• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout - Series Reviews

Paperboy

My only complaint about the series and it is due to the budget is the lack of mutated creatures which made the post-apocalyptic world seem a lot less dangerous than how it was in the games. We only saw a handful of mutated creatures whereas in the games you could barely go 10 feet without encountering a human or mutated enemy. Of course, I wasn't expecting fights every 2 minutes, that would be boring anyway, but I expected to see more in the way of background creatures and especially mutated insects etc.

Agreed. Hope we get to see some Deathclaws, Super mutants and more mutated animals overall in the second season (they teased us with the former). In one way it's nice that they saved something for us to look forward to.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Finished it yesterday with the wife. We're both looking forward to season 2 now. Did it have some plot issues and pivoted from the game? Sure. Did I still enjoy it regardless? Absolutely. Maximus is my only real complaint with the show. I just never found myself interested in his character.

I've seen him act since The Shield in 2002. So yes, for the last 20+ years he has been a very average at best actor...
Congratulations. You've just had one of the worst takes I've ever seen. He's one of the best character actors working, period. Vice Principles, The Righteous Gemstones, Justified, Hateful 8, he's great in The Shield. I don't think he's ever actually been bad, and most of the time, he's better than everyone else in the project he's in.

Congratulations. You've just had one of the worst takes I've ever seen. He's one of the best character actors working, period. Vice Principles, The Righteous Gemstones, Justified, Hateful 8, he's great in The Shield. I don't think he's ever actually been bad, and most of the time, he's better than everyone else in the project he's in.

He overacts in pretty much everything he is in and has extremely limited range. He's not terrible in Fallout mind you, but he isn't great either, no one is.

He overacts in pretty much everything he is in and has extremely limited range. He's not terrible in Fallout mind you, but he isn't great either, no one is.
Danny Mcbride Hbo GIF by Vice Principals

I've seen him act since The Shield in 2002. So yes, for the last 20+ years he has been a very average at best actor...
No accounting for taste really. You could feel Day Lewis, Philip Seymour Hoffman, or Brando are bad actors, there’s definitely people that do - that’s your right and your opinion. However most would disagree with you, especially professional actors.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
He always plays a certain style of character, but he's just a cool guy. Sometimes all you really need is someone with charisma that makes a show entertaining, and that's what he always does in everything. Sons of Anarchy, Hateful Eight, Justified. He pretty much steals attention and steals any scene he's in. I wouldn't say he's some amazing chameleon actor, but maybe he'll get a little more opportunity after the breakout success of this.

No accounting for taste really. You could feel Day Lewis, Philip Seymour Hoffman, or Brando are bad actors, there’s definitely people that do - that’s your right and your opinion. However most would disagree with you, especially professional actors.

Imagine listing these 3 actors in an attempt to argue that Walton Goggins is a good actor...

Imagine listing these 3 actors in an attempt to argue that Walton Goggins is a good actor...
I don’t have to imagine because I did it. My point is acting is subjective. A few rando people think those three suck, and you think Goggins is simply an average actor - but these are all outlier opinions. Most everyone who’s actually worked in the industry professionally will tell you Goggins is legitimately a great actor. Your “range” criticism tells me you haven’t watched a lot of his work - (watch I’m a Virgo vs fallout vs hateful eight vs vice principals vs righteous gemstones for example) - how would you say his “range” compares to a Jack Nicholson or Christopher Walken? Do you think they are average as well? Theres a reason he’s in two Quentin Tarantino films - you don’t see it and that’s fine - but to pretend it’s a consensus or some absolute fact is where it becomes a little ridiculous

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don’t have to imagine because I did it. My point is acting is subjective. A few rando people think those three suck, and you think Goggins is simply an average actor - but these are all outlier opinions. Most everyone who’s actually worked in the industry professionally will tell you Goggins is legitimately a great actor. Your “range” criticism tells me you haven’t watched a lot of his work - (watch I’m a Virgo vs fallout vs hateful eight vs vice principals vs righteous gemstones for example) - how would you say his “range” compares to a Jack Nicholson or Christopher Walken? Do you think they are average as well? Theres a reason he’s in two Quentin Tarantino films - you don’t see it and that’s fine - but to pretend it’s a consensus or some absolute fact is where it becomes a little ridiculous

This is exactly what you are doing…

This is exactly what you are doing…
There is absolutely a consensus that Walton Goggins is a good actor. He’s used by great directors, he’s achieved great acclaim. I’ve never even seen anyone say he’s not a good actor until neogaf. Consensus means general agreement, which means there are outliers, so yes, there is a consensus he’s a good actor. There is not a consensus that he’s a bad actor.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah because it is a consensus he’s a great actor in the industry. If you’re going against the consensus - it’s an outlier opinion
There is absolutely a consensus that Walton Goggins is a good actor. He’s used by great directors, he’s achieved great acclaim. I’ve never even seen anyone say he’s not a good actor until neogaf. Consensus means general agreement, which means there are outliers, so yes, there is a consensus he’s a good actor. There is not a consensus that he’s a bad actor.

Thanks for proving the hypocrisy of your statements and doubling down on them.

If you want to be taken seriously, at least mean what you say.

My man, do you know the definition of consensus? This isn’t a debate, there is a general agreement overall that he’s a very good actor. There’s no controversy here. You can disagree, but that doesn’t change that there is a consensus.

GIF by The Simpsons

Last edited:

I do mean what I say - if you read what I wrote. It’s ridiculous to say he’s a middling actor unequivocally when the consensus is that he’s not - just like it would ridiculous to say Tommy Wiseau is an incredible actor - when the consensus is that he’s not - you can have an outlier opinion but it’s an outlier. Theres no hypocrisy.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I do mean what I say - if you read what I wrote. It’s ridiculous to say he’s a middling actor unequivocally when the consensus is that he’s not - just like it would ridiculous to say Tommy Wiseau is an incredible actor - when the consensus is that he’s not - you can have an outlier opinion but it’s an outlier. Theres no hypocrisy.
Sure Jan GIF

I’m curious if there’s a single instance recorded anywhere of someone thinking Walton Goggins giving a bad performance. I did a google search for “Walton goggins overrated” and “Walton goggins bad performance” and I got nothing but praise/the opposite. I know there’s at least one here on neogaf.

What is your personal definition of the word consensus?

Last edited:

I've seen him in the following:

The Next Karate Kid
Shanghai Noon
The Shield
Lincoln
Django Unchained
Sons of Anarchy
The Hateful Eight
Maze Runner: The Death Cure
Tomb Raider
Antman and the Wasp
Invincible - VO
Fallout

You're absolutely right that opinion is subjective, but I've seen in him plenty to know that he isn't a great actor, and that's my opinion. What's also a fact is that he is not a leading actor. What's also a fact is that he has never won a single major award, only being nominated once for a major award. If you were to google any list of the top 100 actors, you wouldn't find his name on a single one of the lists. He was in two Tarantino movies and in neither of the movies was he the lead. He was also in two of the lower ranked Tarantino movies (maybe Django is more towards the middle, but still lower)

I've seen him in the following:

The Next Karate Kid
Shanghai Noon
The Shield
Lincoln
Django Unchained
Sons of Anarchy
The Hateful Eight
Maze Runner: The Death Cure
Tomb Raider
Antman and the Wasp
Invincible - VO
Fallout

You're absolutely right that opinion is subjective, but I've seen in him plenty to know that he isn't a great actor, and that's my opinion. What's also a fact is that he is not a leading actor. What's also a fact is that he has never won a single major award, only being nominated once for a major award. If you were to google any list of the top 100 actors, you wouldn't find his name on a single one of the lists. He was in two Tarantino movies and in neither of the movies was he the lead. He was also in two of the lower ranked Tarantino movies (maybe Django is more towards the middle, but still lower)
So an average actor gets nominated for a primetime Emmy somehow? How does that work? Youre talking about an industry with hundreds of thousands of people in it - The leading actor vs character actor distinction really doesn’t mean much because he’s a character actor. If you lead movies it doesn’t mean you’re a better actor - it’s not like Channing Tatum or the Rock are better than Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Either way I’m pretty sure in the next couple years he’s gonna get a few more major award noms - you need both a hit show plus a great performance - (more hit show than anything else) - I’m sure he’ll get some noms this year for Fallout and definitely for White Lotus season 3

Last edited:
So an average actor gets nominated for a primetime Emmy somehow? How does that work? Youre talking about an industry with hundreds of thousands of people in it - The leading actor vs character actor distinction really doesn’t mean much because he’s a character actor. If you lead movies it doesn’t mean you’re a better actor - it’s not like Channing Tatum or the Rock are better than Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Either way I’m pretty sure in the next couple years he’s gonna get a few more major award noms - you need both a hit show plus a great performance - (more hit show than anything else) - I’m sure he’ll get some noms this year for Fallout and definitely for White Lotus season 3

1 nomination in 20+ years of acting...

PSH starred in Capote...

Alebrije

Good show, it improves on every chapter.. Glad they don't used all the Fallout lore on this season so more can be shown on next one.

My only complain is that flora and fauna looked normal not irradiated like the one you SEE on the games...little mutate stuff.

In a lot of ways, it is much more difficult to be a character actor than a leading actor. Most leading actors usually play similar versions of the same character in all their movies. Hollywood greats like Gary Oldman or Ed Harris were supporting actors the vast majority of their careers and nobody would denigrate them for their lack of leading man roles. Same with Phillip Seymour Hoffman. When it comes to TV shows, I would much rather have a very good character actor than your average Hollywood leading man playing the part

Last edited:
1 nomination in 20+ years of acting...

PSH starred in Capote...
It could be 50 years. If you’re nominated for an Emmy at some point in your career - chances are you are far above average.

PSH led way fewer movies than The Rock or Channing Tatum or Keanu Reeves or Mark Wahlberg is what I’m saying. He was mostly a character actor - leading actors aren’t more talented than character actors by virtue of leading the movie - in fact it’s often the opposite.

Buggy Loop

Finished it during lunch

Brilliant. I’m now waiting on season 2 big time. The Ghoul steals the show anytime he’s on screen, amazing presence, voice and just western badassery.

When is season 2 expected? I hope it’s confirmed there’s a season 2 at the very least.

I’ve enjoyed this more than any other game to tv adaptation. Even TLoU which I liked very much.

I’m reinstalling New Vegas

juegos fallout GIF

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

219 years after the great war, everyone in the Brotherhood battalion has a pristine white T shirt on and is clean shaven

5N2EftG.gif

As for that fight in the Vault, the cast knowing what's actually going in above ground and various other shite..

This isn't the Fallout I was expecting. Actually it was, it's 2024 after all.

Rating, I found it all a bit poo.

Last edited:

DeathGuise

I don't want to interject myself in the Great Goggins War of 2024 because I don't mind when someone has a different opinion than me, but I think it's really tough to look at Goggins's performances in The Hateful Eight and Vice Principals and suggest that he's of merely average talent.
Or the Shield. He could have a youtube channel with twelve years of him doing nothing but sewing and I wouldn't care-- his performance as Shane Vendrell was historic

Hardensoul

I don't want to interject myself in the Great Goggins War of 2024 because I don't mind when someone has a different opinion than me, but I think it's really tough to look at Goggins's performances in The Hateful Eight and Vice Principals and suggest that he's of merely average talent.
I think he’s a good supporting actor but I wouldn’t be searching to watch movies or series he’s in. He has memorable facial feature and mannerisms.

This discussion has proven to me at least that he seem to be the same in almost all his roles that I saw. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Fallout role for me is better than all of the others due to him being more of a main character! He really carried Fallout for me.

I have my issues with Fallout show but I’m interested in S2 in part because of Goggins as the Ghoul.

Last edited:

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
On the back of the show and the upcoming patch I reinstalled FO4 this evening on PS5. Crashes every time just after booting up lol.

XXL

Ok I will say ...

Last two eps pull it all together. Goes from 6 to an 8 for me.

Definitely the past and vault stuff is waaay more interesting than any of the boys style wasteland stuff.
Arnold Schwarzenegger Handshake GIF

100%

The Wasteland stuff is just average.

The Vault/Past stuff is absolutely amazing. That stuff is just good story telling and it's structured perfectly.

Last edited:

DeathGuise

I just started the first episode.

Really early to say, but right now it kinda seems like one of those... "Things I know" tributes

On the back of the show and the upcoming patch I reinstalled FO4 this evening on PS5. Crashes every time just after booting up lol.
The Bethesda Fallout Experience™
That whole scene was hilariously bad. Especially when you find out how powerful the armor could be.
Eh, I've seen people in power armor crumble against yao guai in Fallout 76. Not entirely unbelievable.

However, what's funny is that when Max puts on the helmet, the HUD shows that the armor is in perfect condition for the rest of the show lol

StueyDuck

Finished it during lunch

Brilliant. I’m now waiting on season 2 big time. The Ghoul steals the show anytime he’s on screen, amazing presence, voice and just western badassery.

When is season 2 expected? I hope it’s confirmed there’s a season 2 at the very least.

I’ve enjoyed this more than any other game to tv adaptation. Even TLoU which I liked very much.

I’m reinstalling New Vegas

juegos fallout GIF
i don't think it's better than TLOU of personally, i think just overall the performances and quality as a standalone show for TLoU was far better than this.

that being said, in regards to being a video game tv show, this definitely has me wanting to jump into FO76 now which TLoU didn't do at all for me (or any other gaming adaptions we've had so far)

so long story short, it's the best video game show (i'd say maybe equal to twisted metal in some areas). I think TLoU stands more on it's own if you were to give it to a random who had no idea what gaming is.

Last edited:
Angry Joe has got to be one of the most distasteful persona's ever. His whole gimmick is overreacting and being insincere. Not to mention his friends (cronies?) look like a bunch of 50IQ troglodytes that can barely string together a cohesive sentence.

Then there's the guy with a furry pfp calling the show ''overrated'' while it's been out for like 3 days and has barely gotten the chance to be judged by the masses

Some people really cannot be honest without mixing a lil anger/frustration into the bag

I like him. When I just used to see some clips here and there I thought he was just doing some weird gimmick. Maybe at one time he was. I watch his reviews here and there and I think he's good. Give his honest opinion. He doesn't really overreact anymore or not from what I've seen anyways. At the end of the day he tends to like the things I do and the things I don't like he feels the same way. So I just go to get an idea.

Can't wait to watch this show but I just haven't had time to do shit.

i don't think it's better than TLOU of personally, i think just overall the performances and quality as a standalone show for TLoU was far better than this.

that being said, in regards to being a video game tv show, this definitely has me wanting to jump into FO76 now which TLoU didn't do at all for me (or any other gaming adaptions we've had so far)

so long story short, it's the best video game show (i'd say maybe equal to twisted metal in some areas). I think TLoU stands more on it's own if you were to give it to a random who had no idea what gaming is.
I feel this way. I think TLOU is the better show but I enjoyed Fallout more because it had an original story line. TLOU show was pretty much just a 1/1 adaptation of a game I knew every plot beat

Top Bottom