• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

Posted? New York State Senator Eric Adams

cSUGG.jpg

mavs

As written, IF Zimmerman turned his back and went towards his truck, away from the boy who he had lost sight of, he can legally defend himself with deadly force. Even if he was the initial aggressor. The idea that there exists no details that could cover Zimmerman under the Florida law is wrong.

Only if he feared imminent death or great bodily harm from Martin. Also, while the law doesn't specifically say he needed to be facing deadly force, the law uses those exact words to define deadly force. So it'd be an uphill battle to try to make an unarmed attack by Martin fit that description.

commedieu

Banned
Only if he feared imminent death or great bodily harm from Martin. Also, while the law doesn't specifically say he needed to be facing deadly force, the law uses those exact words to define deadly force. So it'd be an uphill battle to try to make an unarmed attack by Martin fit that description.

Stop this silly argument:
"As the prime sponsor of this legislation in the Florida House, I'd like to clarify that this law does not seem to be applicable to the tragedy that happened in Sanford. There is nothing in the castle doctrine as found in Florida statutes that authenticates or provides for the opportunity to pursue and confront individuals, it simply protects those who would be potential victims by allowing for force to be used in self-defense."

"Mr. Zimmerman's unnecessary pursuit and confrontation of Trayvon Martin elevated the prospect of a violent episode and does not seem to be an act of self-defense as defined by the castle doctrine. There is no protection in the "Stand Your Ground" law for anyone who pursues and confronts people."

- Rep. Dennis Baxley was the author of Florida's law Castle Doctrine.

You can't provoke and shoot people then claim self defense. Why is this arguable..

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
ITT Lawyers act like assholes and LM4Sure trolls everyone.

shit is messy in here.

Yall are really showing your asses.

One thing I keep thinking too...if a guy gets out of his vehicle to follow you, how likely are you going to run straight home, alerting a possible stalker to exactly where you live?

LM4sure

Banned
Dont worry, the author of the law has already said the law doesn't apply. And he committed the crime of killing a human being.

Like I said, its mind blowing that you think a person in the modern world can murder another, say self defense, and not be at LEAST arrested and if bailed, told to not leave the state while the investigation is underway...

Its hyperbole..

But I thought you could not arrest someone without charging them with a crime. Or if you take them into custody you can only hold them for 24 hours if you don't charge them. Is this true, or did I just learn this from procedural tv like CSI?

Like that doctor that killed Michael Jackson, he wasn't arrested right away. MJ died in June, 2009. The guy wasn't arrested until January or February of the next year. He was not arrested right away.

KHarvey16

If the portrayal of Martin on top of Zimmerman is accurate, with his head being beaten against the sidewalk and Martin hitting him in the face, that may be achievable. It will depend on any additional eyewitnesses, pictures of Zimmerman and maybe statements from the EMT's that treated him.

Log4Girlz

"As the prime sponsor of this legislation in the Florida House, I'd like to clarify that this law does not seem to be applicable to the tragedy that happened in Sanford. There is nothing in the castle doctrine as found in Florida statutes that authenticates or provides for the opportunity to pursue and confront individuals, it simply protects those who would be potential victims by allowing for force to be used in self-defense."

"Mr. Zimmerman's unnecessary pursuit and confrontation of Trayvon Martin elevated the prospect of a violent episode and does not seem to be an act of self-defense as defined by the castle doctrine. There is no protection in the "Stand Your Ground" law for anyone who pursues and confronts people."

You can't provoke and shoot people then claim self defense. Why is this arguable..

Man I feel like quoting that with ever post I respond to.

One thing I keep thinking too...if a guy gets out of his vehicle to follow you, how likely are you going to run straight home, alerting a possible stalker to exactly where you live?

I was followed on foot in my neighborhood some years back, I ran up my block past my house, round the corner and down another street. Then peered up my street to see if he was still around.

remist

I just want Zimmerman to be tried. That's it. I'm not looking for him to be ANYTHING else at this point. But if you can't comprehend how people are outraged that he hasn't been arrested considering the circumstances then you're being intentionally obtuse.

I understand the initial frustration with the police investigation, but now with all this national attention they are going to go out of there way to charge him if possible. What is so terrible about going the route of a grand jury?

Log4Girlz

If the portrayal of Martin on top of Zimmerman is accurate, with his head being beaten against the sidewalk and Martin hitting him in the face, that may be achievable. It will depend on any additional eyewitnesses, pictures of Zimmerman and maybe statements from the EMT's that treated him.

I think its working.

Clearly the writers and sponsors of the law have no say in how it is to be interpreted. While their opinion isn't the end all be all, it will be taken into great consideration when the federal investigators look to interpret it.

commedieu

Banned
But I thought you could not arrest someone without charging them with a crime. Or if you take them into custody you can only hold them for 24 hours if you don't charge them. Is this true, or did I just learn this from procedural tv like CSI?

Like that doctor that killed Michael Jackson, he wasn't arrested right away. MJ died in June, 2009. The guy wasn't arrested until January or February of the next year. He was not arrested right away.

Do I really have to explain to you the difference between having a body laying on a street, and a medical examination, and witness testimony that leads to charges being made....?

Like I said, you think its ok to shoot someone, and go home with the weapon. Without an investigation, until the internet demands one.

KHarvey16

I think its working.

Have you actually read the statute? The two of you keep quoting this man, but he isn't correct. He may have intended the law to work this way, either before it was written or now that it's become politically beneficial, but that is not how it operates now. There are two specific exceptions where the initial aggressor can legally defend himself with deadly force. The final outcome of this will depend upon Zimmerman's classification of "initial aggressor" and, if so, whether or not the situation warranted either of those two very specific, explicit exceptions.

Stalking is not considered something you can kill someone in self defense over, even in Florida. When you are forced to kill someone in self defense, it had gone beyond stalking

Trayvon didn't kill Zimmerman. By Zimmermans own admission, he was stalking Trayvon. By Trayvon's own admission he felt as if he was being stalked. Now swap out Trayvon for a woman and she has every right to whip out a can of mace and blast Zimmerman with it because she felt her life was in danger by some guy that followed her in a car and then on foot. If the macing caused him to fall, smash his head on the sidewalk and die, she's not being charged for murder.

Clap clap clap. Very bright observation, and could possibly explain why Zimmerman told the police dispatchers repeatedly that Trayvon was not acting right.

As written, IF Zimmerman turned his back and went towards his truck, away from the boy who he had lost sight of, he can legally defend himself with deadly force. Even if he was the initial aggressor. The idea that there exists no details that could cover Zimmerman under the Florida law is wrong.

And that's the problem. How the fuck is anyone suppose to know WHAT happened when the police have operated such a piss fucking poor (I would say biased) investigation since the start?

I mean, c'mon...drug test the dead black kid. Doesn't drug test Zimmerman. Runs a background check on the dead black kid. Doesn't run a background check on Zimmerman. Takes Zimmerman's account of what happens at absolute face value and goes so far as to attempt to correct witnesses that provide accounts that completely differ.

None of this sets off your "WTF" meter? Nothing? At all?

I'm not saying execute the guy, I'm saying there seems to be more than enough evidence that he should have been arrested at that point.

commedieu

Banned
Ok, just so I understand you. Shooting someone should result in an immediate arrest while the police investigate and a doctor overdosing someone should be allowed to go free for 8 months while the police investigates?

You need to google bail, like right now.

Police didn't do an autopsy of Michael jackson on the spot, CSI isn't real life.

Honestly, this is your argument.

This is your life.

Log4Girlz

Have you actually read the statute? The two of you keep quoting this man, but he isn't correct. He may have intended the law to work this way, either before it was written or now that it's become politically beneficial, but that is not how it operates now. There are two specific exceptions where the initial aggressor can legally defend himself with deadly force. The final outcome of this will depend upon Zimmerman's classification of "initial aggressor" and whether or not the situation warranted either of those two very specific, explicit exceptions.

We will see what turns up in the investigation. If he was on the ground, he would have had to show Martin while he was on top to constitute any kind of self defense. If they two men were standing at the time, then Zimmerman doesn't have a leg to stand on.

LM4sure

Banned
Do I really have to explain to you the difference between having a body laying on a street, and a medical examination, and witness testimony that leads to charges being made....?

Like I said, you think its ok to shoot someone, and go home with the weapon. Without an investigation, until the internet demands one.

No, I don't. I already said they should have brought him in for questioning. But I also said that they cannot hold him for an indefinite time so it's better if the police does their due diligence and figures out what exactly to charge him with.

KHarvey16

We will see what turns up in the investigation. If he was on the ground, he would have had to show Martin while he was on top to constitute any kind of self defense. If they two men were standing at the time, then Zimmerman doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Standing when Martin was shot? If that's the case Zimmerman's story is clearly false and wouldn't support a claim of self defense.

MThanded

Have you actually read the statute? The two of you keep quoting this man, but he isn't correct. He may have intended the law to work this way, either before it was written or now that it's become politically beneficial, but that is not how it operates now. There are two specific exceptions where the initial aggressor can legally defend himself with deadly force. The final outcome of this will depend upon Zimmerman's classification of "initial aggressor" and, if so, whether or not the situation warranted either of those two very specific, explicit exceptions.
This right here is what the law shouldn't exist. Since when do average citizens get to presume that someone is guilty or innocent? The cops can't do it but your self appointed neighborhood watch captain can take it upon himself to kill after pursuing. He was told outright to not pursue and continued. The guy had a bloodlust.

Its nonsense.

I'll take the word of the guy that fucking wrote the florida castle doctrine law over random internet poster #239874293874293487293, that's for damned sure.

commedieu

Banned
No, I don't. I already said they should have brought him in for questioning. But I also said that they cannot hold him for an indefinite time so it's better if the police does their due diligence and figures out what exactly to charge him with.

They didn't do anything. Thats why this thread is here.

LM4sure

Banned
You need to google bail, like right now.

Police didn't do an autopsy of Michael jackson on the spot, CSI isn't real life.

Honestly, this is your argument.

This is your life.

This is what I found on google:

Traditionally, bail is some form of property deposited or pledged to a court to persuade it to release a suspect from jail, on the understanding that the suspect will return for trial or forfeit the bail (and possibly be brought up on charges of the crime of failure to appear).

What trial? There is no trial in this case.

I think this guy should be charged with something. I'm not sure what though. But I don't think anyone should be arrested and held for months while the DA figures out if he is going to charge the suspect with anything.

And if Zimmerman were the aggressor under law, he would be required to have used every reasonable means of escape before shooting. Just getting beaten, even to death, is not enough.

commedieu

Banned
This is what I found on google:

What trial? There is no trial in this case.

I think this guy should be charged with something. I'm not sure what though. But I don't think anyone should be arrested and held for months while the DA figures out if he is going to charge the suspect with anything.

Now use neogafs search function to find who is asking for him to be detained for months without charges.

Since you can't..

You can find everyone here asking for an investigation, since there wasn't one. As they took his word for it and went home.

Now there actually is.

What the hell are you even arguing at this point? This case would have been buried if not for Trayvon's parents and social media bringing attention to the ineptitude of the Sanford PD and local justice department. How much time he's in the jailhouse is some random ass strawman you conjured up for no reason.

KHarvey16

And if Zimmerman were the aggressor under law, he would be required to have used every[/] reasonable means of escape before shooting. Just getting beat, even to death, is not enough.

An exception could be satisfied simply if he lost Martin and turned to head back to his truck. In that scenario, Martin has returned to confront Zimmerman and re-engaged him.

mavs

Well since the police took him in for questioning, and he never went to the hospital, that's a pretty outside chance. If Martin beat him to an absolute bloody pulp that would be hard to reconcile with the statement of the witness who went outside after the shot, saw Zimmerman over Martin, and couldn't figure out that the two were fighting.

The stand your ground law specifically gives an out to aggressors who obviously try to disengage from a fight. There's a better than even chance that turning around satisfies that.

So what's this deal with New Black Panthers party looking mean on TV and asking for bounty on Zimmerman? Why is Anderson Cooper interviewing these morons?

Well since the police took him in for questioning, and he never went to the hospital, that's a pretty outside chance. If Martin beat him to an absolute bloody pulp that would be hard to reconcile with the statement of the witness who went outside after the shot, saw Zimmerman over Martin, and couldn't figure out that the two were fighting.

If Martin beat him to a pulp, did the police report mention injuries?

LM4sure

Banned
I'll take the word of the guy that fucking wrote the florida castle doctrine law over random internet poster #239874293874293487293, that's for damned sure.

For sure.

But as we all know, some times the way a law is written doesn't achieve it's intended result. I read that article someone linked about the guy shooting and killing the Iraq War veteran. And I'm sure the law wasn't written to protect the douche that shot him, but it sounds like he got away with it.

KHarvey16

"Fear of deadly force or grievous bodily harm" is the key. It need not actually be carried out.

An exception could be satisfied simply if he lost Martin and turned to head back to his truck. In that scenario, Martin has returned to confront Zimmerman and re-engaged him.

No, that's not an exception to what I said, because what I said presumed Zimmerman was deemed the aggressor as a matter of law. The aggressor under law always has a duty to use every reasonable means of escape or to "indicate[] clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force." Turning one's back doesn't indicate anything clearly.

Onemic

And if Zimmerman were the aggressor under law, he would be required to have used every reasonable means of escape before shooting. Just getting beat, even to death, is not enough.

Would you say that stalking and subsequently getting out of your car and chasing someone falls under being the aggressor? Or is Martin the aggressor for fighting back after what Zimmerman did?

Exactly. Trayvon wasn't the agressor. Zimmerman was. Trayvon was a kid that headed out to buy an iced tea and some Skittles and got stalked on his way home. He's the victim. How the hell Zimmerman hasn't at least been arrested for disobeying a police directive to stop stalking Trayvon, which in turn ended up with him murdering Trayvon is why so many people are mad. And do we know how Zimmerman wears his weapon? Is it out in the open? Was it possible that Trayvon saw a dude stalking him that also happened to be carrying a weapon?

Korey

Has anyone mentioned yet that stand your ground only applies if you think you're about to die? Like, if he believed Trayvon was about to kill him. I don't think you can invoke it if you're just getting beat up (by a guy who weighs 140 lbs less than you)

LM4sure

Banned
Now use neogafs search function to find who is asking for him to be detained for months without charges.

Since you can't..

You can find everyone here asking for an investigation, since there wasn't one. As they took his word for it and went home.

Now there actually is.

We are on the same page here. I'm not sure if the internet outrage is what caused the police department to investigate (the cnn article didn't mention that). But yes, I agree. The police department needs to finish the investigation and charge him with something.

commedieu

Banned
Has anyone mentioned yet that stand your ground only applies if you think you're about to die? Like, if he believed Trayvon was about to kill him.

Its all been mentioned. This thread is a cesspool of dumb.

We are on the same page here. I'm not sure if the internet outrage is what caused the police department to investigate (the cnn article didn't mention that). But yes, I agree. The police department needs to finish the investigation and charge him with something.

It is. It took a online petition to get them to do their job.

They let Zimmerman go home after following and shooting Trayvon to death.

Uh the Sanford Police shouldn't be touching anything at this point. I hope the FBI/FDJ is doing an independent one.

Log4Girlz

Has anyone mentioned yet that stand your ground only applies if you think you're about to die? Like, if he believed Trayvon was about to kill him. I don't think you can invoke it if you're just getting beat up (by a guy who weighs 140 lbs less than you)

He had a black teen on him who out weight him by like negative 140 pounds, how would he not be in fear for his life? :/

KHarvey16

No, that's not an exception to what I said, because what I said presumed Zimmerman was deemed the aggressor as a matter of law.

If Zimmerman ran after Martin or otherwise threatened him and became the aggressor, the act of losing sight and attempting to return to his vehicle would likely satisfy one of the two exceptions under the law. At that point Martin would have had to confront Zimmerman again and re-engage him, which "undoes" the initial aggressor label.

If you listen to the 911 call, Zimmerman mentions numerous times that Trayvon is reaching in his waistband and coming towards him.

MThanded

If Zimmerman ran after Martin or otherwise threatened him and became the aggressor, the act of losing sight and attempting to return to his vehicle would likely satisfy one of the two exceptions under the law. At that point Martin would have had to confront Zimmerman again and re-engage him, which "undoes" the initial aggressor label.

Gotta love legal interpretations.

LM4sure

Banned

What is stopping him from saying he thought he was going to die, whether he actually thought that or not? If he was actually getting his head slammed into the ground it's reasonable for him to think he was going to die.

Log4Girlz

If you listen to the 911 call, Zimmerman mentions numerous times that Trayvon is reaching in his waistband and coming towards him.

Zimmerman can approach a black teen armed, this is not against the law, but a black teen approaching Zimmerman with an Arizona Iced Tea? This is fucking criminal! :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom