• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate Democrats filibustering in push for stricter gun control laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

Senate Democrats say they are bringing Senate business to a halt in an effort to force some action on gun control.

Sen. Chris Murphy, of Connecticut, said on Twitter that he was prepared to "talk about the need to prevent gun violence for as long as I can."

"For those of us that represent Connecticut, the failure of this body to do anything, anything at all in the face of that continued slaughter isn't just painful to us, it's unconscionable," Murphy said, referencing the shootings at an elementary school in Newtown Connecticut. "I can't tell you how hard it is to look into the eyes of the family of those little boys and girls who were killed in Sandy Hook and tell them that almost four years later, we have done nothing, nothing, at all to reduce the likelihood that that will happen again to another family."

NPR's Muthoni Muturi tells us that fellow Democrats have joined Murphy and are now signing up for speaking slots as late as 10:30 p.m. ET. That means this delay, may go on for a while.

Source: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ld-floor-indefinitely-in-push-for-gun-control

Live video of filibuster in action: http://www.nbcnews.com/video/watch-live-senate-dems-hold-filibuster-578880067504

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna hold up what little work the Senate can actually do in this Congress on an issue that will never get pushed this cycle.

Good for those Senators looking to get re-elected this year I guess.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Filibustering until November is going to be quite a feat. I am thankful that at least we are doing something even if ultimately meaningless.

loki 16

Every time republicans filibuster gun control and nothing gets done. It's about time the democrats grow a pair and do something.

Paz

If ever there was proof that the current climate has become a mundane reality that people accept, it is the posts in this thread.

Fuck I'm glad it never came to this in my country, zero judgement from me friends, just a bit of sadness at watching the way things have solidified within my lifetime.

Zoe

Got confused by the title since that's usually the opposite of what a filibuster is trying to do.

So what will trigger the end of the filibuster?

commedieu

Banned
Filibustering until November is going to be quite a feat. I am thankful that at least we are doing something even if ultimately meaningless.

I have to agree. I'm upset at the lack of progress because its so simple to just have common sense laws. But, our country has proven to be utterly broken when it comes to gun control. Any Effort is better than nothing at this point.

Got confused by the title since that's usually the opposite of what a filibuster is trying to do.

Sitting down iirc?

It's not really a "filibuster", as they aren't doing it to stop a specific piece of legislation from being passed. They're mainly just holding up official business as a sign of protest.

There is no goal (i.e. bill in question), unless the associated media attention and focus on Senate inaction counts.

Not

Banned
No worthier cause at the moment. This is a way to directly save the lives of our citizens on a mass scale. Best of luck, Dems.

commedieu

Banned
I mean from the Democrat perspective. At what point have they achieved their goal?

I think its a human perspective at this point. The NRA/Gun Manufacturers controls our government, what else can realistically be done besides trial and error efforts at this point?

This is an effort that needs to happen.

What do you mean?

The current makeup of the Senate has absolutely no interest in accomplishing anything. They're not confirming appointments. They won't pass bills that the president will sign. They will be lucky if they even pass a budget. McConnell is keeping the Senate open to prevent Obama from making recess appointments and to pass non-controversial bills.

Amazingly, Democrats today might accomplish more using a tactic designed to block progress than the entire 114th Congress has up to this point.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
gTOAcMT.jpg

Drakeon

Gonna hold up what little work the Senate can actually do in this Congress on an issue that will never get pushed this cycle.

Lol, you act like the Senate isnt historically unproductive. They aren't getting any work done whether or not they filibuster, might as well draw attention to the Republican senators who refuse to do nothing.

Xe4

Banned
Good, I'm glad. As long as it doesn't hold up debt ceiling talks or something of that nature I'm fine with it. Not that I think Dems are dumb enough to do that, but still. I'm glad some are finally applying the pressure, though little will happen.

Both parties are the same tho...

Pretty much. But hey, to be fair Republicans been holding shit up for 8 fucking years.

Good on Senate Democrats. It's mostly just a gesture, but definitely an appreciated one.

Funnily enough I got an ad on NRA ad on this thread telling me I get a free duffel bag if I join up.

On MSNBC they had results of a poll from Virginia showing Democrats, Independents and Republicans all agreed on the measures the filibuster is asking. Even Trump says he is going to talk to NRA about banning people on the terrorist watchlist from getting guns. NRA said "we are not budging."

Fuck the NRA.

In case you're wondering if any Republicans are involved in this ... yes, one. Pat Toomey from Pennsylvania. He's up for re-election this year.

On MSNBC they had results of a poll from Virginia showing Democrats, Independents and Republicans all agreed on the measures the filibuster is asking. Even Trump says he is going to talk to NRA about banning people on the terrorist watchlist from getting guns. NRA said "we are not budging."

Fuck the NRA.

I dont claim to be a CEO or anything, but it seems like the risk/reward of protecting terrorists gun rights after the worst shooting massacre in the history of the country is kind of a bad idea. Even some Fox News people are coming out in favor of gun control.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Thanks for the link with the phone number Technomancer. Even though the senator from my state they connected me to is an obstructionist republican it felt productive in a way to call and leave a message of my support.

would be so great if everyone who has issues with NRA and the ease of getting a fire arm could donate a few dollars a month into an organization that goes behind the NRA and cuts fat checks to these congressmen and senators. Sure maybe a few truly believe in all he crap about guns they spread but not nearly as many than pretending to be for the re-election funds.

If the NRA fights dirty through buying politicians maybe it's time for us to do the same.

Fuck the NRA.

I mean yes it's not a question whether a good majority of americans back tougher background checks and things like banning gun sales from people on certain watch lists.

57% of Americans were polled to back a re-ban of assault rifles.

I believe after sandy hook a majority of NRA members polled backed tougher background checks. This is how fucked the NRA as an organization has become.

TyrantII

I mean from the Democrat perspective. At what point have they achieved their goal?

When everyone is reminded that the GOP and McConnel refuses to even hear common sense gun regulation legislation.

Make them own supporting assault weapons. Especially in an election year.

If nothing else, I'm sure victims families appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom