• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2010 Anime Thread: Reboots, Retreads, and Rediscovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

mAcOdIn

Steroyd said:
I try to avoid it, but I keep getting sucked back in. :(
More like hit over the head with it, it's not like they hide it as a surprise at the end of some compelling piece, it's just in so much shit as an aside or the actual focus.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
That too, but also breeding.
Are you referring to
when she came back and he wanted to use her to create more half-breeds?

I don't think he wanted to that himself, actually I don't think that's possible, since they're both fully spirit.

mAcOdIn said:
More like hit over the head with it, it's not like they hide it as a surprise at the end of some compelling piece, it's just in so much shit as an aside or the actual focus.
I could say something here, but even naming the show would spoil it then.

mAcOdIn

Branduil said:
I could say something here, but even naming the show would spoil it then.
Don't read if you don't want to be spoiled on something!
The only time I ever thought it was done well as a surprise was in Oldboy. I haven't seen a single show I thought did it well and I swear by my pocket knife if you were thinking Zakuro I'd, well, disagree with you over the internet. But, it's probably one of the usual suspects since you said "show."

Jex

duckroll said:
Paste it in your browser. Famitsu links can't be hotlinked for some reason.
Ah. That looks pretty darn cool.

Also: somehow we've hit the final page for this thread.

Finally:
mAcOdIn said:
Yeah but, if it's a surprise at the end it doesn't mean much. I mean, it turns out you banged your sister but neither of you knew it at the time. The only thing you can do is put your best clothes on, find your blade and cut open your stomach like a real man.

Where as if you both know it going in that's messed up and fairly interesting.

It's really the fault of those individual shows for not treating that subject matter in an interesting way.

Branduil

mAcOdIn said:
Don't read if you don't want to be spoiled on something!
The only time I ever thought it was done well as a surprise was in Oldboy. I haven't seen a single show I thought did it well and I swear by my pocket knife if you were thinking Zakuro I'd, well, disagree with you over the internet. But, it's probably one of the usual suspects since you said "show."
No, it was a better show than Zakuro.

mAcOdIn

Jexhius said:
Yeah but, if it's a surprise at the end it doesn't mean much. I mean, it turns out you banged your sister but neither of you knew it at the time. The only thing you can do is put your best clothes on, find your blade and cut open your stomach like a real man.
I don't know about that. I personally don't have a huge problem with incest from a moral standpoint which I find interesting in a way. I get that genetically it's bad and society frowns upon it now, but aside from that, well who cares? That's the worst that occurs? Shit you could get a vasectomy or the girl's tubes tied and so long as you didn't give two fucks about what society thinks there's no real problem so I'm not sure it's really a "bad" thing worth me finding morally wrong.

I say I find it interesting because if I accept strengthening or at the least preserving a standard of genetic "goodness" a moral responsibility then it should also be equally unacceptable for society to allow people with poor eyesight, high cholesterol, a history of heart disease, people with a predisposed chance of obesity or whatever to be in sexually active relationships yet all of those are ok. Kinda makes no sense to me. Of course I imagine it comes down to how many people it could affect, I imagine genetically a very large segment of the population have some kind of negative thing here or there but very few of us want to bang an immediate relative so they're an easy target I guess.
Jexhius said:
Where as if you both know it going in that's messed up and fairly interesting.
I don't know if I'd just assume it'd be interesting.
Jexhius said:
It's really the fault of those individual shows for not treating that subject matter in an interesting way.
But this is 100% true.
Branduil said:
No, it was a better show than Zakuro.
I believe it, I know of several that involved incest between brother and sister that I thought were better, I wouldn't say they were compelling though but there's no accounting for individual taste. :)

Jex

mAcOdIn

Not it! I volunteer Dresden as I usually agree with him.

Jexhius said:
But anime are made in Japan by the Japanese and suicide by blade is the classic solution to this kind of problem, at least in shows I've seen. Jumping off something is also acceptable.
Something, something, know about Japan, something, something, honor and shame, something, something.

Jexhius said:
I suppose in America you'd either eat your own gun or become a religious leader.
Now what'd be interesting is a show with this as the premise that goes in that specific order.
Also, was looking forward to a true incest discussion, Jexhius is the embodiment of disappoint.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Jerk 2.0 said:
So, I am finally watching this section after skipping it the first time around, and I am really enjoying it. The mini-stories in this arc are much more enjoyable than the ones that preceded them imo.

The one thing I do not like is how rigid and regimented all the episodes in the arc feel. To be honest though, that is something I dislike about the entire series. I understand that the rituals and routine all serve a purpose, but I would have enjoyed the series more had it been less predictable (structure-wise) filler-heavy.

Currently finished Wakaba's 2 Episodes and I think they are my favourite (even if they again rehashed RGU's theme of obsession and unhealthy attachments).
Whoever told you to skip the Black Rose Arc is a dirty liar and should feel ashamed for concocting such lies.

tiff

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Is the Yosuga no Sora finale worth watching or am I better believing they both get torched by the village because of their sins against genetics?
Well,
I suppose you can just believe they drowned at the bottom of that lake.
Hcoregamer00 said:
I thought the ending was great.
I liked it too. Sweet ending.

Jerk

Banned
Hitokage said:
Whoever told you to skip the Black Rose Arc is a dirty liar and should feel ashamed for concocting such lies.

It was several people actually and I completely agree with you.

Anyhow, I ended up just marathoning the rest of the series again. Just like a well written novel, this series is much more rewarding the second time around.

I still think the pacing, dialogue and general story-telling are all a bit lacking, but the themes present are rock solid, really well thought out and subtle; I cannot believe that I thought the series to be heavy-handed the first time around (some of the themes are pretty overt though...).

I still dislike Anthy for being such a doormat though(even if that is the way she 'empowers' herself).

Wiktor

Enron said:
Why the hell is anyone even watching Index II :(

I weep for the current state of anime
God help me, I have no clue and yet I watch every episode as soon as it airs :lol

I guess I like Touma and Misaka as characters, but this still isn't enough to explain it. What's weirded I absolutely loathed most of Railgun.

Wiktor

InfiniteNine said:
sdifjhgsfjhgdfsligjdsfigj FUCK YES! Nitro Plus/Type-Moon goodness animated! Ah, dreams do come true! Now to see if it's good and proper!
Nasuverse deserves so much better than what it got with Tsukihime and Fate/Stay animes. Kara no Kyoukai owned like hell, so this has immiedietely jumped into my most wanted list. Heck...I loved everything ufotable has made in recent years and I don't see Fate/Zero ending this trend :D

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
AdrianWerner said:
Nasuverse deserves so much better than what it got with Tsukihime and Fate/Stay animes. Kara no Kyoukai owned like hell, so this has immiedietely jumped into my most wanted list. Heck...I loved everything ufotable has made in recent years and I don't see Fate/Zero ending this trend :D
I'm pretty excited considering it was written by a Nitro+ writer, and their writing is just wonderful! I expect ufotable to have a nice vision of the fight scenes and general atmosphere to work from. :D The Type Moon/Nitro+ friendship is a wonderful thing. I'm going to play some Nitro Royale now in celebration! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdynYEUMYhE

Milky Holmes 11 - Awww.... expelled, I feel pretty bad for them... :( And now they broke up, too. The three villain guys are happy and think they won, but Arsene of course is mad, and decides to go on a giant thieving spree to try to get them to get their powers back or something.

Then we see the girls of Milky Holmes, now failing at other jobs (Sherlock is a waitress in a ramen shop, Cordelia is trying to sell flowers, Nero to tell fortunes, Hercule trying to sell books of her own poetry...). Funny stuff, this is a pretty good episode. Sherlock gathers them to try to stop Arsene and the gang.

And then Arsene reveals her "true plan"... she has Henriette tied up over Grand Yokohama Gorge, and she'll cut one rope an hour, because if she kills her then she'll take over Yokohama for the Gentleman Thieves... or that's what 'she' says, but of course it's just a plan to draw in Milky Holmes (and a pretty funny scene after that little bit... :lol). But they're not detectives anymore, so they don't go... Sherlock wants to but can't convince the others. G4 (the police girls) go to try to beat the villain guys, but get crushed. Kokoro's even turned into a doll. So after some drama Milky Holmes finally show up... and the thief guys ignore them, thinking them useless as usual. :lol

And then, at the end, Milky Holmes get their powers back! Awesome, they defeat the surprised guys. Next time, the final (probably) battle between Arsene and Sherlock, she wanted to fight Sherlock at full power (I'm skipping some stuff, don't want to spoil everything, watch the episode! :)). Overall, great episode, another one of the better ones in this series.

Dresden

Geneijin said:
I thought Dresden wanted to do the Winter thread anyway? Didn't hear anyone else interested at the time.
Did I? :lol Will start working on it then.

I'm pretty excited considering it was written by a Nitro+ writer, and their writing is just wonderful! I expect ufotable to have a nice vision of the fight scenes and general atmosphere to work from. The Type Moon/Nitro+ friendship is a wonderful thing. I'm going to play some Nitro Royale now in celebration! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdynYEUMYhE
I was a little surprised since I thought DEEN had a death-grip on the Fate animu stuff, but I guess not.

Decado

Enron said:
Why the hell is anyone even watching Index II :(

I weep for the current state of anime
Maybe a few years ago...but the tears have dried and has been replaced by contempt.

Only holding out for tidbits on the Berserk reboot (or whatever the hell it is). The other shows I was looking forward to seems to be dead in the water. Everything else looks awful besides the Black Lagoon OVAs (waiting for it to finish).

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Dresden said:
I was a little surprised since I thought DEEN had a death-grip on the Fate animu stuff, but I guess not.
Maybe a contract expired? I know I would have liked Unlimited Blade Works to have been handled by ufotable instead. I'm just glad to see some Nitro+ work get animated again after pretty much being against their things being adapted after the trainwreck Demonbane animu (They said as much in Muramasa Jo.) It's not a Full Metal Daemon Muramasa anime, but I'll take it!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
X9UCT.jpg

Welp, that was the best episode of Pokeymanz this season. It focused on what the series does well (cockfighting) and though it had plenty of humorous moments, they never fell into slapstick. About the only defect I can find is Team Rocket's insertion into the plot -they are not even meeting the protagonists, so...?

That Belle girl would have been a much better companion than broccoli hair and tomboy girl.

Dresden

Almost done with the new anime thread, but it'll have to wait until I get back home tonight. Fucking forgot to put in Houkage no Pleiades or any of the OVAs.

Regulus Tera said:
X9UCT.jpg

Welp, that was the best episode of Pokeymanz this season. It focused on what the series does well (cockfighting) and though it had plenty of humorous moments, they never fell into slapstick. About the only defect I can find is Team Rocket's insertion into the plot -they are not even meeting the protagonists, so...?

That Belle girl would have been a much better companion than broccoli hair and tomboy girl.

i have to admire your dedication to watch this.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Caught up to Panty&stocking.

Episode 10 - The Chuck to the future segments were excellent, with part 3 in particular being very atmospheric and creepy. Liked the music video at the end, quite a bit to.

Episode 11 - The single cut episode was so awesome. And somehow thanks to it's excellent execution and direction managed to keep me entertained throughout.

Episode 12 - First half was a entertaining little recap. Second half was HOLYSHITAWESOME. Bring on the finale!

expy

Banned
Dresden said:
Almost done with the new anime thread, but it'll have to wait until I get back home tonight. Fucking forgot to put in Houkage no Pleiades or any of the OVAs.
Just edit it after. =p

BosSin

Hello people I have 3 crunchyroll guest passes just sitting around and I thought that rather than just letting them expire I would give them away to anyone interested.

PM me and I will reply with the link

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
DY_nasty said:
Its been outstanding so far.

If I were to watch LOGH, where should I start, according to Wikipedia, there are:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Golden Wings
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War
Legend of the Galactic Heroes Side Stories
And the 110 Episode OVA.....

Can someone give me a brief order, or what's optional?

-------------

I also finished watch Simoun after hearing it recommended by someone in this thread, it is very fun to watch, as long as you don't expect a lot of ship battle.

Foxix Von

Oh man doomsday is quickly approaching this thread :lol

Also, fist of the north star is awesome! I was seriously expecting to have to wait a lot longer for the Ken-Oh fight.

JKTrix

kiunchbb said:
If I were to watch LOGH, where should I start, according to Wikipedia, there are:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Golden Wings
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War
Legend of the Galactic Heroes Side Stories
And the 110 Episode OVA.....

Can someone give me a brief order, or what's optional?

The Conquest movie, then the 110 episode main series. That movie leads directly into the series. The rest of the stuff is whatever. Watch them after the 'Conquest' movie and the main series.
Edit: 'Overture to a New War' is a retelling of the first two episodes, so perhaps you could watch that in place of the first two OVA eps. I can't remember what was different, but it probably expands on things a little more.

Whoa, this thread getting close to the limit eh?

farnham

Banned
Lafiel said:
Caught up to Panty&stocking.

Episode 10 - The Chuck to the future segments were excellent, with part 3 in particular being very atmospheric and creepy. Liked the music video at the end, quite a bit to.

Episode 11 - The single cut episode was so awesome. And somehow thanks to it's excellent execution and direction managed to keep me entertained throughout.

Episode 12 - First half was a entertaining little recap. Second half was HOLYSHITAWESOME. Bring on the finale!
cant be stressed enough

MM! Finale

This is why I hate on-going light novel adaptations. The series is about curing some dude of his masochism yet the finale is a friggin birthday party. No closure at all. Maybe they'll be a season 2, but probably not :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom