• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
If he approached him and asked questions you feel he should be arrested for this? And again, you assume he was told to stay put.
Its not an assumption.

No 911 call OR non-emergency op is gonna tell someone "go check it out , Bruce, this one looks fishy".

You're the one assuming here.

It never would've even got that far if the cape wasn't on and the guy listened to emergency personnel. That's why he should AT LEAST be in cuffs and not chilling at home.
It also would haven never happened if there was no Neighborhood watch to begin with, or if the kid didn't leave his house, or if that community wasn't built, or if guns never existed. Where does your laughable standard of guilt end?

If the kid had pulled out his own gun and shot the NW guy in the face when he approached him, is the NW guy guilty of his own murder? Oops, it looks like you are accidentally supporting extreme Castle Doctrine with your logic.

Its not an assumption.

No 911 call OR non-emergency op is gonna tell someone "go check it out , Bruce, this one looks fishy".

I'm expecting someone to step in and explain what an assumption is, but they are all probably enjoying the irony too much.

KHarvey16

Bu bu bu I can't let this kid just walk about of my neighborhood, he must have raped someone or stolen something.

Seriously Harvey give me a fucking break.

Why is no one reading what I write? Nothing I have said even approaches your bit of hyperbole there.

Does the man approaching the kid to ask questions prevent him from defending himself if he were legally justified in doing so?

This guy is probably going to jail if he got out of the car to confront the kid. But in Florida if someone tries to fight you or act in any way physically aggressive towards you the "stand your ground" law allows you to kill them. Even if you can get away from the confrontation you dont have to. Could be why it is taking so long for the guy to get charged.

See section 3.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.013.html

I don't see any other reason for him to get out of the car than to confront the kid.

And what a fucking stupid law. To me its like going into a bar and just being a douche until someone has had enough and wants to fight. You let him beat on you awhile then pull out this gun he never knew you had and put one in his head. Hey self defense, dude was beating me up.

If he doesn't get arrested for this, I hope someone gives this vigilante a taste of his own medicine.

Lrn2 logic.

The man shouldn't have approached him. That is agreed upon. But him approaching the boy only matters in potential charges based on the rest of the details.

-If he pulled the gun out or started a physical altercation, then it's not self-defense and that initial contact being made is material to the charges.
-If he walked up to the boy and just said something like "Do you live here?" or similar, and the boy initiated physical contact/threats, then him approaching the boy is inconsequential to whether or not this is self-defense.

Sorry but I hate seeing people be smug when seeming to imply something as naively simplistic as "whoever approaches the other person is the aggressor".

You know, it's a damn shame that "lrn2read" has fallen out of fashion. If ever it was warranted...

But Zimmerman was the one who started to confrontation, so the kid should have killed him.

We dont know for sure what happened yet. If he got out of the car to confront the kid then he is going to jail for sure.

The point of my post was that this law is very broad and makes it difficult to prosecute people who kill someone during a confrontation, and that could be why Zimmerman hasnt been charged yet. They are taking extra time to gather evidence to be sure the charges stick.

http://www2.tbo.com/news/news/2012/feb/20/stand-your-ground-law-faces-another-court-test-ar-360570/

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/article1128317.ece

Log4Girlz

Everyone knows that if the kid was white people on here would not be raging as hard as they are especially considering how little information actually exists.

We would be arguing about shooting people in the knee and what not. Remember that taser death thread? Girl was white.

Not everyone. Look above you sir.

Why do you guys keep trying to be intentionally dense or has the RACIAL HATE CRIME gotten in the way? Is it a hate crime to approach someone? It is a hate crime to argue with someone?

Because that's ALL we know what happened before the shot took place. So i don't know how you are getting racially motivated shooting from approaching someone.

KHarvey16

Its not an assumption.

So your argument is in fact that you are prohibited from doing anything the police do not explicitly instruct. You aren't making sense.

Oh man earlier when I read it i thought that some crime had happened in the neighborhood prompting Zimmerman to think Marin was suspicious. But now I see he just assumed he was suspicious. Wow.

Jangocube

Banned
With the amount of pages this thread has, I knew it had to be about race. Not saying the situation is messed up, but I'd wish people would move past all this race shit. So stupid.

Why do you guys keep trying to be intentionally dense or has the RACIAL HATE CRIME gotten in the way? Is it a hate crime to approach someone? It is a hate crime to argue with someone?

Because that's ALL we know what happened before the shot took place. So i don't know how you are getting racially motivated shooting from approaching someone.

I know that we heard a lot about this captain stopping random white kids walking around the neighborhood. Oh wait.

DY_nasty

Everyone knows that if the kid was white people on here would not be raging as hard as they are especially considering how little information actually exists.

I've brought up race one time. Because its a fact that a black person in a nice neighborhood simply looks out of place to damn near all of America.

I'm not calling it a hate crime. I'm calling it vigilante action.

The kid is walking. Neighborhood Watch calls police, 911, or non-emergency. He ignores the one thing those people always say in "whatever you do, don't put yourself in danger". Neighborhood Watch gets out of his car and confronts the kid - going against everything Neighborhood Watch is about. IRRELEVANT INFO REGARDING MURDER/HATE CRIMES/SELF-DEFENSE/RAPIN OUR WOMENZ/MANSLAUGHTER HERE.

I'm not even talking about that shit in the caps.

That's all the information you need to see that this guy was took matters into his own hands and it led directly to a kid being shot and killed. He has to be at least arrested. That's all I'm asking for at the moment - because the other information is sparse.

Why is no one reading what I write? Nothing I have said even approaches your bit of hyperbole there.

Does the man approaching the kid to ask questions prevent him from defending himself if he were legally justified in doing so?
Since your argument is "We don't know if he's guilty because we don't have all the facts", then the counter-argument would be "We know he's guilty because we do have all the facts". Since that obviously doesn't make sense, the people who have made up their minds have to resort to pretending that you're saying he's innocent. Otherwise they can't argue against your brazen refusal to wield your pitchfork just yet.

You know, it's a damn shame that "lrn2read" has fallen out of fashion. If ever it was warranted...
Please, don't dance around it, tell me.

matt360

What a shitty thing to read about first thing in the morning. This story is infuriating and I can't imagine that if the child was white and the night watchman was black things wouldn't have played out quite differently. Specifically, the watchman would be in jail. I really feel for this kid and his family, and I hope Zimmerman faces justice.

Also, just so you guys know, Florida isn't all bad.

Oh man earlier when I read it i thought that some crime had happened in the neighborhood prompting Zimmerman to think Marin was suspicious. But now I see he just assumed he was suspicious. Wow.

Most overzealous neighborhood watch ever. I wonder if the dude actually wears a costume.

Cat Party

Racial motivation is relevant if it's a hate crime.

His crime being getting out of his car and questioning the kid? That's about all we can discern happened. Anything more is a assumption for how this all went down. You're making the same irresponsible assumptions as most in this thread because you already bought the line from the OP that this was just a racist old man pulling a gun on a random black kid. We've gotten more information since then, and it's not so clear cut anymore. The thing is, you may be totally right. This old man could have confronted the kid, gotten physical with him, and then shot him during the altercation. Or he could have confronted the kid, and the kid could have started beating the old man up, such that the old man shot the kid. No one in this thread knows what happened, and there are plenty of ways for it to have gone down. Yet those of us who caution against these wild assumptions get roasted for it.

EDIT:

Since your argument is "We don't know if he's guilty because we don't have all the facts", then the counter-argument would be "We know he's guilty because we do have all the facts". Since that obviously doesn't make sense, the people who have made up their minds have to resort to pretending that you're saying he's innocent.

Exactly.

You know what would have happened if he left that guy alone? Nothing except his brother getting his skittles.

Bingo ...

And I don't give a damn if the kid DID start the fight. Bringing a hand gun to a fist fight and then shooting someone because you're getting your ass kicked is still murder as far as I'm concerned. Unless the kid was beating the Mr. Neighborhood watch to near death, I can't think of a scenario in which he was justified.

Unfortunately, from what I understand, racist profiling isn't considered a "hate crime".

Edit : I'm assuming that it offends a civil liberty or two though. Probably Equal protection.

I know that we heard a lot about this captain stopping random white kids walking around the neighborhood. Oh wait.

I guess the hasn't been arrested in over a month part keeps escaping you. Why isn't Obama sending the FBI and National Guard to his house? After all a racially motivated hate crime murder has been committed in cold blood and he WALKS FREE.

quit assuming

Unfortunately, from what I understand, racist profiling isn't considered a "hate crime".

So he racially profiled with his gun and shot the suspicious black kid because out of the 5 or 6 kids around him he was the only black one?

And no, "Racial Profiling" in the form of walking up to someone and confronting/talking to them is not a hate crime. I'm sorry.

With the amount of pages this thread has, I knew it had to be about race. Not saying the situation is messed up, but I'd wish people would move past all this race shit. So stupid.

It's hard to when you've got idiots denying the kid was approached for being black when that seems to very much be the case here

Bingo ...

And I don't give a damn if the kid DID start the fight. Bringing a hand gun to a fist fight and then shooting someone because you're getting your ass kicked is still murder as far as I'm concerned. Unless the kid was beating the Mr. Neighborhood watch to near death, I can't think of a scenario in which he was justified.

And had he been beating him to near death, there should be known evidence of that.

DY_nasty

So your argument is in fact that you are prohibited from doing anything the police do not explicitly instruct. You aren't making sense.

When you ignore police and the next time the police are called its over a dead kid that you're responsible for - you get cuffed. He may be perfectly within the laws of self defense as you say, but that should be decided after he's held.

You're just arguing devils advocate to pass the time while your brownies cook, I understand, but geez dude.

DaMan121

This story is pulled straight out of the 50s/60s. It is frustrating for some that this is still happening.

The funny thing is, if the race of the killer and the killed were reversed, we'd see people in this thread complaining that if the race of the killer and the killed were reversed, there would be a national outcry and the killer would never see the light of day again (because reverse-racism).

Please, don't dance around it, tell me.

Sure thing, sweetie. I didn't make any assumptions. What I said was:

In any case, this is a determination that should be made by a jury, not Officer Fucking Krupke.

DY_nasty

This story is pulled straight out of the 50s/60s. It is frustrating for some that this is still happening.

Its frustrating that people think its reasonable that he wasn't even arrested... what in the fuck man...

Its frustrating that people think its reasonable that he wasn't even arrested... what in the fuck man...

Or that he wasn't even motivated to stop this kid due to his race. What planet am I on. Nothing would have happened if his racist fucking ass stayed in that car.

I'm not calling it a hate crime. I'm calling it vigilante action.

Heck it might have been a hate crime, could have been cold blooded murder. For the moment however there is just far too details.

Approaching the young kid and making contact is perfectly fine. What determines if this man is guilty of manslaughter , murder or was justified in using deadly force for self defense. Is his reasoning for pulling out his gun and planting a single shot to the kids chest.

Sadly this detail is not known at the time which is why everyone here should just chill out for a second and wait for more info to be released before we condemn the man.

Onemic

So Kharvey, you believe the guy that shot the kid did it in self defense? or are you just playing devils advocate for the hell of it? If the former, you really believe a situation would have occurred where the man would feel his life was so threatened that the only option was to shoot him? A kid that only had the intention of buying skittles, leaving the neighborhood watch guy as the only person who could have started a confrontation with the boy, knowing full well he was told not to?(that is the police dept was dumb and didn't tell him that) That it makes sense that he wasn't even arrested at the very least?

J.ceaz

This is for you neighborhood watch gaffers. If you stop me in the street in the middle of the night and try to grill me about who I am and why I'm here I will tell you to go fuck yourself and keep it pushing. If you try and stop me I'm fucking decking you period. That's what I imagine happened. You guys need to acknowledge that confronting a fucking stranger in the middle of the night for anything other than asking the time or something is begging to start a fight.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/08/family-of-trayvon-martin-_n_1332756.html
“For some reason he felt that Trayvon, the way that he was walking or appeared seemed suspicious to him,” Lee said. “He called this in and at one part of this initial call [the dispatcher] recommends him not to follow Trayvon. A police officer is on the way at that point.”

Lee said that Zimmerman instead followed Martin.

“I believe that Mr. Zimmerman was trying to, by his account, find an address to give the officers and also trying to keep Trayvon in eyesight.”

Zimmerman told the police that Martin noticed that he was being followed and asked, “what’s your problem?”

That's when a physical confrontation ensued, Lee said. And moments later, Martin was shot.

DY_nasty

Or that he wasn't even motivated to stop this kid due to his race. What planet am I on. Nothing would have happened if his racist fucking ass stayed in that car.

Seriously. To think that black people in nice neighborhoods don't get those looks is just willful ignorance. Plain and simple.

Combine that with the fact that this guy doesn't even get arrested, and yeah, its just LOOKS really fucked up.

And I'm being really, really conservative about this too. In even the best case scenario, he's batman. And that gets you put in jail. I'm not even harping on the racial shit (yet).

Chief Bill Lee of the Sanford Police Department on Thursday evening said the account given by Martin’s family and attorney is correct, that Zimmerman saw the young man walking home from the store. He said that Zimmerman did indeed call 911 and report a suspicious person, and that he was told not to follow him.

Just had to point out who Lee was, to quell the "this is only the black kid's lawyer saying all this!!!" crowd.

DY_nasty

No one has said that. Stopping is not the same as murdering. How does this mix up keep happening?

Because he created the confrontation against the *gasp* recommendation of police. As neighborhood watch, you're opening up a big ass can of worms when you think you're above the law

And it was 911 too? Fucking hell man.

Seriously. To think that black people in nice neighborhoods don't get those looks is just willful ignorance. Plain and simple.

Combine that with the fact that this guy doesn't even get arrested, and yeah, its just LOOKS really fucked up.

And I'm being really, really conservative about this too. In even the best case scenario, he's batman. And that gets you put in jail. I'm not even harping on the racial shit (yet).

Irony of all ironies if the kid thought he was getting mugged since the dude had a gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom