• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - PS4 screenshots (now feat. PNGs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrawnton

I understand that this is not the most technically beautiful game they could have made, but I am still greatly looking forward to it and I still think it looks gorgeous against my own personal standards of what makes a game gorgeous. It pains me to know that this game is already preloaded onto my console and I cannot touch it until Nov 10th...

Fallout 4 fanbase almost reminds me of a console exclusive defense force, weird. I am hyped for the game but this isn't healthy.

It really doesn't. And GTA has so much more going on along with fast moving vehilces and planes.

Also why is posting mod pictures "unfair"? Shouldn't a newly developed AAA game always look better than some fan mod of an old game?

Well first of all you're an asshole for implying that anyone who's fine with F4's graphics is somehow mentally wrong

It really does look on par with GTA V, also do you kno what Fallout has going? With NPC that are actually part of the world that don' just respawn and have the simplest ai logic that NPC's in GTA V has? I'm talking about overall graphics quality and yea they look pretty similar.

As for mods...dude you know that mods use 4k textures right? That's like saying GTA V is shit because it doesn't look like this GTA IV. Show me which console games use 4k texture packs.
2608018-insta011.gif

omonimo

Banned
Well first of all you're an asshole for implying that anyone who's fine with F4's graphics is somehow mentally wrong

It really does look on par with GTA V, also do you kno what Fallout has going? With NPC that are actually part of the world that don' just respawn and have the simplest ai logic that NPC's in GTA V has? I'm talking about overall graphics quality and yea they look pretty similar.

As for mods...dude you know that mods use 4k textures right? That's like saying GTA V is shit because it doesn't look like this GTA IV. Show me which console games use 4k texture packs.
2608018-insta011.gif
Where exactly he implied that? I think he just said the level of defense force seen here smells of fanboyism. And I disagree with the comparison with GTA V. LOD and lightning seems definitely inferior to me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's something I don't understand at all. I mean probably it will be my goty but said it seems a straight port from ps360 graphically, hurts the nerve to a lot people here. I think it's natural expected something better. And I don't get the repetitive matter about the complexity of the game which could counts just in the case the hardware suffer of restricted RAM, and CPU beefy of more main RAM I could imagine. But Jeez we have ten times the RAM available on ps360, how can't be enough for the GPU stuff? Seems just crazy try to extrapolate such excuse.
It's not a beautiful game but it looks vastly superior to last gen Bethesda games ON CONSOLE. Also keep in mind that PS360 versions of those games ran very VERY poorly. If this delivers a mostly steady frame-rate while looking this way with what appears to be MSAA, it's a big leap for BethSoft even if it looks dated.

It's not a beautiful game but it looks vastly superior to last gen Bethesda games ON CONSOLE. Also keep in mind that PS360 versions of those games ran very VERY poorly. If this delivers a mostly steady frame-rate while looking this way with what appears to be MSAA, it's a big leap for BethSoft even if it looks dated.

Will you guys have the article up on the 9th ?

Dunkley

Honestly that's very good news then.

Barring mods, Bethesda games were never graphical showcases, especially on consoles. As long as the framerate is solid and this delivers on the experience as much as Fallout 3 and New Vegas did, I'll be a happy camper.

Also MSAA sounds really promising, I was initially worried that they used some very bizarre post-FX AA solution considering everything just looked so round and blurry, but I guess the compression of the initial images in this thread are to blame there.

GHG

So we have had everything from fallout 3, oblivion, skyrim, gothic, witcher 3 screenshots in this thread and now modded GTA gifs to top it off.

Look guys, the bottom line is that Fallout 4 is nothing more than a down-resed version of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Where exactly he implied that? I think he just said the level of defense force seen here smells of fanboyism. And I disagree with the comparison with GTA V. LOD and lightning seems definitely inferior to me.

People thinking the graphics are good are unhealthy or are just crazy fanboys? sure...

Also it's not inferior at all, the textures themselves for that mod are 4k and the lighting is a lot better.

omonimo

Banned
Well vastly superior it's a bit too much. That's natural with all that RAM available it runs and appear better. I can't imagine how otherwise could happen. But with Bethesda we can't never say.

Wait, why? What one is playing in 2015 is a completely valid frame of reference to have when talking about a game releasing in 2015.

Looking better than Fallout 3 did at release all those years ago is not the bar Fallout 4 needs to clear. That's not a currently valid frame of reference for the people judging these graphics as substandard for a big budget title in 2015. It's other big budget titles in 2015, it's Fallout 3 (or other Bethesda games) with all the bells and whistles and mods.

What? Come on. Older modded Bethesda games always look better than newly released Bethesda games. I still vividly remember the complaints about how much better modded Oblivion looked compared to the Skyrim screenshots leading up to release. Heck, I still remember the modding community arguing that Morrowind modded looks better than Oblivion. Mods are always utilizing the most up to date hardware though, and are constantly being pushed further as new hardware releases. I could easily push Skyrim's visuals far enough to make the game churn at 20fps on my GTX 970. It would blow my mind, but also be unplayable (for me).

Bethesda create huge worlds, where every NPC has a unique character model, their own home, their own daily routines, all their equipment is lootable, every frickin' spoon in the game can be collected. No other game does that. The closest we have for an open world RPG is The Witcher 3 which regularly reuses character models, builds their clothing into the models, and doesn't have interactive clutter. Bethesda's engine focuses the hardware on scale and interactivity instead of on visuals. PC modders then utilize the engine's amazing mod-friendly potential to push it as far as they can with cutting edge hardware.

So no, you can't count modded Bethesda games as "the bar for Fallout 4 to meet". Heck, I could show you screenshots of Morrowind modded that will look better than Fallout 4 in many aspects:

awake

I haven't played any of the Fallout-Games before. Is there any chance I can enjoy this installment without playing the other Fallout games?

I haven't played any of the Fallout-Games before. Is there any chance I can enjoy this installment without playing the other Fallout games?

Absolutely! Bethesda games don't have much of a continuous story between them - they're each set in a different location and focus on different characters and events. They're incredibly immersive for allowing you to do anything you want. You can literally ignore the main quest, pick a direction on the horizon, and explore for hundreds of hours.

roytheone

Those new Shinobi shots still show a level of LoD that is a bit disappointing. Still, from my experience LoD is one of the things were the difference between pc and consoles is often the most noticeable (see dying light and MGS V for example), so I have faith that it will look better on my pc.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Sometimes I feel so thoroughly blessed that I am in the "easily pleased" camp. It must be so tiring to always complain for every imperfect pixels on the screen every time you're playing a game. Sometimes I don't even understand what people are after anymore from a video game, to be honest.

Ah well. The pics here looked pleasant enough for me :)

Sometimes I feel so thoroughly blessed that I am in the "easily pleased" camp. It must be so tiring to always complain for every imperfect pixels on the screen every time you're playing a game. Sometimes I don't even understand what people are after anymore from a video game, to be honest.

More believable game worlds, graphical improvement and gameplay improvement. You are not less of a gamer if you want your games to look nice and you are not a whiner if you point out technical flaws and issues as you see them. Why do some people respond so negatively to legitimate criticism? Not talking about you personally btw, just a general observation.

Mar Nosso

Banned
Even though I dislike Fallout a games and the 3rd one looked horrible, 4 has a great art style! And it definitely makes up for the shortcomings of the graphical fidelity I think, judging from all the screenshots and videos around.

Memnoch

Ah well. The pics here looked pleasant enough for me :)
Absolutely agree. I'm looking forward to the game regardless of the arguments posted here.

Scrawnton

Absolutely agree. I'm looking forward to the game regardless of the arguments posted here.
The arguments here do not sway me to think this games ugly. Still beautiful. I always felt bad for people who pick graphics apart like this. I hope mods come out fast for them.

madmackem

These pic look good, have people been living under a rock we have known for sometime this wasn't going to be a looker. It's going to look decent and that's all I ask having played hundreds of hours of fo3 on the Xbox 360 this will look like two gen bump.

aravuus

The arguments here do not sway me to think this games ugly. Still beautiful. I always felt bad for people who pick graphics apart like this. I hope mods come out fast for them.

I also feel bad for people who have different priorities than myself. I don't even try to understand their thinking and I find taking the most patronizing stance I can the most comfortable way to approach, or rather, NOT approach, something like this.

Just saying that the condescending "I feel sorry for you if you x/y/z" posts are some of the most infuriating ones you could make

jesu

I also feel bad for people who have different priorities than myself. I don't even try to understand their thinking and I find taking the most patronizing stance I can the most comfortable way to approach, or rather, NOT approach, something like this.

Just saying that the condescending "I feel sorry for you if you x/y/z" posts are some of the most infuriating ones you could make

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Thanks for posting this. Was about to post something similar.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
People thinking the graphics are good are unhealthy or are just crazy fanboys? sure...

Also it's not inferior at all, the textures themselves for that mod are 4k and the lighting is a lot better.
So you've talking mods? Not the actual standard game?

Bethesda create huge worlds, where every NPC has a unique character model, their own home, their own daily routines, all their equipment is lootable, every frickin' spoon in the game can be collected. No other game does that. The closest we have for an open world RPG is The Witcher 3 which regularly reuses character models, builds their clothing into the models, and doesn't have interactive clutter. Bethesda's engine focuses the hardware on scale and interactivity instead of on visuals. PC modders then utilize the engine's amazing mod-friendly potential to push it as far as they can with cutting edge hardware.

The unique character models is false, it reuses more than the Witcher 3, at least Skyrim that im playing now, and even like that, is an easier task when you have 4 NPCS in a small town and 20 in a big city total. The witcher 3 doesnt regularly reuse characters models. You have to play like 20 hours to start seeing some kind of copypasting going. Thats an amazing job for a game that has like 50 different NPC's in the first small town and 1000 in a big city. In Skyrim you can find same face bandits 20 minutes into the game, and similar NPCs after you visit 10 habitable spaces (theres only like 10 different clothes for gods sake). All characters dont have a home either. The AI daily routine of Skyrim is basic at best, handling a very small number of of NPC's at any given time (you can see that when you pass time fast, npc's dont move from where they were if you are in that zone, while they do in The Witcher 3, and 1 and 2 IIRC).
The building the clothing into the models is also easy in Skyrim, because everyone and their mothers have the same bodybuild, something modders have had a hardtime to make it varied (most mods only choose to do the same, create a new body, but still for all characters, you need to find a harder to install model that tries to make variations).

I would really prefer if Bethesda build a big city in their RPGs(maybe not in Fallout, becuase of the total anihilation) with 500 people, and make 20 of them totally varied with their own problems and quests, than try to make every NPC in that "city" say something different but totally mediocre and just a few lines and a shitty go and feth me this quest.

I dont really give a fuck of graphics right now in Fallout 4. They are not pretty, but serviceable.
What im more afraid of is if they still dont know how to make interesting quests, and varied and charismatic characters. You dont really need an out of this world computer to make that, and is a thing they could change if they used the insane amounts of money they win to hire new and better writters and escenario directors.

Looks ok to me, it's the console version of a Bethesda game, I wasn't expecting it to be on par with PC version on top specs with everything turned up to ultra.

I will be getting the PS4 version, but not until around/after Xmas, so hope that will make sure I play it after the first big bug patch (because you know it's coming) and long enough to see if there are any issues like the PS3 Bethesda games - if there are any, I will not be buying the game.

Fallout games are almost always entirely self contained and self explanatory. You can 100% go in blind without any prior experience with the series, and barely miss out on anything.

thelastword

Banned
At the time when it was released I'm sure that was not said, you maybe speaking in hindsight, but Skyrim got lots of praise for how it looked when it released, even on consoles. Fallout 3 had 4xMSAA on the 360, but textures and/or filtering looked better on PS3, no AA though.

Skyrim was touted as the best looking or one of the best looking open world games at release, obviously it's a different story in 2015. I booted up Skyrim on the 360 recently and it looks absolutely awful, bad IQ, bad textures and very bad looking character models.

Gurish

Guys anyone can help? I can't see the PNG images, tried to clear history and all, didn't help, all I see is a broken image icon, what can I do?

Oblivion in particular looked very impressive when it came out and Morrowind blew everyone away back in the day with its magnificent water shaders. Saying that Bethesda games were always sub-par graphically is revisionist history.

If you can't enjoy the game as it is, it's your loss and he feels sorry for you. What's the problem? Same for people obsessed with framerate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom