• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

Denzar

Either way, so excited for this. Hopefully they will announce a 3015 release date at E3. New engine looks amazing.

I'l sure they'd be able to get the game bug free by then!

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Seriously though. Have they said it's a new engine?

I remember them saying that Skyrim used a new engine. In reality, while the game looked way better than Oblivion, it was still a (heavily) modified Gamebryo engine.

Do we know what resolution the trailer footage was? Would it be safe to assume it was 4k downscaled to 1080p or something...?
No way in hell that trailer was shot anywhere near 4K, the aliasing it burns!
This is something that I don't understand about the majority of current game marketing, why are trailers all shot and uploaded in the highest possible resolutions (4K+)? Wouldn't it make sense to show the game in it's best?

MattyG

Banned
Oh fuck please no. Disappointment of the gen so far if true. Fuck graphics, it's the core designs and features that are going to be neutered, making sure that a game two years or more into the next gen isn't doing anything that couldn't be done on 10 year old hardware. Fuck no.
Well the rumor that this would almost confirm is that the PS3/360 version in on the old engine and any upgrades in terms of gameplay and features in Fallout 4 are removed. I don't think they're going to "neuter" it. Not 100% sure on that, but it sounds plausible.

Everyone needs to just chill the fuck out until we have confirmation about this stuff.

partyboy

No way in hell that trailer was shot anywhere near 4K, the aliasing it burns!
This is something that I don't understand about the majority of current game marketing, why are trailers all shot and uploaded in the highest possible resolutions (4K+)? Wouldn't it make sense to show the game in it's best?

Didn't Rockstar release all the original GTA5 trailers at 720p only? Again showing their superiority.

Morokh

Just don't understand why the most annoying people on the internet are also the most popular. Can't watch Pewdiepie for more than 5 seconds, and I had to stop Francis' video after about 30. Shame well spoken, intelligent youtubers who have interesting things to say can only get 50-100k subs. (not that I disagree with his message- Fallout is about the gameplay, not the sick graphics). But we do know what Bethesda is capable of, so there's no reason for it to look like last gen either.

Just fyi Francis is just a persona, Boogie is an interesting Youtuber to listen to when it comes to videogames and industry topics, Francis videos are just a fraction of the videos he makes.

I was a bit like you at first but I actually started to like Francis videos way more after I started to watch Boogie's more 'serious' videos, they really put things into perspective sometimes.

MGrant

The Fallout motif seems to be used well, which is no surprise. Bethesda are great at doing that. And I like that the world seems a little less doom-and-gloom this time around. Hope that means a new kind of story.

But those animations and textures need work, especially the people and ghouls, and a little AO wouldn't hurt. Hopefully we'll see some improvement over the coming months; kudos to Bethesda for not setting themselves for any kind of "downgrade" scandal, haha.

Bluenoser

Just fyi Francis is just a persona, Boogie is an interesting Youtuber to listen to when it comes to videogames and industry topics, Francis videos are just a fraction of the videos he makes.

I was a bit like you at first but I actually started to like Francis videos way more after I started to watch Boogie's more 'serious' videos, they really put things into perspective sometimes.

Ah ok, maybe I'll check again. Just can't stand people yelling at me. Angry Joe doesn't get my views for this same reason.

The Fallout motif seems to be used well, which is no surprise. Bethesda are great at doing that. And I like that the world seems a little less doom-and-gloom this time around. Hope that means a new kind of story.

But those animations and textures need work, especially the people and ghouls, and a little AO wouldn't hurt. Hopefully we'll see some improvement over the coming months; kudos to Bethesda for not setting themselves for any kind of "downgrade" scandal, haha.

I actually thought those animations were pretty good compared to everything else.

Onemic

graphics dont look too hot, but then again fallout 3 looked pretty bad too, so this is par for the course for Bethesda

partyboy

I literally feel so bad for Bethesda right now. 4 years of hard work. And then this.

I don't. If Fallout 4 turns out to be an incredible game that is significantly improved from the formula they've been using since Oblivion, then sure, I will look back and think OK we jumped the gun and they actually delivered something worthwhile.

Do you honestly expect it to be a significant improvement from their previous games though? We can only speculate and I'm guessing it's going to be just another incremental upgrade like their last 2 games. Bethesda have given me no reason to expect otherwise.

Really, how much money does Bethesda have to make before the average person will also expect just a little bit more out of them? They take no risks, they recycle engines, they care more about celebrity voice overs than writing quality. They have all the resources in the world but look at what they settle with. I don't feel bad for them.

UberLevi

Speaking of ghouls, did anyone else notice that there's nearly a dozen of them in that shot? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Fallout 3 or New Vegas having particularly high numbers of enemies per encounter.

rawd

He nailed it. Bethesda knows what to focus on and how to use their resources properly to deliver the amount of content we see in their RPGs, and that's the reason they stand out against other games and the reason we value them so much.

Jesus Christ.

I literally feel so bad for Bethesda right now. 4 years of hard work. And then this.

What game doesn't get ragged on nowadays. The internet needs a giant sanitary pad

todahawk

Speaking of ghouls, did anyone else notice that there's nearly a dozen of them in that shot? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Fallout 3 or New Vegas having particularly high numbers of enemies per encounter.

Good catch, combat balance will be interesting to see. Loved my Ratslayer in NV and the dart gun in FO3

Derp

I think they'll be alright.
Sales wise? Of course they will. I'm not talking financially though, I'm talking personally. I'm sure they aren't too stoked to see the way a lot of people have reacted (even though they're probably used to it). I mean, I would if years of my hard work was being overlooked thanks to graphics expectations. It's not like they've lied or spun some bullshit to push sales, if anything they've done the opposite by showing realistically what it'll actually look like.

I understand that a lot of people are simply critiquing the visuals (which is of course a feature of a game), but others seem to be talking like it's the only thing that matters. These games are different. They aren't as reliant on graphics as other games are, since they rely HEAVILY on content, world building, exploration, writing, longevity, replayability, exploration, etc, to sell themselves. It's why we play them, isn't it? Good graphics have never been the reason their games are so highly regarded. This game is honestly being unfairly compared to others that can afford (and need) amazing graphics to be relevant, and it shouldn't be.

These reactions are what encourages companies to throw out bullshit trailers. And then we get pissed off when they do it (and I won't lie, I was one of the people pissed off with CDPR).

Just never change, Bethesda.

I don't. If Fallout 4 turns out to be an incredible game that is significantly improved from the formula they've been using since Oblivion, then sure, I will look back and think OK we jumped the gun and they actually delivered something worthwhile.

Do you honestly expect it to be a significant improvement from their previous games though? We can only speculate and I'm guessing it's going to be just another incremental upgrade like their last 2 games. Bethesda have given me no reason to expect otherwise.

Really, how much money does Bethesda have to make before the average person will also expect just a little bit more out of them? They take no risks, they recycle engines, they care more about celebrity voice overs than writing quality. They have all the resources in the world but look at what they settle with. I don't feel bad for them.

Compare Oblivion and Skyrim. I mean seriously. Look me in the eye and tell me those two games are mechanically identical.

I can understand a lot of the complaints people had with Skyrim, but I didn't have any of those with Fallout 3 really. Maybe it's because the Fallout universe is so much more compelling than Elder Scrolls to the point where I didn't notice much.

The targeting system is way better than anything Elder Scrolls did if nothing else.

Please assist

Disgracefully, I have never tried the Fallout series. I don't get much time to game nowadays.

I want to get in to it, in anticipation for Fallout 4 (the hype is too real, can't avoid it...). I'll be trying either Fallout 3 or New Vegas, and I don't know which to pick. What would you recommend, and why?

Atmosphere is pretty important to me and I saw somebody saying that Fallout 3 was barren/dead compared to New Vegas. If true, is it considerable? Looking over the titles briefly it's daaaaaaaaaaaamn difficult to make a decision.

Also... How long does it generally take to be able to make threads here? I've been a member for a few months but noticed I'm unable to post a thread. Thanks.
3 months plus a couple hundred posts

Please assist

Disgracefully, I have never tried the Fallout series. I don't get much time to game nowadays.

I want to get in to it, in anticipation for Fallout 4 (the hype is too real, can't avoid it...). I'll be trying either Fallout 3 or New Vegas, and I don't know which to pick. What would you recommend, and why?

Atmosphere is pretty important to me and I saw somebody saying that Fallout 3 was barren/dead compared to New Vegas. If true, is it considerable? Looking over the titles briefly it's daaaaaaaaaaaamn difficult to make a decision.

Also... How long does it generally take to be able to make threads here? I've been a member for a few months but noticed I'm unable to post a thread. Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks, Beelzebufo.

partyboy

Compare Oblivion and Skyrim. I mean seriously. Look me in the eye and tell me those two games are mechanically identical.

I didn't say they were "identical" I said there were only incremental upgrades. You can't say Skyrim plays that much differently to Oblivion, and the pure gameplay in these games has never been good to begin with.

Alebrije

I like the doom and gloom ambient since we are talking a Fallout affected civilization, I am afraid thar if Bethesta moves the series to a new growing era where people are re building their social estructures and cities the game will feel and look like Bioshock Infinity. Fallout is about surviving and I hope they keep that feel.

Also that guy Francis is right and wrong at the same time , we have not seen any gameplay yet so the only we can talk about is how the graphics looked in the trailer , I am fine with what I saw since the beginning knew this generation would be like the last one but with more polished effects.

I just hope they do not include the anoying "Cazadores" this time but I am afraid they will be.

Bluenoser

I can understand a lot of the complaints people had with Skyrim, but I didn't have any of those with Fallout 3 really. Maybe it's because the Fallout universe is so much more compelling than Elder Scrolls to the point where I didn't notice much.

The targeting system is way better than anything Elder Scrolls did if nothing else.

3 months plus a couple hundred posts

Don't think it's that straight forward. I've been a member 6 months and have close to 300 posts, and I'm still junior- can't make threads, so I think it's random lol.

You lot are so fucking bitter, FO3 and NV weren't special graphically but the gameplay was awesome, more to it than just graphics and frame rates.

Derp

Please assist

I would make a thread for you but I'm not sure if that's... "allowed"...

If you really want that atmosphere I'd recommend Fallout 3. I personally found New Vegas more enjoyable in every aspect except for the atmosphere, setting and general world design.

But play them both. Seriously. They're amazing. I'd start with FO3, and then go on to NV as, mechanically (given FO3 is older than NV), it may feel like more of an "upgrade" rather than a "downgrade", if you get what I mean.

Steel

Banned
Why do I get the feeling that people will be arguing about the graphics until launch instead of worrying about... You know... The game.

I mean at the moment I kinda get it since there's not much else to point out(though the scene with a ton of NPCs makes it look like they'll have a lot more pop density than 3 and NV, which would be worse discussing). But their being 136 pages about it is... Not pretty.

Almost, yeah. Oblviion was just faster.

Tovarisc

Why do I get the feeling that people will be arguing about the graphics until launch instead of worrying about... You know... The game.

I mean at the moment I kinda get it since there's not much else to point out(though the scene with a ton of NPCs makes it look like they'll have a lot more pop density than 3 and NV, which would be worse discussing). But their being 136 pages about it is... Not pretty.

Trailer tells us very little / nothing about gameplay itself so graphics is basically what we can debate about. After E3 presentation, assuming they give us good chunk of gameplay, you can expect page after page of gameplay analysis and fighting :D

Please assist

I would suggest New Vegas. I personally thought it was a better story and overall tighter game compared to Fallout 3. Then again I played both on consoles, so if you're going the PC route and using mods, then I don't know.

Aaron D.

A Fallout 4 Graphics Discussion Here And Nowhere Else thread could elevate all a lot of this toxic FUD.

partyboy

I think the main hook of Bethesda's games for most people is exploring a large world. That's the thing everyone agrees is good about them. Graphics actually play a part when it comes to how immersive that world is.

I think if Bethesda had a reputation for producing strong writing, meaningful choices, great gameplay systems, this thread wouldn't have blown up like it did. They have a reputation for being bad to mediocre in all of those things so really, what is there to discuss at this point in time?

MattyG

Banned

Yeah, I'm worried about this too. 4 years of waiting for this game and THIS is what the discussion goes to, overreaction and exaggeration about the visuals.

Steel

Banned
I think the main hook of Bethesda's games for most people is exploring a large world. That's the thing everyone agrees is good about them. Graphics actually play a part when it comes to how immersive that world is.

I think if Bethesda had a reputation for producing strong writing, meaningful choices, great gameplay systems, this thread wouldn't have blown up like it did. They have a reputation for being bad to mediocre in all of those things so really, what is there to discuss at this point in time?

They're also known for having mediocre graphics though... In bethesda games it's generally the world(not including graphics) and mods that get people hooked.'

Trailer tells us very little / nothing about gameplay itself so graphics is basically what we can debate about. After E3 presentation, assuming they give us good chunk of gameplay, you can expect page after page of gameplay analysis and fighting :D

I kinda doubt we'll have a 100+ page thread about gameplay details unless their's a forced PC.

partyboy

They're also known for having mediocre graphics though... In bethesda games it's generally the world(not including graphics) and mods that get people hooked.

Right. So when I see Fallout 4's trailer it's not a matter of "damn that's ugly, I can't play that!" (I definitely can play something that looks like that.) It's more "OK so nothing's changed, business as usual for Bethesda. Why should I expect anything different when it comes to all the other areas of their game that could use improvement?"

I don't understand why some people are getting so defensive over the graphics in here. They are subpar compared to modern day open world titles. At least in THIS trailer. That could improve however.

People being upset with the levels of visuals on display is plenty understandable

Thanks for your help guys.

Fortunately something has made this decision easier. I was going to purchase on my laptop so I could play in my spare time, and Fallout 3 isn't optimized for Windows 7 & above (I'm running 8.1). Many Steam complaints about the game crashing.

So it looks like it'll be New Vegas for me.

Thanks again.

Steel

Banned
Right. So when I see Fallout 4's trailer it's not a matter of "damn that's ugly, I can't play that!" (I definitely can play something that looks like that.) It's more "OK so nothing's changed, business as usual for Bethesda. Why should I expect anything different when it comes to all the other areas of their game that could use improvement?"

That's bascially how you should take it, yeah. Generally a one post concept. Not expecting people to go in with blind hype knowing the company's work. That being said NV arguably looked worse than Fallout 3 and was good, so graphics were never really the problem.

Simply don't see why there should be a hundred pages of "bethesda sucks for having OK graphics"

Sotha_Sil

Welcome to pre-release GAF, where there's "concern" over The Witcher 3 because of downgrades and Fallout 4's graphics but Killzone Shadowfall and Second Son were going to be "so good" because of their graphics.

Granted, we'll know more once BGS does their big real-time demo at e3.

Top Bottom