• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

owasog

16GB Memory
780ti with fo4 game ready drivers

Holding a solid 60 with everything ultra and god rays medium, BUT damn this studdering is killing me.
Have you tried capping the game @60? Sometimes it helps with microstutter, even when vsynched.

The second city you go to will drop your FPS 20-30. I would suggest waiting until that point in the game to optimize your frame rate.

I went from a solid 60 with everything ultra except god rays and shadows to a stuttering 30-45 constant on my 970.

I'm just going to max everything and lock it at 30.

I think you're talking about the city with the bandit camp in the Corvega factory? You go there as part of a minutemen quest. If so I posted about it earlier and yeah, if you go on top of the Corvega factory your FPS will drop massively! I also have a 970 and mine dropped to like 28FPS with the same settings.

EDIT: I also pointed out the you see the same framedrops in the exact same spots as the console version. I remember watching the video of a guy playing on PS4 before release and he was experiencing the exact same frame stuttering in the exact same spot.

heringer

I think you're talking about the city with the bandit camp in the Corvega factory? You go there as part of a minutemen quest. If so I posted about it earlier and yeah, if you go on top of the Corvega factory your FPS will drop massively! I also have a 970 and mine dropped to like 28FPS with the same settings.

Ugh, I think I'll hold off buying this right now.

Human_me

I'm having an issue, I can't select any resolution higher than 1080p.
Plus it always launches in windowed mode rather than fullscreen.
When I turn off windowed mode it then blanks out the resolutions and launches the game at 800x600!

Anyone else having such issues?

Steel

Banned
Tried it out on my Nvidia Shield for a bit, and it still runs smooth. Downsamples to the portable's screen nicely, too.

so the game detected my specs and set it for ultra quality! everything is pretty much maxed except god rays at high.

is this reliable? i want 1080p 60fps. if i can't manage i don't mind turning some things down.

specs: i5-4590, 16GB, R9 290 4GB.

Sounds like it should be accurate, that is a pretty decent card.

BizzyBum

I'm having an issue, I can't select any resolution higher than 1080p.
Plus it always launches in windowed mode rather than fullscreen.
When I turn off windowed mode it then blanks out the resolutions and launches the game at 800x600!

Anyone else having such issues?

You should be able to fix all of that by editing the .ini then making it read only.

I dont know the exact model, but I have an i5 clocked at 3.2 and a gtx 970. Will I get a solid frame rate with most or all things maxed? Will it at least be better than the console versions?

GavinUK86

One thing that's really annoying is not being able to adjust the graphical options in game. Why do I have to use the launcher? What purpose does that have?

Btw, i cant believe that some stuff just passed through the Q&A like:

You cant resize hud.
Hud doesnt dissapear when You are not active, which they should know that community loves by popularity of iHUD in Skyrim.
You have to use arrows in coversations when rest of a game operates with WSAD ...
Some messages do not disappear for like 3 minutes, example 'Press V to Workshop' notification.
You cant holster without going into Workshop mode or starting conversation.

Oh and dont get me started about size of Crosshair. Like, wtf is this? I can actually play it downsampled ...

Hold the reload button, same as Fallout 3/NV.

robotrock

Banned
Screenshots from DeadEndThrills. Not bad.

fuelthefuture.png

home.png

Do they still post on GAF?
I dont know the exact model, but I have an i5 clocked at 3.2 and a gtx 970. Will I get a solid frame rate with most or all things maxed? Will it at least be better than the console versions?

Assuming it's a quad core almost assuredly yes

Patrick S.

Banned
Did you try updating to the beta patch for the game? There was a patch pushed through the Steam Betas CDN to address some kind of XAudio crashing.

You should be able to pick it up by right-clicking the game -> Properties -> Betas tab -> Select the beta option from the first dropdown. It should pick up a small patch.

Can confirm this works, been playing since my previous post without the game crashing again. Thanks for saving my night :)

PrimeRib_

Trying to determine if I should go PS4 or PC (retina 5kiMac w core i7 and AMD m395x 4GB GPU upgrades)

Looking for prettiest bang for the buck.

Zomba13

Don't know if it's an issue with my framerate being over 60 or if it's a general bug with the game but I just randomly died from nothing while running. Guy just tripped over in slow motion.

Is there an easy way to cap the game at 60? When I play borderless window I get locked at 60 (even though my monitor is 120hz and my desktop refresh rate is also 120hz) but I end up around 40-60FPS outdoors while with the same settings in fullscreen I get around 70-90ish in the same locations.

Mobius 1

Trying to determine if I should go PS4 or PC (retina 5kiMac w core i7 and AMD m395x 4GB GPU upgrades)

Looking for prettiest bang for the buck.

It would definitely run better at 1080p on the iMac/Bootcamp. How does the 5K iMac handle lower resolutions? The older 1440p ones did ok with 1080p, though it was on the blurry side of things.

Melon Husk

No motion blur like at all ;/ I tried to modify some settings in .ini, but it didnt help.
SSR doesnt work on standard geometry, so its probably only for water ;/

The biggest surprise? Mouse controls are fucked up. The x-axis is turning faster than y-axis - WTF Bethesda? Stop testing games on those stupid gamepads ;/

This is killing me too. Please send help our way.

My rig is: GTX 570, i5 2500, 8gb ram.
Ran some tests, and locked it to 30 frames per second with RivaTuner. In the settings below I've ran into some occasional frame-rate drops to 27.

That's my settings:

Resolution: 1600x900
AA: TAA
AF: 16 samples

Texture: Ultra
Shadow Quality: Ultra
Shadow Distance: Medium
Decal Quantity: Ultra
Lighting Quality: Ultra
Godrays Quality: Medium
DoF: Bokeh
AO: SSAO

View Distance: Everything maxed out, except for "Object Detail Fade" wich is set on High.

Screen Space Reflections: Checked
Wetness: Checked
Rain Occlusion: Checked
Motion Blur: Checked
Lens Flare: Checked

For those wondering if they should get the console or PC version, I'd definitely recommend the PC version for anyone with specs similar to mine.

How'd you get 1600x900 resolution?

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
This is killing me too. Please send help our way.

You can fix it easily. Go to the ini files in the documents folder and in one of them under Controls you'll see two settings related to mouse movement, simply double the value of the Y axis and save the ini.

I'm still in the first vault, running at a constant 60fps but doesn't feel smooth at all. What the fuck? Witcher 3 felt like this as well.

Opening scene when going to the vault has drops to 38fps, in addition to the constant stuttering. Game very rarely hits 60fps even with settings at low, tends to max out at 59fps.

Xeroblade

I got rid the stuttering completely by disabling vsync in the Fallout4Prefs.ini and forcing the game to run with 30fps through RTSS. With borderless windowed mode I also have no tearing at all.

The game runs rocksolid so far with a mix of high/medium settings @1080p. And I have only an old Geforce GTX 660 Ti.
You may have sold me the game.

Redmoon

Got some SLI chugging, max settings @ 1080p.

Sli off
http://i.imgur.com/Z970xAt.jpg

On
http://i.imgur.com/cKmQajU.jpg

But like every other game using this method, something is broken.

The only side effect from this method are flickering(which goes away after 10 sec), issues with the ground grass ghosting(i dont care about this), and this on the main char's face being messed up (doesnt bother me)

Havent gotten far yet
just entered the vault
, so maybe the whole graphics system blows up down the line or something, but everything else is smooth sailing atm.

Scaling gets better at higher resolutions. Getting around 2.5-3x currently where I'm at

Im pretty happy with how the game is running on my 8350FX+970GTX combo. 50+fps at ultra, would be better if I disabled TXAA too which is complete overkill on my 24"display. The game itself looks sooo much better in person even though the lip sync is way off.

60B0DDA97529AC547AF7948D07B28DC651823364

cripterion

So with that said, what does this means for Gsync compatibility with this title if going over 60fps and disabling Gsync makes the game do weird shit?

Grassy

Just had my first bug 3 hours in, got stuck at a terminal. Luckily I saved just before going into the Red Rocket station...

Can all HUD elements be removed for perfectly clean screenshots?

As others have said you just have to turn the opacity down, hopefully a hide-hud mod comes out soon. Here's a few of my pics.

dmr87

Mouse controls are fucked up. The x-axis is turning faster than y-axis

You can fix it easily. Go to the ini files in the documents folder and in one of them under Controls you'll see two settings related to mouse movement, simply double the value of the Y axis and save the ini.

Quoting for visibility, thanks.

Fallout4.ini

[Controls]
bMouseAcceleration=0
fMouseHeadingXScale=.020
fMouseHeadingYScale=.040

PrimeRib_

It would definitely run better at 1080p on the iMac/Bootcamp. How does the 5K iMac handle lower resolutions? The older 1440p ones did ok with 1080p, though it was on the blurry side of things.

Gaming on the 5k iMac is best at 1440p, as the scaler seems to work best at half its native res. 1080p looks okay on some games, slightly blurrier on others. I'd prefer to game at 1440p if at all possible.

From what I could gather on such minimal information on the iMac's GPU, the m395x performs closest to a desktop r9 380x, though after stories of the AMD cards underperforming here, maybe it's best to stick w PS4 and not deal with driver update fixes that willl be a bear to get installes under bootcamp anyway ....

Top Bottom