• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate halts Democrats plan on guns, terror suspects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ophelion

Yep, because the Constitution is quite clear on this subject.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Remember that one?

Because the constitution is a perfect holy document given to us by God himself and we have never once amended it.

Oh, wait...

jerry113

Banned

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Remember that one?

Amendments can be amended. There is precedent.

jerry113

Banned
they'd just regret not having enough guns in the room to defend against the attackers and double down vowing to arm everyone or something

If a few dozen little kids getting gunned down at school don't get people enraged enough, no one's going to give a shit about some politicians.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I have a serious problem with using the no-fly list for preventing gun ownership, considering the unconstitutional and overzealous nature of that list. Then again that may have set into motion a supreme court challenge to it.

It's unfortunate that was grouped with the other proposals.
It wasn't. They were separate bills.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Second amendment doesn't even need to be touched, just properly interpreted. This is why the SC is so important.

Piggus

Second amendment doesn't even need to be touched, just properly interpreted. This is why the SC is so important.

Do you actually think that a liberal supreme court is going to interpret it in such a way that heavily restricts access to guns?

Scum

23374838385_7030369a3d_o.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
...so what exactly is the standard for being on the no-fly or "watch-list?" If there's no standard to be put on the list other than someone arbitrarily puts you on it, it doesn't even sound constitutional to ban people on those lists from purchasing firearms.

Slime

Banned
Well, if the blood of dead children on their hands didn't grow them a conscience, I can't say I'm surprised an attack on a community they actively hate didn't either.

Piggus

...so what exactly is the standard for being on the no-fly or "watch-list?" If there's no standard to be put on the list other than someone arbitrarily puts you on it, it doesn't even sound constitutional to ban people on those lists from purchasing firearms.

It's probably similar to how we "randomly" screen passengers at airports. This bill needs to pass, but it needs to have a better foundation first.

Who said anything about heavy restrictions?

Most of Gaf seems to feel that the "proper" interpretation of the 2A is that the average citizen is not part of a well-regulated militia and therefore should not be allowed to own guns.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's probably similar to how we "randomly" screen passengers at airports. This bill needs to pass, but it needs to have a better foundation first.

That's different because random screening in various situations is legal because it is random. The fact that it is not, in fact, actually random is actually a different matter altogether.

FStubbs

Most of Gaf seems to feel that the "proper" interpretation of the 2A is that the average citizen is not part of a well-regulated militia and therefore should not be allowed to own guns.

I'd settle for the "well-regulated" part at this point but the NRA doesn't even want that.

Maybe we need black people to buy guns en-masse. That would get them moving.

Risette

A Good Citizen
That's never going to happen.

Sensible restrictions ("well-regulated") could though. That's what I'm hopeful for.

Measley

Remember that one?

You do know that we banned machine guns back in the 80s right? We banned them so that lone gunmen can't kill hundreds of people.

If you notice, these killers aren't using machine guns. Now imagine if assault rifles were also banned.

Piggus

I'd settle for the "well-regulated" part at this point but the NRA doesn't even want that.

Maybe we need black people to buy guns en-masse. That would get them moving.

The NRA doesn't care who buys guns as long as their clients (IE gun manufacturers) are making money. They'll start caring when current NRA members get sick of their BS and stop paying their dues. And while many gun owners want reform, I doubt most are aware that the NRA is no longer about protecting individual rights.

That's never going to happen.

Sensible restrictions ("well-regulated") could though. That's what I'm hopeful for.

Agreed. Apologies for lumping you in with the majority. :p

epmode

Feeling pretty hopeless right about now. ..not that I'm surprised when the same thing happened after Sandy Hook.

Piggus

You do know that we banned machine guns back in the 80s right? We banned them so that lone gunmen can't kill hundreds of people.

If you notice, these killers aren't using machine guns. Now imagine if assault rifles were also banned.

Machine guns have been RESTRICTED since the 1934 NFA act. Since then there have only been two known cases of a person using a legally registered machine gun to murder someone. There have been no mass shootings with one.

Machine guns manufactured after the 1986 NFA act cannot be sold to civilians, but a civilian can still buy one made before then if they have the money. Demand has pushed prices up past $20,000 for a registered M16, for example. But even before prices were crazy, people simply were not using them in crimes. Why would they? The process for getting one wasn't difficult per say, but it was long and hard enough to deter would-be criminals. The legislation that "banned" them is an example of legislation designed to fix a problem that didn't exist in the first place, and there's a real effort to reverse it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom