• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudninja

Geraldo: My Own Son Is 'Ashamed' Of My Hoodie Quote
How bad is the backlash against Geraldo Rivera for blaming Trayvon Martin's shooting death on his choice of clothing? His own son is piling on.

"My own son just wrote to say he's ashamed of my position re hoodies [sic]," Rivera tweeted on Friday. "Still I feel parents must do whatever they can to keep their kids safe."

Still, even some tough love from his family wouldn't deter him from his mission to convince black and latino youth to stay away from sweatshirts.

"It's not blaming the victim Its common sense-look like a gangsta&some armed schmuck will take you at your word," he added.
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/geraldo-my-own-son-is-ashamed-of-my

LuchaShaq

Banned
Practically everyone at my college was wearing a hoodie in January. I feared for my life, until I realized that I was also wearing a hoodie. Then I had to fight the strong urges to stab someone.

Studies show 98.1% of KKK members have worn sneakers at some point in their life.

Hey white people be careful of wearing sneakers because people might think you're part of a racist organization!!!

Hoodies are gangster attire now? When a white man wears a business suit should I assume he's a mobster? Geraldo you ass....
well...do they work on Wall Street? Because if so,

icRiQHwypbBWn.gif

Derwind

I might need to buy the manual on appropriate attire that won't get you chased, shot & killed... I plan on travelling in the future, I don't want to find myself drowning in a pool of my own blood because I was wearing a Toque while carrying a Mars bar without license.....

lol at hoodies being robber attire now.

Only if you're black. Keep that in mind.

Rivera grasping at straws, trying his damndest to make the situation seem less horrible than it is. I don't understand why this is a partisan issue. A kid was killed in a gated community. He happened to be black. Why can't everone just agree that it's horrible and that it needs to be investigated further? Why must one side be so dead-set in thinking there's a reason this happened that can be blamed on the victim, because he must have done something wrong?

This confounds me. You're never safe. In this country, a neighborhood watchman can roll up on you and blow your brains out, claim self defense, and authorities will refuse to look into it deeper than that. This happened once and it could happen to any one of you...assuming you "look like a criminal" and "have it coming".

verbum

At least the police chief did the right thing and took a leave of absence to avoid being a distraction.
And I thought the DA decided to charge people, not the police chief. The fact they took this long tells me the evidence is very vague.
I hope this doesn't end up with Zimmerman getting life or the death penalty. I just don't think he intended to shoot someone. His father's letter put it best, "tragic … and very sad for all concerned. The Martin family, our family and the entire community have been forever changed."
Too much overreaction by the media and folks who know little but their own opinion.

In an hour: Geraldo: My Own Son Is 'Ashamed' Of My Response to his being 'Ashamed' of My Hoodie Quote

I love his response is more or less to double-down.

Pretty much.

Still, even some tough love from his family wouldn't deter him from his mission to convince black and latino youth to stay away from sweatshirts.

"It's not blaming the victim Its common sense-look like a gangsta&some armed schmuck will take you at your word," he added.

Him and Fox News are simply pitiful. Can't believe people take time to watch that crap. Jersey Shore would be more intellectually stimulating.

smurfx

get some go again
At least the police chief did the right thing and took a leave of absence to avoid being a distraction.
And I thought the DA decided to charge people, not the police chief. The fact they took this long tells me the evidence is very vague.
I hope this doesn't end up with Zimmerman getting life or the death penalty. I just don't think he intended to shoot someone. His father's letter put it best, "tragic … and very sad for all concerned. The Martin family, our family and the entire community have been forever changed."
Too much overreaction by the media and folks who know little but their own opinion.
meh at least zimmerman is still alive but the martins will never see their son again.

I had seen a news report about this last night. The police chief resigning? How Zimmerman is in hiding and was advised not to come back out into public by the local police. That and the fact that the new black panther group was insinuating that they'd take it in their own hands if something doesn't happen.

DominoKid

eh...geraldo's comments are a little sketch...
but i get where he's coming from as someone who has been raised to at least be conscious the perception/image my attire could send.
he just expressed it very, very poorly.

i cant remember how many times i wanted something and my parents nixed it cause "it makes you look like a thug/criminal/etc"
in plain english, they didnt want me to get negatively stereotyped just because of my race & attire.
(edit: it still happens, but i dont give it much air)

not to say that a hoodie gives off that image 100% of the time
or to say that it justifies what zimmerman did
but to me, i can understand where geraldo is coming from.

its just sad and unfortunate that in 2012 we still have to be mindful of these things.

my 0.02

VAPitts

your being sarcastic right?

A guy carries around a loaded gun, chases someone with it, pulls it out and shoots them with it... but he didn't really intend to use it.

Sure.

coldfoot

Banned
I'm pretty sure his stance on rape is that girls who show a lot of skin are asking for it. He'd probably get support on that stance, actually.
And if they're pregnant after being raped, he'll say it's murder to abort the child.
So if you wear skimpy clothing, you'll have to carry a child for 9 months and go through childbirth...

sangreal

It was only referred to the DA a few days ago and he is convening a Grand Jury.

The Chief is criticized because of the incompetent "investigation" the police conducted.

It sounds like you actually know little but your own opinion.

VAPitts

It was only referred to the DA a few days ago and he is convening a Grand Jury.

The Chief is criticized because of the incompetent "investigation" the police conducted.

it's obvious this guy (the one your quoting) read what he wanted out of the article *smh*

Karkador

Banned
not to say that a hoodie gives off that image 100% of the time
or to say that it justifies what zimmerman did
but to me, i can understand where geraldo is coming from.

its just sad and unfortunate that in 2012 we still have to be mindful of these things.

my 0.02

Are you sure? Because he basically said "if you're black or hispanic, you shouldn't do anything to make you more suspicious". It was a racist comment, nevermind how out-of-touch with reality he sounds for thinking that a hoodie automatically raises red flags that "are as responsible for Treyvon's death as Zimmerman".

He even goes on to cite the Juan Williams NPR thing ("When I see a Muslim in an airport, I get afraid") as somehow justifying his position. This is more than just an old man yelling at a cloud, it's bigotry.

DominoKid

Are you sure? Because he basically said "if you're black or hispanic, you shouldn't do anything to make you more suspicious". It was a racist comment, nevermind how out-of-touch with reality he sounds for thinking that a hoodie automatically paints you as a criminal.

He even goes on to cite the Juan Williams NPR thing ("When I see a Muslim in an airport, I get afraid") as somehow justifying his position. This is more than just an old man yelling at a cloud, it's bigotry.

speaking from experience, a lot of black parents teach their kids the same thing to varying levels of awareness.
its the unfortunate reality of being black in america. theres just certain shit you have to deal with.

see: this example
although its more radical than anything i was ever taught growing up.

Ploid 3.0

College kids will have to give up their whole comfortable sweat pants, sweater/hoodie attire. Especially if they get cheap ones for being in sports/R.O.T.C. programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom