• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Lakitu said:
Wow... found a pretty huge glitch, how the hell did this pass? --
I'm trying to convince the Great Khans leader to not have an allegiance with Caesar, so I have to speak to various people. I go to speak to Melissa at the Great Khan Encampment only she isn't there. As I did a quest for her there some 30 hours ago. And now because I did that quest earlier, it seems like I won't be able to finish this one.
I'm angry to be honest. Is there a workaround or have I botched it for good?

Patch this shit please, Obsidian. What's the status on it?

Yeah I stopped yesterday out of frustration because of a bugged quest. I can tolerate a lot of bugs in a game like this but when it actually stops you from doing quests that's where I have to draw the line.

Lakitu said:
I'm trying to convince the Great Khans leader to not have an allegiance with Caesar, so I have to speak to various people. I go to speak to Melissa at the Great Khan Encampment only she isn't there. As I did a quest for her there some 30 hours ago. And now because I did that quest earlier, it seems like I won't be able to finish this one.

Are you playing the PC version? http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Melissa#Bugs

Lakitu said:

If I remember right you can
report back to the NCR and they'll tell you to just assassinate the leader rather than convincing everyone to vote against him.

Lakitu

st5fu
zero margin said:
Yeah I stopped yesterday out of frustration because of a bugged quest. I can tolerate a lot of bugs in a game like this but when it actually stops you from doing quests that's where I have to draw the line.

Yeah.. I had to stop playing. I'm still frustrated about it since it seems to be an important quest also. Totally agree with you there. I just hope before I'm done with the game that Obsidian patch this, so I can finish it. Shit like that shouldn't pass testing. There's no excuses, it's so blatant.

mjemirzian said:

Nope, 360 version. Wish I had a capable enough PC to play it for workarounds such as those and mods. But I've had to stick with the 360 version. I've had a few annoying glitches, but this is the worst by far. I don't know how many people did it in what order, but it should accommodate you no matter what order you play the quests in.

Confidence Man said:
If I remember right you can
report back to the NCR and they'll tell you to just assassinate the leader rather than convincing everyone to vote against him.

Not received an option like that.
All it told me to do was:

-(Optional) Disgrace Karl in front of Papa Khan, which I did.
-Speak to Diane and Jack to convince them. Did that.
-Give evidence to Regis about Caesar. Didn't do.
-Speak to Melissa to convince her. Can't do because of the bug.

Could you be referring to a separate quest later down the line? I wouldn't be so peeved with that, since then
it wouldn't affect the endgame as much?

Lakitu said:
Nope, 360 version. Wish I had a capable enough PC to play it for workarounds such as those and mods. But I've had to stick with the 360 version. I've had a few annoying glitches, but this is the worst by far. I don't know how many people did it in what order, but it should accommodate you no matter what order you play the quests in.
If you are determined to get a very high (possibly highest?) quest completed count in one playthrough, try my walkthrough. If you follow it carefully you won't miss anything. It sidesteps quite a few quest related bugs.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/959559-fallout-new-vegas/faqs/61163
I haven't seen anyone top the 87-88 quest count the walkthrough gets.

McNum

I wasn't planning on getting this, but it sounds pretty good, and I did like Fallout 3.

One quick question, though. The retail PC version, does it require the DVD in the drive? Or should I just get the Steam version to avoid that?

Lakitu said:
Not received an option like that.
All it told me to do was:

-(Optional) Disgrace Karl in front of Papa Khan, which I did.
-Speak to Diane and Jack to convince them. Did that.
-Give evidence to Regis about Caesar. Didn't do.
-Speak to Melissa to convince her. Can't do because of the bug.

Could you be referring to a separate quest later down the line? I wouldn't be so peeved with that, since then
it wouldn't affect the endgame as much?

I was doing the NCR missions and one of them was to go to the Khan's encampment and either wipe them out or convince them not to join Caesar. I did the same things you did and just went back to whoever it was that assigned it to me and they advised me to assassinate the leader. You should be able to finish the quest that way.

Lakitu

st5fu
Confidence Man said:
I was doing the NCR missions and one of them was to go to the Khan's encampment and either wipe them out or convince them not to join Caesar. I did the same things you did and just went back to whoever it was that assigned it to me and they advised me to assassinate the leader. You should be able to finish the quest that way.

Thanks! Do you know where you took that quest by any chance?

tokkun

McNum said:
One quick question, though. The retail PC version, does it require the DVD in the drive? Or should I just get the Steam version to avoid that?

No. In fact, you never even have to insert the DVD to install. You can just enter the serial number inside the case into Steam and download it, if you so desire.

ckohler

Simple question:

I'm just about to meet the Leagon. I've decided that I don't want to side with them (I prefer the NCR), if I attack them at first sight, will I be able to loot their settlements without getting negative karma or is that still considered stealing?

Lakitu said:
Thanks! Do you know where you took that quest by any chance?

I want to say from
Hoover Dam. It was pretty far into the NCR mission line, I believe.

Who gave you the quest?

Just checked in the GECK.
It was the first mission from Colonel Moore at Hoover Dam, for the quest For the Republic, Part 2.

McNum

tokkun said:
No. In fact, you never even have to insert the DVD to install. You can just enter the serial number inside the case into Steam and download it, if you so desire.
Then it all comes down to price. I wonder if my local store can beat €49.99. I'll have to take a look. Thanks!

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
So ED-E just disappeared and I'm 50 hours in or so. I've checked Primm and it's not there so is there anyway of getting it back?

Lakitu

st5fu
Confidence Man said:
I want to say from
Hoover Dam. It was pretty far into the NCR mission line, I believe.

Who gave you the quest?

Just checked in the GECK.
It was the first mission from Colonel Moore at Hoover Dam, for the quest For the Republic, Part 2.

Thanks! I got the quest when visiting
Red Rock Canyon
. That makes me feel a little better.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Liquidus said:
So ED-E just disappeared and I'm 50 hours in or so. I've checked Primm and it's not there so is there anyway of getting it back?

This happened to me. I was never able to find it again. Some people say to check the bottom level of Vault 22, but my ED-E never showed up there. Extremely frustrating bug since it can prevent you from doing any of Gannon's quests (as it did me).

Nose Master

luxarific said:
This happened to me. I was never able to find it again. Some people say to check the bottom level of Vault 22, but my ED-E never showed up there. Extremely frustrating bug since it can prevent you from doing any of Gannon's quests (as it did me).

This just happened to me. Another fun fact: You can't even finish the game if you side with
Caeser, as you can't tell him to wait outside if he's nowhere to be found. Yet they still won't let you in the tent "with others." Fucking ridiculous.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Nose Master said:
This just happened to me. Another fun fact: You can't even finish the game if you side with
Caeser, as you can't tell him to wait outside if he's nowhere to be found. Yet they still won't let you in the tent "with others." Fucking ridiculous.

I was actually worried about this, but to my surprise,
even though I was only able to dismiss Veronica, my other companion and not ED-E, I was still allowed in Caeser's tent. I have no idea how this worked (I had ED-E's perk at all times, so I think the game believed that it was still with me inside the tent). I was able to finish the end game with no problems.
My only real issue with this bug (and it's a big one) is that it prevents me from getting Arcade to come with me, so I can't do any of his personal quest line. He's the only companion for which I don't get the "come with me' dialog line when he's in my Lucky 38 suite. I can swap out everyone else except him, and I was able to swap him out before I lost ED-E, so I'm concluding the two bugs are related.

Nose Master

luxarific said:
I was actually worried about this, but to my surprise,
even though I was only able to dismiss Veronica, my other companion and not ED-E, I was still allowed in Caeser's tent. I have no idea how this worked (I had ED-E's perk at all times, so I think the game believed that it was still with me inside the tent). I was able to finish the end game with no problems.
My only real issue with this bug (and it's a big one) is that it prevents me from getting Arcade to come with me, so I can't do any of his personal quest line. He's the only companion for which I don't get the "come with me' dialog line when he's in my Lucky 38 suite. I can swap out everyone else except him, and I was able to swap him out before I lost ED-E, so I'm concluding the two bugs are related.

I'm thinking about
popping a stealth boy and killing the guard, though that'll be kinda difficult without weapons. It wouldn't let me enter when I tried a few minutes ago. I have an alternate save, but it was an hour or so ago and I don't want to do it all again just for ED-E to fuck off again somewhere. I think I might load it then dismiss him.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Nose Master said:
I'm thinking about
popping a stealth boy and killing the guard, though that'll be kinda difficult without weapons. It wouldn't let me enter when I tried a few minutes ago. I have an alternate save, but it was an hour or so ago and I don't want to do it all again just for ED-E to fuck off again somewhere. I think I might load it then dismiss him.

That's so weird. I wonder why I was able to go in with an invisible ED-E and you can't, even though you're experiencing the same bug. My other companion was Veronica, for what it's worth. I just dismissed her (and not ED-E, obviously) and they let me in.

Nose Master

luxarific said:
That's so weird. I wonder why I was able to go in with an invisible ED-E and you can't, even though you're experiencing the same bug. My other companion was Veronica, for what it's worth. I just dismissed her (and not ED-E, obviously) and they let me in.

Hmm. I have Raul, I just told him to wait, though. I'll try dismissing him outright.

PS: Is it bad to give Raul an assault rifle? He kinda groaned at me later on in dialogue, but isn't that still influenced by his "guns" stat?

tokkun

Liquidus said:

My ED-E disappeared and re-appeared when I got through the Vault 22 quest.

My Boone also disappeared when I sent him back to the Lucky 38, but fortunately I am playing on PC so I was able to warp him to my location using a command in the dev console.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Nose Master said:

I'm actually on the quest right now and though my ED-E is missing in action/unfindable I can still do the quest. I actually lost him during the start of the quest and then he just wandered off... like Towelie.

I love this game but fuckin' eh Obsidian.

tokkun said:
My ED-E disappeared and re-appeared when I got through the Vault 22 quest.

My Boone also disappeared when I sent him back to the Lucky 38, but fortunately I am playing on PC so I was able to warp him to my location using a command in the dev console.

PS3 version for me so that's a no go.

Deadly

What the fuck is with the corrupted saves?!?! I almost died from a mine so I quicksave in case there are more. Boom, I die, load the quicksave, crash. OK, I had just entered the building, load autosave crash. I'm fucking pissed

neoism

Guys sorry this question has probably been asked... but I just messed with the ini file just now and my PC crashed. All I really want to change is the distance I can see stuff. I'd like too see detail really far. My PC can handle it.. 8gb ram.. 5870R. Is there a ini tweak for this???

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is it possible to play this game solo? Not only I much prefer to play as a solo kind of a guy ("Strongly disagree" to "Do you rely to others for support" during the interview), but also all of these stories about companions glitches and bugs shenanigans really deter me from even attempting to get a follower during my playthrough. Bah.

Xbox360, approximately 12-13 hours of gameplay, so far four random freezes (two during loading screen from inside a building to the overworld, one during repairing armor, and one when I direct my character to sit)

And fucking Akihiko is everywhere in this game :\ :\ :\

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Laughing Banana said:
Is it possible to play this game solo? Not only I much prefer to play as a solo kind of a guy ("Strongly disagree" to "Do you really for others for support" during the interview), but also all of these stories about companions glitches and bugs shenanigans really deter me from even attempting to get a follower during my playthrough. Bah.

Xbox360, approximately 12-13 hours of gameplay, so far four random freezes (two during loading screen from inside a building to the overworld, one during repairing armor, and one when I direct my character to sit)

And fucking Akihiko is everywhere in this game :\ :\ :\
Yeah, you can ignore companions completely just fine.

neoism said:
Guys sorry this question has probably been asked... but I just messed with the ini file just now and my PC crashed. All I really want to change is the distance I can see stuff. I'd like too see detail really far. My PC can handle it.. 8gb ram.. 5870R. Is there a ini tweak for this???

If it's anything like Oblivion and Fallout 3, check the ini settings for:

ugridstoload = x (set to 7 or 9 for greater distance)

Played with the Geck for most of the day today. God damn that thing is more difficult than I thought... and I haven't even mastered building an interior yet. Ugh. Would make it a lot easier if there were a simple way of finding what pieces you want.

After a long day of mowing down Fiends, Legion, Super Mutants, RadScorpions, Ghouls and Deathclaws; I just like to put on my favorite suit and feel the wind on top of a hill while I'm taking in the scenery.
I'm immensely enjoying this game, I'd like to say that I don't want it to end...but there's no end in sight anyway. ( Just when I think I am done all the side quests, new locations are discovered and new quests are unlocked!!) It's like a living, breathing and ONGOING world this beautiful Mohave wasteland. There's no end to this Courier's Journey!
falloutnv2010.jpg

Thanks so much Obsidian and Bethesda

RobertM

Has this ever happened to anyone where you couldn't Save or Load the game? Second time this shit happens and I lose a half hour of game time.

Ravidrath

Anyone seen a crash when buying things from merchants?

I've reproduced it twice now... buy a bunch of stuff from a Traveling Merchant at
Mojave Outpost
, and after the "clink" the game hard crashes.

A shame, because he's got stuff I want, too. :\

Edit: I can buy things from him, but a certain loadout of goods crashes me... at least I got the Reinforced Leather Armor I wanted, though!

Yep I got the exact same issue right at the Mojave outpost...I linked the reason to the playing cards, I was going nuts buying all the playing cards from that specific Merchant. the game kept crashing...

So to pin point the reason of the crash I tried to make my purchases one by one and click "Accept" all weapons, aid, apparel, misc. etc. etc are fine, even if you buy a card or two it's fine but when you buy like three or more cards in a row and click on "Accept!" BAM!! crash time baby!! ring a ding a ding!

Speaking of playing cards, I have buncha random playing cards in my inventory from all over the place...100 plus playing hours in the game I still (APPARENTLY) don't have enough (30) cards to play a hand of "Caravan" so what am I doing wrong? how do I collect the proper amount (30) I have more than 30 I am sure but they are not a set.. they are all random crap.

I really want to start playing this "Caravan" game before I complete the actual game,
can someone please help me with this matter thanks.

Ravidrath

EricHasNoPull said:
Yep I got the exact same issue right at the Mojave outpost...I linked the reason to the playing cards, I was going nuts buying all the playing cards from that specific Merchant. the game kept crashing...

I really want to start playing this "Caravan" game before I complete the actual game,
can someone please help me with this matter thanks.

Yeah, I'd just about narrowed it down to that. Thanks for confirming before I spent any more time on it.

As for Caravan, uh... wow? You missed something from the VERY start of the game.

Ringo gives you a starter deck and holotape on how to play in Goodspring. It's practically part of the tutorial.

As far as I know, you need a basic deck to start playing. The other cards are just to customize it, I think.

I could use a good strategy guide/write-up on Caravan, if anyone has one... the holotape isn't really helping me learn it, and I haven't been able to win one yet.

ckohler

If I attack the Legion, will I be able to loot their settlements without getting negative karma or is it always considered stealing?

Ravidrath

ckohler said:
If I attack the Legion, will I be able to loot their settlements without getting negative karma or is it always considered stealing?

It seems like stealing is always bad, regardless of your relationship with the faction.

For example, I'm "villainous" to the Powder Gangers, and stealing anything from them hits my karma still.

Ravidrath said:
Ringo gives you a starter deck and holotape on how to play in Goodspring. It's practically part of the tutorial.

I could use a good strategy guide/write-up on Caravan, if anyone has one... the holotape isn't really helping me learn it, and I haven't been able to win one yet.

AHHH! Okay that explains alot :lol
I always stop by Goodsprings (as my homebase) to get remedied by Doc Mitchel and sell stuff to Chet (he always has lots of caps to trade for my scraps) I also use that Work Bench next to his store the most in the game, other than that I do not do anything else in Goodsprings. If you can please let me know how do I meet up with Ringo and get this starter deck from him; that would be great, do I need to do a quests in Goodsprings? talk to the bartender there and whatnot?

Ravidrath

EricHasNoPull said:
AHHH! Okay that explains alot :lol
I always stop by Goodsprings (as my homebase) to get remedied by Doc Mitchel and sell stuff to Chet (he always has lots of caps to trade for my scraps) I also use that Work Bench next to his store the most in the game, other than that I do not do anything else in Goodsprings. If you can please let me know how do I meet up with Ringo and get this starter deck from him; that would be great, do I need to do a quests in Goodsprings? talk to the bartender there and whatnot?

After doing the tutorial stuff with Sunny, she sends you to talk to Trudy. You witness her in a fight with a Powder over the town harboring Ringo, who is holed up in the locked gas station. When you go there next, it's unlocked. He challenges you to a game of Caravan as a sign of trust or something, and gives you a deck.

Hope that helps!

jax (old)

Banned
I think I'm officially done with the game

in my 3rd playthrough (on going)..

I completed
omerta's quest by empowering SAL instead of using cachino and I also helped the cannibals eat human flesh
:lol :lol That said, I've absolutely had my fill of the game and as much as you'd like to say the game plays differently, it really doesnt. I'm playing melee, semi villianous but it kind of feels like there's little overall world impact aside from people acting you all the time.

ah well, see you guys when DLC hits.

clockpunk

Ravidrath said:
Yeah, I'd just about narrowed it down to that. Thanks for confirming before I spent any more time on it.

As for Caravan, uh... wow? You missed something from the VERY start of the game.

As far as I know, you need a basic deck to start playing. The other cards are just to customize it, I think.

Creating a custom deck from all the basic cards of 5-8, plus all the face cards (J-K plus the 2 jokers), and playing initial cards as either 5 or 8 0 - offers a statistically higher chance of winning. I customised my deck further by replacing the Queens with an additional 5, 8, Joker and King, as those 4 are the most important within this custom deck. Some game designer came up with the original design, I believe.

I won about 95% of my game played with this method.

Hope that helps!

Been reading up on those Hardcore speedruns, seems like fun. Going to attempt one this week, seems it can be pulled off within 60-90 min depending on the faction alliance chosen.

Kevitivity

I'm in a bad situation with this game. I'm about 34 house in and the game now locks up every time I try to enter the Strip. (360 version) It loads for a second, then the screen goes black and thats all... hard lockup. When I restart the xbox I have a corrupt auto save.

A few other people with this same issue on the Giant Bomb forums. There don't appear to be any work workarounds... I'm not about to start over and wish for the best...

jax (old)

Banned
Kevitivity said:
I'm in a bad situation with this game. I'm about 34 house in and the game now locks up every time I try to enter the Strip. (360 version) It loads for a second, then the screen goes black and thats all... hard lockup. When I restart the xbox I have a corrupt auto save.

A few other people with this same issue on the Giant Bomb forums. There don't appear to be any work workarounds... I'm not about to start over and wish for the best...

YIKES!

fix this shit guerilla.

sounds like a real... game breaker.

Kevitivity said:

Happened to me, had to load a previous save. Lost like an hour or two of wandering around that I made up in like 20 minutes, but yeah, it sucks.

Especially for you since it sounds like you weren't keeping save files other than the autosave.

Marvie_3

Banned
Awesome. Was trying to get the "get banned from all casinos on the Strip" achievement. Went to the Ultra-Luxe, realized the cashier was dead, and now I find out they don't respawn. Nice.....

iammeiam

Kevitivity said:

No chance you're hitting the Old Cowboy Hat bug? There's a workaround for it here, but from what I remember reading, killing a certain NPC and depriving the strip of his hat can cause the strip to crash. Which is a problem, since killing the guy and taking the hat is an actual part of an actual side quest.

butsomuch

PR - Fallout: New Vegas top 5 million unites worldwide
Bethesda Softworks, a ZeniMax Media company, announced today that its highly anticipated title, Fallout: New Vegas, has enjoyed record sales at launch, reflecting the huge consumer demand for the game. Five million units of Fallout: New Vegas were shipped worldwide for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system, and Games for Windows, with a heavy volume of digital downloads, representing well over $300 million in retail sales. In addition, the Fallout: New Vegas strategy guide was one of Amazon's best sellers among all books.
"We are delighted by the reception Fallout: New Vegas has received from fans around the world," said Vlatko Andonov, president of Bethesda Softworks." Despite the large launch quantities for this title, we have already received substantial re-orders from our retail partners, underscoring the tremendous popularity of this highly entertaining game. We believe Fallout: New Vegas will be the "must buy" title for gamers throughout the holiday season."

Reviews of Fallout: New Vegas have called the game as "an utterly essential purchase" (MSN UK) and as "addictively, rambunctiously fun" (Entertainment Weekly). The Associated Press awarded it a 4 out of 4 stars and said "Bottom Line: It's a Blast", while GameSpy gave it 4.5 out of 5 stars and called Fallout: New Vegas "one of the best games of the year."

Fallout: New Vegas, the follow-up to Fallout 3 - the 2008 Game of the Year - brings this beloved franchise to a location only Fallout could do justice: Vegas. Fallout: New Vegas takes all the action, humor and post-apocalyptic grime and grit of this legendary series, and raises the stakes. Fallout®: New Vegas, developed at Obsidian Entertainment, has been rated M for Mature by the ESRB. For more information on Fallout: New Vegas, visit http://fallout.bethsoft.com.

Llyranor

Is there a mod that'll increase my walking speed (also for companion) ? This is painful.

Wouldn't mind a multi-companion mod as well if it won't break the game?

Hopefully stuff that I can just add in and still use my saves as well.

X26

Banned
Marvie_3 said:
Awesome. Was trying to get the "get banned from all casinos on the Strip" achievement. Went to the Ultra-Luxe, realized the cashier was dead, and now I find out they don't respawn. Nice.....

same thing happened to me thanks to beyond the beef

Top Bottom