• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu July 14 (DQ9 review)

xfactor said:
Did they just announced 3 Pokemon Mystery Dungeon titles for Wii? =/

WiiWare. 1200 Points each. August 4th.

Keep Going! Blazing Adventure Squad.

Let's Go! Stormy Adventure Squad.

Go For It! Light Adventure Squad.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I just saw the Valkyria Chronicles scan.

pleasedontturnthisintoschooldramapleasedontturnthi sintoschooldramapleasedontturnthisintoschooldramapleasedontturnthisintoschooldramapleasedontturnthi sintoschooldramapleasedontturnthisintoschooldrama

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Regulus Tera said:
I just saw the Valkyria Chronicles scan.

pleasedontturnthisintoschooldramapleasedontturnthi sintoschooldramapleasedontturnthisintoschooldramapleasedontturnthisintoschooldramapleasedontturnthi sintoschooldramapleasedontturnthisintoschooldrama

:lol

was famitsu ever going to give this game anything other than 10/10/10?

you know, i used to sweat japan for its games. but those dudes really suck right now.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
It was more of a general observation of Famitsu than any comment on DQIX in particular. Square Enix and massively hyped games tend to get better scores than they deserve. Unknown franchises tend to get the shaft.

Yeah, don't pay attention to the Famitsu review.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to their perfect scores. Even though, just like Edge, they seem to have cropped up more frequently than they have before, with a total as small as 10 you'd imagine there'd still be a certain level of editorial pride over the score. Also the story is that there is a score, I think it's 38 or 39, that seems to be given to highly hyped games regardless of quality. That next step to fully selling out the top spot isn't something that it seems like they'd take lightly. (If they had there'd be even more of them)

Also, on a different tack, when questioning a perfect score the more controversial it is (not that this applies directly to DQ9) the more likely that the opinion is genuine, surely. I haven't played that Wii game, I think it's a sound novel, or something - but seeing as it's just some Sega published game that nobody was expecting, the perfect score is harder to throw the moneyhats accusation at.

That's the thing, you get into two separate strains of argument when talking about Famitsu either they're insane and out of touch because they give Nintendogs a perfect score, or they're paid off because they gave a recent sonic game a high score.

The first argument is just disagreeing with opinion, that's fine but nothing to get upset about. The second is a whole other murky issue that gets oversimplified by people. The two issues then get conflated into a whole other thing that's hard to sift through.

My whole point is that a 40/40 for DQIX probably means that they thought it was a pretty good game. They feel fine highly recommending it to you.

jiggle

Hcoregamer00 said:
Just be happy they did not keep the franchise to one game

oh of course
hell a portable version will get more playtime out of me than a console one
but that don't mean i don't want both :D

Zihark

Barkley's Justice said:
was famitsu ever going to give this game anything other than 10/10/10?

you know, i used to sweat japan for its games. but those dudes really suck right now.
Uh, this is the first DQ to ever get all 10s, so yeah it could've gotten the usual 36-39/40 scores that big gaming series usually get.

Vinnk

Will buy VC2 (I would buy it on ANY system), but I would have liked it better on a console. Not a huge fan of the analog nub or the loading times on that system. But I am prepared (and hoping) for SEGA to surprise me on this one.

As I said I am day 1 for this game. But I would gladly double dip if it comes out on PS3 later on (or a quick and dirty port to the Wii and PS2)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
hmm

No, Valkyria Chronicles Isn't Coming to PSP - Sega

Dated: Wed Jul 16 2008

Kotaku said:
When Sony showed off Sega's Valkyria Chronicles as part of its upcoming PSP line-up, alongside titles like Resistance: Retribution and LocoRoco 2, we thought.... "Wait. Valkyria Chronicles? For the PSP?!" It was, inarguably, the best looking PSP game on display.

The reason for that is that Valkyria Chronicles is a PlayStation 3 title. Chalk its appearance at Sony's E3 media briefing up to a massive blunder on Sony's part. Sega president Simon Jeffery sounded none too pleased about the flub when we talked to him earlier today and hinted that Sony was on the receiving of serious tongue-lashing from the publisher. Oops!

why do you lie to us, Sega?

What on Earth is the Wii game on page 202?

I made out the text as トメナサンナーWii, Google translated it as TOMENASANNA Wii. Google search didn't bring up anything.

lupin23rd

How low do you guys think the DQ9 scores would have been had they kept in an action game.

I mean... they DID change that right?

:lol

Paznos

VC2????@!!!!!! WOW awesome !!!!

On the PSP!!!? that's the shocker.... interesting now to track down those scans.

scy

Valkyria 2 = HURRAH
PSP = Fuck
I don't have a PSP :(

And is anyone really that surprised at a perfect on DQ9?

Enron

Banned
VC2 announced!
2w57sc2.gif

Magazine Scans!
fz0u4p.gif

Vinnk

scy said:
And is anyone really that surprised at a perfect on DQ9?

I am. I was expecting high scores, like 37 or 38 but with the controversial platform choice and everything (and also considering no DQ game has EVER gotten a perfect) I was a bit surprised. Not shocked, but surprised.

yankee666

I really dont know why some people keep saying "is anyone surprised at 40 score", "are you people expected anything other that 10/10/10/10?".
Sure i was expecting a score between 36-39/40, but let me remind you that in more than 20 years and over thousands and thousands of games only 10 games including DQIX, got perfect score. So yeah a PERFECT score from Famitsu is not something that you expect from any game, even the more hyped games, regardless that a Famitsu score is really relevant to anyone or not

scy

Vinnk said:
I am. I was expecting high scores, like 37 or 38 but with the controversial platform choice and everything (and also considering no DQ game has EVER gotten a perfect) I was a bit surprised. Not shocked, but surprised.

True, as well as the other points brought up on there only being 10 perfects so far. To be honest, the only thing that would've really surprised me for a score here is if it was in the lower 30s or below.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
AzureJericho said:
I saw the new stuff for Valkryia Chronicles 2 on another forum and could instantly hear some of the stuff a lot of folks here would say about it, especially about it being on PSP and the new style change.

Needless to say, GAF didn't disappoint. :lol

The hyperbole about the game is just sad.

It is VC2, and we are getting it for better or for worse.

If you wanted a game more like VC1, then maybe they should have bought 10,000 copies of the original iteration.

billy.sea

Banned
Isn't it crazy that this is the first Dragon Quest to get perect score?
As for Monster Hunter 3 I think it will get around 36-37.

Hcoregamer00

WinFonda said:
I'm fine with VC2 on PSP... but the new school (pardon the pun) art direction? Holy shit

Yeah, the art direction is pretty bad.

Who would have thought that it was possible to make the art style even more generic?

Jonnyram

yankee666 said:
but let me remind you that in more than 20 years and over thousands and thousands of games only 10 games including DQIX, got perfect score.
THREE of them were last year. And all of them have happened since 1998.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
VC2... PSP. Fuckin' hell. I knew all hope was lost for JRPGs on consoles, but...damn. Careful what you wish for. Oh well, I always have the first one until I sell it. :lol

ekj3gw.gif

B.K.

I really don't see why everyone is having a fit over Valkyria Chronicles 2's art. It's not like the original had the best art ever either. Everyone should be more concerned about the gameplay and story than the art.

Hcoregamer00

VegaShinra said:
The only way VC2 can sell any lower than VC will be to have it DL only. :lol

Exactly, it is almost a guarantee that VC2 will be a larger success than the original game.

It is now a "franchise" with figures and a successful anime series. Now it is moved to a platform with great sales and is in the midst of another major revival.

No matter which way you put it, this game will smash Valkyria Chronicles sales in Japan.

Top Bottom