• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2010 Anime Thread: Reboots, Retreads, and Rediscovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
HMV japan also has an english interface option.

Ive ordered from there, Amazon, and CDJapan and have never had any problems with any of them (except when Amazon Japan used to always ship using DHL, ugh, but I think theyve fixed that)

Jex

7Th said:
it just isn't fit for Branduil's special tastes:
Branduli is no doubt, unamused.

Although I'm not quite as enamoured with the project as some, I guess I still like it more than Branduli.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dead said:
HMV japan also has an english interface option.

Ive ordered from there, Amazon, and CDJapan and have never had any problems with any of them (except when Amazon Japan used to always ship using DHL, ugh, but I think theyve fixed that)

Ooh, what do they ship with now?

Oh boo, I guess they don't ship some games out of the country. :lol

Jexhius said:
You're going down a dark path!

Looks like I was saved by trade regulations or something. Joy. :lol

(Can't believe I was almost going to buy the Sora no Woto PSP game).

Dead

well not really...yet
firehawk12 said:
Ooh, what do they ship with now?

Oh boo, I guess they don't ship some games out of the country. :lol

last time I shopped there, they used Fedex, but that was more than a year ago

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dead said:
last time I shopped there, they used Fedex, but that was more than a year ago

Ooof, private couriers are a pain.

InfiniteNine said:
Don't worry guys I'll buy it even though I've never really played a Persona game and mock you!
maybe.

Just buy the games then!

Risette

A Good Citizen
InfiniteNine said:
Don't worry guys I'll buy it even though I've never really played a Persona game and mock you!
maybe.
bert.gif

Buy the games instead!

Dresden

Well, you should play 3FES. They're basically VNs with dungeon crawling tacked on, now that I think about it.

I wonder if I should bother with Fortune Arterial.

Risette

A Good Citizen
firehawk12 said:
How much was it on Amazon? Amiami has the limited edition for 3560 yen. They usually have good prices on games in my experience. I got my Ketsui LE for like $60 (+$19ish shipping) and it's like $110+ everywhere else I've checked!

Also I just put that yen amount into a converter and holy shit the exchange rate sucks. I probably won't be getting my J360 this year. :( Looks like that Ketsui LE of mine is going to stay unopened for awhile.

Geneijin

firehawk12 said:

Well, there is a OreImo PSP game coming out.
My Little Sister Can’t Possibly Be This Cute, or “Oreimo” in short, is revealed to be released on the 27th January 2011. The exactly same date as SEGA’s Valkyria Chronicles 3 too!

The PSP version of Oreimo is a visual novel that fans of the anime series wouldn’t want to miss out on, or those who wish to have a cute sister. The game will be released in two different versions, one being a standard version and the other, limited edition version.

The standard version comes with a special box, a short story and game art collection booklet. All of these at 6,800+ yen. However, if you’re really a fan of otaku sisters, the limited edition will be a much bigger treat, considering the inclusion of a poster set, and best of all: a special cut anime DVD. Catch up on certain missing stuff in the anime!

This is the game your “sister” should play!

There’s also yet another special item inside the limited edition: the inclusion of a particular game adult adventure game that Kirino (“your” sister) plays. Called Imouto to Koishiyo or translated as Love My Little Sister, the game features 6 heroines, all of which are fully voiced. They even have an official site for the series’… uh… game!

A DVD that teaches you how to “Imouto-talk” is included in both versions too. Apparently, you can learn how to talk like Kirino, a most useful skill if you dream of your sister like how Kirino is like!

One of the most interesting feature of the game is the usage of an engine called the Live2D engine. Displayed promptly in an iPhone application called Barcode Kanojo, Oreimo will also be using the same technology to display moving 2D images (something like 3D… uh… 2D models). You can check out the example of Barcode Kanojo here. - Source

Dresden

There’s also yet another special item inside the limited edition: the inclusion of a particular game adult adventure game that Kirino (“your” sister) plays. Called Imouto to Koishiyo or translated as Love My Little Sister, the game features 6 heroines, all of which are fully voiced. They even have an official site for the series’… uh… game!
Interesting. A game inside a game that features a girl who loves games.

That actually sounds interesting, though. Makes it sound like it'll be more than just a cheap cash-in.

I finally got around to watching Panty and Stocking now that it is free for us peons, and I'm not really sure what to think. It started off pretty weak, and it seems kind of one note, but the second half got stronger towards the end. I'll at least give it another episode or two. It's about what I expected, quality wise.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
InfiniteNine said:
Well I've already owned 3 FES for about over a year now. Also NCSX will be the place to go to Sora no Woto when they put up the pre-order.

It seems to be out everywhere already, so I have no idea. I haven't been able to find any English language impressions of it either... but that's probably because no one cares about the game I suppose.

Also, just get Persona 4 and play that!

Aigis said:
How much was it on Amazon? Amiami has the limited edition for 3560 yen. They usually have good prices on games in my experience. I got my Ketsui LE for like $60 (+$19ish shipping) and it's like $110+ everywhere else I've checked!

Ah, that's not bad. The normal edition on Amazon was 2500 yen I think, but it was also their last copy. I'll keep that site in mind though - it's the first I've heard of it!

Dresden said:
Interesting. A game inside a game that features a girl who loves games.

That actually sounds interesting, though. Makes it sound like it'll be more than just a cheap cash-in.

A VN about a person who plays VNs featuring a girl who plays VNs. Rabbit hole indeed.

Currently watching Macross : DYRL and its very interesting seeing the changes they made from the TV series so far.

I'm sad they
changed SPACE TUNA into something more logical
though :(

Will keep on watching.

Jex

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I finally got around to watching Panty and Stocking now that it is free for us peons, and I'm not really sure what to think. It started off pretty weak, and it seems kind of one note, but the second half got stronger towards the end. I'll at least give it another episode or two. It's about what I expected, quality wise.
Pretty much how I felt.

I'm surprised GAF is still here. That's good.

mAcOdIn

Branduil said:
Why would GAF not be here?
I think he means as in sort of following Panty and Stocking or perhaps just in this general thread as opposed to the larger ones, I don't think he meant "here" in the context of existing.

I'm convinced I'm now trapped in some kind of parody world, only way I can see people actually thinking Star Driver's fabulous(by any take on the word) or Panty and Stocking(yeah finally caught the first ep) is funny, it's like we just have to like something. But I can't talk as I'll probably get some kind of enjoyment out of Index.

Is Subaru a girl or not? I'm still not sure either way.

Jex

Branduil said:
Why would GAF not be here?
I was simply referring to the great culture wars of...last night.

I barely noticed the script in this weeks P&S, although one line that irked me was about the girl saying her name was Barbie, and then either Panty or Stocking mentioned that there's a doll with the same name.

You shouldn't really point out the joke by having a character explain it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Its only been an episode and a half, but I'm already disliking Ranka's character design...

mAcOdIn

DY_nasty said:
Its only been an episode and a half, but I'm already disliking Ranka's character design...
I think you made it an episode and a half further than the rest of us before finally coming to hate her.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
I was simply referring to the great culture wars of...last night.

I barely noticed the script in this weeks P&S, although one line that irked me was about the girl saying her name was Barbie, and then either Panty or Stocking mentioned that there's a doll with the same name.

You shouldn't really point out the joke by having a character explain it.
Were the skin color threads that important to GAF?

I didn't think the jokes had the same problem in P&S 2 as in the first episode, they had whole new ones. Like being parodies of stories we've already seen a million times and have been parodied a million times. The stone has been squeezed, the horse is dead. And certainly there is no drama in any of the stories since the characters are cynically manufactured cliches. None of this would be a problem if it was actually funny, but there's just nothing particularly laugh-inducing. I think part of the problem is that everything is so surreal and fake. You could make the argument that absurd situations are what the humor is, but, to me, that only works in contrast to some sense of normality. If everything in the universe is absurd, nothing is.

And even the animation's novelty feels like it's starting to wear off.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The normalcy is found in the context of anime as a whole, surely?
Given how much intertext works in anime, especially comedies, I'm perfectly fine with that.

DY_nasty

mAcOdIn said:
I think you made it an episode and a half further than the rest of us before finally coming to hate her.
If they keep playing Macross 7 tracks at random intervals during the show, I'll have no choice but to keep watching.

I don't like this Misa impersonator either...

mAcOdIn

DY_nasty said:
If they keep playing Macross 7 tracks at random intervals during the show, I'll have no choice but to keep watching.

I don't like this Misa impersonator either...
I didn't really like anyone in Frontier to be honest.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
The normalcy is found in the context of anime as a whole, surely?
Given how much intertext works in anime, especially comedies, I'm perfectly fine with that.
Well, people keep saying it's funny and entertaining so that's presumably how it works for them.

It's interesting, as 2B or 4 or 2.2 or whatever showed, there wasn't really a set format for how the show would work. Ghosts aren't even necessary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
Well, people keep saying it's funny and entertaining so that's presumably how it works for them.

It's interesting, as 2B or 4 or 2.2 or whatever showed, there wasn't really a set format for how the show would work. Ghosts aren't even necessary.

Well, to bring up PPG again, I'm pretty sure there was an episode where the sisters fought and made up with each other (or maybe they fought with the professor, same dif I suppose).
Certainly the episode felt familiar anyway.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Highschool of the Dead seems even more over the top than the Manga, didn't think that was possible. I know it was a summer season show but who can keep up when there's starcraft and civ?

DY_nasty

wtf, global doppelganger running the bridge?
Kodiak said:
Highschool of the Dead seems even more over the top than the Manga, didn't think that was possible. I know it was a summer season show but who can keep up when there's starcraft and civ?
I liked it.

Edit: lol punched in the face like Renton. It must be <3

mAcOdIn

Hellsing321 said:
Don't make me post the video again!
Which one? I don't know if that's a threat or not without knowing which video we're talking about.

If it's the ho, ho, ho one I just don't have to click it. Haha. Although I probably would anyways out of curiosity.

And you like Ranka?

Jex

Damn you Salazar/Acephalous, now I've gone and written down a lengthy breakdown of one single scene in an anime. It's even too lengthy to post here, great.

Salazar

Jexhius said:
Damn you Salazar/Acephalous, now I've gone and written down a lengthy breakdown of one single scene in an anime. It's even too lengthy to post here, great.

:lol

Zealous interpretation makes the world go round. Sterling job.

Just finished DYRL and it was interesting.

I prefer the TV series though since it had time to flesh out some stuff but the movie was cool with that extra/different stuff plus they had a limited time to work with. The animation was great and i'm surprised the went out a bit with some of the violence/gore (
dude who lost his head as an example
)

Some of the differences were sad though :(

Plus Kakizaki.......dude, messed up way to go :lol :lol

DY_nasty

Infinite Justice said:
Just finished DYRL and it was interesting.

I prefer the TV series though since it had time to flesh out some stuff but the movie was cool with that extra/different stuff plus they had a limited time to work with. The animation was also great.

Some of the differences were sad though :(

Plus Kakizaki.......dude, messed up way to go :lol :lol
I felt the same way pretty much.
Roy's death was so out of nowhere... shit just caught me off guard. "Hey everyone, I'm Kakizaki and this is my second line in the mo-UGHHHH" *boom*. Epic tramp slap was epic.

And damn, did Max just get more awesome? I love how during all of his fights he's never actually afraid or threatened. He just makes "oh shit! that was kinda close lol" faces throughout the movie :lol

Jex

Suffice to say, I mainly learnt that eventually I will run out of names for all the film techniques that Shinbo uses. In episode one I noticed :

Extreme Long Shot, Long Shot, Medium Long Shot, Medium Shot, Close Up, Extreme Close Up. Establishing Shot, POV, Pulling Focus, Slow Motion (these last three were all combined!)
Tracking Shot/Dolly Shot, Discontinuity Editing, Continuity Editing, On screen timer
Chiaroscuro lighting, Low Key Lighting, High Key lighting.
Steady cam, Rapid Editing, Slow editing, Low Angle shot, High Angle shot, Birds Eye View
Match on action, matte shot , soft lighting, tilt, pan, time lapse, Kuleshov effect
Strange framing devices, Deep focus, Distored Mise-En-Scene, Repeated geometric shapes, Reaction shot, Hard lighting, tight framing, masking, extreme low angle
Dolly Zoom (traditional), Dolly Zoom (reverse), "smash cut". Canted/Inverse camera, Canted/Sideways camera, Canted+Extreme contrast, tracking shot mounted on bicycle, heavy masking, eyeline match, stage lighting, off-screen space.

And various other things that have no names because cameras cant usually move that way without breaking in half. Such as the Dolly Zoom to Extreme Low-Angle Reverse Dolly Zoom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom