure out how to move forward in this regard, as there are lots of new avenues for sharing ones favorite pieces of culture with this new design. tres interesting.

Gandie

fb.png

Am I the only one?

edgefusion

It's driving me crazy I signed up for the new newsfeed on day 1, I still don't have it but 3 of my friends do and I know for a fact none of them have even noticed or even care about it. One doesn't even use Facebook regularly. Raaaaaaaaaaage

giga

It's driving me crazy I signed up for the new newsfeed on day 1, I still don't have it but 3 of my friends do and I know for a fact none of them have even noticed or even care about it. One doesn't even use Facebook regularly. Raaaaaaaaaaage
It's really lame. Don't have the new newsfeed, graph search, or timeline. Zuck sucks at rolling out stuff to people who want them.

Firestorm

It's really lame. Don't have the new newsfeed, graph search, or timeline. Zuck sucks at rolling out stuff to people who want them.
Yeah, what's the point of asking us to sign up to be on the list if we get them after our friends who don't care / dislike it :(

Dreaver

New timeline layout? Just got this, haven't heard of seen anyone else with it. It's now 1 column for posts and 1 for other stuff (friends, info, likes). I actually like this better. Any other people having this as well?

Jzero

New timeline layout? Just got this, haven't heard of seen anyone else with it. It's now 1 column for posts and 1 for other stuff (friends, info, likes). I actually like this better. Any other people having this as well?
Yup, been having it for a couple of weeks.

Milchjon

Just noticed this. Still have neither the new newsfeed nor Graph Search. Shit sucks.

Pachimari

Got the Graph Search today.

Anyway I'm disgusted to find that if I want my message to turn up in a persons Inbox instead of in Other then I have to pay.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
You can change it once by going into your account settings and click edit on username.

Problem is apparently I already did that once a long time ago. Now my screen name is an alias but my address contains my real name for all to see :(. Is there really no way to even contact FB and beg for mercy?

pargonta

they added video games to the list of cells that appear on the left side of the new single column timeline!

as i stated some days ago in a few posts above..
"i'm still very upset that video games have been left out, and do not have their own timeline/about section cell (games are relegated to plain likes in the separate "like" menu, and there are no lists for "played games" or "upcoming games")."

it currently appears there are no tabs for "upcoming games", or "played games" which is unfortunate, because presumedly, like the movies cell, the "played games" tab of the cell could allow you to rearrange and order a list of games for yourself.

pretty cool though, thank you Facebook for adding the option to have a games cell on the left side of the timeline. and for allowing me to share and promote parity between my favorite forms of media.

in example, for people wondering what i'm talking about, the newly added video games cell:
1dPlPDB.jpg

the movies cell is like a myspace top 6, fully editable by the user. as mentioned, as of now the games tab is uneditable, and is just past likes and recent updated.

edit: they also changed the shorthand symbol of a designated "games" section to a uniform dpad and face buttons video game controller. this is changed from the deck of cards which they used previously as a symbol.
4izHwEN.jpg

they retained the more general term of "games", however instead of implying card/board/traditional games, they adopted the more natural symbol of "video games". pretty cool.

Unfriend Finder is no longer available

The social network asked the removal of the extension because it violates its terms.
Specifically, Unfriend Finder injects unauthorized code into the social networks's source code in order to alter the way that the webpages are rendered in users browsers
It adds unauthorized links to users' bookmark sections;
And posts unauthorized notifications regarding which users have "unfriended" the user or "ignored" his or her friend requests.

I cannot enforce this and will cease the developement of this Extension.
Unfriend Finder has been around for 3 years, and many of you enjoyed this, but it cannot go further.

Thank you for your support.
http://www.unfriendfinder.net/

Oh for God's sake.

Has anyone tried to quit Facebook and succeed? I don't talk to many of my friends there, so I'm thinking about it. I have pictures that I really like there though. :(

Jzero

Has anyone tried to quit Facebook and succeed? I don't talk to many of my friends there, so I'm thinking about it. I have pictures that I really like there though. :(

No way i'm quitting. Too many giveaways and free stuff if you know where to look.

Milchjon

If I make a post on Facebook and only make it viewable to just one friend, will they see I've done this?

I think so, if they know where to look. Under each post in your newsfeed, you see those little icons? If it's a cog, you know the poster has customized the audience. If you hover/click, you can see who they shared it with. There's a message from Facebook above that list:

People Who Can See This

Why am I seeing these names?

These are other people who can see [Friend's name]'s post. When you share with a specific set of friends, they can see the audience. However, your friends can't see when you put them on a list like Close Friends or Acquaintances

Dreaver

There are a lot of 'share to win' actions on Facebook, I never bother to do them because it really annoys me when I see other people doing it, and I don't want to annoy others. But I was thinking, would it be possible to share with permissions to see the shared post only with 'me'? So no one else can see the post on my wall except myself. Will that work or won't the share be registered?

Jzero

There are a lot of 'share to win' actions on Facebook, I never bother to do them because it really annoys me when I see other people doing it, and I don't want to annoy others. But I was thinking, would it be possible to share with permissions to see the shared post only with 'me'? So no one else can see the post on my wall except myself. Will that work or won't the share be registered?

When it comes to "share to enter" giveaways, the giveaways have to be public for the company actually giving away items to be able to see it. I usually avoid those since it's annoying to see them.

jtb

Banned
It used to be that they couldn't see that (re: sharing things for specific people), and they could only see "custom" or whatever. Too bad, I did like micromanaging who sees what I share and who didn't.

Milchjon

When it comes to share to enter giveaways, the giveaways have to be public for the company actually giving away items to be able to see it. I usually avoid those since it's annoying to see them.

Which is why they're against the guidelines

E. Promotions

If you use Facebook to communicate about or administer a promotion (such as a contest or sweepstakes), you are responsible for the lawful operation of that promotion, including the official rules, offer terms and eligibility requirements (e.g., age and residency restrictions), and compliance with regulations governing the promotion and all prizes offered in connection with the promotion (e.g., registration and obtaining necessary regulatory approvals). Please note that compliance with these guidelines does not constitute the lawfulness of a promotion. Promotions are subject to many regulations and if you are not certain that your promotion complies with applicable law, please consult with an expert.

i. Promotions on Facebook must be administered within Apps on Facebook.com, either on a Canvas Page or a Page App.
ii. Promotions on Facebook must include the following:
a. A complete release of Facebook by each entrant or participant.
b. Acknowledgment that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
c. Disclosure that the participant is providing information to [disclose recipient(s) of information] and not to Facebook.
iii. You must not condition registration or entry upon the user taking any action using any Facebook features or functionality other than liking a Page, checking in to a Place, or connecting to your app. For example, you must not condition registration or entry upon the user liking a Wall post, or commenting or uploading a photo on a Wall.
iv. You must not use Facebook features or functionality as a promotion’s registration or entry mechanism. For example, the act of liking a Page or checking in to a Place cannot automatically register or enter a promotion participant.
v. You must not use Facebook features or functionality, such as the Like button, as a voting mechanism for a promotion.
vi. You must not notify winners through Facebook, such as through Facebook messages, chat, or posts on profiles (timelines) or Pages.
vii. Definitions:
a. By “administration” we mean the operation of any element of the promotion, such as collecting entries, conducting a drawing, judging entries, or notifying winners.
b. By “communication” we mean promoting, advertising or referencing a promotion in any way on Facebook, e.g., in ads, on a Page, or in a Wall post.

Jzero

Could you please elaborate on those? How can you tell which are legit and which are just fake?

It's easy really. Just look for giveaways that come straight from the pages of real companies. These past few months there have been a lot of sweepstakes from video card companies. Too bad i haven't been lucky yet. There is also free stuff that some pages give you, you just have to pay attention to who gives what.

Xun

I think so, if they know where to look. Under each post in your newsfeed, you see those little icons? If it's a cog, you know the poster has customized the audience. If you hover/click, you can see who they shared it with. There's a message from Facebook above that list:

Just tried it with a friend and it does show them that only they can see it.

iN6aD1eDAx8NA.png
Yeah I noticed this just after I last posted.

What a pain.

Hey, so I joined a group on facebook. Is is possible to change the privacy settings so people in my friendlist (or anyone outside the group) don't see my posts I write in that group?

Jzero

Hey, so I joined a group on facebook. Is is possible to change the privacy settings so people in my friendlist (or anyone outside the group) don't see my posts I write in that group?

Nope, only the admins of the group can change that. That's what sucks about open groups.

Dreaver

I've got another question regarding Facebook, I'll give an example to explain it: I'm following Vice on Facebook. I'm only receiving Dutch updates from them (there is a Dutch version of the website as well) but I want to receive the English updates, is it possible to switch this? As far as I know there's only 1 'official' Vice page. The language is already set on English.

When it comes to "share to enter" giveaways, the giveaways have to be public for the company actually giving away items to be able to see it. I usually avoid those since it's annoying to see them.

Cheers!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Is it me or there used to be a way to configure what would show up in the top bar of your page "Timeline About Friends Photos More" part?

Also, I really think they should allow use to have multiple rows of feeds, at least two: news feed on the left, interests on the right (where you just change which interest list and it updates it). As it is right now, there's a lot of wasted space. They need to make interest lists better integrated. It's probably the most useful aspect of Facebook IMO, like an improved RSS feed.

Wtf? It seems like there is no way to remove those automatically generated "participates in bla event" posts on your wall if those events are public. Shit doesn't even show up on my timeline anywhere. I despise that clunky piece of shit website..

/it's not even in my Activity Log/on my timeline, but it's still all over the place in other people's feeds (I have my gf's account logged in on my tablet)..

Wtf? It seems like there is no way to remove those automatically generated "participates in bla event" posts on your wall if those events are public. Shit doesn't even show up on my timeline anywhere. I despise that clunky piece of shit website..

/it's not even in my Activity Log/on my timeline, but it's still all over the place in other people's feeds (I have my gf's account logged in on my tablet)..

You can see that by clicking on "See as...": http://www.bewebsmart.com/social-media/facebook/view-your-facebook-profile-as-someone-else/

But yeah you can't hide the "participates in" posts if the event is public.

Top Bottom