• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't get it. I just don't get the logic.

Zimmerman clearly initiated this mess by following..., fuck that, stalking, Mr. Trayvon. He clearly indicated that he desired to engage Mr. Trayvon in a hostile manner--not necessarily physical, but his intention was maliciously motivated. He clearly was the one carrying the gun to this engagement. He clearly has prejudiced tendencies towards the group of race Mr. Trayvon is in. He clearly disregarded the instruction from the police to withheld from initiating engagement and disregarded the fact that he did not have the legal right to engage "suspicious" persons directly as if he's a police officer.

Playing Devil's Advocate is fine, but I just don't get how people can gift Zimmerman with so many benefits of the doubts when so many clear-cut facts have been laid down on the table. I just don't get the mindset to the point that it made me feeling rather angry right now.
Contrarians gonna contra.

Zimmerman clearly initiated this mess by following..., fuck that, stalking, Mr. Trayvon. He clearly indicated that he desired to engage Mr. Trayvon in a hostile manner--not necessarily physical, but his intention was maliciously motivated. He clearly was the one carrying the gun to this engagement. He clearly has prejudiced tendencies towards the group of race Mr. Trayvon is in. He clearly disregarded the instruction from the police to withheld from initiating engagement and disregarded the fact that he did not have the legal right to engage "suspicious" persons directly as if he's a police officer.

Playing Devil's Advocate is fine, but I just don't get how people can gift Zimmerman with so many benefits of the doubts when so many clear-cut facts have been laid down on the table. I just don't get the mindset to the point that it made me feeling rather angry right now.

It doesn't matter what you feel. All that matters is what would possibly be used to defend him, or prosecute him, with in court. Your emotions, my emotions etc don't mean shit.

The FaceBook activism pulling the race card and that white folk are always racist seem to have mislooked the fact that Zimmerman has hispanic roots. That is right folks. You actually have to judge people as individuals rather than whole segments of population. Go figure.

I hate my facebook friends.
Good thing as a guy who grew up in Miami, I got to learn first hand that if you're Cuban, Columbian, Peruvian, or my father in law, you hate the shit out of my black ass. Obviously I don't mean everyone...my mom loved me, and was just as racist.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
As a black male who has been racially profiled multiple time I find it offensive when people act like race had little to do with this.

I've been through that myself as a youngster. But my point was that sometimes a single persons actions should not account for an entire segment of people. In this case, people were quick to make it a white-black case. When it was more like a random dude falling into some paranoid stereotypes rather than "white people being the racist".

Now. Zimmerman being arrested and prosecuted in a more timely manner is another topic of discussion separate from my point.

I've been through that myself as a youngster. But my point was that sometimes a single persons actions should not account for an entire segment of people. In this case, people were quick to make it a white-black case. When it was more like a random dude falling into some paranoid stereotypes rather than "white people being the racist".

Now. Zimmerman being arrested and prosecuted in a more timely manner is another topic of discussion separate from my point.

You don't need to be a racist to profile someone racially, which is what Zimmerman clearly did. If he's in fact also a racist, none of us know.

And I think most rational people would respond to you with, "Duh."

Better question, why not ask your Facebook friends, rather than making appeals to Gaf, for their viewpoint. Ya know, go to those who are offending your sense of race and relevancy.

remist

People are just pointing out that we don't know all the facts and no matter how unlikely it might be, all that stuff could be true and he could still be legally in the right. He would have to prove that he feared for his life and he exhausted all reasonable ways of escape. To me that seems unlikely, but not impossible with the limited information we know.

Where's the fun in that?

lol. True. But I'd be a might embarrassed to start throwing around terms like "race card."

Then again, as a white person in America, I suffer from such debilitating racism and prejudice. Yup, lots. I guess I need to trade up for a mint race card. Hey Gaf, how much are those worth nowadays? Would you take a mid-career Topps Mickey Mantle? Is that too low? Too high?

BobLoblaw

Banned

I think it's been stated several times, but the race issue breaks down like this.

Trayvon was targeted and considered "suspicious" and "on drugs" primarily because of his race. Zimmerman has a history of singling out young African American males (even as young as 7-9 years old) because they were "suspicious."

Secondly, may people believe that had the races been reversed, there would've definitely been an investigation because how many times has a black male killed a white/hispanic person in "self defense" and just been let go forsaking police procedure completely? Those are the main points on race and anyone that says otherwise is probably race baiting.

Zoe

Trayvon was targeted and considered "suspicious" and "on drugs" primarily because of his race. Zimmerman has a history of singling out young African American males (even as young as 7-9 years old) because they were "suspicious."

The boy wasn't reported for being suspicious. He was concerned for the kid's safety.

S-Wind

People in Florida are well armed though unlike citizens in LA.

If such riots happened it would be open season on the rioters lots of senseless bloodshed.

Some of the rioters could be armed as well. With both sides Standing Their Ground that damn law could make things interesting...

BobLoblaw

Banned
The boy wasn't reported for being suspicious. He was concerned for the kid's safety.
Doesn't change the fact that he has a history of targeting young black males. I've yet to hear that he's specifically singled out hispanic or white males looking "suspicious." And if no such evidence exists, then we already have a pattern on who he profiles.

Zoe

Doesn't change the fact that he has a history of targeting young black males. I've yet to hear that he's specifically singled out hispanic or white males looking "suspicious." And if no such evidence exists, then we already have a pattern on who he profiles.

There's just no need for embellishment when there's already so much wrong with the case.

Onemic

36. April 22, 2011 – 7:09 p.m.
Type: TEL
Subject: Suspicious activity
Report: Juvenile black male “apprx 7–9” years old, four feet tall “skinny build short blk hair” last seen wearing a blue t-shirt and blue shorts

I said wow.

Read it and tell me how you interpret the words. You can't argue the exceptions don't exist, they're right there.

Like I said....random person over the internet....or the coauthor of the legislation.

Gee, I wonder which person has more insight and is more relevant to tell me what it was/wasn't intended for and if it should/shouldn't be applicable....

i.e. not you dude.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
This whole thread is a bunch of suspicious activity.

I think some people posting here like to watch others have sex too.

Bgamer90

Banned
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/trayvon-martin-trademarks-769123

Sabrina Fulton, Treyvon's mom has apparently trademarked digital materials, namely, CDs and DVDs featuring Trayvon Martin and the phrases “I Am Trayvon” and “Justice for Trayvon".
____

Of course, people are using this to say that she is trying to make money.

I mean heaven forbid if she's doing this so that an "average joe" can't make money off of the tragedy.

People really want to twist anything they hear/see. SMH.

BobLoblaw

Banned

Sabrina Fulton, Treyvon's mom has apparently trademarked digital materials, namely, CDs and DVDs featuring Trayvon Martin and the phrases “I Am Trayvon” and “Justice for Trayvon".
____

I mean heaven forbid if she's doing this so that an "average joe" can't make money off of the tragedy.

That's actually the first thing I thought about when I heard it, so I guess I'm in the minority. There are gonna be people on street corners trying to sell t-shirts and shit and cash in on this tragedy. If anyone should get any kind of financial benefit, it should be solely those that lost someone, not some asshole out trying to make a buck.

FStop7

Banned

____

I wouldn't want people cashing in on my dead child's name, either. But like you said, this will be spun some stupid way. I see Matt Drudge is already trying that, in fact. Talk about a walking pile of filth, Drudge is poison.

mavs

Like I said....random person over the internet....or the coauthor of the legislation.

Gee, I wonder which person has more insight and is more relevant to tell me what it was/wasn't intended for and if it should/shouldn't be applicable....

i.e. not you dude.

Yeah of course the guy who "wrote" the law and championed it doesn't want to entertain the idea that his fucking stupid law allows murderers to walk. That certainly wouldn't look good come election time. I hope whoever his opponent is beats him over the head with it, but it's Florida so that's not likely.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
How is it clear he was maliciously motivated? Racially motivated, sure.

For me, "thinking that a particular person is doing something criminal for no other reason other than he is black and wear a hood and proceeds to engage that person in a negative manner based on that thinking despite having no legal right whatsoever to do so" is pretty malicious.

It doesn't matter what you feel. All that matters is what would possibly be used to defend him, or prosecute him, with in court. Your emotions, my emotions etc don't mean shit.

To say that public opinion has no sway over things like this is a bit inaccurate, no? Extensive public pressure, especially when people like the President himself has spoken, can steer event like this in a particular way. Do you really think this news will get as big as this and stuff like the feds intervening will happen if Mr. Treyvor's family just do nothing and accept everything?

So yes, people's "emotions" can mean shit.

For me, "thinking that a particular person is doing something criminal for no other reason other than he is black and wear a hood and proceeds to engage that person in a negative manner based on that thinking despite having no legal right whatsoever to do so" is pretty malicious.

To say that public opinion has no sway over things like this is a bit inaccurate, no? Extensive public pressure, especially when people like the President himself has spoken, can steer event like this in a particular way. Do you really think this news will get as big as this and stuff like the feds intervening will happen if Mr. Treyvor's family just do nothing and accept everything?

So yes, people's "emotions" can mean shit.

The public's emotions don't mean shit in the trial, nor should they. Cassie Anthony would be on Death Row if they did. Getting pissed because someone dared look at all possible sides is pretty disingenuous, especially given that none of us here know what truly happened.

jaxword

Check out how the photographs used in the media are changing:

4JlSh.png

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This whole is a mess but I just have one question.

Isn't it illegal for someone to publically put a bounty on somebody's head? I heard the leader of the Black Panther put one on Zimmerman. Assuming this is true and I heard right, shouldn't he be arrested? Isn't this against the law?

Isn't it illegal for someone to publically put a bounty on somebody's head? I heard the leader of the Black Panther put one on Zimmerman. Assuming this is true and I heard right, shouldn't he be arrested? Isn't this against the law?

The bounty is for his capture, not his death. Black Panthers are a joke.

Stop this silly argument:
"As the prime sponsor of this legislation in the Florida House, I'd like to clarify that this law does not seem to be applicable to the tragedy that happened in Sanford. There is nothing in the castle doctrine as found in Florida statutes that authenticates or provides for the opportunity to pursue and confront individuals, it simply protects those who would be potential victims by allowing for force to be used in self-defense."

"Mr. Zimmerman's unnecessary pursuit and confrontation of Trayvon Martin elevated the prospect of a violent episode and does not seem to be an act of self-defense as defined by the castle doctrine. There is no protection in the "Stand Your Ground" law for anyone who pursues and confronts people."

- Rep. Dennis Baxley was the author of Florida's law Castle Doctrine.

You can't provoke and shoot people then claim self defense. Why is this arguable..

Given that the Stand Your Ground Law was literally handed to republicans by ALEC and the NRA, I doubt he's even bothered to read it. He certainly didn't write it.

Dash27

Shocking how suddenly the pictures are changing as we hear more information. I really hate our media.

They charged some loon who threatened the police chief and his family so yeah i would say that's actionable.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/24/trayvon-martin-police-chief-bill-lee_n_1377116.html

I dont think it's really relevant to anything though.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Tell me what Westboro is saying. You call their hotline and I'll check their twitter.

jaxword

Shocking how suddenly the pictures are changing as we hear more information. I really hate our media.

That's the point I was making, dude. It's subtle character assassination to influence the mob's support.

Go check Stormfront--they're not even HIDING their efforts to do this.

Dash27

Stormfront you'd expect this shit from. The media though they set their spin on a day to day basis. White guy kills unarmed minority teen, let's go with Zimmerman mugshot and Martin as a 14 year old baby faced kid. What? Leaks that maybe Martin wasn't 100% passive? Run the unflattering picture of him!

jaxword

Stormfront you'd expect this shit from. The media though they set their spin on a day to day basis. White guy kills unarmed minority teen, let's go with Zimmerman mugshot and Martin as a 14 year old baby faced kid. What? Leaks that maybe Martin wasn't 100% passive? Run the unflattering picture of him!

No, that's what I'm saying. The media's job (for themselves) is to keep people as interested as possible. So they'll hammer through all new information as possible to keep the headlines shifting.

People like Stormfronters USE the new media speed to spread misinformation, because once it's out there, it's so mixed in it becomes harder to tell the truth.

See: Obama's birth certificate.

ced

Where is a source saying that picture is fake, I'm just curious. Or by fake you all mean it's not actually Trayvon, cause that I would believe.

Log4Girlz

OMG how dare they use a recent photo of T rather than the one where he is 13 or so :/

That's right, if this isn't fake, pick the most menacing one where he's mugging for the camera...that will show Trayvon's true nature. Remember, Zimmerman was dealing with a hostile blackman. [/sarcasm]

Angry Fork

I'm completely disgusted by little "oh well hmmm look at this! well wadawee have here....." quotes and tidbits in favor of the shooter in the media. Now there's some stupid statement released about the kid going for the gun during the altercation.

HELLO. Some guy comes up to you who you don't know, with a gun, and picks a fight with you. WHY DOESN'T THIS KID HAVE THE RIGHT TO DEFEND HIMSELF? This guy has no authority over you, there's no identification shown, and the kid is supposed to just put his hands up to some stranger and go back to his car if Zimmerman asked?

Fucking hell the racism that still presides in America is as clear as day in this case right here. Every lunatic is looking for any reason to try to act like the kid brought it on or deserved it, trying to desperately find a link so the killer can be vindicated. Fuck this country and anyone that tries to pull the same shit.

If the kid punched Zimmerman THAT'S A GOOD THING. He defended himself as best he could from a stranger who brought on a physical confrontation. HOW can Zimmerman get off on 'self defense' if he STARTED the whole thing. I don't understand it. How anyone can be in favor of Zimmerman or try to bring up irrelavent shit to try to boost his defense. The facts are clear. The kid committed no crime, he walked down the street with a hoody some skittles and was black. For that Zimmerman thought he was suspicious and ended his life. And people want to shit on the kid for trying to defend himself as if that justifies anything. Fucking shameful. I hope Zimmerman gets the book thrown at him as well as the police involved in explaining away/covering up everything.

Geraldo Rivera is a fucking cunt too as if nobody should wear a hoody otherwise you're branded as a potential thief/murderer/rapist. I'm surprised he didn't go on a full rant about women who wear skirts "bringing on" rape.

OMG how dare they use a recent photo of T rather than the one where he is 13 or so :/

And they picked the one with an imposing facial expression? No generic -_- faced picture or smiling ones exist? Instead they go with >=o because hmm maybe he has a prior criminal streak hmm maybe he's a hoodlum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom