• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2010 Anime Thread: Reboots, Retreads, and Rediscovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

mAcOdIn

InfiniteNine said:
Blasphemous fake quote
I'm seriously doing the math in my head to see if I can make it to Austin and back before work tomorrow, pray the math says I can not.

Anime makes it pretty simple to see who likes girls and who likes women.

flawfuls

Lain said:
Read the manga, it's amazing even if a bit over dramatized.
I watched a bit of the 2005 version of the anime and some of the old version. The new version definitely looks better, but really the manga is superior.
I own and have read up to the 44th volume and simply love it (and 45 and 46 will be published in february and march here! Can hardly wait).

Thanks. I'll read the manga.

Lain said:
Gokusen had an anime and a drama? Is the anime good?
I only knew of the manga and of that movie.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember it being pretty low budget and just not very good. The manga is better in pretty much every way.

Branduil

Blader5489 said:
Everyone in that show has the same face.
Which is why it was so surprising when I found out he did the Infinite Ryvius character designs, because that show is full of characters who look unique and not awful like the Seed ones. Sometime after that he must have snapped.

mAcOdIn

Don't fret too much over those Funimation SAVE sets, they're usually around 17 dollars so if you miss the sale you're only out 4 bucks or so.

Jex

Nonoriri said:
I was kinda looking forward to that, but then Shaft. Oh well.
Hellsing321 said:
Oh its completely warranted.
7Th said:
Hating on Shaft will only be unwarranted when they can keep a show consistently good and stop being synonymous with "great OP and first episode and a bunch of horribly drawn stills and awkward pacing and direction for the rest of the show".
It's a good thing they made Bakemonogatari and that all you crazy people are, indeed, crazy.

Geneijin

Amagami SS - 14
Ranking of character arcs so far:
Kaoru > Morishima > Nanasaki (haven't watched Sae's yet).

Not much else to say besides a question: why no teacher arc? They did a full body pan of her for a few seconds. Clearly, there's a demand they're aware of. Might as well go all out if that DVD bonus/special is true of the 7th girl.

And they're really giving Miya some screen time.

ZjK6C.gif

Halycon said:
Banner series
Piano no Mori
Kaiba
Haibane Ranmei
Princess Princess
Amamagi SS

Although I'm too swamped with work to watch banner atm.
You're giving Amagami SS a chance? Promise you'll drop it once you're bored of it. Unless you only want to watch for Kaoru, then episodes 5-8. A reset happens after each character arc is finished and each character arc is 4 episodes long, so you can avoid the trouble and wasted time and watch whomever you want. But even so, I wouldn't recommend watching it.

Ezalc said:
Anybody here have a backlog of anime they are going through or is it just me?
Giant Killing
Durarara

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Lain said:
Read the manga, it's amazing even if a bit over dramatized.
I watched a bit of the 2005 version of the anime and some of the old version. The new version definitely looks better, but really the manga is superior.
I own and have read up to the 44th volume and simply love it (and 45 and 46 will be published in february and march here! Can hardly wait).
Read up this on wikipedia. And wow, it was first seralized in 1976 and it isn't finished? :lol although apparently the author intends to end the series soon.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Geneijin said:
You're giving Amagami SS a chance? Promise you'll drop it once you're bored of it. Unless you only want to watch for Kaoru, then episodes 5-8. A reset happens after each character arc is finished and each character arc is 4 episodes long, so you can avoid the trouble and wasted time and watch whomever you want. But even so, I wouldn't recommend watching it.
Is sex hair present throughout the entire series?

That's all I care about really.

Jex

Lafiel said:
Wolf's rain 11 - The story of this show is certainly interesting, but i'm not exactly riveted or engaged by anything that's going on. I had the same feeling when i was watching Rahxephon for example.
Don't you compare the two! One has a kind-of ongoing plot in a traditional sense, the other is a rather stretched out "fable".

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Jexhius said:
Don't you compare the two! One has a kind-of ongoing plot in a traditional sense, the other is a rather stretched out "fable".
I was just looking for a excuse to criticize bones!

Geneijin

Halycon said:
Is sex hair present throughout the entire series?

That's all I care about really.
aJvyL.gif

After each character arc is done, they'll reappear for a moment in another arc in each episode. Some are really short moments. But yes, Kaoru is present and she was in this episode too.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Macross Zero 1: ORE NO UTA O KIKE! MY BODY IS READY! LET'S...hey, it's a bunch of island hippies talking about birdmen and communicating with earth. Neat. At least Focker's keepin' it real.

Despite being CG-filled techno wankery, the battles seem quite well done and the protracted transformation and targeting system was cool to see. Interesting soundtrack as well. It seems solid, but I'm dreading the heavy environmentalist/spiritual bent it's obviously going to persue. huolgblughfl

DY_nasty said:
lol that tag

C5ppml.jpg

Haly

Geneijin said:
After each character arc is done, they'll reappear for a moment in another arc in each episode. Some are really short moments. But yes, Kaoru is present and she was in this episode too.
Sex.

Good enough for me!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'm dreading the heavy environmentalist/spiritual bent
I had those same feelings when i first watched macross zero. I honestly find the old man and his monologues about the BIRD MAN to be incredibly grating in the worst way possible. And funny thing is - i absolutely hated the singing when i watched it. (zero was my first macross) so i wonder if i'll appreciate it more on a re-watch, considering I <3 the singing in SDF macross and the like.

Haly

Oh god that is not healthy for me.

::drooooooooooooool::

Haly

I hate you and love you at the same time Geneijin, I just might bump up Amamagi at this rate.

Jex

So, as I mentioned earlier Heat Guy J has a messed up office. But that wasn't the main problem with episode 18.

No, the real problem comes from this action sequence near the end of the episode. This being a Statelight production you might well hope that at least this scene would be handled well.

Oh dear. So, we see our heroes pinned down here :

Kyoko learns about this on the magical exposition TV device :

And decides to get help. After she does this we return to the action here :

But how long did it take Kyoko to get help? The answer is about 1.5 minutes. This removes any sense of fast-paced action or suspense that this sequence was supposed to have. Where did it all go wrong?

Here's how. After seeing the TV news, this series of event's happen :
MCU on Kyoko's reaction - 2 seconds
Tilting Crane LS of Aurora for - 9 seconds
CU Aruora's head - 1 second
MCU Kyoko - 2.5 seconds
CU Aurora - 9 seconds
CU Kyoko - 1 second
CU Spinning car wheel - 1 second
MS Kyoko inside the car - 1 second
LS to ELS shot of car speeding down highway - 1 second

Alright, so, at least that's done and we can crosscut to the action right? Nope.

Establishing LS of Lab - 1.5 seconds
CU Antonia - 2.5 seconds
Slow tilt up J's body - 5 seconds
MS Anotina - 4 seconds with lots of calm fill lighting everywhere
EL of Kyoko running in - 3.5 seconds
MS of Kyoko and Anotonia - 11 seconds
CU Antonia - 1 second
CU J's face - 1 second
CU Antonia - 2 seconds
CU reaction shot of Kyoko - 1 second
CU "turn-on-device" - 1 second
CU J - second
Match action cut to CU J which holds for - 1 second
MS J - 4 seconds
CU Kyoko - 4 seconds

And now, back to the action!

Who paces there scenes like this when it's supposed to be exciting? I really don't know how this kind of mess would get past the storyboarding stage. It's so slow and lifeless.

And oh yes, SHAFT and Shibo make conversations about a thousand times more exiting then this shit. Because they're actually good at making anime.

mAcOdIn

I finished Giant Robo, not sure what to say, I still can't decide if it was good or not. Obviously it wasn't bad as I finished it I just can't decide if it's good good or merely good as in acceptable. I don't want to waste my necromancer powers on such a lifeless post.

But I did not watch the Ginrei specials, I tried watching one but it was just too stupid, sometimes those things work other times, not so much.
Geneijin said:
-1 obstacle.
Towards what exactly?

Erigu

[Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt]
Branduil said:
Why is it problematic?
I don't know: that's why I'm intrigued! :lol
They tweeted that they were told that episode was problematic in its current state (i.e. that it can't be aired, I assume). They didn't expect that particular feedback and needed to discuss among themselves and decide how to handle that.
I wonder what turned out to be a problem (and hopefully, I won't have to actually watch the show to find out)...

[Glas no Kamen]
Lafiel said:
Read up this on wikipedia. And wow, it was first seralized in 1976 and it isn't finished? :lol although apparently the author intends to end the series soon.
Boy, that series...
If I remember well, the author went and retconned a whole bunch of episodes that had been serialized but not yet compiled in volumes. On several occasions. The publisher would release some kind of band-aid / "not-quite-an-actual-volume-but-it-should-make-the-wait-more-bearable" compilations and readers who had followed the serialization would find out than none of the "recent" episodes of the past few months/years had actually happened. And then, the volume would finally come out (generally accompanied by an earthquake... so I'm not sure releasing two new volumes like that is responsible), and it would be yet another complete rewrite.

Dead

well not really...yet
http://aniplexusa.com/rod/index.html

GHgSG.jpg

ROD complete Blu-Ray box

* To be released January 18, 2011
* 3 OVA + 26 TV Episodes on 5 discs!
* Deluxe box simulated Japan's release
* 48-page deluxe booklet with English translation
* OVA & TV trailers
and more!

SRP - $199.98
Pre-order Price - $159.98
After Street Date - $169.98

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Erigu said:
[Glas no Kamen]

Boy, that series...
If I remember well, the author went and retconned a whole bunch of episodes that had been serialized but not yet compiled in volumes. On several occasions. The publisher would release some kind of band-aid / "not-quite-an-actual-volume-but-it-should-make-the-wait-more-bearable" compilations and readers who had followed the serialization would find out than none of the "recent" episodes of the past few months/years had actually happened. And then, the volume would finally come out (generally accompanied by an earthquake... so I'm not sure releasing two new volumes like that is responsible), and it would be yet another complete rewrite.

That dosen't sound to bad for new readers. Who would probably read it volume-by-volume.:lol is the author some kind of perfectionist or something? or do these retconned chapters make the series worse?

Dead

well not really...yet
The Japanese boxset is $455 and this US one is apparently going to be a pure replica of that one, and is made by aniplex themselves.

So its a pretty good bargain in that context. Better than a shitty funimation release if anything.

Geneijin

mAcOdIn said:
Towards what exactly?
Since I don't want to spoil it for Haly because there are some rather entertaining bits even if it's on very, very rare occasions (firehawk12 knows what I could have used), this will have to do:

ke7eO.gif

Dead

well not really...yet
Hitokage said:
Being provided lube isn't a bargain. Besides, the TV show sucks. ;)
Well, I posted it for whoever liked it. Id buy the OVA on blu-ray if it was released seperately for sure.

mAcOdIn

Dead said:
The Japanese boxset is $455 and this US one is apparently going to be a pure replica of that one, and is made by aniplex themselves.

So its a pretty good bargain in that context. Better than a shitty funimation release if anything.
Is it really better than a Funimation release? Funimation may not give us a nerdy nerdier box or book but it wouldn't have a SRP of 200 bucks either. Aniplex is going to price themselves into oblivion with this shit and pull out just like everyone else that thinks anime buyers in the US mirror Japan.

And the Durrarra series will cost 120 bucks after buying all three volumes, that's crazy.

These shows aren't even that great.
Geneijin said:
Since I don't want to spoil it for Haly because there are some rather entertaining bits even if it's on very, very rare occasions (firehawk12 knows what I could have used), this will have to do:

ke7eO.gif
I'm saying, if he no longer likes sex hair and you reply that that's one obstacle removed, what's that implying? That you want him to choose another character? Yourself? Gaf? Mao from FMP?

Hitokage said:
Being provided lube isn't a bargain. Besides, the TV show sucks. ;)
True and true.

Dead

well not really...yet
mAcOdIn said:
Is it really better than a Funimation release? Funimation may not give us a nerdy nerdier box or book but it wouldn't have a SRP of 200 bucks either. Aniplex is going to price themselves into oblivion with this shit and pull out just like everyone else that thinks anime buyers in the US mirror Japan.

And the Durrarra series will cost 120 bucks after buying all three volumes, that's crazy.

These shows aren't even that great.

I'm saying, if he no longer likes sex hair and you reply that that's one obstacle removed, what's that implying? That you want him to choose another character? Yourself? Gaf? Mao from FMP?

True and true.
Funimation video quality and encoding is pretty fucking shit from what ive read/seen, that is what I meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom