• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Families of Newtown SchoolShooting Victims Split $1.5M From Estate of Gunman's Mother

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/newtown-families-split-15m-estate-gunmans-mother-35905595
The families of more than a dozen victims of the 2012 school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, will split $1.5 million under recently finalized settlements of lawsuits against the gunman's mother's estate.

The lawsuits said Nancy Lanza failed to properly secure her legally owned Bushmaster AR-15 rifle. Her son, Adam Lanza, used the rifle to kill 20 first-graders and six educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14, 2012. He killed his mother before the school shooting and killed himself afterward.

The families of 16 people who were killed will split $1.5 million from Nancy Lanza's homeowner's insurance.

Victims' families also are suing the maker of the Bushmaster rifle.

Sue the makers of the rifle? That's fucking stupid

The system as it stands in the US just shrugs at shooting victims and says "eh, shit happens". Good on the families to try to do something about it, in whatever limited capacity the system lets them do it.

Xexros

Banned
The system as it stands in the US just shrugs at shooting victims and says "eh, shit happens". Good on the families to try to do something about it, in whatever limited capacity the system lets them do it.

Do something about it? There is no logic behind it. And they won't win. Because it makes absolutely 0 sense

sikkinixx

Sue the makers of the rifle? That's fucking stupid

Sue the people who make ammo. And the store that sold the gun. And the trucking company that shipped the gun. And the mine that processed the metal that was used to make the gun.

As for suing her estate, if she didn't lock up the guns properly then it makes some sense?

HariKari

They won't win. It's a total waste. Plenty of precedent.

Do something about it? There is no logic behind it. And they won't win. Because it makes absolutely 0 sense

Like I said, they can't do much within the confines of a system that very obviously favors the pro-gun status quo, so they're left with doing stuff that "doesn't make sense".

They won't win. It's a total waste. Plenty of precedent.

I'm sure they'd be content sitting down and shutting up after having to endure what they did.

HeySeuss

uh, shouldn't that money go to the lanza family?

It was probably a settlement for the wrongful death civil case. A shame really because divided up, that's a pittance for the loss of a child.

Except it was all a hoax to take our guns away.
I don't actually believe that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom