• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate Democrats filibustering in push for stricter gun control laws

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to that line you can call, remember, the most strategic thing you can is call in, and go on a fucking rant about how you don't want muslim terrorists to get guns so easily. The fact is, when the GOP blocks the legislation, Clinton gets to clean Trump's clock with "I don't want terrorists to have easy access to guns". The strength of such a narrative is so great that fox news had people "take a stand".

That was bad gun control anyways. I'm for banning all guns but against that terrorist watch list ban.

I have mixed feelings about it. With basically no way to get yourself removed from the list and anyone being able to be added to the list arbitrarily, it's hugely problematic and possibly unconstitutional. At the same time, if the FBI is investigating you for terrorism links but doesn't have enough evidence to arrest you, maybe you shouldn't be able to buy an assault rifle.

TyrantII

That was bad gun control anyways. I'm for banning all guns but against that terrorist watch list ban.

I'm for it, but there needs to be due process to get on and off it

Semi-auto Assault weapon with high fire rate discharges need to be banned. They're not about self defense.

Without any sort of appeals process or transparency, banning people on watch lists from legally purchasing firearms will get shot down by the supreme court instantly.

LosDaddie

Banned
The current makeup of the Senate has absolutely no interest in accomplishing anything. They're not confirming appointments. They won't pass bills that the president will sign. They will be lucky if they even pass a budget. McConnell is keeping the Senate open to prevent Obama from making recess appointments and to pass non-controversial bills.

Amazingly, Democrats today might accomplish more using a tactic designed to block progress than the entire 114th Congress has up to this point.

By not passing a budget Obama likes/would sign and not confirming his judicial appointments, the Senate majority is doing exactly what they were elected to do.

Without any sort of appeals process or transparency, banning people on watch lists from legally purchasing firearms will get shot down by the supreme court instantly.

Which is why due process needs to be added to the terrorist watch lists so they can bring their case to a judge and get someone's firearm rights revoked if it's required.

Guzim

Just did this btw, its legit
ClB5WYsUoAAQIFK.jpg:large
Chris Murphy is my Senator :)

This list of mass shootings Sen. Baldwin is reading.

Fuck, how easy it is to have so many of these washed away because you're so used to hearing about them. The ones we never hear about anymore because they didn't kill enough people to become infamous in the eyes of the public.

mackaveli

Is it not a bad look for republicans not to at least be in the room and have a discussion after a tradegy? Like they don't even contribute a thought process or opinion when the public wants something done? Crazy how they have jobs.

Is it not a bad look for republicans not to at least be in the room and have a discussion after a tradegy? Like they don't even contribute a thought process or opinion when the public wants something done? Crazy how they have jobs.

ben sasse and pat toomey have both been in there, in fairness to only those two

but everyone else in that caucus is gutless

mackaveli

ben sasse and pat toomey have both been in there, in fairness to only those two

but everyone else in that caucus is gutless

That's good but yeah the other senators I. Wonder what they are thinking. 49 people dead. Let's just skip this moment that quite a bit of people are talking about on the Internet. Let's just ignore. I have more important issues to worry about.

Pat Toomey and Ben Sasse are there, if I read right.
I wonder how many votes they could get for a gun control measure.

You have the 46 Democrats. Heitkamp voted No on the Manchin-Toomey bill and on the terror watch list bill, but I heard (at least for M-T) she switched her vote after realizing she wasn't the deciding vote. I think if it came down to her she'd do the right thing. Mark Kirk has also been a pretty reliable vote for this.

Republicans who voted Yes on Manchin-Toomey: Collins, McCain, Toomey (duh), Kirk. That's 50.

I do wonder if fucking over a hundred people being killed or maimed in Orlando would change any votes. Sasse's presence at this filibuster is interesting - he's been positioning himself strongly against Trump and seems to be presenting himself as more moderate/reasonable, so I wonder if he could be persuaded. Portman came out in favor of barring people on the terror watch list, so maybe he'd agree to expanding background checks as well. That's 52. Beyond that...

I wonder how many votes they could get for a gun control measure.

You have the 46 Democrats. Heitkamp voted No on the Manchin-Toomey bill and on the terror watch list bill, but I heard (at least for M-T) she switched her vote after realizing she wasn't the deciding vote. I think if it came down to her she'd do the right thing. Mark Kirk has also been a pretty reliable vote for this.

Republicans who voted Yes on Manchin-Toomey: Collins, McCain, Toomey (duh), Kirk. That's 50.

I do wonder if fucking over a hundred people being killed or maimed in Orlando would change any votes. Sasse's presence at this filibuster is interesting - he's been positioning himself strongly against Trump and seems to be presenting himself as more moderate/reasonable, so I wonder if he could be persuaded. Portman came out in favor of barring people on the terror watch list, so maybe he'd agree to expanding background checks as well. That's 52. Beyond that...

Portman could, especially if it gives Strickland a chance to flay him ahead of November if he holds out. He knows it's an issue here in Ohio, and Tammy Baldwin's list of shootings didn't even mention what happened in Pike County a few months ago.

Y'all forgot about the 8 people that got murdered there, didn't you?

Cartman86

Banned
"Common sense" legislation is hardly ever enough, and if this gets Republican support it's a clear sign that this isn't enough.

Holy shit, these stories are depressing. Talking about the boy hugging his teacher he loved. Teacher hugging him. Finding them dead like that.

He finally yielded the floor.

They finally adjourned for tomorrow at 10:00 AM. I pray to god they actually get these measures to go through. I shouldn't be proud of them....but I'll have to be if they finally do something.

Diablos

Chris Murphy for Senate Majority Leader if they win it back pls.

Also, Bernie didn't show up? Typical -- lots of talk, no action.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Filibuster Ends After GOP Agrees to Allow Gun Control Votes: Senator

Senate Democrats ended a nearly 15-hour filibuster early Thursday after Republican Party leaders reportedly agreed to allow votes on two proposed gun control measures.

Sen. Chris Murphy, a Democrat from Connecticut, said that a compromise had been reached. Votes would be held on whether to ban people on the government's terrorist watch list from obtaining gun licenses and whether to expand background checks to gun shows and internet sales, he added.

"We did not have that commitment when we started today," Murphy said.

This really could be the beginning of meaningful gun control legislation in the US. Good job, Dems.

Chris Murphy for Senate Majority Leader if they win it back pls.

Also, Bernie didn't show up? Typical -- lots of talk, no action.

He's done with that scene anyway. A few more speeches, "rah rah revolution", and that's that. He should have been there, though.

_Ryo_

It is a nice gesture and I do really appreciate it even though it is unlikely positive change will occur.

Edit: or maybe it will?

BiggNife

No New Jersey politician should be near the presidency.
So you're saying because Christie is awful that means every NJ politician sucks?

Fuck off. Christie does not represent every person from New Jersey. Lots of people in NJ hate him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom