• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 - PS4 screenshots (now feat. PNGs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Desert Online shits all over this. An that's a massive open world doing far more things then Fallout4.

That's about what i expect at this point in 2015. Yet we get this dodgy looking stuff; weird glossy textures, washed out colors, strange character models, pixel edges and not to mention funky geometry/polygons everywhere. If this sub-par visual experience is what people want today after 4 to 5 years of waiting then whatever. This is a small leap in a very big pond at this point compared to what other games are showing off visually.

MegaMelon

Sometimes I feel so thoroughly blessed that I am in the "easily pleased" camp. It must be so tiring to always complain for every imperfect pixels on the screen every time you're playing a game. Sometimes I don't even understand what people are after anymore from a video game, to be honest.

Ah well. The pics here looked pleasant enough for me :)

Whilst I understand what you're trying to say, your wording could be improved. I get that your referring to people who nitpick over irrelevant tiny details, but the phrasing in your post indicates that you've lumped anyone not pleased 100% with the graphics into that crowd. Not trying to be rude I just thought I'd explain why people might be taking offense to your post :)

Black Desert Online shits all over this. An that's a massive open world doing far more things then Fallout4.

That's about what i expect at this point in 2015. Yet we get this dodgy looking stuff and weird glossy textures and pixel edges almost everywhere. If this sub-par visual experience is what people want today after 4 to 5 years of waiting then whatever. This is a small leap in a very big pond at this point compared to what other games are showing off visually.

Yes a lot of people will enjoy the game. Is that a problem?

What in the world is going on here. Feels like I walked into some demented vault.

Its very simple to understand. Fallout 4 looks very sub-par visually for a game that was worked on for 5 years (regardless of what it may be doing as a open world, other games on the same scale or greater look far better).

I was initially impressed but I can see what the consensus are saying. Having said that, it is the artistic direction and concepts that immerse me. The low res texture here and there and average looking character models take a back seat in the priority list for me. I'm not disappointed at all.

I sitll think people are bing overly forgiving of these screenshots. If the game was not Fallout 4, but something like Post-apocolyptica: the game from some less revered studio, all the details like disappearing shadows from 4-5 meters, the lack of good AO, the chunky animations, the quarter res post-processing, and the lack of shadow casting light sources would be pretty obvious.

I mean, the game looks better than FO3 on console... that is a given. But it is kinda odd when it is missing so many things other titles are capable of producing as well as turing into worse than last-gen after 5 meters from the camera origin.

aravuus

You know, for a game that you seem to have open contempt for, you have stuck around in this thread for an awfully long while.

Open contempt? Whatever makes you say that? Have fun going through my post history

e: buddy, pal, awaiting your reply with bated breath

Lol offending me does it? I don't even understand why you talk to me like that.

I'm not calling you condescending asshole lol. Bad wording on my part.

PNG files look pretty good for a console. More capable hardware will make it shine no doubt.

If the wasteland is big and varied enough there's no need to complain.

Its very simple to understand. Fallout 4 looks very sub-par visually for a game that was worked on for 5 years (regardless of what it may be doing as a open world, other games on the same scale or greater look far better).

Well it certainly doesn't look amazing, but Bethesda games never have. It looks better than Fallout 3.

Machina

Banned
You're a jackass. FOH

0046_7oscv.gif

Oh c'mon... You're exaggerating. It looks fine!

No i'm not. (Why are people throwing around that word exaggerating. Do you understand what that word means?)

It looks fine?

It does not look as good as what a modder would and will do when they get their hands on it and that's a problem. When the community can do a better job of making your game look better then you as a developer ever could.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I sitll think people are bing overly forgiving of these screenshots. If the game was not Fallout 4, but something like Post-apocolyptica: the game from some less revered studio, all the details like disappearing shadows from 4-5 meters, the lack of good AO, the chunky animations, the quarter res post-processing, and the lack of shadow casting light sources would be pretty obvious.

I mean, the game looks better than FO3 on console... that is a given. But it is kinda odd when it is missing so many things other titles are capable of producing as well as turing into worse than last-gen after 5 meters from the camera origin.
You better sit down for this part.

Most people, even on GAF, don't go crazy because of quarter resolution bloom effects.

Of course now that would be a new thing to get GAF in a frenzy about. First it's this constant screaming for resolution and frame rate and then people beat each other up because of the various buffers and the different resolutions. Would certainly make that aspect of the forum even more absurd.

It does not look as good as what a modder would and will do when they get their hands on it and that's a problem. When the community can do a better job of making your game look better then you as a developer ever could.
And what problem would that be?

No i'm not. (Why are people throwing around that word exaggerating. Do you understand what that word means?)

It looks fine?

So... You can say that to every game in the world. Mods make games better. Ok. Can we get over it?

So... You can say that to every game in the world. Mods make games better. Ok. Can we get over it?

Talking in this case in particular. A mod will make this game look like a 2015 game. This is not the same situation i'm talking about with games like GTA. When the game already looks good.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
My thinking on all Fallout and Bethesda games is they focus their attention on balancing the numerous ways one can play their games more than they nitpick the graphical details. While I personally think the game looks great, I am much more interested in the gameplay and story. Plus, I loved vanilla Skyrim on my PC and I think FO4 looks every bit as good in those PS4 screens.

You better sit down for this part.

Most people, even on GAF, don't go crazy because of quarter resolution bloom effects.

Of course now that would be a new thing to get GAF in a frenzy about. First it's this constant screaming for resolution and frame rate and then people beat each other up because of the various buffers and the different resolutions. Would certainly make that aspect of the forum even more absurd.
I think I need to lie down.

N30RYU

Fallout series never were a graphics showcase to begin with... comparing FO4 with Witcher3 is like comparing FO3 and FarCry2 (released almost at the same time)

My thinking on all Fallout and Bethesda games is they focus their attention on balancing the numerous ways one can play their games more than they nitpick the graphical details. While I personally think the game looks great, I am much more interested in the gameplay and story. Plus, I loved vanilla Skyrim on my PC and I think FO4 looks every bit as good in those PS4 screens.

So its nitpicking? are people biasly blind here...wait i don't have to ask that question.

n5UL7.gif

Damn you gif gods!!

aravuus

nevermind not worth it.

regardless, excited for this game and for new screenshots to pop up today.

I didn't mean to call you out specifically, yours just happened to be the most recent post in that category (or seemed to be, at least)

No hard feelings

DenogginizerOS

So its nitpicking? are people biasly blind here...wait i don't have to ask that question.

n5UL7.gif

Damn you gif gods!!
No, not blindly biased. I am providing a possible explanation for why the console version of Fallout 4 may not be as detailed as some hoped. No reason to turn this into a contentious debate, friend.

MajorTom

I'm sure Bethesda could make their games look as nice as the modding community does, but Bethesda also have to factor in consoles.
There's a lot going on in games like fallout.
Consoles have limited power.

On PC you can make the game look amazing because PCs are ever evolving and are not 1 specific hardware configuration.
You can brute force just about anything on a PC.

When Bethesda make a game such as fallout 4, they obviously want feature parity between the 3 versions.
Those features require computing power.
That means there has to be cutbacks (in this case graphics) in order to make the game run at an acceptable framerate.

I'm sure Bethesda could add all sorts of extra graphics options to the PC version.
I'm also certain that adding those features would take extra time. This would most likely result in a delay of the PC version.
I'm sure people would be way more upset about that than the game not looking amazing.

I think the game looks fine anyway

Oblivion in particular looked very impressive when it came out and Morrowind blew everyone away back in the day with its magnificent water shaders. Saying that Bethesda games were always sub-par graphically is revisionist history.

It looked impressive in some aspects sure, and terrible in others though. Character models were so bad I was a bit embarassed to play the game. I mean, you have to work very hard to get that level of ugly. I know it was more technically impressive, but I played FFXII just before Oblivion, and that game, particularly the final battle, easily impressed me more.

No, not blindly biased. I am providing a possible explanation for why the console version of Fallout 4 may not be as detailed as some hoped. No reason to turn this into a contentious debate, friend.

Bro the console version should at least look at as good as Fallout 4 on PC. Though the console version is a lowed PC port. Which should piss people off really more then anything.

Because if this was an first party game it would have more of a chance to look better. Though who I'm i kidding Bethesda don't like good graphics.

N30RYU

It's called PC Master Race for something... of course modders can do a better job 'cause they don't need to hold things on PC 'cause of the consoles versions.

Coreda

Tried to find screenshots of that game that compared to the art design of Fallout 4, had a hard time finding many.

If this shits all over Fallout 4 I'll take FO4 any day. Let alone that this thread is only about PS4 screenshots.

Tried to find screenshots of that game that compared to the art design of Fallout 4, had a hard time finding many.

If this shits all over Fallout 4 I'll take FO4 any day. Let alone that this thread is only about PS4 screenshots.

So you find crappy screenshots from the internet and clearly they are on medium settings? or worse. (Though at least you tried)

But PS4 screenshots they are not. True

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23vlU1RQ4Yc

Scrawnton

I did spend some time watching the E3 reveal footage lastnight and I had some positive takeaways. I am not a graphic designer or do I know much about effects. Heck, half the time I can't even spot those types of things. But the screen shots' graphics look the same to me, but in motion it looks fantastic. The world looked very lively and believable. The screen shots may look dulled to some, but I think in motion there will be no issue for most of us, hopefully.

DenogginizerOS

Anyone seen any XB1 screenshots of Fallout 4? I wonder if it is safe to assume they are identical in every way since Bethesda stated the console versions both run 1080/30.

MartyStu

Not graphically impressive, but the increased saturation is a welcomed change.

Bethesda is moving up in the world. Very slowly.

Scrawnton

Anyone seen any XB1 screenshots of Fallout 4? I wonder if it is safe to assume they are identical in every way since Bethesda stated the console versions both run 1080/30.

my assumption has always been that they will be identical. Isn't ESO identical on both systems? I know its a different engine and all, but i get the impression they will both be the same game.

Shredderi

I find it weird that people say that bethesda games were never great looking. I remember being very impresses by oblivion and morrowind at the time of their releases. Fallout 4 has a good artstyle and the pc version will surely enable far better draw distances for shadows etc. but on console the quality drops seems to drop dramatically after a fairly short distance which is kind of disappointing. I do like the PBR. It gives a nice feel to most surfaces that weren't there before on any of bethesda's games. In time with mods this will be on of those super pretty games that will get screenshots posted of it for years to come, but at least on consoles the vanilla version doesn't look exactly impressive. Could be that there is so much more systems at play than before which calls for a compromise. That would be pretty cool. I'll get the far-better-than-vanilla graphics in time but what I really want from bethesda are systems and structure that I could not get on last gen. Would be disappointing to just have Fallout 3.5 with moderate visual bump and a different location. Do some actual cool next-gen shit with your game mechanics please.

I don't get the blind defense of this game. Don't get me wrong, it isn't as terrible as some folks make it out to be, but this whole thing is getting a bit silly. The original screenshots came out yesterday and they looked terrible. I am not a graphics nut by any means, I choose to play most of my games on console rather than my actual gaming PC, but even I thought they looked terrible and I had folks acting like I was raving about 4k, 60fps or something.

New shots (thanks shinobi) come out and they were a bit better, I felt relief as did many, but some people still weren't crazy about them. Yeah I know some folks have high standards, but many of the criticisms leveled at the graphics are legit. It looks good, but the engine does look a bit dated. Textures are so so and the amount of items in the world means little to many and bethesda's "vision" is beyond most of our knowledge. In any case, saying they look a bit dated doesn't make someone a graphics whore or entitled, that shit has to stop. If you personally like what you see fine as well.

I am pretty sure that both versions will be nearly identical, just like Destiny.

Only thing I am concerned about with my xb1 is framerate tbh.

I don't mind minor dips, but any extreme drops would be pretty disheartening. I don't think there is a huge reason for concern though.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
It'd be really funny if the XBO version had better LOD for shadows, just to see the reactions, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom