• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout - Series Reviews

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Yea, the chicken fucking was odd. I thought I misheard.
Inclusivity bigot!

6fvRinq.gif

Melon Husk

De-aged Denzel looking good, looks younger than he did in Training Day.

They didn't clearly have the budget for BoS, his background should've stayed a mystery. They tried too hard to make him a good guy, which was jarring narratively.

John Bilbo

I'm hearing about a chara with they\them pronouns?

How do you even know this? Does she\he say that or it's just info on his character page on the internet?

Like she\he legit tell people in the show to use they\them?
I'm not sure about the character's pronouns but there is a female trans actress portraying a male soldier in the show. I noticed the character having female-like facial features and a female-like voice first. Then I wondered why that character was so skinny while being supposedly a soldier in a physically demanding role and decided to check the person on the internet. Yes, the person is trans.

Denton

Fan since Fallout 1. Not sure what you are referring to.
I am also fan since Fallout 1.

And I was very annoyed by them annihilating NCR in nuclear fire. Basically whenever I replay Fallout 1 and 2 now, no matter how my playthrough ends, I can think "and then it all exploded..". So that sucks.

Or I can just ignore the show and consider it non-canon, and I am used to doing that already with hollyweird fucking up Star Wars and Terminator etc..

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Gold Member
Shhh. Turn brain off. Consume.
Kinda have to sometimes. At least it is not so dumb like Rings of Power. The production good and world looks intriguing. It’s watchable, but if you aren’t a fan of the games. I don’t think I can recommend.

I finished 5 episodes. But still more dumb moments.
Maximus coming in to wreck the cast out ceremony is weird, he had to help Lucy but they made scene comical
. The show is uneven, there are parts that seem to get intense but turned comical that didn’t need to be.

The roll out of the backstory/mystery is keeping me in. Ghoul, Lucy are carrying the show. Maximus would’ve been better if they didn’t make him dumb and but more of alpha male. Right now Maximus is just bumbling through in his favor!

Edit: I just realize who Maximus reminds me of. He reminds me of Finn for Star Wars. I hope he does not go the way Finn did! 😂

Last edited:

DragonNCM

The show is damn on spot. Bringing wasteland to life (as in game) is damn well done. Remind's me of me, first starting Fallout 3 on Xbox 360. So much attention is given even to smallest Fallout details like stimpacks, bottles of Nuka cola, bottle caps, world interior, even weapons look right from the game. Storry is interesting, characters are nothing special but overal plot is good(watched 3 episodes till now).

As am I and I don’t see how this is anything other than a modern shitty show with wearing a poorly done fallout cosplay.

NCR, How they treat vaults, how they deal with the Brotherhood and Enclave. Sure they have the costumes, doesn’t mean they know jack all about the lore and continuity.

This whole website has become nothing more than 24/7 negativity about literally everything. You can have your opinion but why shit on other people’s fun. Literally every thread is i hate this or this is stupid or even worse, you’re stupid for liking this. Not sure what happened to gaf but they should rename it from a discussion forum to a complaint forum so at least new people know what they are getting into.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This whole website has become nothing more than 24/7 negativity about literally everything. You can have your opinion but why shit on other people’s fun. Literally every thread is i hate this or this is stupid or even worse, you’re stupid for liking this. Not sure what happened to gaf but they should rename it from a discussion forum to a complaint forum so at least new people know what they are getting into.
We are a discussion forum. This means there will be people with different opinions than you. If you want a circle jerk, go elsewhere.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Watched the first two episodes last night. Pretty good so far.

A few things are feeling rushed, which is common with so many shows now. I also noticed several scenes that were cut in a weird way.

The sets, and details are fantastic! The gore is great.

Nonehxc

One of my all time favorites
I'm about to start ep4, and I'm really hoppin' we have a Lone Wolf & Cub situation here. The sound cue that you hear and you know that 'Shit's Gonna Happen', or as I've christened it, The Yodel of Death , is so much fuckin' Chef's Kiss 😚👌🏻❤️

He's an amazing anti-hero right now and everything he's giving us has been fuckin' magnetic.

I mean, I can't remember the name of the girl except she's MacLean, mainly because her father is Kyle MacLachlan in real life and he's one of my favourite actors since Twin Peaks. But I really hope she's the McGuffin and we have that Alabaman irradiating us for so long that we turn into Super Mutants. 😄

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Watched 3 with the wife last night and both of us enjoyed it. Plan to finish it over the weekend if time permits together.

We did both ask why did they shoe horn in a trans person into episode 1. 1950s era originally and then 200 years later they refer to the individual as “their”. This tiny twig was good enough to carry the giant weapon bag as a squire? Wtf? I don’t recall fallout games having more than a he/she option in game so it definitely wasn’t part of the source material.

That was the only moment that sucked us out of the show and felt like pandering/agenda shit. If it had been a bigger buff trans person it would’ve made more sense considering the role of a squire initially.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Saw the reviews. What’s the verdict for people here who watched? I’m actually excited to get a decent Fallout show. I got spoiled by a post and saw
a potential New Vegas focus next season.

Last edited:

simpatico

I didnt play it for the terrible main story, that's for sure. But pretty much everything else I loved about it, hence why I love F3 and I didnt like NV or 4.

I see your point, but I reckon it only worked as a game. As a series, Fallout setting is too absurd to be taken seriously. The Last of Us still has a foot in reality. Fallout is alternative universe 50's era with absurd technology and radioative monsters. Try telling a meaningful, serious story that will resonate with people in that setting.

They made the right call by making it recognize its own absurdity
I can imagine a scenario where a Fallout show is mostly dark and serious and once every 3 episodes just has something completely off the wall and silly. Just like the Wild Wastleland perk provides in New Vegas. But considering you didn’t like the story in New Vegas, I doubt we’re going to see eye to eye on any story based media.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Discussion
There isn't much discussion with an "I hate this, turned off after 2 minutes. This is the worst shit I have ever seen, anyone who likes this is a moron" type alpha quitter post.

It is a valid opinion and discussion point, as much as saying it is the “best fallout anything since 3!”

Stop getting butthurt and trying to stifle discussion because it isn’t the opinion you have.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Watched 3 with the wife last night and both of us enjoyed it. Plan to finish it over the weekend if time permits together.

We did both ask why did they shoe horn in a trans person into episode 1. 1950s era originally and then 200 years later they refer to the individual as “their”. This tiny twig was good enough to carry the giant weapon bag as a squire? Wtf? I don’t recall fallout games having more than a he/she option in game so it definitely wasn’t part of the source material.

That was the only moment that sucked us out of the show and felt like pandering/agenda shit. If it had been a bigger buff trans person it would’ve made more sense considering the role of a squire initially.
It’s not really 1950s America. I don’t recall them ever referencing race relations in the lore for instance, just “red scare” type stuff in an otherwise obviously completely fictional universe which homages to 1950s America.

It is shoe-horned but it’s also like 2 minutes of 1 episode lol. 200 years is a long time for something to develop to. It’s obvious why they included it but that stuff is so brief in this show and honestly I didn’t even notice it until my wife mentioned it.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I just assumed it was someone sick from radiation poisoning. Would make far more sense than a trans person in fallout.

Markio128

I’ve watched the 1st episode. It was alright, but I kind of lost interest part way through. I did enjoy the vault 33 part, but not much more after that.

XXL

Just finished Season 1.

It's pretty great and gets better as it goes. Definitely excited for Season 2.

The dialogue writing gets better and less cringe as you progress deeper into the season, which was an issue in the earlier episodes.

Most of the acting is pretty good as well. The actress who plays Lucy was better than I expected from the trailers.

My only real issue with it is people conveniently being in locations.

All of the vault stuff is fascinating and is easily the best part of the show.

The show so far is much better than I feared, but not quite as good as I hoped. I've always been a massive fan of Fallout, so I had high hopes for this. I went in with a critical mindset and was pleasantly surprised. Towards the end the show has only been getting better so I'm looking forward to the nest season.

- The writing isn't as clever as I assume they think it is. I'm watching the show with my brother, and we were calling plot points well in advance. I'm finding the goofy humor used in the show lines up pretty well with the games. I've read tons of complaints about the power armor flying around like a deflating balloon, but I remember covering an entire town in shit in Fallout 2, sending Ghouls off in rockets (or crashing them) that looked like Disney rides in NV, an entire military faction dressed up in old football gear, Robobrains. There has been a lot of goofy shit in Fallout over the years, the power armor thing was pretty tame honestly.

- The Ghoul is great in his role, Lucy is great in her role, most of the characters have been pretty good. I didn't like Maximus at first. Once I realized he's just extra socially retarded I warmed up to his character. His odd behavior swings remind me of Gomer Pyle in Full Metal Jacket. It has led to some funny situations but also has shown what he is capable of doing when he gets angry and loses control. If his character grows too fast and moves past his awkwardness too quickly, he will become a less interesting character.

- The set pieces and atmosphere are excellent, top-notch. I'm impressed with what they've done with all the cars, I've recognized most of them, but they did a great job sourcing concept cars and oddball vehicles that aren't instantly recognizable by most people. I'm getting a kick out of just how much stuff is crammed into every scene. The Mr. Handy looked great, and I can't wait to see more robots, tech and creatures in the future. The Red Rocket station looked awesome.

- "Modern audience" pandering in the show is limited to minor things and mostly unnoticeable, just a sprinkle here and there. The most obvious "modern times" thing is the non-binary BOS member with a miserable attempt at facial hair. Hilariously, the character self-harms and lets the entire BOS blame Maximus for it, which seems about right.

Hugare

I can imagine a scenario where a Fallout show is mostly dark and serious and once every 3 episodes just has something completely off the wall and silly. Just like the Wild Wastleland perk provides in New Vegas. But considering you didn’t like the story in New Vegas, I doubt we’re going to see eye to eye on any story based media.
I felt the urge to explain myself 'cause I like NV story. Its a really well written game.

But the Mojave desert sucks, and it sucks so much, imo. Its just so, so boring. They clearly didnt have the budget or time to come up with a better setting and it shows.

Atmosphere is huge for me in a Bethesda game (Obsidian, I know, but I meant the template). If the setting sucks, than the game just sucks for me. I wanted to love NV, and theres much to love there, but the setting kills it for me.

Not the case with F4 tho. I have tons of other problems with that game.

Top Bottom