• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
fallout 3 looked like dogshit, but that didnt stop me from sinking over 100 hours into the game. basically, it looks good enough.

big_erk

people complaining about the graphics needs their eyes checked, if you can';t notice any of the improvements just go ....go into a vault and never come out like vault 11!

Yeah, I don't get the graphics whining. Fallout games are always epic and the graphics are always good enough to convey that sense of awesome. That moment when you first step out of the vault in Fallout 3 is one helluva reveal.

The graphics are fine folks.

Zornack

Why is the protagonist a white male?

Ah, good point, I hadn't caught that. Crisis reinstated.

Bethesda games haven't graphically impressed me since Oblivion to be honest.
I play them for the gameplay. Which is all the graphics whining is funny to me.

There are many other open world games that are pretty if you want to play them.

Yeah, same here, Bethesda hasn't impressed me graphically for awhile. But even though the graphics aren't something to write home about the games still have their moments of beauty. And they're just damn fun...

Fury451

Banned
Uhh... no we don't?

Hard to say for sure- maybe as an intro or something.

There could be some sort of flashback mission too; the games have toyed with that before.
Wouldn't mind seeing that as a possible plot-centered expansion honestly. That way you could tell a nice tight contained story, and even have it be a simulation like what Operation Anchorage was.

Except have it be, you know...not crap, like Operation Anchorage was.

Might be the European release date, with the US version releasing the previous week.

Yeah, definitely. Although the last year or two the European retailers have been keen to jump on the Black Friday train (especially online retailers) and push sales. Doesn't matter though, whenever this game drops I'm in.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
This game was in pre-production since 2008, and full production since 2011 - two years before current gen consoles went on sale and before they even officially existed. Fallout is a series expected to sell 10 million + copies these days. Chances are extremely high this started out as a cross-gen game but shifted to current gen only a year or so ago when Zenimax were convinced by PS4/Xbone adoption rates to ditch the larger install base of last gen.

That explains the lower-than-expected graphic quality. At least we'll easily be seeing 1080p and 30+fps on consoles, and PC gamers know not to worry about visuals in Bethesda Game Studios titles anyway =)
That actually sounds very likely.

I honestly hope more games take the low graphic approach. It'll be healthier for the industry in the long term. I'd rather they spend the resources making a more detailed world.

This is the reality we face

Until there is someway to reconcile all the challenges and costs associated with making games look better than this...

Do we need to point out the criticisms levied against the "better" looking games as proof?

Panda Rin

Looks just about right to me. Not quite sure what people were expecting in terms of graphics...I mean have you played New Vegas/F3?

Also seems to be more denser areas, which is welcome.

haikira

Really? We're reaching new depths, here.

You don't see the similarities below? Pfft, I think you either need glasses, or need to sit closer to your monitor.

Casuals.

zqtcse8q3qsp.jpg

Man, some of y'all need to remember what Fallout 3/New Vegas looks like.

Looks exactly the same to me.

hkgppcr4sr4r.jpg

Excuse me chaps, while I go to cancel my pre order.

PulseONE

Yeah the city looks massive. If you can actually go in all those buildings, seamlessly, we're going to have a great game on our hands. Im almost thinking a mix of Fallout and DayZ, where survival mechanics play a much greater role than in the previous games.

You'll be back.

Give me hardcore mode style survival aspects and I will be in heaven

Let me scavenge, let me plan, it adds so much immersion to a game!

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
You guys either let other current gen games spoil you or had your expectations too high but either way if the graphics bother you that much go buy the PC version as I'm sure someone will make a mod to make the game more pretty for you and charge for the mod as I predict Paid Mods will be back with a vengeance in Fallout 4 but as for me this is a significant upgrade compare to Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas I played on PS3.

Omega

Banned
Not sure why people are surprised about the graphics complaints.

This is the same forum that thinks Witcher 3 looks like a PS3 game after all.

Some people just can't comprehend the notion that someone can like a game and yet have a valid complaint against it's aesthetic...

What can you do...

So in your mind saying that this game looks like it could render on a 3DS is the same as just not liking its aesthetic. Right. You said some dumb shit dude, people are allowed to call you on being needlessly hyperbolic.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Btw, will there be rage when the game is released and the graphics are upgraded, because then they can't run it as well on their system?

Seiru

Banned
No you wouldn't.

Go play a 360 game and think about what you said

I went back and watched some of the gameplay trailers for Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I stand by what I said. I'm not saying they're exactly the same, just that I would believe it.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This game was in pre-production since 2008, and full production since 2011 - two years before current gen consoles went on sale and before they even officially existed. Fallout is a series expected to sell 10 million + copies these days. Chances are extremely high this started out as a cross-gen game but shifted to current gen only a year or so ago when Zenimax were convinced by PS4/Xbone adoption rates to ditch the larger install base of last gen.

I completely agree with this.

Arjac

at least we know the graphics aren't gonna get downgraded! I bet they'll improve as the game gets closer. This is probably how the game looks now and they know faking it would be worse in the long run.
Yeah, when your target render looks like that it speaks wonders about the full release /s

Hopefully that is the ipad version in the trailer.

Hahahaha ok I know this must be a joke.

But I do find the trailer visually underwhelming and having never played Fallout before,
this trailer did nothing for me.

But Bethesda ain't known for graphics it's their world building that make for amazing games.

Hopefully some gameplay will intrigue me at a later date.

How are you in any position to make that claim?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's really far off the mark, CJ.

I don't disagree that FO4's trailer is disappointing from a simulation perspective, but I'm pretty sure none of Bethesda's games have ever broken a billion £ or $. Rockstar are in their own stratospheric level of budget.

At 25 million copies of Skyrim even accounting sales, should hit it near the billion revenue park. GTAV's estimated budget is reportedly at $265 million and that is accounting $150 million in supposed marketing. Going by that, it's not that unrealistic to have F4 shooting $90+million in budget.

li bur

I kinda disagree if people says that Bethesda games were never known for its graphics. I remember being blown away by morrowind visual and I kinda wish that they would do so again this gen. :(

Okay, yes, it isn't pretty. But it's Fallout 4.

You are going to be playing Fallout 4.

Isn't that enough for you, because I know I'm hyped as hell.

Aeqvitas

definitely looks like it will be cross gen. Kind of disappointing graphics wise. Hope the gameplay is less janky than previous titles at least. And the world better be a lot bigger than the witcher 3 if those are the graphics.

So it's fair to compare something like the order to this? And they sure as shit don't have that Rockstar money. People are to quick to judge a game based on a trailer for a game that probably won't release for over a year and no direct gameplay was shown.

Not asking for Order like visuals. Matter of fact I'm not asking for anything, because I don't fancy Bethesda games that much. Only thing I stated is that animation and character design can't even hold a candle to the top tier efforts of last gen, which is quite a sad sight.

d00d3n

Gonna catch flack for this, but I don't like what I'm seeing here.

It plays the Fallout buzzwords too straight (1960s/retro, nukes, pre-war and post-war). I'm not interested in the cheery "period piece" pre-war days. The trailer plays up the fact that nukes hit and nobody expected them, but this is the 4th game in the series, we should be way past this by now.

Bethesda can't make interesting games anymore. I couldn't care less about the events of Fallout 3, with that nebulous and uninteresting water purification system, and this looks (at the moment) just as uninspired.

Playing it safe in both content and tech. Meh. I wish Obsidian was making this.

edit: I'm obviously making assumptions based on the trailer. I'll be happy if they turn out to be wrong, but I've learned to be cautious.

Someone should start a thread about what other video game company zenimax could realistically acquire (using their famous hostile takeover scheme) to make a better Fallout game for them. Obsidian is unfortunately not an option after having been ripped off once.

Top Bottom