• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Officially Revealed for PC, Xbox One, PS4 [Reddit Rumor = Ban]

CbCwsN0.jpg

Fenway is in the game

I'd rather have the piss-filter from Fallout 3 back instead of this.

I wonder if the game will have loading times for indoor.

-GAF rages demanding Fallout 4 since forever

-Fallout 4 finally revealed

-GAF rages about the graphics, the least important aspect of any game.

GAF in a nutshell.

I never liked this argument that graphics aren't important; it has just as much importance as good story building and art direction in building an engaging game world. And in the early days of the game reveals, what else is there to be excited for?

Oh hell ya!! What is the location?? Boston?

THey show Downtown Boston or something with a very Boston looking statue... I'm pretty sure it's confirmed.

The visuals they use for the pre nuclear period make me go holy shit I want to play that and then when they switch post nuclear I just want to puke. I realize this is the whole point of the game, but every other AAA game looks like that so there's nothing for me.

Sounds like this game is not for you! Don't forget, it also is built around VATS.. you might not like that either... this is Fallout, baby!!

That Deathclaw looked SICK!!!!

Steel

Banned
M°°nblade;166292029 said:
What a contradiction.

If anything, it's the lack of geometry and lighting effect that's hurting the game's looks.

Not at all. Morrowind had a more detailed world than Skyrim, and the graphics in morrowind were janky as fuck.

imBask

Banned
Originally Posted by Darkstorne

This game was in pre-production since 2008, and full production since 2011 - two years before current gen consoles went on sale and before they even officially existed. Fallout is a series expected to sell 10 million + copies these days. Chances are extremely high this started out as a cross-gen game but shifted to current gen only a year or so ago when Zenimax were convinced by PS4/Xbone adoption rates to ditch the larger install base of last gen.

That explains the lower-than-expected graphic quality. At least we'll easily be seeing 1080p and 30+fps on consoles, and PC gamers know not to worry about visuals in Bethesda Game Studios titles anyway =)

Cross post from the other thread

there is your answer and Why this looks more like GTA5 and less like The Witcher 3

it looks worst than every other open world on PS4 that runs at 30 fps.

Jyrii

Banned
I am excited.

Even though I hated a lot of things about F3 and never actually finished New Vegas, I need some new Fallout in my life.

ohlawd

if it looks like this, then there can be no downgrade.

and besides, I could tell the difference between that shrub and tree. good enough for me

jett

D-Member
No way MGSV will be as large as Fallout though

Hell didn't Kojima already indicate this when he compared his game to GTA5?

You're the one that said it "fell in line" with other open world games. Definitely doesn't compare to The Witcher 3 either. People can mention TW3's initial reveal until they're blue in the face but the final game still looks amazing. It's okay to admit this game is sum ugly.

MGS5 is confirmed cross gen though. If Fallout 4 really isn't cross gen we don't know what Bethesda is doing to take advantage of the hardware. This could be the biggest world ever seen in a video game for all we know.

And for the people making Witcher 3 comparisons, at least Bethesda is actually showing us what the game will look like (plus they're games haven't been about the graphics since Oblivion). Plus Witcher 3 still has bad framerate on PS4 after not looking like initial footage which really hinders gameplay. Bethesda is hopefully putting the effort in where it matters.

I'll give props to Bethesda for releasing an honest video, even the IQ in it seems your average post-processing affair.

Emedan

Don't understand why one shouldn't be able to complain about the visuals? It's a post apocalyptic world, creating an immersive world is very important and good visuals help a lot in this, obviously it's disappointing to get something so underwhelming. It interferes with immersion, sure a good story can somewhat help diminish the effects of less immersive visuals, but in 2015, there's really no excuse.

lol @ people calling out the game's visuals. Really? Like, have you even seen Bethesda's previous games?

Oblivion was amazing looking

Once you realize there are tens of thousands of different people on this website, you'll have a better time understanding how GAF can have different and conflicting opinions on something.

I know that; I'm just saying it's funny seeing the general trend form is all.

OctoMan

Banned
I'd rather have the piss-filter from Fallout 3 back instead of this.

I wonder if the game will have loading times for indoor.
I loved the filter in 3. That was my one complaint from the trailer...too much color!

3 had the best atmosphere of any game ever and I hope they repeat that.

Seiru

Banned
"Ugh! I wish developers were upfront about their game's visuals in trailers or even lowered graphical fidelity so once the game is out, our expectations our met and nobody would have deceived us!"

*Fallout 4 trailer releases*

"Ugh, that's so ugly! What developer would show a game looking like this in confidence?! Are they trying to get me to not buy their ugly looking game? This is some PS2, early 360 era stuff! Fallout 3 looked the same, even better in spots!"

Marty-McFly-What.gif

Man, it's almost as if people just want good graphics or something

Nah, that's impossible.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Cool. Looks like a fallout game. Now as long as it doesn't control like butt then we're in business.
Wait, people are complaining about the lack of disgusting filter?

Yeesh. Shit ruined 3.

Brick

Gamebryo isn't a issue because of the visuals. You don't play Fallout because of the visuals. It's an issue because of the bugs.

Please let this be the first moderns FO title that's been put through at least an competent QA team.

Dude, please stop bashing on QA. This kind of thinking needs to stop. QA is almost never the problem with a buggy release. 95/100 bugs that you find in a released game, QA not only found and reported, but was told by producers and development that they don't have time to fix it given their insane schedule and it's going to ship with those.

Give QA a break. They already get a mountain of undeserved crap from inside the industry, they don't need it from outside as well.

Drencrom

Looks great, graphics aren't super amazing or anything but the art direction alone makes it gorgeous and interesting looking. Can't wait to see some gameplay
and the gibs lol

"Ugh! I wish developers were upfront about their game's visuals in trailers or even lowered graphical fidelity so once the game is out, our expectations our met and nobody would have deceived us!"

*Fallout 4 trailer releases*

"Ugh, that's so ugly! What developer would show a game looking like this in confidence?! Are they trying to get me to not buy their ugly looking game? This is some PS2, early 360 era stuff! Fallout 3 looked the same, even better in spots!"
Please, stop that hivemind / strawman stuff.

Being upfront about visuals =/= poor visuals

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There's an instagram filter, but some of the assets are also significantly improved over the base game.
Which speaks volumes about how awful the original assets were, I suppose, as I don't find them to look particularly detailed in those shots either.

The biggest issue I see with the new game thus far is the lighting, really. It's a bit plain. The level of detail and world complexity seems like it might be much higher.

Top Bottom