• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newtown victims' families sue maker of gun used by Adam Lanza in 2012 attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oppo

personally I think all autos and semi autos should be banned or at least, special permit. but I am Canadian and enjoy the safety this provides me. no machine gun has a valid place in public society.

I get why they are going after the gun.

remember the NRA just shot down an anti ivory bill with 99% support because they love their ivory handgrips too much. these people are reprehensible. so I would support practically any legal angle of attack against such people.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Your example is 100% irrelevant in this case. They are arguing that the AR-15 had no reasonable purpose. "Many ordinary items" have reasonable purposes. Other guns have reasonable purposes. They are attempting to make the argument that the AR-15 serves no reasonable purpose.

I think they clearly have a point and grounds to sue but whether or not they win or not is another story.
I think they'd have a better argument arguing against the handguns. Those have even less utility for hunting, and are designed to be easily concealable. The overwhelming majority of firearm homicides in the US are committed with handguns and not rifles.

The assault rifle ban was feel-good legislation that didn't actually do much good. They would be better off increasing the budged for mental health care and awareness, as far as spree shooting prevention goes. They are horrific and highly publicized, but thankfully rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom