• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout - Series Reviews

This show has really put me in the mood to play some Fallout. Really wish they would make 3 and NV playable on modern consoles. Was checking PS store and NV cannot be purchased online. I think it's streamable on PS+ Premium but that feels less than optimal.

Maybe will give 4 a second chance with the next-gen patch. Didn't really gel with it first time around due to the focus on base-building and worse dialogue system
'modern consoles'? my xbox series s has them both (replayed new vegas about a year ago)...

Apart from everything about Maximus and the Brotherhood of Steel I think the series is absolutely brilliant. I had zero expectations but overall it's really, really great! Wow!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I liked it, but that one vault of misfits kinda goes against the whole series/concept. Just live there, lol, even with their weird ceremonies which you probably don't even have to attend anyway. If there's too much funny/wholesome stuff like this it feels like there are no stakes involved. We'll see how S2 does it. Did anyone else think they'd reveal some weird timeline disconnect between what the vault dwellers think and how/when things really happened? Like when Maximus says the bombs fell when he was a kid, I guess he wasn't talking about THE bombs (well, to him they were) and the vault secret unveiling in parallel to all the other stuff was an altogether different thing after all and didn't affect their idea of the timeline. Well in the end I only didn't like the big CG monsters I guess, I hope they do that stuff better in S2, but at least they weren't too overused.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not sure if you own an Xbox, but both are available through backwards compat on their store.

But they are on Xbox Series and they both got the 60 fps boost.

New Vegas runs at 720/60 but FO3 got a proper 4K upgrade as well, and in 4K/60 is pretty decent, the old technology makes it really look like the capital wasteland it's supposed to be.

5-20-2023_2-15-55_pm-ygfla.png

5-20-2023_2-15-55_pm-bjc4d.png

5-20-2023_2-15-54_pm-epfkg.png

fallout3-2023_05_21-0hcez0.png

Alright after hating the first 2 episodes, it got better and better and now Im done with it. I liked it overall but a lot of plot holes and things left in the air. Dunno if season 2 will fix/keep it up, usually modern shows have shit followup seasons so guess will see.

I finished the series and it's an A- to me.

Thinking back, I think most of the complaints about Maximus, including his odd choices of dialogue and decisions, wouldn't be as big of a deal if the character was 18 or 19 years old or something. Most of what he says and does speaks to a guy who has arrested development and thus is very kid-like in nature.

The problem is that it's much harder to believe these things, when he has lived in a wasteland for much longer than that and is played by an actor in his 30s who looks late 30s.

Someone with more of a baby face, similar to the actor from Stranger Things, could have been a better fit.

oWEbY2lzVf49wB6tlpjBbKyVRD94Rl6efVoHhFoHFtmAOLYEDdkKWsS1439zV5E6WKsryNE9kw=s900-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj

Hopefully they do a better job of explaining his character beyond the one 'walking out of fridge' scene, when season 2 arrives.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

My review: There were some good things about it which made it watchable, but in the end, it just added up to a lot of boring cliché brain rot nonsense.

Lucy:

• Strength: 4
  • Perception: 7
  • Endurance: 6
  • Charisma: 5
  • Intelligence: 6
  • Agility: 5
  • Luck: 7

The Ghoul:

• Strength: 5
  • Perception: 6
  • Endurance: 7
  • Charisma: 7
  • Intelligence: 4
  • Agility: 7
  • Luck: 4

Maximus:

• Strength: 7
  • Luck: 5

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Lucy:

• Strength: 4
  • Perception: 7
  • Intelligence: 6
  • Agility: 5
  • Luck: 7

The Ghoul:

• Strength: 5
  • Endurance: 7
  • Charisma: 7
  • Luck: 4

Maximus:

• Strength: 7
  • Luck: 5

Ghoul's perception and intelligence should be higher, he took out multiple Power Armor's effortlessly.

New Vegas runs at 720/60 but FO3 got a proper 4K upgrade as well, and in 4K/60 is pretty decent, the old technology makes it really look like the capital wasteland it's supposed to be.

5-20-2023_2-15-55_pm-ygfla.png

5-20-2023_2-15-55_pm-bjc4d.png

5-20-2023_2-15-54_pm-epfkg.png

fallout3-2023_05_21-0hcez0.png
How does New Vegas hold up by today's standards? In terms of gameplay mechanics etc?

Ghoul's perception and intelligence should be higher, he took out multiple Power Armor's effortlessly.
Isn’t that mainly because he had already learned in the past(pre-ghoul) about their weak point due to some of his platoon being killed from that big flaw in design?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Why doesn't Jonathan Nolan talk like Christopher Nolan?

Edit: Because he spent more time in Chicago than Chris as a kid.

Last edited:
6-7/10.

Good production values. Nice world building.

Really didnt like the casting/writing/acting (except ghoul)

Pacing was okay at first, but really started to get on my nerves.

Entertaining surely, but in the end came across as just not that good. Feels too campy and walking dead-esque.

jason10mm

Gold Member
6-7/10.

Good production values. Nice world building.

Really didnt like the casting/writing/acting (except ghoul)

Pacing was okay at first, but really started to get on my nerves.

Entertaining surely, but in the end came across as just not that good. Feels too campy and walking dead-esque.
See, I disagree with you there. The world building in this is straight up 100% mystery box horseshit. Almost none of it works looking backwards. I'm too tired to put a lot of ep8 stuff into spoiler boxes ATM but needless to say, as is typical for these types of shows, the "final reveals and oh yeah, just more questions" doesn't support the world as presented. I'm nervous that s2 will totally fall apart as they try to double down on yet another dozen onion layers of "past mystery" instead of setting up a proper current conflict and let that play out with the characters they have. And how in THE HELL is Hugh Howley not credited in this? There is FAR more "Wool/Dust" (the source for the show Silo) in this than Fallout, I think Nolan owes Hugh a big fat check for story ideas.

Even the geography is sloppy. They go from harsh desert to scrubland to almost swamp to forest with no rhyme or reason, the proximity of these vaults with the cities is nebulous at best, yet characters CONSTANTLY encounter each other seemingly at random. It makes the world feel really small and disjointed.

Still, its a fun romp, powered almost entirely on Goggin's drawl and Elle's enormous batty eyes. I actually have hope for WH40k space marines after seeing that powered armor squad in action, there is a bit of a fuzzy filter on all of it but it worked.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Finished it last night.

It was good. Not that invested to tear it down for its mistakes or inconsistencies. I'll leave that to the YouTube Grifters. Looking forward to S2.

Hardensoul

See, I disagree with you there. The world building in this is straight up 100% mystery box horseshit. Almost none of it works looking backwards. I'm too tired to put a lot of ep8 stuff into spoiler boxes ATM but needless to say, as is typical for these types of shows, the "final reveals and oh yeah, just more questions" doesn't support the world as presented. I'm nervous that s2 will totally fall apart as they try to double down on yet another dozen onion layers of "past mystery" instead of setting up a proper current conflict and let that play out with the characters they have. And how in THE HELL is Hugh Howley not credited in this? There is FAR more "Wool/Dust" (the source for the show Silo) in this than Fallout, I think Nolan owes Hugh a big fat check for story ideas.

Even the geography is sloppy. They go from harsh desert to scrubland to almost swamp to forest with no rhyme or reason, the proximity of these vaults with the cities is nebulous at best, yet characters CONSTANTLY encounter each other seemingly at random. It makes the world feel really small and disjointed.

Still, it’s a fun romp, powered almost entirely on Goggin's drawl and Elle's enormous batty eyes. I actually have hope for WH40k space marines after seeing that powered armor squad in action, there is a bit of a fuzzy filter on all of it but it worked.
You are saying what I’ve tried to say! The reveal of vault 31-32-33 relations really makes episode 1 look so bad.

Moldaver’s motivations/plans invading vault 33 is just dumb. Putting her best friends kids in danger. To kidnapping Hank with no plan afterwards! She’s a villain they want us to sympathize with!

But there was still good stuff to maybe check out S2.

Still, its a fun romp, powered almost entirely on Goggin's drawl and Elle's enormous batty eyes. I actually have hope for WH40k space marines after seeing that powered armor squad in action, there is a bit of a fuzzy filter on all of it but it worked.

Okay - maybe world building was the wrong term? Yes the world felt disjointed, which goes along with my pacing issues. what i was referring to that i liked was just the realized design and art direction of the world. It felt like Fallout. It coulda been just any old dystopian and post apocalyptic setting, but they did a good job feeling unique and interesting which plays a big part into why this show is entertaining at all. It makes up for much of the garbage the show exhibits.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Timothy Cain likes it.

Tim, please, give us an Arcanum 2, maybe a Fallout reboot, or something. Thanks. The show is abysmal. Don't tell people what to like and whatfuck. It's a fucking steaming pile of shit. So gargantuan pile of shit there are no words for it, really. And all the bubble living zombies saying with frothed mouth: it is so goood, yeahhh, very much like, I be installin Fallout 1-2-3-4-5-76-Starfield now and playing all of dem rite now.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I finished the series and it's an A- to me.

Thinking back, I think most of the complaints about Maximus, including his odd choices of dialogue and decisions, wouldn't be as big of a deal if the character was 18 or 19 years old or something. Most of what he says and does speaks to a guy who has arrested development and thus is very kid-like in nature.

The problem is that it's much harder to believe these things, when he has lived in a wasteland for much longer than that and is played by an actor in his 30s who looks late 30s.

Someone with more of a baby face, similar to the actor from Stranger Things, could have been a better fit.

oWEbY2lzVf49wB6tlpjBbKyVRD94Rl6efVoHhFoHFtmAOLYEDdkKWsS1439zV5E6WKsryNE9kw=s900-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj

Hopefully they do a better job of explaining his character beyond the one 'walking out of fridge' scene, when season 2 arrives.

I agree that a younger actor very likely would have led me to give the character more slack during the early episodes.

Still, the actor, Aaron Moten, really sold me during episode 6. I think you hit the nail on the head that this character is struck with some hefty arrested development that was likely incurred when he was in his late teens, yet he still has a hell of a radar for detecting danger.

Speaking of episode 6, I like that they held off on the inevitable "connective tissue" episode that practically all shows have these days. Though the breather they took to fill out Cooper / The Ghoul's backstory may have lasted a bit longer than would be ideal for me.

That music when Lucy reveals the NCR flag, yes

FireFly

Tim, please, give us an Arcanum 2, maybe a Fallout reboot, or something. Thanks. The show is abysmal. Don't tell people what to like and whatfuck. It's a fucking steaming pile of shit. So gargantuan pile of shit there are no words for it, really. And all the bubble living zombies saying with frothed mouth: it is so goood, yeahhh, very much like, I be installin Fallout 1-2-3-4-5-76-Starfield now and playing all of dem rite now.
Where does Tim tell people what to like?

Edit: Thank god the sympathy emoji exists, for those not capable of having an actual discussion.

Last edited:
I agree that a younger actor very likely would have led me to give the character more slack during the early episodes.

Still, the actor, Aaron Moten, really sold me during episode 6. I think you hit the nail on the head that this character is struck with some hefty arrested development that was likely incurred when he was in his late teens, yet he still has a hell of a radar for detecting danger.
Agreed, and I think his character will go over many people's heads (and already has from seeing this thread and other social media), because you don't normally see something like this portrayed in media for a character this old.

I literally left this show thinking Maximus is the archetype of a shonen anime protagonist or deuteragonist, and that type of guy is extremely hard to translate for an American western-centric casual live action audience, especially in a property like Fallout where it would throw people off even more because there is no Fallout anime to draw from.

I think the actor played the character well, but I think what failed him was the writing for his backstory. They didn't show enough of his teen years to convince the majority audience that he would be the way he is, for that long of a time, in a wasteland setting. We need to eventually see it.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I literally left this show thinking Maximus is the archetype of a shonen anime protagonist or deuteragonist, and that type of guy is extremely hard to translate for an American western-centric casual live action audience, especially in a property like Fallout where it would throw people off even more because there is no Fallout anime to draw from.

I typically refer to Little John from the various Robin Hood tales to explain to people how a typical deuteragonist functions in Western stories. Even Lady Marian.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Agreed, and I think his character will go over many people's heads (and already has from seeing this thread and other social media), because you don't normally see something like this portrayed in media for a character this old.

I think the actor played the character well, but I think what failed him was the writing for his backstory. They didn't show enough of his teen years to convince the majority audience that he would be the way he is, for that long of a time, in a wasteland setting. We need to eventually see it.
Agreed, the actor can play "stuff going on behind his eyes" eeriely well, I liked him a lot (direct drop in for Jonathon Majors as Kang, Marvell give him a holla!) but WOW, they really dumped him with the dialogue. The idea that a mid 20s guy in a mixed sex military unit somehow thinks "it swells like pimple and then pops" is FUCKING LUDICROUS. Anyone who has spent about 5 minutes in an infantry unit knows those fuckers are dirty dirty dirty. Bad enough to have some chick play like she is a dude or whatever they were going for with that character as his friend, but his naïveness about some things but shrewd judge of character elsewhere are at odds. Kinda like the other squire who is super knowledgeable about some stuff but then falls for the OBVIOUS snake oil injection. This stuff is just sloppy writing.

but his naïveness about some things but shrewd judge of character elsewhere are at odds. Kinda like the other squire who is super knowledgeable about some stuff but then falls for the OBVIOUS snake oil injection.
And this is the issue, because in an anime I could fully buy into this type of narrative storytelling. In an anime, you can get away with the fact that this odd-mixture of 'naive about relationships and sex, but not naive about combat and danger' character exists.

Video game storylines can sometimes blur the lines between otherworldly narratives of anime and grounded narratives of live action, but it's much harder to believe such a thing when it comes from a western property with zero anime attached to it's name.

jason10mm

Gold Member
And this is the issue, because in an anime I could fully buy into this type of narrative storytelling. In an anime, you can get away with the fact that this odd-mixture of 'naive about relationships and sex, but not naive about combat and danger' character exists.

Video game storylines can sometimes blur the lines between otherworldly narratives of anime and grounded narratives of live action, but it's much harder to believe such a thing when it comes from a western property with zero anime attached to it's name.
Yeah, the more and more I think about it, the divergence of what animation can do versus live action is nigh insurmountable. They are two polar opposite mediums in terms of character and narrative pace. There are a few that walk in both worlds, true, but in general they are quite different. Animation falls along video game narration, I think. A Fallout animate series could be "more like" the game I suspect.

Top Bottom