• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except the voice screaming out for help wasn't Zimmerman's...

Seriously this thread is a good measure of people who really want to insert their foot into their fucking mouth or display an incredible willful ignorance about the case and race relations within law enforcement and the US.

Oh you mean the witnesses who were told that it was actually the opposite of what they heard and saw?

Did you just pop in here thinking that wouldn't get called out. Have you read the thread? What do you think you'll accomplish?

the witnesses were doing handstands at the time is all...

BobLoblaw

Banned
Seriously this thread is a good measure of people who really want to insert their foot into their fucking mouth or display an incredible willful ignorance about the case and race relations within law enforcement and the US.
I'm basing this off of his mother's statement, who I assume knows what her child sounds like.

No one should have to fear wearing a hoodie in their own neighborhood, what the fuck? If someone finds that suspicious that's a fault on them, not the guy minding his own business.

Yeah, what gives anyone a right to question someone, or ultimately shoot someone just for 'looking suspicious'. I hope the vigilante gets a long jail sentence.

I am actually shocked that some people seem to think the shooter was at least partially in the right.

Imm0rt4l

What is your obsession with curb stomping?

I also like how Mr. I Am Against The Racist Agenda has invented about half a dozen scenarios for Zimmerman to claim his life was in danger, and casually glances over Trayvon Martin's right to self-defense.

This thread has been pretty sad the last couple of pages, aside from the random good news about Bill Lee being yanked for his biased ass remarks.

Probably his favorite scene from American History X.

Reallink

Have you asked yourself why you're white-knighting a racist murderer?

I mean, playing devil's advocate is usually harmless but this is a real, regular kid that was murdered by a guy who's 120 lbs heavier than him that aggressively pursued him for looking suspicious. Let's be real, he wasn't curb stomping anyone.

Maybe take a step back and reflect on yourself, seriously, because if you're not trolling than you really have deeper problems you should look into.

I'm only white knighting the fact that we don't really have the evidence to say this guys a racist or a murderer. You might say I'm really white knight for due process, but this thread is so ridiculously one sided, it can only look like I'm for Zimmerman. If it turns out he's both, that's great, your opinion turned out to be right just by happenstance. Zimmerman was absolutely in the wrong to pursue Traynor against 911's advice, and doubly wrong for getting out of the car to pursue. Neither of these actions make him a racist or a murder though--the details you are imagining, the gaps you are filling in in your mind is what makes him those things--not any actual facts or evidence. I have provided the details about why he's not necessarily these things many times. You're welcome to drudge them up. If you feel you can discount them with actual evidence and not suppositions, I'd love to read it.

coldfoot

Banned
I'm only white knighting the fact that we don't really have the evidence to say this guys a racist or a murderer.
WRONG! He talks about Travyon in the 911 call using a racial slur, so we have evidence that he's a racist. Murder will take more time but they'll indict him soon enough.

KodMoS

Banned
another one to add to my ever growing list

Someone didn't listen to the 911 call

Actually, I listened to the 911 tapes. You're just upset with the evidence that I'm presenting.

The fact still remains, the people on the 911 tape didn't see who was calling for help. However, the Witness states that he saw Trayvon on top of Zimmerman, and Zimmerman was the one crying for help. Add one to your ever growing list? Pay attention to the facts being presented, and don't hate the messenger because you choose to be biased.

Enzom21

I'm only white knighting the fact that we don't really have the evidence to say this guys a racist or a murderer. If it turns out he's both, that's great, your opinion turned out to be right just by happenstance. Zimmerman was absolutely in the wrong to pursue Traynor against 911's advice, and doubly wrong for getting out of the car to pursue Neither of these actions make him a racist or a murder though--the details you are imagining, the gaps you are filling in in your mind is what makes him those things--not any actual facts or evidence. I have provided the details about why he's not necessarily these things many times. You're welcome to drudge them up. If you feel you can discount them with actual evidence and not suppositions, I'd love to read it.

Really?! Weren't you the one suggesting that Trayvon was a fucking gang member out on some gang initiation? Why are you still shitting up this thread with your nonsense?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The fact still remains, the people on the 911 tape didn't see who was calling for help. However, the Witness states that he saw Trayvon on top of Zimmerman, and Zimmerman was the one crying for help. Add one to your ever growing list? Pay attention to the facts being presented, and don't hate the messenger because you choose to be biased.

You missed the part where the police 'corrected' witnesses at the scene.

Reallink

WRONG! He talks about Travyon in the 911 call using a racial slur, so we have evidence that he's a racist. Murder will take more time but they'll indict him soon enough.

The tapes were considered unintelligible last I saw with one side saying he says "coons" and the other side saying he says "punks"

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I'm only white knighting the fact that we don't really have the evidence to say this guys a racist or a murderer. You might say I'm really white knight for due process, but this thread is so ridiculously one sided, it can only look like I'm for Zimmerman. If it turns out he's both, that's great, your opinion turned out to be right just by happenstance. Zimmerman was absolutely in the wrong to pursue Traynor against 911's advice, and doubly wrong for getting out of the car to pursue. Neither of these actions make him a racist or a murder though--the details you are imagining, the gaps you are filling in in your mind is what makes him those things--not any actual facts or evidence. I have provided the details about why he's not necessarily these things many times. You're welcome to drudge them up. If you feel you can discount them with actual evidence and not suppositions, I'd love to read it.
If you're going to trivialize this kids death at least get his name right.

akira28

I'm only white knighting the fact that we don't really have the evidence to say this guys a racist or a murderer. You might say I'm really white knight for due process.

Sure man. Almost a month after his death, with the police finding no evidence of wrong doing and all but closing their investigation, after withholding the 911 calls and any other details, with it taking popular outcry, social media movement, and a news media blitz to get the FBI involved and a grand jury started, due process was really on the ball with this one. Keep fighting that good fight.

KodMoS

Banned
You missed the part where the police 'corrected' witnesses at the scene.

I didn't miss that part. Either way, if this case goes to trial, he may stick to his testimony or claim that the police corrected him. Right now, that's his statement and we cannot deny it unless proven otherwise.

Reallink

Really?! Weren't you the one suggesting that Trayvon was a fucking gang member out on some gang initiation? Why are you still shitting up this thread with your nonsense?

I really didn't, but I'm the racist villain of the thread, so yea I did.

GQman2121

Banned
Nightly News on nbc are running a piece right now.

Reallink has become the second person I've ever put on ignore. Get a grip guy.....

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It was your first or second post in the thread.

People aren't gonna just up and forget how you go from black young male to gangs right off the bat.

Plus the whole 'tazer could be mistaken for gun' thing.

You should just leave, your very first post out the fucking gate was talking about gang members because the victim in the case was black. Why you even came the fuck back in to put your foot further down your throat with your recent posts I have no idea.

As or right now, there is only one eye-witness that supports Zimmerman's story that he was the one crying for help before he shot Trayvon.

Also, why would a large man with a gun and no compunctions against firing it cry for help when faced with an unarmed kid? Who's going to come help him, and what could they do that he can't already do for himself? Namely shoot the kid dead?

Which witnesses and what about their testimonies did the police correct?

Link:
But after the shooting, a source inside the police department told ABC News that a narcotics detective and not a homicide detective first approached Zimmerman. The detective pepppered Zimmerman with questions, the source said, rather than allow Zimmerman to tell his story. Questions can lead a witness, the source said.

Another officer corrected a witness after she told him that she heard the teen cry for help.

The officer told the witness, a long-time teacher, it was Zimmerman who cried for help, said the witness. ABC News has spoken to the teacher and she confirmed that the officer corrected her when she said she heard the teenager shout for help.

Loudninja

Damn I wish some people do research about the case before they come in here it argue.

Seeing it being explain piece by piece over and over again is annoying.

I just listened to the 911 call...I can not understand how anyone can defend Zimmerman. He's a cold blooded murderer that needs to be removed from society and all those cops need to be let go and never allowed back on the police force.

Korey

Watch this:

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/20/neighbor-trayvon-martin-shooting-wasnt-self-defense/?hpt=ac_t2

Anderson Cooper interview with the neighbors.

Neighbors had window open so they could hear everything, they ran to it the moment the gunshot went off, they found Zimmerman straddling Trayvon's body with his hands on Trayvon's back. Trayvon was face down.

So they don't believe it was self defense.

They didn't hear any fighting at all, and the "altercation" started a few doors down and ended where they found the body.

KodMoS

Banned
Also, why would a large man with a gun and no compunctions against firing it cry for help when faced with an unarmed kid? Who's going to come help him, and what could they do that he can't already do for himself? Namely shoot the kid dead?

He can cry for help if he's on his back and when Trayvon is on top of him.

I really doubt Zimmerman would have approached Trayvon if he wasn't for this stupid "stand your grand law." I believe he approached Trayvon thinking he could just shoot him if anything went wrong..

Even though Zimmerman may have the one crying for help, there are still things that are unclear.

1 - Who pushed who first when Martin was on the phone with her girlfriend.
Note: Trayvon had every right to defend himself. It was dark and a guy was following him when Trayvon was trying to escape.

2 - A 13 year old Witness saw an altercation, but then they were on the ground separated from each other.

Zimmerman may have started crying for help when Martin got the upper hand after they were both separated.

Onemic

Actually, I listened to the 911 tapes. You're just upset with the evidence that I'm presenting.

Zimmerman sounds like a child confirmed. The fact that you are dismissing the fact that the pd changed a witnesses report of what happened speaks volumes.

EDIT: I guess you're going to dismiss that Anderson Cooper interview too?

Enzom21

I don't know the specifics of the case, or whether the two actually got into a physical altercation, but these are foolish assumptions to make without actually seeing those involved. I'm pushing 30, 6', and weigh 135 lbs. A 17 year old "kid" could definitely beat my ass and curb stomp my head. Most 17yo "kids" are for all intents and purposes full grown adults, many of whom weight train and condition for sports. The black guy could have been a lineman on the football team for all we know. It's beyond stupid to say "oh, this guy was in his 20's, there's no way a 17yo posed a thread". You realize most of the gangbangers that go around beating people to death for fun are in their teens, right? And no, I'm not defending the (possibly) racist douche (I have no idea of the details of the case), I was simply correcting your weak argument.
Yeah you did. That nonsense had nothing to do with this story, that was just your own made up racist theory.

Old?

Stand Your Ground authors: Trayvon Martin’s shooter should likely be charged, avoid immunity.

The authors of Florida’s controversial Stand Your Ground law say the killer of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin probably should be arrested and doesn’t deserve immunity under the statute.

The comments from the Republican lawmakers came the same day state Sen. Oscar Braynon, D-Miami Gardens, urged the Florida Conference of Black State Legislators to call for the law to be repealed, amended or subject to legislative hearings. Trayvon’s mother lives in Braynon’s district.

But the lawmakers who crafted the legislation in 2005 — former Sen. Durell Peaden and current state Rep. Dennis Baxley — said the law doesn’t need to be changed. They believe it has been misapplied in the shooting death of Trayvon by a Sanford crime-watch captain, George Zimmerman.

“They got the goods on him. They need to prosecute whoever shot the kid,” said Peaden, a Crestview Republican who sponsored the deadly force law in 2005. “He has no protection under my law.”

Peaden and Baxley, R-Ocala, say their law is a self-defense act. It says law-abiding people have no duty to retreat from an attacker and can meet “force with force.” Nowhere does it say that a person has a right to confront another.

The 911 tapes strongly suggest Zimmerman overstepped his bounds, they say, when the Sanford neighborhood crime-watch captain said he was following Trayvon and appeared to ignore a police request to stay away.

“The guy lost his defense right then,” said Peaden. “When he said ‘I’m following him,’ he lost his defense.”

KHarvey16

Was she the only witness who this happened to? Influencing a statement like that is obviously not what the officer should do, but if the motivation to correct the woman stemmed from other eyewitnesses as opposed to his or her own personal sense(or desire) regarding what happened that's an important detail.

Note: Trayvon had every right to defend himself. It was dark and a guy was following him when Trayvon was trying to escape.

I think this is a point that's not being raised enough with all the Zimmerman self-defense arguments. When you have been followed by someone, and then cornered and accosted, you clearly have a right to 'Stand Your Ground'. Surely this would then give Martin every right to 'be on top' of Zimmerman, no?

KodMoS

Banned
Zimmerman sounds like a child confirmed. The fact that you are dismissing the fact that the pd changed a witnesses report of what happened speaks volume.s.

I'm not dismissing anything, you're just denying the obvious. A Witness clearly states he saw Trayvon on top of Zimmerman, and Zimmerman was the one ask for help. As this Witness was going up stairs to call the police, he heard a gunshot. That collaborate with Zimmerman's story.

Now did the police change this Witness report, or the woman's report? Again, there is nothing that suggest the police asked him to change his story. This Witness gave his testimony to a reporter. Only way this might be proven false is if he goes under oat and claims that he police asked him to change his story. But again, you're just assuming something with little support.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
He can cry for help if he's on his back and when Trayvon is on top of him.

I really doubt Zimmerman would have approached Trayvon if he wasn't for this stupid "stand your grand law." I believe he approached Trayvon thinking he could just shoot him if anything went wrong..

Even though Zimmerman may have the one crying for help, there are still things that are unclear.

1 - Who pushed who first when Martin was on the phone with her girlfriend.

2 - A 13 year old Witness saw an altercation, but then they were on the ground separated from each other.

Zimmerman may have started crying for help when Martin got the upper hand after they were both separated.

Oh come on. The yells sounded like a kid crying. Do you seriously think Zimmerman would be crying like that? Get the hell out of here. The crying stopped immediately after the bang.

I'm really appalled by some of you. Absolutely disgusting.

I think this is a point that's not being raised enough with all the Zimmerman self-defense arguments. When you have been followed by someone, and then cornered and accosted, you clearly have a right to 'Stand Your Ground'. Surely this would then give Martin every right to 'be on top' of Zimmerman, no?

Yes, if a reasonable person would think so. We know from Martin's girlfriend that Martin was placed in fear of Zimmerman by Zimmerman's following Martin, and that Martin even tried to escape the situation by running. If, at the point Zimmerman relocated and approached Martin, a reasonable person in Martin's position could believe that Zimmerman was going to use force against him imminently (regardless of whether Zimmerman did use force or even what Zimmerman's actual intentions were, which is irrelevant to this analysis), then Martin had acquired under Florida law a right to stand his ground and use force against Zimmerman. So even if Martin used force against Zimmerman first, it does not mean that Zimmerman had any right to self-defense under Florida law.

KodMoS

Banned
EDIT: I guess you're going to dismiss that Anderson Cooper interview too?

*sigh*

You really have to think about this. Witnesses in their home only heard someone yell for help, they didn't see it. The man that gave that interview to the reporter said he saw Trayvon on top of Zimmerman, and he was the one calling for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom