• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

Sanford city manager says police were barred from arresting Trayvon Martin’s killer
The city manager of Sanford, Fla., says George Zimmerman wasn't arrested despite his confession that he fatally shot Trayvon Martin because police were legally barred from doing so.

"Zimmerman provided a statement claiming he acted in self defense, which at the time was supported by physical evidence and testimony," Sanford City Manager Norton Bonaparte Jr. wrote in a letter released publicly Wednesday evening. "By Florida Statute, law enforcement was PROHIBITED from making an arrest based on the facts and circumstances they had at the time."

The letter goes on to address several other issues related to the case. Bonaparte writes that Zimmerman's failure to obey a 911 dispatcher's request that he not follow Martin can be taken into account in the ongoing investigation, but adds that the request "is not a lawful order that Mr. Zimmerman would be required to follow."

Bonaparte appears to be saying that disobeying the order wasn't in itself a violation of law.

Bonaparte also addresses a claim made by Martin's father, Tracey Martin: that a law enforcement official told Tracey Martin that Zimmerman wasn't initially arrested because he had a squeaky clean image (in fact, Zimmerman had been charged in connection with assaulting a cop, though the charge was dropped).

Bonaparte writes that the official was merely telling the elder Martin how Zimmerman had portrayed himself. "We believe Mr. Martin may have misconstrued this information," he adds.

"Let me assure you we too feel the pain of this senseless tragedy that has dramatically affected our community," Bonaparte writes.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...-were-barred-arresting-trayvon-134007644.html

Such grand stupidity.

The fact that you're unwilling to acknowledge that the cases were unlikely to happen to a white kid shows that not enough has changed in two decades if you ask me.

Well, I think that's the disconnect between people on topics like this. Some people think of race first, while some don't.

I know racism exists, and I know it's a factor in some cases, but that doesn't mean that I will presume it from the start.

All I know in this case is that a vigilante dumbass was roaming his neighborhood with a gun, and ended up doing something really stupid. He should spend a good number of years in jail for his behavior, but racism hasn't crossed my mind while learning about this story.

I see lots of people suggesting as much, but I'm just not seeing any real evidence of it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yeah coverage has taken a racism turn that is hard to watch. Seems to me Zimmerman would have done what he did to someone of any race. Could have been a white, Latino, Asian, whatever kid looking suspicious (to him) and it would have been on. He'd apparently called police almost 50 times in a short time before this incident. I have a hard time believing race is the motivating factor here. Dude is just an overzealous douche.

People are really taking that "fucking ____" quote and running. Has a media outlet or anyone else really cleaned that audio up and tried to find out exactly what he says yet? Seemed clear to me he says punks. If he said coon then obviously race was the main factor here.

The guy's a racist. I'd bet my life on it.

Blood Pressure Rising

Sanford, Fla., explains why George Zimmerman was not arrested
By Elizabeth Flock
Under mounting pressure, the city of Sanford, Fla., has released a letter to the public about why George Zimmerman, who fatally shot an unarmed black teenager in the city last month, was not arrested. The letter calls the death of Trayvon Martin “morally appalling.”

A 2005 mug shot of George Zimmerman, released by the Orange County jail in Florida. “Zimmerman provided a statement claiming he acted in self defense, which at the time was supported by physical evidence and testimony,” the letter, signed by Sanford City Manager Norton Bonaparte Jr., says. “By Florida Statute, law enforcement was PROHIBITED from making an arrest based on the facts and circumstances they had at the time.” (Caps are theirs.)

The letter goes on to address a number of questions that Bonaparte says the city has received repeatedly the last month.

Celebrities, politicians, African American leaders and civil rights leaders and online petitions have all called for Zimmerman’s arrest. Zimmerman’s father maintains that “at no time did George follow or confront . . . Martin.”

Among the questions is whether Zimmerman broke any laws in holding a concealed weapon as a neighborhood watchman. The letter says that because Zimmerman had a permit to carry a weapon in a concealed manner, he broke no laws in having a gun. Some activists have used this case as leverage to lobby for stricter gun control laws in Florida.

The letter also addresses the 911 calls released this past weekend, in which Zimmerman tells the dispatcher he is going to follow Martin and the dispatcher responds: “You don’t need to do that.” Many people have asked whether that exchange can be used in the investigation. According to the letter, the dispatcher’s suggestion is not a lawful order that Zimmerman would have been required to follow.

Finally, the letter seeks to assuage some of the anger directed at Sanford. Many have accused the city of racism.

“As a father, I can only image the pain Trayvon’s family must be going though,” writes Bonaparte. “Although the Police Department is the target of the troubling questions, let me assure you we too feel the pain of this senseless tragedy that has dramatically affected our community.”

The city is now being assisted by the U.S. Department of Justice and FBI, which have opened a criminal investigation into Martin’s death.

ShinNL

Bla bla bla Law only applies if there's no probable cause bla bla bla.

We've heard enough of this. Probably cause is right in everyone's face. Corrupted assholes.

KodMoS

Banned
I think he was suspicious because he was on high alert due to the recent crime spike.
That's the point. Recent crimes in that area were committed by African Americans and that's why Zimmerman thought he was suspicious. He may have not been a racist but race did play an issue.

Well, I think that's the disconnect between people on topics like this. Some people think of race first, while some don't.

I think the difference is experience. A lot of us don't have the luxury of assuming that everyone will ignore the color of our skin. For you the question might be academic, for us it can be life or death.

I think the difference is experience. A lot of us don't have the luxury of assuming that everyone will ignore the color of our skin. For you the question might be academic, for us it can be life or death.

Yeah this thread really reveals who knows what it's like to live as a minority in America.

Reallink

A bunch of NY partiers face down in the pavement = high stress? To add insult to injury, he handcuffed him after he shot him in the back. You telling me this cop can't tell left from right or a bullet hole from a taser burn?

Edit: You're arguing that unless a cop brutally mistreats every member of a race he comes across, he can't be seen as racist against that race? What kind of ridiculous standard is that?

So in your opinion, which of these is the greater leap of logic?

That an officer with (apparently) no prior history of obvious racism or mistreatment of black suspects all of a sudden decides he hates them enough to KILL an innocent party goer in cold blood, lying face down on the ground. Or...

That an officer, who just wrangled however many people out of a complex, his mind and adrenalin racing--mistook his right for his left--his gun for his taser--by accident. As if you have never reached for your phone in the right pocket and come up with your keys.

Just a couple months ago I was actively arguing in another thread about this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY5ioBvrYIg

I felt the police totally overreacted to the situation when they shot this guy full of lead. To this day I don't understand why they had to shoot so many times.

If the guy in that video was black, do you think a lot of people would be assuming the police fired so many times because he was black? I have a feeling quite a few would. I believe those cops simply overreacted in the moment, and their emotions got the best of them. Obviously, race didn't play a part in that situation, but we're only saying that because he was white. If he wasn't I think there would be a whole shit ton of questions being asked.

I just don't think it's wise to assume race motivations in every situation.

That an officer with (apparently) no prior history of obvious racism or mistreatment of black suspects all of a sudden decides he hates them enough to KILL an innocent party goer in cold blood, lying face down on the ground. Or...

That an officer, who just wrangled however many people out of a complex, his mind and adrenalin racing--mistook his right for his left--his gun for his taser--by accident. As if you have never reached for your phone in the right pocket and come up with your keys.

Have you ever held a Glock 19/22 and a taser?

I'm a gun guy and let me tell you...the 2 feels are unmistakable, from weight to balance to feel to trigger pull to color.

HOWEVER, I do agree that it's possible* that if he grabbed and shot all in one, really swift motion, he certainly could have accidentally pulled out the wrong weapon. But did the victim need to be tazed in the first place, face down and not resisting? Even pulling out a taser in this scenario suggests he was going overboard and abusing his authority at best. Oh, and I bet that in a real shoot-out, he wouldn't have accidentally pulled out his fucking taser.

*very unlikely and unusual, but the possibility remains

Just a couple months ago I was actively arguing in another thread about this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY5ioBvrYIg

I felt the police totally overreacted to the situation when they shot this guy full of lead. To this day I don't understand why they had to shoot so many times.

If the guy in that video was black, do you think a lot of people would be assuming the police fired so many times because he was black? I have a feeling quite a few would.
he was shot multiple times because he was still standing. that's how the training goes, as one bullet doesn't always put someone down. if you're shooting, that's the goal (to put them on the ground)...doing less than that can actually exacerbate a situation.

Kacho

There were early reports that he had a bloody nose and the back of his shirt was wet. Given how the police have behaved, though, who knows if that is even true.

Wow. The lawyers on both sides have their work cut out for them if this (hopefully) goes to trial.

Derwind

Sanford city manager says police were barred from arresting Trayvon Martin’s killer

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...-were-barred-arresting-trayvon-134007644.html

Such grand stupidity.

Bonaparte.jpg

Zoe

^ why oh why do people insist on using "ish"... That's the stupidest shit I've heard.

No, what I'm doing in taking the evidence into consideration. Why else would he be suspicious?

Maybe I am cynical, but I do feel that walking at night with your features concealed does raise some suspicion. This is presumably a nice community--adults and older teenagers with somewhere to go would have driven. People out for exercise would have worn appropriate gear. Little kids wouldn't be out to play.

Zimmerman's mistake is in what he did after the 911 operator picked up.

KodMoS

Banned
Wow. The lawyers on both sides have their work cut out for them if this (hopefully) goes to trial.

It's not surprising considering Zimmerman admitted that he and Trayvon were involved in an altercation. In my opinion, Trayvon's girlfriend is going to play a big part if this case goes to trial, because it appears she contradicts Zimmerman's side of the story.

Onemic

^ why oh why do people insist on using "ish"... That's the stupidest shit I've heard.

Maybe I am cynical, but I do feel that walking at night with your features concealed does raise some suspicion. This is presumably a nice community--adults and older teenagers with somewhere to go would have driven. People out for exercise would have worn appropriate gear. Little kids wouldn't be out to play.

I guess stores shouldn't sell hoodies then.

KodMoS

Banned

His girlfriend stated that he put his hoodie on when he was being followed by Zimmerman.

LMAOOOOOOOO OH GOD I CANT BREATHE

You didn't read any of this thread, did you? You just skipped right on up in this bitch and bothered not to GLANCE at any of the details huh? Which would've told you it was RAINING thus the need for a hoodie.

Furthermore I didn't realize Hoodies and hats provided some justification for being suspicious. I also didn't realize there was appropriate gear young black men, or anyone for that matter, needed to wear while out and about. PLEASE continue to shower me with your wisdom. PLEASE.

KodMoS

Banned
Things don't exist in bubbles.

That can be construed as suspicious as well.

He called the cops and said he was suspicious before he put the hoodie on.

"He said this man was watching him," the girl recounted. "So he put his hoodie on, said he lost the man. I asked Trayvon to run, and he said he was going to walk fast, I told him to run but he said was not going to run."

But the man would catch up to Trayvon, she recalled.

"Trayvon said, 'What are you following me for?' and the man said, 'What are you doing here?' Next thing I hear is somebody pushing and somebody push Trayvon, because the headset just fell," she said. "I called him again and he didn't answer the phone."

Derwind

Wasn't Zimmerman wearing a hoodie as well? Correct me if I'm wrong(I'm not sure if he was).

Suspicious is as suspicious does....

Zoe

You didn't read any of this thread, did you? You just skipped right on up in this bitch and bothered not to GLANCE at any of the details huh? Which would've told you it was RAINING thus the need for a hoodie.

Furthermore I didn't realize Hoodies and hats provided some justification for being suspicious. I also didn't realize there was appropriate gear young black men, or anyone for that matter, needed to wear while out and about. PLEASE continue to shower me with your wisdom. PLEASE.

Did you just pop in? I've been with this thread since a day or two after it was posted.

It was just said right above you that he didn't have his hood on because of the rain.

And appropriate night gear for working out is light colors and reflective material.

Considering zimmerman was stalking him beforehand, I really don't think putting on a hoodie could be considered suspicious behavior in comparison.

no guys, when traveling through a neighborhood of families and predominantly elderly white people, you need to wear appropriate gear in order to avoid potentially getting shot down in cold blood.

Appropriate fucking gear. That's one for the ages right there.

It sounds a lot like what people say women should wear to avoid assault.

Onemic

Did you just pop in? I've been with this thread since a day or two after it was posted.

It was just said right above you that he didn't have his hood on because of the rain.

And appropriate night gear for working out is light colors and reflective material.

So I now know not to walk outside at night unless I'm working out and have reflective material on. Gotcha.

Zoe

no guys, when traveling through a neighborhood of families and predominantly elderly white people, you need to wear appropriate gear in order to avoid potentially getting shot down in cold blood.

Appropriate fucking gear. That's one for the ages right there.

Again: And appropriate night gear for working out is light colors and reflective material.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

Have you ever held a gun and a taser?

Also, the guy was complying, laying face down. There was no need to taser him.

It sounds a lot like what people say women should wear to avoid assault.

Right, all women should wear burqas after 9pm and 5:30 if in Daylight savings time to avoid being raped. If you wearing the appropriate gear you should be fine.

Again: And appropriate night gear for working out is light colors and reflective material.

Fuck I've been doing it wrong my whole life. I've always been an earth colors guy. No wonder I've had gangs of Zimmerman types shadowing me while walking to the store. I'll make sure I look like im running a fucking marathon next time I want to go pick up some skittles in a "family" neighborhood. Thanks Zoe!

Zoe

You really don't know how ridiculous you sound right now do you?

I'm going back to my bubble comment. Things do not exist in bubbles. I was listing a reason someone in a nice community may be out at night in the rain. Most people would chose to just stay home or drive. When they are out for exercise, proper safety dictates wearing light clothes and reflective material.

Zoe is a woman.

Then by all means, let HER continue! I'd like to hear what other useful information she has for those of us that choose to brave the trail of the local party store.

I'm going back to my bubble comment. Things do not exist in bubbles. I was listing a reason someone in a nice community may be out at night in the rain. When they are out for exercise, proper safety dictates wearing light clothes and reflective material.

The fuck does working out have to do with a kid being gunned down walking to a store for skittles and a tea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom