• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

duckroll

JodyAnthony said:
I had an NCR outfit and a Powder Ganger outfit in ED-Es storage, but they just vanished. Everything else in his inventory is still there, just those two outfits are gone.

I don't think you did. Companions cannot store faction armor which they cannot wear. So what happened is likely that you tried to dump it on him, and he dropped them but you didn't notice.

Wallach

mjemirzian said:
Any combat focused build takes a 1 in CHR. INT gives you 15 points per INT from 1-30, and most builds take 4-5 INT and choose Educated, which grants 50 INT if you take it at lv 4. It's a better trade off than skimping in STR and taking Weapon Handling. Also note that if you want to wear +STR armor, factions will react differently to you.. NCR and The Strip will attack on sight, for example.

Anyway, here's the combat build I use: SPECIAL: 7 STR, 5 PER, 7-8 END, 1 CHR, 4-5 INT, 6 AGI, 9 LCK
Perks: 01 Fast Shot and Built to Destroy, 02 Confirmed Bachelor, 04 Educated, 06 Bloody Mess, 08 Cowboy, 10 Finesse, 12 Hand Loader, 14 Rapid Reloads, 16 Better Criticals, 18 Purifier, 20 Ninja, 22 Super Slam, 24 Jury Rigging, 26 Nerves of Steel, 28 Living Anatomy, 30 Math Wrath. Also consider Commando, Sniper, Grim Reaper's Spirit.

That build seems pretty good, though I'm pretty sure rank 1 Action Boy would actually be superior to Math Wrath.

Ferrio

Banned
Well now that I have the sniper rifle, and crit pretty much every hit... it's game over. I was struggling really badly until i bought this thing.

Wallach

Ferrio said:
Well now that I have the sniper rifle, and crit pretty much every hit... it's game over. I was struggling really badly until i bought this thing.

Yeah, I really think they overdid the crit multiplier on the sniper rifle. Not sure why they thought x5 was a good idea, the AP cost isn't high enough to justify that.

Update on the "inventory that hides stuff" bug. Yeah, turned out I was also carrying 6 spears and a stormchaser hat that I didn't know about!

What's the unit of weight in this game? Pounds? Those items plus the 2 cowboy repeaters means I've spent the last week or so carrying an extra 14lbs of crap I didn't even know about or need. I'm loving this game, but fuck these bugs :lol

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
Barberetti said:
Yeah, this bug has started really pissing me off, especially noticable when using my trusty cowboy repeater with long barrel and maple stock. Always at the most inopportune moments as well, like earlier today when 3 Legion assassins ran upto me and informed me that I've been "marked for death" by their leader, then opened up on me. I really don't like my gun misbehaving when stuff like that is kicking off.

I had a weird bug today, which also uncovered the answer to a week old mystery. Last week sometime, I bought a couple of cowboy repeaters from the guy in Novac to use as spares for mine. However, when I checked my inventory, they weren't there. I'd just done a load of trading with the guy, and couldn't be bothered to reload my last save and do it all again, so I thought "fuck it" and carried on with the quest I was on.

Fast forward to this afternoon, and on top of the reloading bug I get another one. When I switch from the cowboy repeater to another weapon, then switch back again, the cowboy repeater is empty. So I reload it, switch to another weapon then back again, and sure enough it's empty again. I don't want to dump it for another because it's modded, so I pop back to my house with the idea of moving it into a container and back to my inventory to see if it fixes the problem. When I do this, this is what I see:

111tkrt.png

I've been carrying the 2 cowboy repeaters I bought last week, but the inventory wasn't displaying them, just my modded one! I put the modded one back in my inventory and sure enough the other 2 disappear again. So, the "inventory that hides stuff" bug is another one to watch for.

After I post this, I'm going to empty everything I'm carrying to find out if there's any other shit I don't know about that I've been lugging about the wasteland for fuck knows how long.

Just incase anyone else gets the weapon not loaded after switching bug. Moving it to a container and back again fixes it.
There is a similar bug with armors. If you have two or more of the same armor with equal health and you put on the armor, the others disappear, but are still in your inventory. Removing the armor makes the others reappear.

edit: damn to slow :lol

MrTroubleMaker said:
There is a similar bug with armors. If you have two or more of the same armor with equal health and you put on the armor, the others disappear, but are still in your inventory. Removing the armor makes the others reappear.

edit: damn to slow :lol

:lol

Funny you should post that though, because this whole thing got me thinking back to earlier in the game, and I remember a while back I was sure I sold some helmets, but when I checked later they were still in my inventory but I swear it was a different amount of them. Yeah, now I'm pretty sure I wasn't going mad and they were actually 2 different stacks of helmets but 1 stack wasn't being displayed.

Dresden

That reloading bug does suck. I made a character once, intending to use only pistols, but had to give up because of how annoying that bug was. Mainly because all the best pistols are revolvers, and the one with the most ammo, Lucky, is a .357 magnum which suffers the most from the reloading bug. As for the other options, the Ranger Sequoia is the most powerful handgun in the game, but ammo for that gun has to be carved from the wood of the holy cross or something. So hard to find. And the Mysterious Magnum has horrible crit multipliers.

Wallach

Dresden said:
That reloading bug does suck. I made a character once, intending to use only pistols, but had to give up because of how annoying that bug was. Mainly because all the best pistols are revolvers, and the one with the most ammo, Lucky, is a .357 magnum which suffers the most from the reloading bug. As for the other options, the Ranger Sequoia is the most powerful handgun in the game, but ammo for that gun has to be carved from the wood of the holy cross or something. So hard to find. And the Mysterious Magnum has horrible crit multipliers.

It is making my shotgun-focused character quite annoying to play at times. Luckily I haven't run into that problem with the riot shotgun, and you can kind of get around it by just interrupting the reload, otherwise I'd have probably just given up altogether.

I have to say overall I think energy weapons turned out to be my favorite, which is surprising as I've generally been a big guns type of guy. Still not a fan of the laser weaponry but aside from shotguns the plasma weapons have just been really fun, and the gauss rifle is there if I feel like being a sniping asshole. I might need to fire up Fallout 3 again because I didn't ever really give energy weapons a chance in that game.

Jerk

Banned
Man, I really regret not going with energy weapons now.

I thought the Gobi Sniper rifle would be all I needed to snipe, but the YCS/186 looks so much better.

Dat dps :(

Hyunkel6

Wallach said:
I have to say overall I think energy weapons turned out to be my favorite, which is surprising as I've generally been a big guns type of guy. Still not a fan of the laser weaponry but aside from shotguns the plasma weapons have just been really fun, and the gauss rifle is there if I feel like being a sniping asshole. I might need to fire up Fallout 3 again because I didn't ever really give energy weapons a chance in that game.
Did you get the meltdown perk? One of the most awesome perks in the game IMO. Each shot feels like a mini-nuke.

Wallach

Jerk 2.0 said:
Man, I really regret not going with energy weapons now.

I thought the Gobi Sniper rifle would be all I needed to snipe, but the YCS/186 looks so much better.

I've never used it but the Gobi looks pretty awesome on paper. Can't argue with x5 crit multiplier.

But yeah, YCS/186 + Remnants gave me a big Fallout 2 boner. :lol

Hyunkel6 said:
Did you get the meltdown perk? One of the most awesome perks in the game IMO. Each shot feels like a mini-nuke.

Hell yeah I did. Actually killed myself with it once in V.A.T.S. but even then it felt pretty badass. :lol

Dresden

Awesome, more believers of the Meltdown perk. Damn the haters, it turns your YCS into an explosive sniper rifle. If it kills you, deal with it.

Jerk

Banned
Hmm, I am level 20 and feel like I do not need much else anyway, I think I should invest completely in energy weapons now; I think I can easily get it to 75 (and get some of the perks).

Wallach

Dresden said:
Awesome, more believers of the Meltdown perk. Damn the haters, it turns your YCS into an explosive sniper rifle.

What's sad is that the meltdown explosion off a YCS crit does more damage than a fucking Fat Man. Eat my dick on that, Obsidian.

But really I got the most mileage out of the Q-35. Here is my energy weapons build (warning: I don't make heavy powergaming builds):

STR 4
PER 6
END 4
CHA 4
INT 7
AGI 9
LCK 6

Fast Shot
Kamikaze

Energy Weapons
Science
Speech

(2) Retention
(4) Educated
(6) Comprehension
(8) Commando
(10) Math Wrath (Science 70)
(12) Vigilant Recycler
(14) Finesse
(16) Better Criticals
(18) Plasma Spaz (EW 70)
(20) Sniper
(22) Meltdown (EW 90)
(24) Action Boy
(26) Nerves of Steel
(28) Action Boy
(30) Grim Reaper's Sprint

Basically the idea is HOLY FUCK HIT VATS ERRYDAY with massive skill point availability.

Dresden

Wallach said:
What's sad is that the meltdown explosion off a YCS crit does more damage than a fucking Fat Man. Eat my dick on that, Obsidian.
That's what I thought as well. Combine that with max-charged MFC and an energy build is a far better explosive master than an explosive-focused character... what the hell. Still awesome fun, though. I grinned when I wiped out four cazadors with a single shot.

My build went like this, IIRC:

Good Natured
Heavy Handed (for using melee weapons in the beginning--Chance's Knife is holywtfawesome at the start)

Energy
Science
Sneak

2:Confirmed Bachelor
4:Educated
6:Vigilant Recycler
8:Strong Back
10: Finesse
12: Silent Running
14: Robotics Expert
16: Meltdown
18: Better Criticals

Stopped at level 19 after beating the game for Legion. Ave, hail Kaisar. /vomit

zero margin said:
you guys and this build shit, just stack crit and it is over.
There's no problem with sharing builds for fun, man. It's all about talking about your experiences with the game, and that's a good part of that.

dekjo

Big thread, so haven't read most of it, but has anyone else noticed Nick "Fuck Nick" Breckon in the credits as a writer?

dekjo

Shinjitsu said:
Yeah I got a real good laugh out of that one.:D

Seriously! Blew my mind - so is being a community manager the path way to writing for games? Does that mean Remo will be writing for Bioshock Infinite?

Either way, props to Ratsofatsorat! Hopefully we'll be able to figure out which parts he wrote so we can properly mock them. :lol

Wallach

Maybe it's the rum talking but I really think this might be my favorite Fallout in the series. It just feels like a great marriage of the Fallout 2 spirit and the Fallout 3 first-person/3D style (which even in spite of Gamebryo just makes the world so much more interesting to explore).

Aside from the plain bugs, I think one of the few things I genuinely don't care for is the reintroduction of DT without partial DR. I just don't think the DT system works that well in New Vegas the way it was implemented; if I had to choose between only DT or only DR in terms of balance I think DR was probably superior. Would have much preferred to have seen the old DT/DR system where different armor/enemies had overall less pure DT but higher DR versus different damage types.

Well, that and fix explosives wtf.

Trying hard to like this game, and for the most part I am (it's Fallout, dammit!)...but damn, these crash-to-desktop bugs are just killing me. Can hardly go 10 minutes without one. :( Framerate also gets a bit hairy (1600x1050 on a GTX285) but the dx9 workaround just crashes the game so I do what I can with what I have...

TTG

I think I'm done with this game. Got up to black mountain only to run into 2 crashes(one of which was as the game was attempting to save, I actually had to yank the power cord from my ps3 to restart it). Not that it's anything new, it's been crashing consistently for a while now. I'm a quest away from the end though, some major side quests finished as well.

I gotta say, I'm glad I gamefly'd this one. Getting away from the technical problems, it really feels like a feeble attempt to recreate what Fallout 3 had. The great atmosphere of Washington is gone, replaced by a horribly ugly and rudimentary Vegas. To call the look outdated would be an understatement, but it's not just that... it's a boring place to explore aesthetically and purely as an open world space. If I were to make a list of side quests from the 2 games combined, I don't think a single one from New Vegas would make it in the top 10. Not a lot of depth(how many have a single outcome?). The writing is mundane, the scenarios have taken a step back to the usual RPG spiel, Fallout 3's side quest were creative and unpredictable.

And when you take those 2 things out of it and add the fact that it's the buggiest big release I've played this gen... there's not much left to love. It's not like Fallout 3 thrived on the stuff Morrowind and Oblivion had. They cut a lot of the sand box stuff and vastness out of it to focus on the world and making each side quest as good as it could be. New Vegas drops the ball on both of those, but then again, they're not Bethesda. It's not a BAD game, but considering the time investment required, I don't want to be putting another 20 hours(or whatever it will take to go through the rest of the side quests) into something that's average and devoid of anything interesting.

I guess my hopes were more like what Bioshock 2 is to Bioshock. Not the brilliance of the original, but a very much worthwhile iteration on the formula. This is a loud and clear step back, sorry to sound so negative.

After a brief hiatus due to assignments and attempting to finish Fable 3 within the rental period I'm back into New Vegas and I'm certainly glad to be back. Picking up where I left off, Beyond the Beef really demonstrates Obsidian's mastery of choice. Not overly satisfied with my initial conclusion which was relatively brief due to high levels of speech and charisma I reloaded an earlier save and took an investigatory route which opened up a whole host of new options. I feel I could spend a couple of hours alone just on this sidequest to explore all the possible variables, it's very impressive.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm at
Vault 19
right now, and I'm
about to detonate the cave and the vault, because my explosives stats are so low (47).

I had such a blast yesterday, summary of what I did:
me and Boone sniped the whole of Cottonwood Cove, that was just so amazing because I used my new sniper rifle, the Gobi Campaign which I found at Sniper's Nest. I must have one shot killed 15 legionnaire's from the distance, they were running around like headless chickens. :D Highly recommend you do what it takes to get the Gobi Campaign scout rifle, it's immense.

Also, I finally finished Veronica's quest, and finished the Brotherhood quests at Hidden Valley, and became a Brotherhood Paladin and got some armour. Which I'm now using.

Done a couple of mines as well, Silver Rush, and Ruby Peak, where I found the Remnant's Power Helmet. Are the Remnant's what is left over of the Enclave or something? Is their power armour also in the game? And what's with that Remnant's bunker I found? I can't enter it, will I be able to?

Another highlight, was just going solo in Dead Wind Cavern and killing lots of Deathclaws with my anti-material rifle. I took my time, and sneaked all over the place. It made for a very rewarding experience. I met the Legendary Deathclaw and took it down with one armour piercing round :D Then as soon as I exit the place, there were 4 those of mean bastard Deathclaws waiting for me so I ran as far as I could. I kept on hearing something behind me chasing me, breathing very heavily and running very fast. I assumed it was just a Deathclaw but I turned around and noticed it was actually a measly Mole Rat.

Other than that, I finished off some quests I've been meaning to do and finished off the Boomer stuff. Can't say I liked the Boomers but I helped them anyway.

I love this game.

Great. I booted up the game. The mouse doesn't work and the arrow keys/enter keys only work in the menu. When the game loads I can't control anything.

EDIT: nm, I had the 360 controller plugged in! :lol

Dresden said:
I think reloading is fine if you're crouching. The bug seems to happen when standing up. Still a friggin' pain, all the same.

Puddles

Banned
I haven't posted in this thread yet, but I to ask: if Fallout 3 is one of my top 5 games of all time, how much will I like this one?

Almak

Puddles said:
I haven't posted in this thread yet, but I to ask: if Fallout 3 is one of my top 5 games of all time, how much will I like this one?
If you liked Fallout 3, you will like this game, since it is pretty much more of the same in a different location with implementation of factions.

X26

Banned
Puddles said:

Well if you like F3 that much it's pretty much a guarantee you'll like this. Whether you'll like it more, who knows, most do it seems though (me included).

Raxus

Jax said:
IMO useless.

Survival is a pretty garbage skill...
Partially because the skill it should help (health from food supplies) does nothing. I got it to 60 just to learn a majority of the recipes for my hardcore playthrough was done since most of my critical skills were maxed out anyway. I just need to earn the survivalist, stimpack, weapon mod and legend of the star achievement and I will have done practically everything the game has to offer. Slightly disappointed with this game since few locations stand out compared to last game.

question about hidden valley

if I had Hardin take over, where can I find McNamara?

is there a way to change that choice? the game kinda pulls the rug from under you with that choice. They make it sound like Hardin is what you'd want, but reading up on it, McNamara is the more progressive one despite what he says

PC verison, btw. I know there is a command to reset the quest, but I can't find McNamara to talk to him about it.

Wallach said:
Maybe it's the rum talking but I really think this might be my favorite Fallout in the series. It just feels like a great marriage of the Fallout 2 spirit and the Fallout 3 first-person/3D style (which even in spite of Gamebryo just makes the world so much more interesting to explore).

I had the same thought, but my drink at the time was blackberry port from the Okanagan region of BC.

At what point in the game does the story split past the point of no return? I want to make a save so that I can load it up and play all of endings with the one character.

Haunted

Crazymoogle said:
Trying hard to like this game, and for the most part I am (it's Fallout, dammit!)...but damn, these crash-to-desktop bugs are just killing me. Can hardly go 10 minutes without one. :( Framerate also gets a bit hairy (1600x1050 on a GTX285) but the dx9 workaround just crashes the game so I do what I can with what I have...
Do you have a dual monitor setup? Try to disable the secondary monitor before starting NV with the dx9.dll fix. Fixed the crashing at startup for me and really helped with the general stuttering, framerate and crashing problems.

Wallach

Raxus said:
Partially because the skill it should help (health from food supplies) does nothing. I got it to 60 just to learn a majority of the recipes for my hardcore playthrough was done since most of my critical skills were maxed out anyway. I just need to earn the survivalist, stimpack, weapon mod and legend of the star achievement and I will have done practically everything the game has to offer. Slightly disappointed with this game since few locations stand out compared to last game.

The bonus to healing from food/drink works fine, and is actually pretty dramatic. You go up to x2 sustenance/healing from items at 50 Survival skill and x3 sustenance/healing at 100.

ElyrionX said:
How important are the ammo recipe perks?

Depends on the weapon. For all energy weapons, I very much recommend Vigilant Recycler. Max Charge ammo is basically a 50% boost in DAM for all weapons, get it.

For guns, it doesn't do anything for shotguns, and the 10mm hand load recipe is only good against unarmored. Besides those ammo types though, the custom ammo is again just superior and the margin is competitive enough that it actually beats most perks in pure DAM gain.

Puddles said:

Hard to say. I'd consider Fallout 3 one of my favorites and I just didn't care for this much at all.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
snoopeasystreet said:
At what point in the game does the story split past the point of no return? I want to make a save so that I can load it up and play all of endings with the one character.
There will be a pop-up screen that will say you are entering the final area if you wish to continue so you arent going to find yourself at the end wondering how you got there.

water_wendi said:
There will be a pop-up screen that will say you are entering the final area if you wish to continue so you arent going to find yourself at the end wondering how you got there.

The point of no return to get all the endings is way before the final area though.

sangreal

snoopeasystreet said:

It splits at the strip. The main factions all forgive you for past misdeeds and you can follow whichever path you want. This isn't really the point of no return though because you can change your mind up until the very end really as long as you don't completely piss off the other factions. I think the "True" point of no return for choosing a faction is when you tell a faction head
that you secured the boomer's support for them

You can't get all the endings with one character anyway, since there is way more to the ending than which of the 4 end-game factions you support.

Lakitu

st5fu
Wow... found a pretty huge glitch, how the hell did this pass? --
I'm trying to convince the Great Khans leader to not have an allegiance with Caesar, so I have to speak to various people. I go to speak to Melissa at the Great Khan Encampment only she isn't there. As I did a quest for her there some 30 hours ago. And now because I did that quest earlier, it seems like I won't be able to finish this one.
I'm angry to be honest. Is there a workaround or have I botched it for good?

Patch this shit please, Obsidian. What's the status on it?

Top Bottom