• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factor 5 ALIVE

Discomurf

Hi GAF

Just sharing this job posting I came across for Factor 5 in Germany - it was posted on January 10th 2011.

Nice to know these guys are alive and working on som3thing. :)

6a00d834515b5c69e2013484ec6303970c-pi

Source

IIRC it was the California based outfit that closed, and Factor 5 GMBH had always been carrying on... what remains to be seen is in what capacity, what staff they managed to retain, who they're working with and what they're working on...

antonz

God I hope the new Rogue Squadron game for the Wii comes out even if its moved to the 3DS. Need Rogue Squadron!

radioheadrule83 said:
IIRC it was the California based outfit that closed, and Factor 5 GMBH had always been carrying on... what remains to be seen is in what capacity, what staff they managed to retain, who they're working with and what they're working on...

I thought too that this was the case.

Nevermind, I want to see what those guys could do with the 3DS.

They really need to ask LucasArts to make another game with Xwings. Or just make a XBLA/PSN/WiiWare/iOS/3DS/PSP Turrican 2.5D game.

Discomurf

Here is the full job post....

Factor 5 has over 20 years in the development of console games in Germany and the USA. Our affinity for technology and hardware will be appreciated by many partners around the world especially.

Junior Software Developer (m / f)
Factor 5 looking to strengthen the R & D development teams in the Cologne / Germany a junior software developers.

Responsibilities:

Development of technologies for all current consoles, handhelds and PCs

Your profile:
You have a degree in computer science or a comparable training or have acquired knowledge in practice.
Your use of C + + and object-oriented design is excellent and you know the STL and TR1.
But have no fear of assembler.
You have a basic understanding of the problems in the multi-core programming.
You can familiarize themselves independently in new technologies.
They show initiative and be a team player.
They respond flexibly to project adjustments and are able to complete your tasks with the times.
They speak fluent English.
Desirable experiences with non-Microsoft platforms
It offers an interesting challenge with room for initiative at different projects in an international company.

We look forward to receiving your application, indicating a possible start date and salary expectations.
Factor 5 GmbH
Achim Moller
Otto-Hahn-Str. 7
50 997 Cologne
de@factor5.de
www.factor5.de

-

Shiggy

Finally, after the cancellation of Brutal Legend and then the closure of WhiteHarvest LLC Factor 5 was only a shell company.

Celine

CecilRousso said:
Remind me again why Factor 5 are so popular. Please don´t say that it´s just because of the average Rogue Squadron games?
because
Teknoman said:
Turrican 3DS. 2D with 3d boss effects and awesome soundtrack. Make it happen.

Enk said:
But are they making the next Turrican?

Sho_Nuff82 said:
They really need to ask LucasArts to make another game with Xwings. Or just make a XBLA/PSN/WiiWare/iOS/3DS/PSP Turrican 2.5D game.

Hopefully they've learned from their mistakes, and can make games where the gameplay is as good as the technology now. It seemed as if every game they made from the N64 on had worse gameplay, but better tech behind it.

v0yce

CecilRousso said:
Remind me again why Factor 5 are so popular. Please don´t say that it´s just because of the average Rogue Squadron games?

No, its because of the rather good RS games.

stuminus3

CecilRousso said:
It was Turrican for me. Do THQ still hold the rights?

V_Ben

Banned
Shiggy said:
Finally, after the cancellation of Brutal Legend and then the closure of WhiteHarvest LLC Factor 5 was only a shell company.

It'll be interesting to see how they relaunch themselves after restaffing. What happened to all the old F5 people? Echbrecht (sp?) and co.

I keep forgetting that they were working on the Wii version of BL. I'm always curious as to how that would have turned out.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I've never seen anything to indicate that Factor 5 Gmbh has any employees other than Achim Moller, so the whole thing seems rather dubious to me. If this does turn into anything, I'd be genuinely shocked if it was anything more than a mobile/Facebook title.

Shiggy

V_Ben said:
It'll be interesting to see how they relaunch themselves after restaffing. What happened to all the old F5 people? Echbrecht (sp?) and co.

I keep forgetting that they were working on the Wii version of BL. I'm always curious as to how that would have turned out.

Most of the US team work at other studios nowadays...LucasArts, EA...

What about the others? Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt - who knows.

Sad to see how they only collapsed because of Brash, even though they were not the only ones.

V_Ben

Banned
Shiggy said:
Most of the US team work at other studios nowadays...LucasArts, EA...

What about the others? Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt - who knows.

Sad to see how they only collapsed because of Brash, even though they were not the only ones.

It seems that one of the only devs to make it out of Brash alive are Game Republic... Brash will be forever infamous as the destroyer of studios...

Bottlerocket :(

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
V_Ben said:
It seems that one of the only devs to make it out of Brash alive are Game Republic... Brash will be forever infamous as the destroyer of studios...
No, Zombie Studios — who was also coming off a major cancellation from Sega — has had two titles successful enough to warrant sequels since then; Wayforward seems to have done pretty decently. 7 Studios and Griptonite both still around.

V_Ben

Banned
cuyahoga said:
No, Zombie Studios — who was also coming off a major cancellation from Sega — has had two titles successful enough to warrant sequels since then; Wayforward seems to have done pretty decently. 7 Studios and Griptonite both still around.

Wow, they were all with Brash too? I suppose then F5 was just in worse shape when they were with them then. The more you know.

Shiggy

V_Ben said:
Wow, they were all with Brash too? I suppose then F5 was just in worse shape when they were with them then. The more you know.

Nintendo and LucasArts did not want to give them money anymore since they were afraid that they would use it to pay off debts instead of finishing their projects. Bottlerocket was in the same situation: They had contracts for working on Street of Rage for Sega and Scratch! The DJ, but then publishers wanted some security.

wsippel

Banned
CecilRousso said:
Turrican was already mentioned (they would need Denaris and Chris to bring it back, though), but they're also wizards. When developers made a big deal about next gen tech, Factor 5 was like "well, we already did all this stuff five years ago. On Gamecube. In eight months. For a lauch title."

antonz

V_Ben said:
Factor 5 jumping on the PS3 bandwagon doomed them. It just took longer for it to surface that they were doomed. As Shiggy said their financial status was bad enough their Partners wouldnt give them cash out of fear of misuse so they imploded.

Shiggy

wsippel said:
Turrican was already mentioned (they would need Denaris and Chris to bring it back, though), but they're also wizards.

They don't need Denaris for Turrican, Factor 5 GmbH owns it. Chris Huelsbeck would be no problem though, he recently worked with QWRKii (composed of ex-Factor 5 devs) on a pretty great iPhone title.

@Hero of Legend
Factor 5 GmbH was founded in 2003 and ownly had 2 or 3 people. They helped with the titles of the US studio and then were said to be the major part of Factor 5 when the US studio had no money left. They did not want to lose their properties in order to pay off debts.
The German studio did the VFX for Rogue Squadron 3 and some technology (DivX on GameCube, xAitment)

couldn't they easily port rogue squadron to 3ds? The system should be capable to do it and it would kick as in 3d. EEK

a new Turrican would be great as well though.

Top Bottom