• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factor 5 ALIVE

donny2112

Warm Machine said:
RS3 was a broken pile of autoplaying crap.

It autoplayed to Platinum medals? Why didn't anyone tell me this!?!

:p

I haven't played RS3 in a few years, but the flight levels still seemed top notch. The ground levels were fine if you looked at them as a bonus and not part of the core game. Didn't you have to unlock them, anyways, making them more "bonus"-like? Also, two-player RS2 was quite a nice addition. Just wish it was online. :(

Animator

Hero of Legend said:
Didn't the US studio do most of the titles we know like RS, Lair, and the canned projects? I don't remember what the Germany studio did.

Germany studio was never closed down. It was just a couple guys there anyway, the main work was done in states.

Discomurf

Factor 5 Vets Open Social Game Studio

Several former employees from Factor 5 (Lair, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron series) have formed TouchFactor, a new studio dedicated to building social games and located in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Opened last year, TouchFactor is led by Julian Eggebrecht, who co-founded Factor 5 and served as that developer's president and creative director. He is joined at the new studio by at least five artists and designers who once worked at Factor 5's U.S. office and on the popular Star Wars: Rogue Squadron franchise.

Factor 5's European division announced the closure of its U.S. arm in San Rafael, California in May 2009 shortly after Brash Entertainment, a movie license-focused publisher that Factor 5 had contracts with, shuttered. It was also reportedly affected by the termination of a key publishing contract with Sony.

The studio offers the following company description in its LinkedIn profile: "TouchFactor is committed to building social games that bring people together on all mass market platforms. We make social games that are free to play, accessible to everyone and create memorable long lasting experiences for our fans."

TouchFactor has not yet announced any social game projects it currently has in development.

Company Website (and first list of games)

Article Source

Shiggy

Sad to hear. All that's left over is a small technology studio in Germany called Factor Y and a social game studio in the US called TouchFactor. Though this explains why they could not agree on who is getting the name "Factor 5".

Discomurf

2e3yglz.png

2eg9zll.png

2cmm7as.png

5nt45.png

2prxnnm.png

Discomurf

Platform(s): iPhone, iPad, Facebook, PC, MacOS, Mobile
Genre(s): 3rd Person, Casual Games, Character Based, Fantasy, On-line, Unannounced Genre

wrowa

Admittedly you don't need to make good games to succeed in the social webspace, but nevertheless I am skeptical about Factor5's (or TouchFactor's, however you want to call them) success in that area. Factor5's games were technical showcases, but the gameplay was always decent at best. What will be left if you rip their games off of their good graphics?

Snakeyes said:
Fast forward to E3 2011...

Iwata has just announced the Nextendo, a sleek, DX11 compliant box.

Iwata: You said Wii was not hardcore. Are we going to bring that hardcore image back? That is for you to answer. Nevertheless, I'm quite sure that the game we're about to show will make each and every one of you rock hard. (laughs)

*lights dim*

The screen shows a beautiful asteroid field. Suddenly, something flies by quickly.

It's an Arwing. A gloriously rendered 1080p Arwing.

... NINTENDO X FACTORY X TREASURE

... STAR FOX 4

I can always dream right :(

I like this.

Factor 4.9?

I like this.

I'd rather Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, a compilation/remake/sequel thing of the best bits of 1,2,3, a great solo mode, competitive online multiplayer and a dedicated coop mode. No on ground sections.

Rogue Leader is the game that sold me my gamecube.

disap.ed

Platform(s): iPhone, iPad, Facebook, PC, MacOS, Mobile
Genre(s): 3rd Person, Casual Games, Character Based, Fantasy, On-line, Unannounced Genre

I hope they are doing this only for getting money for the REAL projects...

i wonder how much would the Turrican IP cost, i've actually designed Turrican 4 for some time as a pet project in our university's gamelab.

maybe we will get around to making it one beautiful day and just release it online as a non-profit tribute.

Shiggy

Does someone understand the flash game on the TouchFactor website?

(Press on the "O" in "Touch" and then click randomly and quickly around the screen. "Congratulations" will appear.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
M3d10n said:
Those images are too weird to be social games "reveals". Something smells fishy here.
Factor 5 making Banjo Kazooie CONFIRMED

jett said:
How sad.

Factor 5 DEAD
Has anyone ever escaped the Nintendo Curse?
It was inevitable.

gamingeek

Why the hell did Nintendo ever ask them to make a Starfox game?

They should have bought them and forced them to make Starfox games like Rogue Squadron till the end of all time.

MaddenNFL64

gamingeek said:
Why the hell did Nintendo ever ask them to make a Starfox game?

They should have bought them and forced them to make Starfox games like Rogue Squadron till the end of all time.

Yeah... :(

But they got trucked by some shitty company who collapsed out of the blue.

v1oz

wsippel said:
Turrican was already mentioned (they would need Denaris and Chris to bring it back, though), but they're also wizards. When developers made a big deal about next gen tech, Factor 5 was like "well, we already did all this stuff five years ago. On Gamecube. In eight months. For a lauch title."
That's so true. Factor were doing per pixel effects, unified lighting and self shadowing long before everyone else in the industry. And the fact they pulled it off in a Gamecube launch title is amazing. They even had that amazing light scattering effect in Rebel Strike which we are only recently starting to see on the current gen.

And to be honest I believe the Rogue Squadron games were superior to the Star Fox games in many ways. They are probably still the best arcade style space shooters.

v1oz

Warm Machine said:
Rogue Squadron proved they don't know how to do a flight model worth anything. I'm happy to give them a thousand chances until they get it right but the last time they made it, it was terrible. Strange how X-Wing nailed it out the gate.
Rogue Squadron is an arcade shooter so don't expect an accurate flight model. The PC games were more of simulations. If you want to know what the RS series flight controls were based off play the original vector graphics Star Wars Arcade - the gameplay is identical to the arcade classic.

So what's up with Julian? They were tech gods in the GamCube, ignored the Wii where they could have kicked some balls and now he chooses to develop social games? Incredible.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I heard that Nintendo offered Kid Icarus for these guys to develop back in 2004 but then they declined to make Pilot Wings instead... before eventually ending up working on Lair.

A F5 Kid Icarus game on Gamecube could have been incredible. *sigh*

farnham

Banned
Refreshment.01 said:
So what's up with Julian? They were tech gods in the GamCube, ignored the Wii where they could have kicked some balls and now he chooses to develop social games? Incredible.
if they just released some of their rogue squadron games with slightly updated graphics and sold their engine to third parties they could have been rich

but hey we got lair

Poyunch

Gahiggidy said:
I heard that Nintendo offered Kid Icarus for these guys to develop back in 2004 but then they declined to make Pilot Wings instead... before eventually ending up working on Lair.

A F5 Kid Icarus game on Gamecube could have been incredible. *sigh*
You so sure...?
IUaTe.jpg

Top Bottom