• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook |OT| The Social Network

Milchjon

I don't understand what the point is of giving people the option to de-activate if it re-activates as soon as you login again. I just want to choose an option to de-activate at least a certain amount of time damnit. How am I supposed to detox...

Not at all, as far as Facebook is concerned ;-)

Sagitario

Anyone having these issues?

During the past 2~3 days, I couldn't like or comment on anything. I always got error messages after doing it: "An error occurred. Please try again in a few minutes".
The mobile site didn't work most of the time either (no error messages, but after commenting, page would reload and it would be as if nothing had happened).

Randomly, I was finally able to post something from m.facebook.com yesterday (I don't use the app on my phone). This post appears on my news feed, my friend's news feed, and my profile from the mobile site... but if I visit my profile from my laptop, it doesn't appear on my timeline (unless I type m.facebook.com).

The problem about being able to like and comment was fixed today (at least I haven't had more error messages), but posts appearing only on m.facebook.com and not on www.facebook.com wasn't.

I was able to get the direct link from my news feed, and I can comment on that specific post, but it still doesn't appear on my timeline.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Anyone else doesn't understand the whole "subscribing" thing? It seems to change EVERY WEEK.

Recently you could chose to see all updates, or some updates, or none, etc. Then sometimes you couldn't chose at all. Now it's "Get Notifications" or "Add to Interest List". WTF, I already liked the page, how much more complicated can it be to let me chose if I want to see all the damn updates or not?

It really annoys me that the sites I want to see the most updates from (the ones I Liked and want to know of any update), I never see them! Instead I see stupid pointless messages from friends only.

Milchjon

How do I disable your comments?

User CP -> Edit Ignore List -> Add User "Milchjon" to ignore list.

Edit: As for your original question, I'm not sure the option exists for normal users, a short search turned up nothing. I guess your best bet is just limiting the audience for your post. You can ban people from posting on your wall, but I don't think you can keep others from commenting.

I know; I'm just teasing. I looked it up and they took that ability away. I agree with the rationale. I just had a single post today that I was interested in keeping spam free, not something I'd look for usually.

Pachimari

Facebook just sent out a update for their iOS app but am I the only who can't bring up my friendlist by swiping left?

Also, can I still put my friends in each their lists? If so, how?
Another thing is, how can I do, so that people who are not on my friendlist won't be able to comment on my pictures? Will tagging automatically open up that pictures comment box for the tagged friends?

I don't understand what the point is of giving people the option to de-activate if it re-activates as soon as you login again. I just want to choose an option to de-activate at least a certain amount of time damnit. How am I supposed to detox...
Apparently some don't like activity on the Facebook wall when they are not online. I got a bunch of relatives who disable their accounts and some drama queens doing the same only to come back. It's so annoying.

I just updated as well, and now it won't let me log in. Getting nothing but errors. When I was logged in at first the newsfeed was missing/not working. No idea what's wrong with it...

Pachimari

I just updated as well, and now it won't let me log in. Getting nothing but errors. When I was logged in at first the newsfeed was missing/not working. No idea what's wrong with it...
Yeah, apparently enough have experienced the same thing as you, as 9to5mac posted a news story about it.

SmZA

I had a friend who was posting lots of annoying status updates for a while so I took him off my notifications feed. He's stopped that shit now but I can't figure out where/how to change that setting. Help me, GAF!

Milchjon

I had a friend who was posting lots of annoying status updates for a while so I took him off my notifications feed. He's stopped that shit now but I can't figure out where/how to change that setting. Help me, GAF!

Haha, I have the exact same problem. With one of my closer friends, too.

Pachimari

Haha, I have the exact same problem. With one of my closer friends, too.

Go to your friend's Facebook wall and click on the 'Friends' button. In the pop-up menu you'll see a 'Settings' link, click on it - here you'll see a All Updates, Most Update, No Update choice.

pargonta

edit: it appears the editing and sorting functionality has returned to the favorites section of my profile

for the last five days favorites could not be edited and sorted, and thumbnail images of likes were broken.
it appears they have fixed the problem, lessening fears that they were deleting the sorting favorite likes functionality in totality.

it took them close to a week, but thank you Facebook for fixing the problem.
here is a thread from the community forum over there on this glitch, which does appear to be fixed. http://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=4642522616156

There's no way someone can tell I'm invisible unless I talk to them or update my profile (or like something or whatever), right?
Because this girl I was sort of hiding from....just messaged me something along the lines of: I can see you hiding from me, lol :|

I ask because there is a user script (or plugin) that shows you if someone defriends you, so I thought maybe now there's one to reveal invisible ppl. too.

I logged into Facebook at school for the first time....

My mind was blown. You know that feed on the right that gives you every tiny update?

Id completely forgotten that existed...it doesnt show up at home (or on mobile).

Lol, facebook fail.

Kabuto

is anyone else having issues with likes and comments not showing up on some photos on the desktop version? It's weird because I know these photos have both, but they're just not showing up.

Roklie

I logged into Facebook at school for the first time....

My mind was blown. You know that feed on the right that gives you every tiny update?

Id completely forgotten that existed...it doesnt show up at home (or on mobile).

Lol, facebook fail.
I noticed the same thing and thought my Facebook at home hadn't been updated to a newer version or something, until I realized that zooming out (I'm using my TV as my computer screen so I have to use CTRL+ in order to read any texts) it became visible at home as well.

This is a silly thing to care about, but it bugs me a little that my job is listed under my name instead of my university in the preview if you hover the cursor above my name.

I'm a student first and a worker second (and my job has nothing to do with my studies), so I'd vastly prefer my university to be there instead of my job.

Any way to do this without deleting my job?

Has anyone ever encountered this?

6Hysh.png

I opened chat and at the text entry screen it indicates "Shared with: Brians Friends" - Brian not being the person I was going to message although I do have a couple Brians on my friendslist. It would only pop up when I hovered the mouse over the message entry box.

Thoughts?...

This is a silly thing to care about, but it bugs me a little that my job is listed under my name instead of my university in the preview if you hover the cursor above my name.

I'm a student first and a worker second (and my job has nothing to do with my studies), so I'd vastly prefer my university to be there instead of my job.

Any way to do this without deleting my job?
IIRC, Only by removing the info completely or making your current job student or something...

Enco

Finally got the new privacy controls.

Search history? Yikes. Better delete that crap. Going to take a while to go through everything. It's better than before though. Much easier to sort through things in the activity log.

edit: oh and the wording for 'Message Filtering' is awful...

Whose messages do I want filtered into my Inbox?

Basic Filtering · Recommended
Mostly friends and people you may know

Strict Filtering
Mostly just friends — you may miss messages from other people you know

'Mostly' friends? What? I'm guessing that's because they want people to pay to spam you.

So why is Facebook showing me recently released albums in the newsfeed? Are they seriously that strapped for cash? Not only that, but it's an artist I looked up Youtube the other day so I feel pretty creeped out right now.

Edit: I also checked just now to see if I liked this artist on FB and I didn't, so I'm still creeped out.

Not sure about the new layout. I like how the main items are all on the left now, but I miss how events stretched across the page.

Meh.

Fry

Is it really a safe bet to say no one can see that you visited his profile, even with all those crazy apps out there saying it's possible?

I've been on a stalking mission for the last month, I really need to be sure that person doesn't know about me.

Jzero

Is it really a safe bet to say no one can see that you visited his profile, even with all those crazy apps out there saying it's possible?

I've been on a stalking mission for the last month, I really need to be sure that person doesn't know about me.
Nope, all those apps give fake results.

Why am I seeing all this garbage on my news feed all the sudden?

A friend of mine likes a post from a friend of hers on another friend of her's wall. I only know the first person and really dont care if she likes this random person's comment to a second random person.

Can I change this somehow?

jaxword

Not yet, no.

But you may want to stop with the stalking in general, it's probably unhealthy and facebook DOES keep track of that, even if they don't tell the person. Zuckerberg is laughing at how much he knows.

buhdeh

Just got graph search activated on my account.

First thing I tried was "most visited places by my friends" then "most visited restaurants by my friends". Neither worked. Pretty useless so far.

Polari

OK so this a weird one. This girl I don't really know very well (she lived with a friend of mine early last year and despite being one of the most attractive women I have encountered in IRL - think Emmy Rossum but better, srsly - was painfully shy meaning we didn't interact a whole lot) just added me. The catch is we don't have any mutual friends, I don't have myself as my profile pic, nor do I use my real last name on Facebook, so I don't really know how she found me. Now I will admit to having looked at her profile a few of times (I know people say this but seriously, like four times max over the last year and a bit), so perhaps I showed up on her "People You May Know" thing? Or does Facebook not even work that way?

Jzero

OK so this a weird one. This girl I don't really know very well (she lived with a friend of mine early last year and despite being one of the most attractive women I have encountered in IRL - think Emmy Rossum but better, srsly - was painfully shy meaning we didn't interact a whole lot) just added me. The catch is we don't have any mutual friends, I don't have myself as my profile pic, nor do I use my real last name on Facebook, so I don't really know how she found me. Now I will admit to having looked at her profile a few of times (I know people say this but seriously, like four times max over the last year and a bit), so perhaps I showed up on her "People You May Know" thing? Or does Facebook not even work that way?
Did you give her your email?

jaxword

Facebook is for sure keeping tabs on how many times you visit someone's page.

This may or may not influence their own searches.

Martian

This week I haven't been able to log in to facebook.
I get a Http 500 error, and downornot says it works, so I suppose it's just me.

The weird thing is that Facebook via Incognito works in google Chrome. At least, until yesterday when that stopped working as well.

Anyone know this problem/a fix?

Top Bottom