• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

48 people were shot [in the US] during yesterday’s 15-hour filibuster on gun control

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one in Grand Forks, ND was a suicidal guy in his hotel room who shot the floor (and once out into the then-nearly-empty parking lot) a few times and then had a standoff with police from about 8AM until 1PM. Nobody was hurt and the guy was just taken to the hospital to be observed/watched/however you want to phrase it. He'll likely be charged with a few things, but nothing major.

It's obviously a gun-related incident, but I don't think it is appropriate to put that up with the people actually injured and/or killed.

DarkKyo

Ive turned over both of my guns to local law enforcement over the last year. I ate the cost of purchasing them to get them out of my house. I didnt want them anymore, and dont care to have any association with them. This shit needs to stop.

Wow! Good on you, man! I wish more people had such a transformative mindset/epiphany.

MJPIA

.0.png
Why am I not surprised about Chicago?
Or as heyjackass.com shot clock puts it.
2016_shot_clock.png

Just stay away from certain areas there and you should be fine.

Gunviolencearchive where vox got the numbers from has a interesting interactive countrywide map that shows shootings for the last 72 hours that you can zoom in and see where the individual incidents were at.
http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/query/1e1fc646-a270-420e-8b41-3f497794831f/map
xzJHfzb.png

Wow I had no idea there were so many gun related injuries/deaths in the US. I think one shooting in a month is considered high profile news in Canada.

jett

D-Member
15 hours to force just a vote on the most basic of gun control needs. Unbelievable. I applaud this man's tenacity.

Ophelion

How about we look at mental illness too.

Yeah, you know what, how about it? If Republicans hadn't completely crippled the government mental health facilities we had in the 80's, maybe we could even come close to addressing that. Maybe if Americans were open to talking about mental health in some way that was more sophisticated than the psychological equivalent of "rub some dirt in it and walk it off", maybe we could do something about that.

Maybe if this was more than just a bullshit deflection, maybe we could look into mental illness too.

For all people on the right like to talk about mental illness whenever gun violence comes up, I sure don't see a lot of these people actually doing anything about that. Where are the bills coming out of the Republican controlled senate to address mental health problems in America? Where's the funding for mental health programs? The initiative for better education? Oh, we're not going to do any of that? Well, it can't be that endemic to this problem that is resulting in the cold blooded murder of the citizenry if you're willing to do precisely dick. On the other hand, guns are a physical thing that everyone in the country is willing to admit exists even when they are inconvenient. Laws can be written surrounding them. But if we want to just use mental health as a means to effectively say "A wizard did it", well, people can fuck right off with that.

Arials

How does this compare to murders with any weapon in other countries ?

Some murder rates:

South Africa 33.0
Brazil 24.6
Mexico 15.7
Nigeria 10.3
Russia 9.5
Iraq 8.0
Argentina 7.6

Ukraine 4.3
Cuba 4.0
USA 3.9
Iran 3.9
Egypt 3.4

Ghana 1.7
Canada 1.4
France 1.2
United Kingdom 1.0
Australia 1.0
Germany 0.9
Spain 0.7
Poland 0.7
South Korea 0.7
Japan 0.3

The US is significantly worse than other developed nations.

48 out of over 300 million is nothing though, 0.00000016%, so pretty much nothing.

This is crazy.
I'm glad I'm not in US. Living in fear that someone might shoot you is not fun.
That's ridiculous. Unless you live in a shithole area, you wouldn't be afraid of being shot. The US is a huge place. The mass shootings that occurr are terrible, but not very likely to happen to people.

To be fair austrlia would have a much higher murder rate but the animals and plants kills us first before we even get the chance to kill each other.

I was once in a fight to the death in a water park when my enemy was grabbed by a shark but what fibished him off was when the croc ate the shark with my enemy attached.

Dont even get me started on the drop bears. And the flesh eating eucalytps

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
48 out of over 300 million is nothing though, 0.00000016%, so pretty much nothing.

48 people over 15 hours is an unusually low figure, but it still translates to 28K people a year with a bullet in them.

that's hardly nothing.

StarVigil

In a 15 hour time span. And I think, you wouldn't call it "pretty much nothing", if one of your loved ones or you were one of those people.
But you actually make a good point. It's happening so much, that in many people's eyes it's only a statistic. Whenever a plane crashes and people die, this is a national tragedy, but people getting shot every day is "nothing though".
This might sound childish, but once you're dead, there is no coming back. Every one of these persons have families and friends who care. Not to mention, even if you don't get killed, you probably have to deal with paying for getting treatment after getting shot.

I don't mean to insult anyone, but I don't understand how this is considered "normal" or "just the way things are" in a country that calls itself the most powerful country in the world.

We have ten September 11th's every year due to gun violence, but nope it's not a big deal. It's a small price to pay for our freedom. USA! USA! USA$! USA!

Mik2121

48 people over 15 hours is an unusually low figure, but it still translates to 28K people a year with a bullet in them.

that's hardly nothing.
Huh. Yeah, if you only say it's "0.000000016%" of the population it sounds low, but as GaimeGuy said, that's still 28,000 people shot every year. That's way too high no matter the population.

Kozak

Banned
You guys in the US should start giving out more guns to citizens so they can protect themselves from the citizens with guns.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Just FYI:

It's estimated that about 100,000 shootings occur each year in the US, and we know that more than 30K people die each year from gunshot wounds.

So yes, there were fewer shootings than usuaal during the fillibuster.

HeySeuss

Chicago leading the way in gun violence, shows that gun control doesn't work /s

Watch that be the narrative though. Like somehow there's a magical barrier that protects Chicago from any gun violence at all. News flash, there isn't a wall around the city with controlled check points for people going in and out of the city.

This is crazy.
I'm glad I'm not in US. Living in fear that someone might shoot you is not fun.

I'm not anti gun control but I live in the US and this is not a fear people generally walk around with. While random events of mass violence are horrific, they're by far the minority compared to what's going on in a lot of crime ridden areas which is an issue in itself.

xk0sm0sx

Welp all these are just shooting incidents due to personal issues, so they don't COUNT! No one cares even if it's just gangs murdering each other because you know, at least we are not as bad as Africa!

That's 0 mass shooting incidents in the filibuster, hooray!
/s

Blueliner

Banned
There is absolutely zero reason why this can't be looked into as well as better gun control at the same time.

Looked at? It needs to be the focus, as mental health is the source of the problem in mass shootings.

Gun control needs to be enforced, there should be a system in place that would of flagged this guy from buying one, he had been under multiple investigations by the FBI and yet that wasn't notated at all? Failure IMO.

Gallbaro

Banned
Black people in large protest are the only hope. If protests of large groups of black people suddenly happened across the country, specifically in states where open carry is legal, gun control will happen.

This was the actual cause of the first wave of gun control.

Xe4

Banned
Looked at? It needs to be the focus, as mental health is the source of the problem in mass shootings.

Gun control needs to be enforced, there should be a system in place that would of flagged this guy from buying one, he had been under multiple investigations by the FBI and yet that wasn't notated at all? Failure IMO.

No, it's not.

Mass shootings are mostly done due to crime, as it's defined by 4+ people shot. They happen far more often than you would think.

Plus mass shootings aren't the problem. Horrible, yes, but far worse are the dozens of people that die every day because of the proliferation of guns in our society.

Not to mention mental health is the republican scapegoat whenever gun control comes up, ignoring they were the ones who fucked it up in the first place.

If mental health were to come up, I'd love to have reform, as it is awful here. But using it as a knee-jerk reaction to when shootings happen is gross. Hell the asshole Wayne Lapierre disgustingly commented that it was "schizophrenics" that were the problem. He and Republicans have no problems shitting on the mentally ill as long as their guns are safe.

That's ridiculous. Unless you live in a shithole area, you wouldn't be afraid of being shot. The US is a huge place. The mass shootings that occurr are terrible, but not very likely to happen to people.

What does this sentence even mean?

The one in Grand Forks, ND was a suicidal guy in his hotel room who shot the floor (and once out into the then-nearly-empty parking lot) a few times and then had a standoff with police from about 8AM until 1PM. Nobody was hurt and the guy was just taken to the hospital to be observed/watched/however you want to phrase it. He'll likely be charged with a few things, but nothing major.

It's obviously a gun-related incident, but I don't think it is appropriate to put that up with the people actually injured and/or killed.

Seems like all the more reason to put it. A man was welding a gun when he shouldn't have been and shot at people. He could have killed or injured someone just because he was suicidal. When you get a gun license, its not like you can prove you'll never be suicidal later in life.

Everyone in the US should have a gun to prevent these tragedies.

Should we give everyone in Englewood a bazooka to defend themselves since everyone already has a gun there?

Everyone in the US should have a gun to prevent these tragedies.

Should we give everyone in Englewood a bazooka to defend themselves since everyone already has a gun there?

Are you trying to imply that the neighborhoods where guns are the most common are also the ones where gun violence is the most common, and they do not in fact seem to be reducing the number of violent crimes in those neighborhoods despite wide proliferation?

That's patently absurd, sir. These individuals are clearly problematic because they're illegal gun owners. If you want to see a paradise of legal guns, you need look no further than Florida's panhandle, where gun violence is only a problem if you include people being shot by their dogs, ovens, and as a result of arguments over cheeseburgers.

ironbearxl

Neo Member
Maybe the individual states could ban the sale of bullets, period? You'll still have the right to bear arms of course, just can't buy any bullets.

Magni

Why not? Just because he was lucky enough to not kill or injure anyone doesn't make it any less serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom