• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Performance Thread

Samaritan

Is anyone else unable to disable Vsync via the .ini? I've tried everything, and yes I made the .ini file read-only. Nothing works. Any thoughts?

Got some SLI chugging, max settings @ 1080p.

Sli off
http://i.imgur.com/Z970xAt.jpg

On
http://i.imgur.com/cKmQajU.jpg

But like every other game using this method, something is broken.

The only side effect from this method are flickering(which goes away after 10 sec), issues with the ground grass ghosting(i dont care about this), and this on the main char's face being messed up (doesnt bother me)

Havent gotten far yet
just entered the vault
, so maybe the whole graphics system blows up down the line or something, but everything else is smooth sailing atm.

Scaling gets better at higher resolutions. Getting around 2.5-3x currently where I'm at

mind saying what you used to get SLI going? I'm assuming NVidia inspector.. but I'm curious to know what bits..

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Was glad to see Digital Foundry's Analysis. I have a 2012 rig with a 2GB GTX680, 16gig of ram, SSDS in RAID0 and a Core i7. I was on the fence about which version to buy because I like the idea of playing the PS4 version on the couch with my GF, but the performance differences even with a relatively dated rig seem big enough to warrant the Steam version.

Pretty excited, got my headphones all ready and am updating my drivers. Its been a little while since I've bought a big PC game. Gonna be real real cool.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
980 Ti
i5 4460
8 GB RAM

Was hitting solid 60 on Ultra @1080p until Lexington, the city where the big factory is. I get wildly inconsistent performance there. I think I'll just put up with it rather than drop the settings because outside of that specific place it's been fine.

Redmoon

Does Fallout 4 work nicely with SLI?

About as nicley as it could get with this method I'm using. This isnt even meant to be used as an SLI method, since its intended use is to measure potential scalability for a 3d app in a multi gpu config.

I'm sure an official profile will come around soon.

dmr87

Two quickies, about 70-80% GPU usage, 2560x1440. Everything maxed except Shadow Quality on High, Shadow Distance on High and Godrays on Low. We'll see what happens when I get to some heavier parts. Also running borderless windowed with RTSS locking the fps at 60, had some stutter before I did that.

6700k 4.6GHz
GTX 780ti - 358.91 drivers

kjejsl.png

pknkpv.png

i'm playing on 3440x1440 on ultra everything @ 60. occasional drops

gsync helps a lot of course

borderless window for the 21:9 resolution workaround

980ti sli (but sli isn't enabled yet)

Panda Rin

AMD 7950 running on all high settings at 1080p...performance hasn't been great so far. Dips to 40 fps at times during normal exploration, and it's gone down to 20-25 in a fight in one of the interiors. Honestly haven't looked much into the settings, so I'll tweak some tonight.

B4s5C

Im pretty happy with how the game is running on my 8350FX+970GTX combo. 50+fps at ultra, would be better if I disabled TXAA too which is complete overkill on my 24"display. The game itself looks sooo much better in person even though the lip sync is way off.

60B0DDA97529AC547AF7948D07B28DC651823364

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by how well the game looks in motion. Big reminder from me even considering I play a ton of 3DS games and should be used to bad trailers/screenshots.

ShaunBRS

No bits, just select SLI_PREDEFINED_MODE_DX10_FORCE_AFR2 under Predefined SLI mode (DX10).

What sort of scaling are you getting with that? When I tried it earlier it scaled negatively (to around 25fps on two 970s)

This is what ended up working for me (also no bits):

DJpaS4m.png

Anyone have some VRAM usage numbers for 1440 or 2180 with stock max settings?

1440 is at around 2300–2600 MB for me (in the wasteland).

Ruff

i5 4460
R9 280 3GB
8gb ram

Getting around 40-50fps on high, 60+ interiors. Bit sad about that as it drops around too much outdoors and hurts my eyes so had to lock it at 40.

Hey everyone,

I am completely new to PC gaming and I need a bit of help. I never knew "VRAM" was even a thing until I tried to play Arkham Knight on my laptop. I have 8gb RAM, but apparently only 4gb VRAM, so even on pretty mediocre settings after the patch I couldn't get a locked 30fps on Arkham Knight.

Specs:
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 860m
1920x1080
Graphics Memory (assuming this is VRAM?): 4,172 mb
RAM: 8192 mb
Processor: Intel Core i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.5GHz (8CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Could I play on close to max settings? I would probs prefer to get this on xbox one, but I would prefer to stay the hell away from those FPS drops that the other thread showed.

deadman69

playing on 1080p ultra (god rays set to low) on a r9 380 4GB and getting frame rates in the high 50's, with occasional slight drops to the mid 30s when going to a new town.

edit: just did the first power suit fight and my framerate was dropping to as low as 22fps.

Eyothrie

Hey everyone,

I am completely new to PC gaming and I need a bit of help. I never knew "VRAM" was even a thing until I tried to play Arkham Knight on my laptop. I have 8gb RAM, but apparently only 4gb VRAM, so even on pretty mediocre settings after the patch I couldn't get a locked 30fps on Arkham Knight.

Specs:
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 860m
1920x1080
Graphics Memory (assuming this is VRAM?): 4,172 mb
RAM: 8192 mb
Processor: Intel Core i7-4710hq 2.5 GHz

Could I play on close to max settings? I would probs prefer to get this on xbox one, but I would prefer to stay the hell away from those FPS drops that the other thread showed.

4gb VRAM is pleeeeeny of VRAM for most all games not named Arkham Knight. You should be fine.

Rizific

AMD 7950 running on all high settings at 1080p...performance hasn't been great so far. Dips to 40 fps at times during normal exploration, and it's gone down to 20-25 in a fight in one of the interiors. Honestly haven't looked much into the settings, so I'll tweak some tonight.

what settings were you running with that kind of performance?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I can't even get the game to start. Latest NVidia drivers, Downloaded the update, even downloaded the beta patch. Won't get past the initial startup window. I hit play and nothing happens.

4gb VRAM is pleeeeeny of VRAM for most all games not named Arkham Knight. You should be fine.

Thanks! The only other thing that worries me is my GHz, especially considering I don't know what the hell it does. It looks like mine is lower than the minimum requirements.

xkramz

How? I'm on a 980ti 2500k @4.3 and am getting constant drops to 45fps in Sanctuary. Are you playing on all ultra?
Correct everything on ultra except God ray on medium. In sanctuary right noe I don't go before 55fps while running. What resolution you're playing at?

Eyothrie

Thanks! The only other thing that worries me is my GHz, especially considering I don't know what the hell it does. It looks like mine is lower than the minimum requirements.

Yeah, just noticed that. 2.5GHz is definitely on the low end of processor speed. That actually might be the bottleneck holding you back.

EDIT: From all indications, the game is more GPU dependent than CPU dependent, so it might work for you. Instead of telling you to try it over the Xbox One version though, I'd google around to see if you can find others playing the game with this same processor. Might give you a more definitive answer. 2.5 GHz definitely is low, but it may work. Its really hard to say.

So I'm guessing if my GPU usage is much higher than CPU usage, it means it's the bottleneck? Specs are Zotac 770 2GB, i7 4770K (with turbo boost to 3.9ghz), 16GB RAM and Win 7. GPU usage hovers about 80-90%, while CPU usage tends to stay quite low, with some threads going up to maybe 50-60%.

How does the game run for anyone else with similar specs? Difficult to gauge for me, because of the terrible stuttering, while some scenes are very intensive (e.g. the opening run to the vault has dips to 38fps).

RK9039

Just started the game, 2gb 680 + i7 something something, I only put god rays on low. It's running really smoothly. The game looks pretty decent as well, but I'm going to use Reshade.

Portugeezer

Runs ok on my 290, lowest I have seen on Ultra is 45 - 50 fps looking at the wasteland when you first exit the vault. I don't suspect things would get much worse than that scenario. That is also with 90 FOV.

What would be the things that cause most impact in performance? I put shadows on high, but it also has lighting and godrays settings for example...

However does anyone know how to change the third person FOV?

Runs ok on my 290, lowest I have seen on Ultra is 45 - 50 fps looking at the wasteland when you first exit the vault. I don't suspect things would get much worse. That is also with 90 FOV.

However does anyone know how to change the third person FOV?
Try holding down the button which enables third person/first person and moving your mouse back. The same technique is used on the ps4.

Oooh.

Should've gotten it for PC, but oh well. I can wait for a sale!

It's paired with OCed 7870, running 40-60 fps on high/ultra on the first scenes/vault. I had to go to work when I just managed to get out of the vault this morning.
I'll give more detailed report later tonight.

Fallout 4 on Steam
PC Systems Requirements:

Minimum
Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent
8 GB RAM
30 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent

Ahahahahahaha!!! I've seen way better looking games with lower minimum requirements. Is this a joke?

Perfec7_

Neo Member
Haven't seen any recent posts about this, but is there a way to adjust the first person FOV? Is there a console command, maybe an .ini tweak? The default FOV looks horrible. I have no idea if it's in the settings options or not, but I'd assume no.

Edit: Think I found it. If anyone else needs instructions:

> G:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4
> Fallout4_Default.ini
> fDefaultWorldFOV=90

It's paired with OCed 7870, running 40-60 fps on high/ultra on the first scenes/vault. I had to go to work when I just managed to get out of the vault this morning.
I'll give more detailed report later tonight.

Thanks!

You mentioned phenom, and that's what I'm rocking as well, 4 core AMD Phenom II. My graphics card is newish, about a year and a half old.

Portugeezer

Try holding down the button which enables third person/first person and moving your mouse back. The same technique is used on the ps4.

I can go further back in third person, but I mean even the furthest third person angle is still more narrow than my 90 FOV in first person, which is a bit weird.

About as nicley as it could get with this method I'm using. This isnt even meant to be used as an SLI method, since its intended use is to measure potential scalability for a 3d app in a multi gpu config.

I'm sure an official profile will come around soon.

So would you recommend someone with two 970s (planning to play @ 1440p) to not use it and wait as this may take from the experience more than it adds?

Top Bottom