• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall '07 Anime Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

Shame Moyashimon is only 11 episodes long... good thing it gets good ratings and sells a good number of DVDs so we may expect a second season since they won't be able to catch up with the manga at this rhythm.

Just saw the first episode of Moyashimon and I like what I've seen so far. That shit with the
seal
was fucking nasty though :lol. Is the manga available at bookstores?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Man, I'm having Kaiji withdraws over here. Waiting this long for the new episode (especially with the last cliffhanger) is rough. Maybe we'll get lucky and get another double release like a few weeks ago.

Bebpo

Banned
thsamuraichamp1.gif

Champloo was so awesome. When's he going to make another show :(

Defuser

Wait what? Cross dressing Kei? You just kill my enthusiasm for Moyashimon!!!

Anyway,anybody watching Ef Tales of memories by Shaft?I thought it's kinda good. Ahhh ep9 is nothing but sweet revenge on Kei Shindou!

FnordChan

Masta_Killah said:
Just saw the first episode of Moyashimon and I like what I've seen so far.

As of episode four, Moyashimon has been kicking all manner of bacterial ass. Still need to sit down and check out episodes five and six.

Is the manga available at bookstores?

Only in Japan, alas. I'm hoping someone will note that Moyashimon has an anime adaptation and decide they can sell it in the US. This is sheer madness, mind you, but stranger things have happened.

FnordChan

7Th

The artsy Japan Media Arts Plaza announced this year's awarded animations:

Grand Prize: A Summer Vacation of Coo
TV Animation: Gurren-Lagann, Dennou Coil
Short-Film Release: USHINICHI, Kafka's The Country Doctor

The manga front includes a lot of stuff I don't recognize for lack of scanlations. Anyway, past winners include TokiKake, Millennium Actress, MindGame and books like Urusasawa's Pluto or Okazaki's Helter-Skelter.

http://plaza.bunka.go.jp/festival/2007/

Busaiku

7Th said:
Shame Moyashimon is only 11 episodes long... good thing it gets good ratings and sells a good number of DVDs so we may expect a second season since they won't be able to catch up with the manga at this rhythm.
Has the TV series been following the manga?
I'd have thought it would have drifted off by now.

Busaiku

7Th said:
Not really, it follows the manga really closely so far.
So as of the 8th episode which volume/chapter had the show reached?
Also, how many volumes have been released so far?
And what chapter did those Tadayasu and Kei moments happen?

Does anyone know what "ZAWA ZAWA" means? I assume it means "DIE LIKE A PIG" just from the reaction it gets from me. Kaiji is awesome.:D

Fireblend

Banned
So uhh... I just finished Planetes. I usually don't marathon through series like this but I just couldn't resist... damn. I already praised this show's character handling/development on the Gundam thread (Might as well drop that :lol ), but I really have to say it again, so very brilliant. Also it's probably among my favorite endings for anything ever.

Bebpo

Banned
Fireblend said:
So uhh... I just finished Planetes. I usually don't marathon through series like this but I just couldn't resist... damn. I already praised this show's character handling/development on the Gundam thread (Might as well drop that :lol ), but I really have to say it again, so very brilliant. Also it's probably among my favorite endings for anything ever.

Planetes was very good indeed. I think it got a little weaker at the end when it tried to have a main plot, but it was still good and some of the episodic eps were amazing.

Then the show bombed financially worldwide and Goro decided instead of directing high quality shows like Planetes he should direct Code Geass... ;_;

Beezy

Bebpo said:
Then the show bombed financially worldwide and Goro decided instead of directing high quality shows like Planetes he should direct Code Geass... ;_;
:lol

This season really sucks. I think I'm gonna start on Planetes now.

Fireblend

Banned
Beezy said:

Do so, definitely worth it. Also I didn't really see any weakness through the show, from start to finish I think it had pretty much the same level, which in this case is awesome. And I didn't know he directed Geass... damn, talk about going from awesome to pathetic.

Bebpo said:
Planetes was very good indeed. I think it got a little weaker at the end when it tried to have a main plot, but it was still good and some of the episodic eps were amazing.

WHAT!?

Bebpo

Banned
ninj4junpei said:

To his credit, even though he's the "director" for Geass, I hear he only storyboarded ep1 and then just sat back and counted the money coming in while other people made ep2-26.

Branduil

I'm pretty sure the second half of CG's first season was written by a machine that plugs in anime cliches, and then it was assembled by monkeys.

Beezy said:

do it.

I also urge all Planetes fans to pick up the manga also.

I actually recently bought the DVD set for Planetes, im gonna watch it again on my PS3.

ip916a4bb

Kyoufu said:
Excellent first 2 episodes, the rest zzzzzzzzzzz.
IT's funny you say that I just watched 4 episodes and eps 3 and 4 im just going wtf? I was hoping someone would come and shed light on being better but I guess not huh..

ip916a4bb said:
IT's funny you say that I just watched 4 episodes and eps 3 and 4 im just going wtf? I was hoping someone would come and shed light on being better but I guess not huh..

It gets more confusing as it goes. Its one hell of a psychedelic trip though. I enjoyed it, though many seem to be meh about it.

Defuser

Linkzg said:
am I going crazy, or does Genshiken 2 allude to things happening later in the series much MUCH more than they did in the manga?
Anime adaptions from manga are never 100% accurate.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
2008 is already set to be huge for Production I.G lovers. We've got Tokyo Marble Chocolate coming out in a few weeks, then there's Real Dive which is another original collaboration with Shirow, and finally the opus of them all with Mamoru Oshii stepping back into the animation ring to deliver The Sky Crawlers.

Persona looks interesting and I'll be very keen to hear Taku Iwasaki's new tunes from that. Will it sound like another Gurren Lagann or will he opt for a more Witch Hunter Robin approach? :lol

Also there should be no reason not to watch Planetes. And Moyashimon just gets cooler with every episode out.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
ip916a4bb said:
I never found Ergo Proxy to be THAT confusing. At least not where you are now. It was one of my top picks for 2006, if I remember right.

It certainly is DENSE, though, no doubt about that. It's a demanding series, and that's certainly not for everybody. And yes, it does get more abstract and confusing than where you are now, but really it all makes sense if you're paying attention.

That said, it's been long enough that I really don't remember a lot of the details about the series any more, especially the ending. :D

Bebpo

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
God, this season truly does suck. I don't like anything airing right now.

Gundam, Clannad, Ghost Hound?
I think those are all A- or better shows personally...

Moyashimon & Kaiji are supposed to be good too.
Bamboo Blade if you are into the harem department.

It seems tough to not find a single likable show.

Defuser

vas_a_morir said:
God, this season truly does suck. I don't like anything airing right now.
I'm sorry for your inexplicably high expectations and low tolerance of shows.
I have enjoyed majority of the shows airing on fall.

Anyway...
CODE%20GEASS%20-%20Newtype%20January%202008.jpg

Spring 2008!! More delightful nitpicking/bashing from GAF!!!!

Bebpo

Banned
Defuser said:

Anyway...

Spring 2008!! More nitpicking/bashing from GAF!!!!

But I thought they shot each other both dead and there would be new leads :(

Fireblend

Banned
Defuser said:
Well the mag states that this zero may not be lelouch.

If you could see me now you would watch me hit my head against the wall repeatedly, asking myself why I'm still kinda waiting for this.

Oh and great to know Gurren Lagann and Dennou Coil got that excellence prize, at least that they deserve :p

Also, I heard Planetes' manga is pretty different from the series, is this true? I could really consider it, I'm not that much into manga but I'd make an exception for Planetes. Also, the show in 10 words: Awesome realistic science fiction drama with excellent character handling/development.

Edit: Also, someone make a Winter thread, I'm only watching Gundam and Ghost Hound from this season, and now that Dennou Coil and SZS will (hopefully) get their last subs soon, I'm out of stuff to watch.

Bebpo

Banned
Defuser said:
Well the mag states that this zero may not be lelouch.

:lol :lol :lol

It's going to be some other guy and then Lelouch will pop up later in the show and there will be two of them. Geass writing is that stupid to do that.

Novid

Banned
Defuser said:

Anyway...

Spring 2008!! More delightful nitpicking/bashing from GAF!!!!

It should have been:

SPRING 2008! FEEL THE SUCKGEASS!.......oh and more nitpicking/bashing from GAF!!!

Bebpo said:
Gundam, Clannad, Ghost Hound?
I think those are all A- or better shows personally...

Moyashimon & Kaiji are supposed to be good too.
Bamboo Blade if you are into the harem department.

It seems tough to not find a single likable show.

... wait, what?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Fireblend said:
Also, I heard Planetes' manga is pretty different from the series, is this true? I could really consider it, I'm not that much into manga but I'd make an exception for Planetes.
The manga is maybe a bit more serious in terms of the emotional impact on the characters. It isn't that much different from the anime in terms of story sequences, whereas the manga focuses on Hachimaki, Yuri, Fee and Tanabe.. and the anime adds several characters to deal with the "corporation" side of it all.

If there's any reason to read the manga, it would be to finish up the story so to speak. The anime ends with Hachi about to leave for Jupiter, whereas the manga details the story after this and I think ends when he gets to Jupiter itself.

Bebpo

Banned
Shouta said:
I guess this means you haven't actually watched the show. It's not a harem. =P

Well I only watched ep1, but it's a show with a bunch of anime stereotype girls and a guy. What genre would you call it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom