• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout - Series Reviews

I think my least favorite part about the show is how pathetic max is with little to no growth. The show made me hate his character the most. Like by the end of the show I was convinced him getting picked on was justifiable. i thought hed have depth or would slowly turn into this bad ass. Or have a turning point where he snaps… nope just stays a pathetic useless liar.

So dumb how lucy falls for him so quickly too.

Reeks of amazon formulaic budget practices:

Make it rain on aesthetics.
penny pinch on everything else.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

I think my least favorite part about the show is how pathetic max is with little to no growth. The show made me hate his character the most. Like by the end of the show I was convinced him getting picked on was justifiable. i thought hed have depth or would slowly turn into this bad ass. Or have a turning point where he snaps… nope just stays a pathetic useless liar.
I agree to some extent. It feels like Lucy and the Ghoul got full-fledged character arcs within the system, but Maximus's arc is left incomplete. There was some character development but not as much as the other two. I think it can be rounded off in the second season. The least convincing part was everyone just accepting that he killed Moldaver and cheering for him.

I dont think she fully falls for him. She's just enchanted by what she first sees as a literal knight in shining armour.

It only works when showrunners and writers know what they're doing and handle the characters & source material with proper care. It worked for something like The Boys but not for The Rings of Power. So far it seems to be working well for Fallout.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

I think the show is benefiting atleast somewhat from the absolutely low bar set by video game adaptations in general. The Last of Us show being an exception rather than the rule. Amazon also has a mixed reputation because of how bad Rings of Power turned out.

So everyone was expecting this to be shit, including me. It turned out to be kinda good, but because of low expectations, it probably feels really good; better than its objective quality is.

In any case, i enjoyed it enough to want to see more. Expectations from season 2 have increased.

Wildebeest

All three of the main characters are total morons. I think people overlook the fact that the Ghoul is a pathetic idiot as well because he kills people without blinking and talks bullshit like he knows what is going on. If anything, Max is the smartest of the three.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Watched the first episode and half of the second and it's...ok at best?

The maximus character is kinda terrible and it's painful to go through his scenes, is he supposed to be an highly functional retard or something?

The whole boredhood part is pretty retarded aswell, so they chose this skinny 40kg no muscles thing to be a squire that basically consist in running around this huge and heavy bag and when she get injured they give the job to this clearly slow dude that was accused of being a traitor just because he glazed the old man for 10 sec? Holy shit the whole thing was hilariously bad.

The over the top violence and goggins are the only reason why i'm going forward.

For now it feel like a show where turning your brain completely off is a necessary requirement.

Cyberpunkd

All three of the main characters are total morons. I think people overlook the fact that the Ghoul is a pathetic idiot as well because he kills people without blinking and talks bullshit like he knows what is going on. If anything, Max is the smartest of the three.
Yup. Lucy is just hopeless vault dweller, Ghoul is mostly just a jerk without thinking how he can potentially use his companions to better purpose than selling them for drugs.

Max knows the real world.

Von Hugh

Lol you are trying waaay to hard to defend bad writing.

The joke is that she's a whore.otherwise she simply would not say those things, just like real people don't either In real life. This is also vaults designed around 50s values. The whole point of vault dwellers is that they are disgustingly innocent as the show tries to imply many times throughout the narrative, but she's willing to fuck everything she sees apparently, even her cousin, which we reference multiple times because apparently it's so hilarious.

Just because "his friend says it" doesn't mean it's now not a line spoken in a real life tv show for the lols

Of the idea is to portray these characters as ignorant or cavalier about sex, there is 1000 ways to write those lines that doesn't sound like an adolescent 16 year old.

I'm sorry it's bad writing, hence why probably a couple of teens found any of those lines funny.

If you think it's good writing then I'd suggest watching more grown up shows.

What is this incel crap?

Marlenus

It is an incredibly important thing to get wrong and change. It would be akin to saying the Empire was Defeated in The Clone Wars or that Skynet was launched in 1970. It completely shifts and changes the narrative and timeline of the entire franchise.

Tim Cain makes the very important point that we don't know if that timeline shown is actually true. Entirely possible that people are being lied to for some unknown reason.

Fbh

Finished it over the weekend.
I really enjoyed it, Lucy and the Ghoul are both great, the production values are mostly fantastic and I really liked the overall tone.
The writing does have a few odd moments and inconsistencies but overall I don't really think it detracted too much from the experience. I'm not very familiar with Fallout (only played 3 back when it came out) but it always seemed more about the weird and interesting stuff you encounter along the way than the actual main story, and I think this show captures that fairly well.

Agreed with others on Maximus though. I didn't really like his character or story. Hopefully they can do more with him next season, but it will be hard with the way things ended. Now we have Lucy and the Ghoul, the 2 characters most people seemed to have liked, traveling together. It's going to be even harder to care for the Maximus scenes

Buggy Loop

This just dropped

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I just finished the final episode. So good. Lucy's and the Ghoul's stories ended so great. Cannot wait for season 2. 5/5, easily the best video game adaptation ever.

Edit: I am also interested on seeing how Maximus is going to deal with his new situation

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

This guy is a moron, mate. You really need to stop watching reactionaries and focus on actual fans who give measured takes without delving into near blatant racism. I suggest folks like oxhorn.
I posts his videos mainly for fun but if someone has a breakdown how he's mostly wrong about the Fallout retcons, changes and "disrespect" I'd be happy to see it.

Last edited:

DKehoe

I posts his videos mainly for fun but if someone has a breakdown how he's mostly wrong about the Fallout retcons, changes and "disrespect" I'd be happy to see it.
Here's a bit from his last video on the show where he criticises it for "promoting race mixing."

People can criticise the show for all kinds of reasons but I don't see how that isn't a huge red flag that the guy is a moron who shouldn't be listened to.

What do you find fun about his videos?

Ulysses 31

Here's a bit from his last video on the show where he criticises it for "promoting race mixing."

People can criticise the show for all kinds of reasons but I don't see how that isn't a huge red flag that the guy is a moron who shouldn't be listened to.

What do you find fun about his videos?

He can be of the opinion that because of DEI and wokesters at Amazon, we see more race mixing than statically probable based on the eras the games are based on.

I chuckle at the insults he hurls at the show creators, Bethesda and Todd Howard. Personally the most interesting for me is pointing out how the show is incongruent with lore/canon from the games and second, the "bad writing"(in his view) parts of the show.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Watched the first episode and half of the second and it's...ok at best?

The maximus character is kinda terrible and it's painful to go through his scenes, is he supposed to be an highly functional retard or something?

The whole boredhood part is pretty retarded aswell, so they chose this skinny 40kg no muscles thing to be a squire that basically consist in running around this huge and heavy bag and when she get injured they give the job to this clearly slow dude that was accused of being a traitor just because he glazed the old man for 10 sec? Holy shit the whole thing was hilariously bad.

The over the top violence and goggins are the only reason why i'm going forward.

For now it feel like a show where turning your brain completely off is a necessary requirement.

Maximus is a terrible terrible character.

Thaddeus (his squire) is actually much more likable and all round better. I hope he shows up in season 2, he was great.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

He can be of the opinion that because of DEI and wokesters at Amazon, we see more race mixing than statically probable based on the eras the games are based on.

The game is set in an alternate future timeline, it's not actually based in the 50s.

The video you've posted is dumb, you shouldn't need to defend it.

Last edited:

Katatonic

Show started off good but I couldn't keep me watching past ep.3. Just another weightless show at the end of the day.

JackMcGunns

Don't force it if you don't like it, but the main storyline kinda starts on episode 4 and runs through 8.

I wasn't crazy about the first episode; felt all over the place, but thanfully episode 2 was much better and 3 improved further, but now just got to episode 4 and I think I see where this is going, if I'm correct, all hell is about to break loose.

Maximus is a terrible terrible character.

Thaddeus (his squire) is actually much more likable and all round better. I hope he shows up in season 2, he was great.
he'll definitely come back. unsure if it'll be as a cameo, a one eps side story, or even a season long/ half season long arc as a miniboss/villain.

jason10mm

Gold Member
How does your species survive for 218+ years if everyone around you is somehow related?
The casting of folks in vault 33 does undercut this premise quite a bit, even if you try to account for
periodic "injections" of pre war vault 31 folks, 2 of the 3 KNOWN vault 31 people we see are white (3/4 if you count Buds brain)
. Even the Hollywood alt-50s was ridiculously high in black people, back then I think it was way less than 5% of the population. Where are all the Hispanics and Asians? It's that lopsided over representation that kinda pushes on "woke" versus some sort of organic diversity.

Regardless, it's just the way casting is done these days. They were casual with divorce in the flashbacks as well, that was a hard thing to get in the 50s, implying that Goggins either cheats or catches his wife cheating, rather than the plethora of "no fault" divorces we have today. So not really doing ANYTHING with the 50s supposed setting other than some dress cues, the TV, and the nebulous "reds".

Dutchy

How does your species survive for 218+ years if everyone around you is somehow related?
i think a world without humans is better than an inbred one.

also i didnt know everyone in a vault were related to each other.

are we trying to justify incest here? im confused

JackMcGunns

i think a world without humans is better than an inbred one.

also i didnt know everyone in a vault were related to each other.

are we trying to justify incest here? im confused

Dude, it's a fantasy scenario, I'm not normalizing it. People in prison do weird things too, acknowleging the existence doesn't mean I'm justifying it, get out of here with that logic.

Dutchy

Dude, it's a fantasy scenario, I'm not normalizing it. People in prison do weird things too, acknowleging the existence doesn't mean I'm justifying it, get out of here with that logic.
i responded to a guy who literally said he'd fuck his cousin in the same scenario. why are you mad?

edit: are people in prisons related too???

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

i responded to a guy who literally said he'd fuck his cousin in the same scenario. why are you mad?

edit: are people in prisons related too???

I mean, I don't know if he was kidding or not, but that's not what I'm responding to anyway. I was merely pointing out that being locked up somewhere can change people, especially if the survival of your race depends on it, and I didn't say cousins either, I said humanity condensed to a small area means someone is bound to be related somehow. Just chill.

Dutchy

I mean, I don't know if he was kidding or not, but that's not what I'm responding to anyway.
you literally responded to my ''what'' which was a response to a guy who said he'd fuck his cousin in a similar scenario.

sometimes when you make yourself look dumb you just gotta roll with the punches cause every follow-up attempt to make it look better will only do the opposite

JackMcGunns

you literally responded to my ''what'' which was a response to a guy who said he'd fuck his cousin in a similar scenario.

sometimes when you make yourself look dumb you just gotta roll with the punches cause every follow-up attempt to make it look better will only do the opposite

Yes, I responded to you because you seemed to be shocked and I simply posed a question with a hypothecial post apocalyptic scenario. It's ok to have a conversation about it, doesn't mean anyone is condoning the bahaviour. Jesus H Christ on a bike.

Dutchy

doesn't mean anyone is condoning the bahaviour.
except the guy i replied to ☠️

are you sure you're not a closeted family enjoyer? this seems like a whole lot of trouble to overanalyze and defend an asinine statement from someone you don't know

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

except the guy i replied to ☠️

are you sure you're not a closeted family enjoyer? this seems like a whole lot of trouble to overanalyze and defend an asinine statement from someone you don't know

Dude, you're crossing a line here. Cut it out. Are you capable of having a separate conversation? If you're really offended by what the dude said, first ask if he's joking, I took it as a joke, you need to lighten up, and even assuming he's serious, then it's still on him. What is your deal?

He based this on ~3 interracial couples in a series where the majority amount of couples in the background of multiple locations(both vaults and cooper flashback scenes) were of similar race?

Wouldn’t that be statistically probable?

Top Bottom