• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate halts Democrats plan on guns, terror suspects

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyrantII

http://bigstory.ap.org/cb27155a4ec24e71ae17f7a61506e500

The Senate has voted to stop legislation that would have closed the gun show loophole and expanded background checks.

The measure was sponsored by Democratic Sen. Chris Murphy of Connecticut, who waged a nearly 15-hour filibuster last week to push for votes after the massacre in Orlando, Florida.

The vote Monday was 44-56. It fell 16 short of the 60 necessary for the Senate to move ahead on the legislation.

Murphy's proposal would have widely expanded the requirement for background checks, even to many private gun transactions, leaving few loopholes.

___

6 p.m.

The Senate has blocked a bill to bolster background checks as votes on gun control got underway in the Senate.

The vote Monday was 53-47 — seven short of the 60 needed for the Senate to move ahead on the Republican-led measure.

The vote was largely along party lines.

More at the link

Edit: link to votes

Krakn3Dfx

Republicans continue to hate terrorists, just not as much as they love corporate contributions from gun makers.

Edit: They're not even supporting their base's wishes when it comes to guns anymore it looks like:

Clbdt-gVEAIEGar.jpg:large

Ri'Orius

Republicans continue to hate terrorists, just not as much as they love corporate contributions from gun makers.

To be clear, I believe what's happening here is that the Republicans have their own gun control bills that the Democrats are blocking as well as vice-versa. So it's not just "lol more guns;" the GOP is proposing some measures that the Democrats don't think go far enough.

To be clear, I believe what's happening here is that the Republicans have their own gun control bills that the Democrats are blocking as well as vice-versa. So it's not just "lol more guns;" the GOP is proposing some measures that the Democrats don't think go far enough.

The Republican proposals failed too. The Senate overall only even considered any of these after a long filibuster. If they had their way, there would not have been a vote on anything at all.

Link

The Autumn Wind
The Republican proposals failed too. The Senate overall only even considered any of these after a long filibuster. If they had their way, there would not have been a vote on anything at all.
Exactly. It may not seem like it, but this is a win for Democrats. It sets up November.

Sober

I feel like at this point you need like 3 seasons of all episodes of NCIS where each week the killer uses a gun they bought at a gun show or something to commit murder and constantly get away with the crime and the heroes can't track that person down before anyone cares that something like that is still possible.

MIMIC

Banned
If a classroom full of slaughtered elementary school children wouldn't get the ball moving, nothing would.

Such bullshit. Course not surprising since the NRA probably threw around a ton of money to stop it.
Gun owners vote and they care deeply about their rights.

This is less a story about a "ton of money" and more about how an organized special interest group (gun owners/enthusiasts) can hold more political capital than a largely apathetic minority (the 80% in favor of UBC).

UBC also would have done nothing to prevent this attack since the guy had been taken off the watchlist and had never been convicted of any crime. Didn't he pass the background check anyway? Why are solutions that would not have stopped Omar Mateen being pushed?

Not a gun owner personally but it's hard for me to see any way to stop spree shootings other than a blanket ban on guns - politically unrealistic at this time .

TyrantII

Fear of being primaried from your right. Lobbying money. Genuine belief in unconstrained gun rights.

Pick one to three of these.

How about courage, pride, and morality?

I know this is the GOP and all, but F Man. Dead school children and 50 people not going home after a Friday night out, and nothing.

The silence is deafening.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Gun owners vote and they care deeply about their rights.

Most people want guns to protect themselves from people with guns. So the support isn't that strong, it's just that people want to be safe now and not later. This isn't about people support, it's about lobbyists.

hupla

Even had the 3 dems who voted against these BG checks had voted for them they still wouldnt have passed wow

TaterTots

Banned
This is why you vote and not assume. The voter put these people in power. Want to make a change? Stop being lazy.

EDIT; There is another thread on this subject that is older and has more responses.

Measley

The GOP opposes ANY form of gun legislation. They oppose it even if said legislation could save American lives.

I'm glad the vote was forced at least. Now the GOP can't hide behind procedure.

Wilsongt

Even some Democrats voted along with Republicans.
Some of these literally were common sense legislation and they still failed. I have no fucking words for this fuckery.

sk3

Banned
I have a serious problem with using the no-fly list for preventing gun ownership, considering the unconstitutional and overzealous nature of that list. Then again that may have set into motion a supreme court challenge to it.

It's unfortunate that was grouped with the other proposals.

_Ryo_

Fuck the GOP and NRA, man.

If Republicans pretend to be shocked or pretend to even care when the next massacre occurs, they can just fucking save it. It is obvious now that human life is not important to them, unless it's an unborn fetus or a rich white person.

They don't care about how many lives are lost. They're scum of the earth and the day they all fall into an abyss of obscurity the better off earth will be.

buru5

Banned
The GOP opposes ANY form of gun legislation. They oppose it even if said legislation could save American lives.

I'm glad the vote was forced at least. Now the GOP can't hide behind procedure.

Yep, because the Constitution is quite clear on this subject.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Remember that one?

Dartastic

I think it's also important to highlight how terribad the Republican proposals were. Like, they were absolute crap.
What about a mass shooting at the GOP National Convention?
Sadly, I don't know what else outside of this WOULD get them to do something. We need to vote these assholes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom