• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2010 Anime Thread: Reboots, Retreads, and Rediscovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

Dresden said:
You should all be thankful I took the bullet and watched it long enough to get to that gif'd part.

I mean, I would've watched it anyways, whatevs yo.

As soon as I finished the Accelerator arc and dropped the show forever I looked up how the rest of the plot progresses episode-by-episode and I still feel like I dodged a huge bullet by stopping where I did :lol

sphagnum

Banned
Alright, so just finished Occult Academy. Overall I think it was pretty enjoyable - not exactly what I was expecting, but certainly good enough on its own merits. I think I was expecting something a little bit creepier, but instead it was just kind of weird.

I don't think all the two parters were necessary, or all the time spent on Bunmei and Mikaze, but every episode was consistently entertaining and they all just flew by. The only ones I really had any problems with were 11 and 12 just because they were so out of left field and felt like a totally different genre. And even though I wasn't big on
Bunmei and Maya getting together
, I think the final episode overall was a pretty fitting way to end the series. Plus I like melancholy endings, so those are always the best.

I think I'd give it a B+ edging reallllly close to an A- overall. I just wish it was longer and had more unsettling stuff.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Oh those Bakumans - finally someone calls out the bullshitty-ness of the pseudo relationship, but I imagine it goes nowhere? :lol
Everyone keeps saying that the Bakuman manga is great and all, but what anime really needs is a Peepo Choo adaptation.
icarus-daedelus said:
They do that several times throughout the show, including at the end of the very first episode IIRC. As always it's a lame and distracting technique.
You're never getting into the sorority with that attitude.

If you're gonna do a static pan or static image (which shows already do all the time) might as well make it an EXTREME postcard.

mAcOdIn

Branduil said:
She's only mostly dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.
True Love!
flawfuls said:
I wonder why more people don't use the seemingly unavoidable "make people explode at will" spell, you would think it would be pretty useful. Too bad Miss I never use the same attack twice already used it, but I guess drastic measures were needed to defeat the terrifying Himegami.
Right. It is annoying how some people can do all sorts of perverse shit with magic and yet settle for fireballs and spikes coming out of the floor, I guess a battle between real mages would look like nothing but a staring match to outside observers while they wage some massive cellular battle between themselves.

Also, that gif looks way more exaggerated than what I remember reading, guess they're going for shock value, not that anyone'd care if she did die, she's not integral or even prominent in the show. Index would be a whole lot better if they did kill of so many of these characters, there's just too many but then Kubo Tite had to go one up Index when he made Bleach.
cosmicblizzard said:
I care :(

More about the fact it happened rather than the character it happened to though. That seems extremely gruesome for Index and it got me curious about the episode which I really don't want to watch now since it's past 3:30 AM
The next arc with Accelerator seems to be pretty fucking gory but I'm not sure if they'll cover it in this season. If not should I hope for a third season or can they maybe start a new trend and just animate the good parts?
Vox-Pop said:
Natsume just made me tear up. :'(
Natsume? Natsume Yuujinchou?
----------------------------------------
Soredemo 11 was kinda weak this week. Whoever said I'm tsundere towards Arashiyama I guess can treat themselves to a cookie as I hated her again. Kon remains awesome evil Kon is awesomer.

mAcOdIn

Geneijin said:
So I watched The Disappearance movie last Friday. Am I a condescending bastard for feeling less nerdier than some of the other patrons? Wonder if it's normal.
Probably normal, I think I'm less nerdy than everyone else too, I even think I'm less nerdy than you! But I think it's funny, we're all nerds, even if some of us could be classified as a lesser or greater nerd among us in this thread according to everyone else not in this thread we're all equally huge super nerds.

Geneijin said:
http://i.imgur.com/SLVHO.jpg

Best anime of Winter '11: Freezing
Kimi ni Todoke Season 2
I dunno. nothing really appeals to me, again, so I'll see if something surprises me. I will say one thing positive, even though it's all got freaking kids, again, as always, at least there's some variety, zombies, Cthulhu, Victorian Gothic, sadly it's all mostly moe but varied moe it is, maybe something in there will turn out decent. Also, I thought Kimi ni Todoke was good but I don't know if I can battle through a second season, I kinda got baited and switched with that as I thought it was going to go pretty quick and then it just flatlined relationship wise. I should have known better.

farnham

Banned
so amigami is pretty much finished (still some eps left. but meh looks like its an omake character).

i think i liked the ending of ayatsuji the most but overall i prefer the morishima arc. the ayatsuji arc had a lot of potential but it did not come into fruition. mostly because it was only 4 eps i guess.

Jex

DY_nasty said:
LOGH - 26

I don't think I've ever been more sad watching anime...
It's quite the way to end a season.

I've finally come to terms with my feelings about Zeta Gundam. To illustrate, I've used pictures (click to make them BIG. Well, more like big).

Here's how well thought out a prisoner escape is in Mobile Suit Gundam:

And here's how a similar situation is resolved in Zeta Gundam:

Yeah.

Foxix Von

JKTrix said:
Because it was bad?
QCQ2s.jpg

Sorry, I just saw an opening that screamed out, "Attack!" So, I did.
I liked Heroman enough. Don't think I ever got close to that, though.

But guys, Trigun!

Edit: More people in this thread need to watch Fist of the North Star.

WHAT!? It was so great!

It was the really slow episode about Joey's dad. For some reason that got to me, then again I cry really easily. :lol

Jex

Star Driver 12: They just keep giving Watanabe more and more attributes. Youth, 'beauty', wealth, 'intelligence', business sense (which in TV and movies means having giant Televisions displaying stock information) and now extreme strength?

Of course, it's all for nought.

This episode wasn't bad or boring, but I feel Watanabe has already had plenty of characterisation and I still kind of find her boring, perhaps because she just does everything extremely well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmm, I didn't realise Takeshi Koike studied under Yoshiaki Kawajiri. This may explain a lot.

Jexhius said:
Star Driver 12: They just keep giving Watanabe more and more attributes. Youth, 'beauty', wealth, 'intelligence', business sense (which in TV and movies means having giant Televisions displaying stock information) and now extreme strength?
Of course, it's all for nought.

This episode wasn't bad or boring, but I feel Watanabe has already had plenty of characterisation and I still kind of find her boring, perhaps because she just does everything extremely well.

it was interesting when she knocked the fuck out of that student who boxes :lol

Jex

Otome Yokai Zakuro 12: You thought it was all over, but it will keep going for some reason. Possibly to do with pacing.

Whoah, I guess these posts should be semi-rationed.

Blader

Watched a few movies lately.

Gurren Lagann: The Lights in the Sky are Stars somehow manages to top the original series for the most epic final battle ever.

Conversely, both Eden of the East I and II added absolutely nothing to the series, had nothing of merit on their own, and, I think, retroactively ruin the show. I liked Eden of the East, I like the ideas behind it and I like Kamiyama's intent with the show, but in the end, it ultimately didn't amount to anything. Much as the cliffhanger would have killed me (hence why I watched these movies in the first place), I think I would've been better off just stopping after the end of episode 11.

Jerk

Banned
So, I am finally watching this section after skipping it the first time around, and I am really enjoying it. The mini-stories in this arc are much more enjoyable than the ones that preceded them imo.

The one thing I do not like is how rigid and regimented all the episodes in the arc feel. To be honest though, that is something I dislike about the entire series. I understand that the rituals and routine all serve a purpose, but I would have enjoyed the series more had it been less predictable (structure-wise) filler-heavy.

Currently finished Wakaba's 2 Episodes and I think they are my favourite (even if they again rehashed RGU's theme of obsession and unhealthy attachments).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Is the Yosuga no Sora finale worth watching or am I better believing they both get torched by the village because of their sins against genetics?

Branduil

Demon Maiden Zakuro 12:

Omodaka is kind of a dumbass.
You would think between his mother screaming every time she saw him and his dad being a douchbag, he would have already realized she loved him. But I guess seeing her get busy with a human destroyed his ability to think rationally. Really though, anyone could have seen Spider-lady betraying him coming.

Kushimatsu's inability to recognize the boy her master gave birth to is also somewhat strange.

This show gives the impression that Spirits are mentally deficient and emotionally unstable.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Branduil said:
Demon Maiden Zakuro 12:

Omodaka is kind of a dumbass.
You would think between his mother screaming every time she saw him and his dad being a douchbag, he would have already realized she loved him. But I guess seeing her get busy with a human destroyed his ability to think rationally. Really though, anyone could have seen Spider-lady betraying him coming.

Kushimatsu's inability to recognize the boy her master gave birth to is also somewhat strange.

This show gives the impression that Spirits are mentally deficient and emotionally unstable.

Did that dreamy soldier who saved the day in episode 2 or 3 ever come back and be evil?

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
Did that dreamy soldier who saved the day in episode 2 or 3 ever come back and be evil?
Of course.

Also, Omadaka or whatever, the bad guy being talked about, is the dreamy soldier.

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
Anime needs to stop telegraphing that shit. :lol
What does it matter when all three random pairings worked right from the start? The show is generic as hell, everything there was telegraphed and phoned in. The only curve ball the show threw was the main guy Aramaki, or whomever, actually being a wuss and bad with people and I guess by extension spirits. I haven't watched episode 12 but it's tough mustering up the desire to do so now that my Mushi-shi DVD set came in. Literally got it 20 minutes ago, man the process to rip it to my computer is so boring. I could watch Zakuro right now but I don't really want to, especially after hearing Jexhius say it's not over. Ugh.

mAcOdIn

Lol, I wonder how they'd handle a wedding in Zakuro, maybe go western style but get that rabbit/chupacabre thingy as the ring bearer to keep the rings in it's mouth like her twig/sword, that would be so awesome I could swoon if I knew how.

Slightly related but not personal story, my father tried to set me up at a family reunion. In 1995. In the United States. In Texas, I know, now it's not so shocking but fucking still. Ah well at least there were more degrees of separation than just the father in my circumstance, lol. I've come to accept my father's a little crazy but was kinda disappointed my mother didn't side with me, kinda just stayed silent the whole car ride. I'd also like to think it was a joke, a real long one that overstayed it's welcome, but a joke none the less.

So, umm, anyways, if incest in royalty was common in the past I guess incest in spirit royalty would be pretty common as well, even longer since I guess spirits are old fashioned like that.

farnham

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Watched a few movies lately.

Gurren Lagann: The Lights in the Sky are Stars somehow manages to top the original series for the most epic final battle ever.

Conversely, both Eden of the East I and II added absolutely nothing to the series, had nothing of merit on their own, and, I think, retroactively ruin the show. I liked Eden of the East, I like the ideas behind it and I like Kamiyama's intent with the show, but in the end, it ultimately didn't amount to anything. Much as the cliffhanger would have killed me (hence why I watched these movies in the first place), I think I would've been better off just stopping after the end of episode 11.
Problem about tengen toppa is that kamina was too great of a character

they tried to establish simon as a second kamina but he never reached the awesomeness of his character by a bit

for me the series ended with ep 8 (but up until then it was the best series besides evangelion and nadia that gainax ever did )

Geneijin

Does anyone know if the Subaru & Gainax anime will air on youtube for the U.S. too? Saw the announcement just now.

mAcOdIn said:
Probably normal, I think I'm less nerdy than everyone else too, I even think I'm less nerdy than you! But I think it's funny, we're all nerds, even if some of us could be classified as a lesser or greater nerd among us in this thread according to everyone else not in this thread we're all equally huge super nerds.
I guess. I just realized the extent of my fanaticism by being there, and it was a somewhat noteworthy experience to remember because I know my limits now.

Articalys said:
So ufotable is doing an anime adaptation of Fate/Zero. I'm not very familiar with the Nasuverse but apparently this is a big deal. I'm sure some of you will be happy.

Official Site, not much there right now though, just a splash page with art.
Speaking of ufotable, I blame Joule for getting me interested in this. Needs to air sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom