• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate Democrats filibustering in push for stricter gun control laws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Votes would be held on whether to ban people on the government's terrorist watch list from obtaining gun licenses and whether to expand background checks to gun shows and internet sales, he added

I agree with both of these. Just need to add due process to the terror watchlist in order to do things by the book. Background checks is a no brainer and in no way compromises anyone's ability to own a gun if they're qualified.

Daria

Jesus Christ. It better not be the bullshit watchlist. Good job ruining a fillibuster, dems. If they don't get the background checks vote, a purely symbolic victory.

They receive the go ahead to start voting and we're still complaining? Christ, this is America, of-fucking-course were not going to get an automatic weapon ban 3 days after a massacre with the GOP. The list is garbage, yes, but this is the beginning to something much larger in the upcoming months. I mean, unless you want people to continue getting murdered then I guess we can just take the votes back.

They receive the go ahead to start voting and we're still complaining? Christ, this is America, of-fucking-course were not going to get an automatic weapon ban 3 days after a massacre with the GOP. The list is garbage, yes, but this is the beginning to something much larger in the upcoming months. I mean, unless you want people to continue getting murdered then I guess we can just take the votes back.

To quote Emmett R:
I'm not condemning Senate Ds for loudly protesting for a hopeless cause--I do that too--but if you're going to do it, advocate good policy.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ. It better not be the bullshit watchlist. Good job ruining a fillibuster, dems. If they don't get the background checks vote, a purely symbolic victory.

Democrats aren't doing this if it doesn't get rid of the gunshow loophole along the way. They've been arguing a lot that it's pointless to ban people on the watchlist from getting guns if they can just go to a gunshow and get one anyway.

That would enforce some of the other laws already on the books like felons not being allowed guns, instead of the current way of "non-professional" gun sellers not having to check anything at all.

Arkeband

Banned
GAF's ads never fail.

Xj9mDQn.jpg

Link

The Autumn Wind
So when is this vote?
Monday.

And if I'm being honest, I think this vote is just a play by Democrats. Make the most basic, common sense bill and watch as it still fails because all the Republicans vote against it . Then use it against them in November.

Democrats aren't doing this if it doesn't get rid of the gunshow loophole along the way. They've been arguing a lot that it's pointless to ban people on the watchlist from getting guns if they can just go to a gunshow and get one anyway.

That would enforce some of the other laws already on the books like felons not being allowed guns, instead of the current way of "non-professional" gun sellers not having to check anything at all.

good good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom