• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2010 Anime Thread: Reboots, Retreads, and Rediscovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

jman2050 said:
If there's one thing you can count on in anime threads, it's unwarranted Shaft hate.

Hating on Shaft will only be unwarranted when they can keep a show consistently good and stop being synonymous with "great OP and first episode and a bunch of horribly drawn stills and awkward pacing and direction for the rest of the show".

JKTrix

jman2050 said:
If there's one thing you can count on in anime threads, it's unwarranted Shaft hate.
Are you one of those Bones haters?

A friend of mine pointed out that the song was on a YMCK collaboration album not too long ago. Which I was kind of embarrassed to be informed of, since I introduced him to YMCK.

Lain

Licking nutella off a spoon while drinking milk is a great way to enjoy anime. It makes everything sweeter.

Finished watching Onnisama e... and I liked it as a comic comedy.
It made me laugh a lot. Basically almost every time the characters on screen were crying or screaming or shouting, I laughed (I also laughed when they weren't, but in those instances, it was almost an assured thing).
The only instance in which I didn't laugh but was really moved, was during the 33-35 batch of episodes
although it was ironic that the character that didn't give a fuck about life was one-shotted as soon as she desires to actually live

I was a bit disappointed by the lack of deeper yuri. I was expecting more after Nanako confessed to Rei,
instead by the end she has fallen in love with a university guy

In regards to the various crazy girls, I found only Mariko to have a reason I could agree with for being the way she was, as well as getting closer to normality afterward.
Fukiko, Rei and Kaoru to a degree didn't convince me.
Also, Henmi. Baffling that everyone was linked to him.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's because SHAFT blows all their drug money while doing the OP/EDs for their shows.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
DY_nasty said:
I'm trying to work my way out of the rabbit hole!
Sailor Moon is less silly than Macross 7, possibly. They actually have some things in common, but not the incessant LISTEN TO MY SONG!

...until Stars.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ezalc said:
Anybody here have a backlog of anime they are going through or is it just me?
Banner series
Piano no Mori
Kaiba
Haibane Ranmei
Princess Princess
Amamagi SS

Although I'm too swamped with work to watch banner atm.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Hitokage said:
Sailor Moon is less silly than Macross 7, possibly. They actually have some things in common, but not the incessant LISTEN TO MY SONG!

...until Stars.
Can you imagine watching Macross 7 without LISTEN TO MY SONG being yelled at you every 10 minutes? I can't. Basara was the only one in the whole fleet who made any sense at all.

I think I'll try and bang out Macross Frontier next, then Crest.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Ezalc said:

Live Action Sailor Moon, which I'm currently going through very slowly. I think Hitokage might be trolling me....

JKTrix

Ezalc said:
Avoiding a sarcastic comment.

Fist of the North Star on DVD is running on my PS3 right now. That's probably my main 'backlog' project for now, particularly with the game coming out next month.

DY_nasty

I just finished Outlaw Star a few months ago... surprised that show never got a reboot or anything. Plenty to work with.

Macross Frontier: THANK YOU, finally my eyes have been shown mercy

DY_nasty

JKTrix said:
Expound. Are you talking about the movie?
Just the first episode so far... I've been watching stuff from the early 80s and 90s for the last 3 months. The movie just came out right?

JKTrix

DY_nasty said:
Just the first episode so far... I've been watching stuff from the early 80s and 90s for the last 3 months. The movie just came out right?
Yeah. I just wondered if you were talking about that, or the TV show.

I didn't like MacF's character designs the first time I saw them, particularly the eyes seemed somewhat off. Got used to them after a while though. Not as bad as Vandread or Nadesico (two other shows with eyes I thought were unsettling).

Branduil

JKTrix said:
Yeah. I just wondered if you were talking about that, or the TV show.

I didn't like MacF's character designs the first time I saw them, particularly the eyes seemed somewhat off. Got used to them after a while though. Not as bad as Vandread or Nadesico (two other shows with eyes I thought were unsettling).
No one is worse than Gundam Seed-era Hisashi Hirai.

Nishastra

Banned
DrForester said:
Live Action Sailor Moon, which I'm currently going through very slowly. I think Hitokage might be trolling me....
Oh man, I've been meaning to rewatch that for so long. I haven't watched a single episode of it since it originally aired.

I followed it religiously while it was on the air, haha.

I haven't watched much of anything in a few years, anime-wise. I haven't followed anything either, though, so I don't really have a backlog. Right now I'm watching lots of old stuff on Crunchyroll.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, speaking of which, I watched a couple episodes of Yankee-kun to Megame-chan because I enjoyed the manga.

Maybe it's because I lowered my standards a bit after Bloody Monday, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was actually neat to see them try to recreate some manga/anime visual gags in real life and some of them were actually... well, clever and visually dynamic. Go figure.

zoku88

firehawk12 said:
Oh, speaking of which, I watched a couple episodes of Yankee-kun to Megame-chan because I enjoyed the manga.

Maybe it's because I lowered my standards a bit after Bloody Monday, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was actually neat to see them try to recreate some manga/anime visual gags in real life and some of them were actually... well, clever and visually dynamic. Go figure.
I thought it was okay-ish. I still enjoy the manga more, so I never got very far in the drama (did I even finish the first episode?)

I have started watching Hammer Session though (translations for the manga haven't come out for a while.) That's pretty good so far.

Ezalc

I saw Read or Die the TV today. I don't know what the hell was going on. I thought it was going to be a show about "paper benders" then it becomes some conspiracy theory shit, what the fuck?

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Ezalc said:
I saw Read or Die the TV today. I don't know what the hell was going on. I thought it was going to be a show about "paper benders" then it becomes some conspiracy theory shit, what the fuck?

:|

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zoku88 said:
I thought it was okay-ish. I still enjoy the manga more, so I never got very far in the drama (did I even finish the first episode?)

I have started watching Hammer Session though (translations for the manga haven't come out for a while.) That's pretty good so far.

Well, they can only do so much with a 10 episode series I suppose. Just replicating the hyper-reality of manga physics in real life was amusing to me, which is a big change from when I was a bit put off by Bloody Monday and Detroit Metal City.

Heck, I'm also space nut enough to want to check out the Twin Spica drama sometime (not to mention the Sailor Moon drama).

Ezalc

Nonoriri said:
I like to call them paper benders I think it's funny, paper masters is boring. Even so I thought the show would be about them not some giant conspiracy to bring back some guy who sounds like he's god.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Pokémon Best Wishes! 04:

cnSQt.jpg

Just how many times can they do the whole "pokeyman mistreated by its master gets all better by training with Ash"? I guess after fourteen years there's no place to go but back to the beginning.

Pokabu is so cute. Imma everstone the shit outta that bacon. You're never evolving!

Ezalc

Regulus Tera said:
Pokémon Best Wishes! 04:

cnSQt.jpg

Just how many times can they do the whole "pokeyman mistreated by his master gets all better by training with Ash"? I guess after fourteen years there's no place to go but back to the beginning.

Pokabu is so cute. Imma everstone the shit outta that bacon. You're never evolving!

I hope that it doesn't end up as another Charmander...

Ezalc said:
I like to call them paper benders I think it's funny, paper masters is boring. Even so I thought the show would be about them not some giant conspiracy to bring back some guy who sounds like he's god.

You should have watched the OVA first imo

firehawk12 said:

WAT there is an anime?

Edit: oh its live action

zoku88

firehawk12 said:
Well, they can only do so much with a 10 episode series I suppose. Just replicating the hyper-reality of manga physics in real life was amusing to me, which is a big change from when I was a bit put off by Bloody Monday and Detroit Metal City.

Heck, I'm also space nut enough to want to check out the Twin Spica drama sometime (not to mention the Sailor Moon drama).
Maybe I should give it another try. Maybe I came in with too low of expectations.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
cosmicblizzard said:
And he fuckin gave it away :/

He didn't. He left it at Charizard Valley or whatever so that it could become stronger. Kind of like Goku when he went to train to that room where time ran slower.

Charizard beating Articuno with Seismic Toss was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom