• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu July 14 (DQ9 review)

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I'd rather have VC2 on the PS3 but the PSP makes sense... it's a game that suits the system well, and it will sell better while being cheaper to develop. I'm sure Sega was not happy when VC1 sold poorly. :/

Either way, just like VC1, I'm there day one for VC2!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Oichi said:
I'd rather have VC2 on the PS3 but the PSP makes sense... it's a game that suits the system well, and it will sell better while being cheaper to develop. I'm sure Sega was not happy when VC1 sold poorly. :/

Either way, just like VC1, I'm there day one for VC2!

People will bitch all they want, if it has the amazing Valkyria gameplay, it will be hard to ignore.

Even with a different artstyle.

Jonnyram

Hcoregamer00 said:
Exactly, it is almost a guarantee that VC2 will be a larger success than the original game.
Is that like Blue Dragon is almost guaranteed to better on DS than 360?
*chuckle*

VegaShinra

Hcoregamer00 said:
Exactly, it is almost a guarantee that VC2 will be a larger success than the original game.

It is now a "franchise" with figures and a successful anime series. Now it is moved to a platform with great sales and is in the midst of another major revival.

No matter which way you put it, this game will smash Valkyria Chronicles sales in Japan.
In Japan, yes, for sure. Everywhere else is in question.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Hcoregamer00 said:

It is now a "franchise" with figures and a successful anime series. Now it is moved to a platform with great sales and is in the midst of another major revival.

No matter which way you put it, this game will smash Valkyria Chronicles sales in Japan.

but will people buy it if they haven't played VC1? and it's pretty obvious not many people have played VC1.

sonicmj1

If the art style is any indication, they're sacrificing worldwide sales to please Japan. The tone is lighter, the setting is more familiar, the art style is closer to what is expected, and the platform is one that more people have. Greater success in Japan is basically assured.

My impression was that VC did decently in the US with that late sales push. Not fantastically, but respectably. I don't know if it'll do any better in the West as an even more stylized PSP game than its predecessor did.

I'd get it if I had a PSP, but either way, I'm a little disappointed in the new direction.

Hcoregamer00

-WindYoshi- said:
In Blue Dragon's case, the console version actually sold relatively well to begin with.

When it is bad, you can only go up.

sonicmj1 said:
If the art style is any indication, they're sacrificing worldwide sales to please Japan. The tone is lighter, the setting is more familiar, the art style is closer to what is expected, and the platform is one that more people have. Greater success in Japan is basically assured.

My impression was that VC did decently in the US with that late sales push. Not fantastically, but respectably. I don't know if it'll do any better in the West as an even more stylized PSP game than its predecessor did.

I'd get it if I had a PSP, but either way, I'm a little disappointed in the new direction.

Yeah, but what I don't understand with that rationale (that SEGA is using) is that Valkyria Chronicles already had a very generic anime style. You could get the artstyle from VC and easily turn it into a manga or anime with little change to what is considered "standard fare."

KtSlime

I hate to admit it, I haven't seen the anime. Which is weird usually I would be down with it, but I didn't want to ruin my view of the game. Is the anime well done? Didn't care for the animation style, but is the story, and the voice acting any good?

test_account

XP-39C²
VegaShinra said:
The only way VC2 can sell any lower than VC will be to have it DL only. :lol
Valkyria Chronicles 1 didnt really sell that bad (at least in Japan) in my opinion, if that is what you mean? :) With "The Best" re-release of VC1, Valkyria Chronicles 1 has sold about 200k copies in Japan. I think that is fairly ok/good, at least compared to how many of the other HD games have sold in Japan :)

EDIT: Here are the sales numbers for Valkyria Chronicles in Japan by the way:

http://garaph.info/gamesearch.php?t...2=&sltd1=&sltd2=&gameid=&orderby=&res1=&res2=

:)

Enron

Banned
ivedoneyourmom said:
I hate to admit it, I haven't seen the anime. Which is weird usually I would be down with it, but I didn't want to ruin my view of the game. Is the anime well done? Didn't care for the animation style, but is the story, and the voice acting any good?

Don't watch it until you've beaten the game. I'm holding off.

Hcoregamer00

ivedoneyourmom said:

No, No, and Yes

To clarify my point further.

The anime has high production values, but it strays way too far from the anime. They take out some of the biggest moments of the game and focuses on the sillier parts. They throw away deep characterization, instead they focus on giving the main cast the typical anime cliches (Alicia = Tsundere, Welkin = Idiot, Selvaria = Well-Endowed lady with attitude and Faldio = Man Slut).

At least the voice actors are identical from the game.

im happy to see a new VC. the artstyle isnt half bad, as i could never get used to that excessive pointy-chin.

sure, i'd prefer a PS3 version over the PSP, but beggars can't be choosers.

zoku88

Edag Plata said:
Who's that on the cover?
I think it's Toda Erika.

Augemitbutter said:
im happy to see a new VC. the artstyle isnt half bad, as i could never get used to that excessive pointy-chin.

This is more or less how I feel.

I'm not very surprised. Though, one wonders what they're going to do with the PS3 engine they built. They spent all of that money on it, I would think that they would want to use it for other games.

Hcoregamer00

Augemitbutter said:

Pretty much, any new Valkyria is good valkyria.

Especially a portable one I can bring with me anywhere.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Classic_Gs said:
How surprising, a DQ game gets all 10s in Japan.
I know huh, who would've guessed that DQIX would be the first DQ game to get straight 10s?

Hcoregamer00

Speaking of DQ9, does it occur to you guys that maybe DQ9 got perfect tens because it is just THAT AWESOME?

I haven't played it yet, but I have very high expectations of so much concentrated awesomeness of a 256 megabyte cartridge.

ayrkain

Hcoregamer00 said:
Pretty much, any new Valkyria is good valkyria.

Especially a portable one I can bring with me anywhere.

I'm actually pretty excited. Maybe if it sells well, they'll do another console version. Who knows?

Hcoregamer00

ayrkain said:
I'm actually pretty excited. Maybe if it sells well, they'll do another console version. Who knows?

Nah, if it sells well, they will most likely do another portable game with a storyline that expands many of the historical events alluded to in the original game.

-The great Valkyria conquest of Europa
-The first Gallian war
-The rise of the Eastern Europan Empire

Each of them have so much potential for great storytelling.

Jonnyram

Hey, xfactor.
Why did you leave 360's new game "Moe Moe Niji Taisen (Ryaku) Ultra Deluxe" out of the OP? It's a new game ffs!

did anyone expect DQ not to get straight 10s?

And awesome, more roguelikes for wii.

TenshiOni said:
2w57sl4.jpg

isnt that from Jesus Camp? creepy movie

Hcoregamer00

Jonnyram said:
Hey, xfactor.
Why did you leave 360's new game "Moe Moe Niji Taisen (Ryaku) Ultra Deluxe" out of the OP? It's a new game ffs!

Another moeblob game that will never make it to the USA?

ayrkain

Hcoregamer00 said:
Nah, if it sells well, they will most likely do another portable game with a storyline that expands many of the historical events alluded to in the original game.

-The great Valkyria conquest of Europa
-The first Gallian war
-The rise of the Eastern Europan Empire

Each of them have so much potential for great storytelling.

That sounds fun too. The story stuff is really just trappings for me. I like the gameplay on Valkyria.

Hcoregamer00

ayrkain said:
That sounds fun too. The story stuff is really just trappings for me. I like the gameplay on Valkyria.

I like the gameplay too, but there was such great potential for storytelling that future games should be centered on.

Amir0x

Banned
DQ review: shocking revelations inside Famitsu.

Anyway to shit that matters...

I don't have a PS3 so I would like to try out the Valkyria Chronicles gameplay and so it'd be interesting to try out the sequel so I'll know if it's worth purchasing whenever I get the platform. I love SRPGs.

*looks at rest*

I guess that's all that matters actually.

cryptic

The psp version spreads the brand to more of japan, then a follow up is released only for consoles to profit off the expanded market. Hopefully the wait between the two won't be two long.

Hcoregamer00

cryptic said:
The psp version spreads the brand to more of japan, then a follow up is released only for consoles to profit off the expanded market. Hopefully the wait between the two won't be two long.

:lol :lol

If it is successful on handheld consoles, it will stay on handheld consoles.

Amir0x

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
:lol :lol

If it is successful on handheld consoles, it will stay on handheld consoles.

Monster Hunter 1/2 PS2 - not super successful
Monster Hunter 1/2 PSP - HOLYFUCKCHRIST
Monster Hunter 3 - On Wii

?

Darkpen

Banned
Amir0x said:
Monster Hunter PS2 - not super successful
Monster Hunter PSP - HOLYFUCKCHRIST

?
Valkyria Chronicles 3 wiimote/sonymote unnecessary pointer controls confirmed?

:p

Hcoregamer00

Amir0x said:
Monster Hunter PS2 - not super successful
Monster Hunter PSP - HOLYFUCKCHRIST

?

Moneyhats don't count :lol

not to mention Monster Hunter 3 PSP - OMGJAPANJUSTEXPLODED

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jonnyram said:
It's the first issue of the mag it's been in though. And he still didn't post the Layton news in the first post of the last thread, yet happily posts MH3... smh.
What was the Layton news btw?

Amir0x

Banned
Darkpen said:
Valkyria Chronicles 3 wiimote/sonymote unnecessary pointer controls confirmed?

:p

You know I'm not quite sure how Valkyria Chronicles functions as an SRPG, but as far as wiimote/pointer appropriate genres go, SRPGs and other strategy games are pretty high near the top.

Barakov

Good to see VC2. Don't care about the platform change. The character designs aren't bad but they're not good either. Did Sega just hire whoever did the designs for the TV series and told the person to make the designs even more generic? Of course, IF the gameplay is good that's all that matters in the end.

Hcoregamer00

Barakov said:
Good to see VC2. Don't care about the platform change. The character designs aren't bad buth they're not good either. Did Sega just hire whoever did the designs for the TV series and told the person to make the designs even more generic? Of course, If the gameplay is good that's all that matters in the end.

Bingo, it is all about the gameplay.

As long as it develops and expands the superb Valkyria Chronicles gameplay, then we have nothing to worry about.

Steroyd

Yay VC 2. ^_^

Would prefer a spin-off sequel with another console version in the works, but JRPG's seem handheld bound this gen. :(

Hcoregamer00

Steroyd said:
Yay VC 2. ^_^

Would prefer a spin-off sequel with another console version in the works, but JRPG's seem handheld bound this gen. :(

Why the sad face?

JRPG's going handheld is awesome since it fits the portable lifestyle well.

We welcome VC2 and future games on the handheld console arena.

Tailzo

Amir0x said:
Monster Hunter 1/2 PS2 - not super successful
Monster Hunter 1/2 PSP - HOLYFUCKCHRIST

?
So could the next Valkyria be for wii?

Nah, I'm kidding here. I am very pleased to see that we'll get a new game. I don't know what to say about the character designs yet, but I'm just happy Valkyria got another chance.

lupinko

I'll still buy Valkyria 2, but this is a letdown for me. I wonder what Nonaka and company will do with their Canvas engine now
PS3 Sakura Taisen 6/Phantasy Star V/Eternal Arcadia 2 pls

Oh well, most likely 2010(or whenever) will be the Nagoshi show again with Untitled RGG sequel for PS3. :D :S

Top Bottom