• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu July 14 (DQ9 review)

KtSlime

Hmmm, I suppose Alicia, at least in the beginning of the game was tsundere. But I felt she gave that up real quick when she found out who Welkin is. Eh, maybe I'll watch it after KyoAni quits trolling me with Haruhi.

Amir0x

Banned
What makes Valkyria Chronicles so good anyway? I mean, what aspects of its gameplay makes it special versus other decent SRPGs?

It's one of the few PS3 games I've really held an interest in.

Tailzo

Amir0x said:
What makes Valkyria Chronicles so good anyway? I mean, what aspects of its gameplay makes it special versus other decent SRPGs?

- The gameplay feels fresh
- You can actually fight hard battles
- Hard battles are totally doable, just fine-tune your strategy
- you get surprised by some of the ennemies
- It's beautiful
- Vyse & Aika
- Level up one unit? No, level up every unit of the same type at once!
- Upgrade, unlock discover depth that you didn't expect

duckroll

Amir0x said:
a lot of those are pretty vague but alright i'll take it

I'll make it easier for you:

- No filler, every mission is relatively unique, and the game doesn't drag on
- A SRPG not set in a fantasy or sci-fi world, but in a steampunk alternate reality WW1 setting with guns and tanks
- Cover system makes battles feel more strategic and tactical
- No grinding, minimal equipment management, tons of focus on actual decisions during a mission, and how you tackle situations

Darkpen

Banned
Amir0x said:
a lot of those are pretty vague but alright i'll take it
Translation:

Despite its turn-based nature, the 3D navigation and dice-roll aiming circle for weaponry makes it stand out from other SRPGs
Despite the mission ranking nature being speed-run/trial-and-error, there's always a way to succeed on your first time
above
No idea what he's referring to here
- It's beautiful
The way the game is rendered holds it unique, offering a canvas filter, with sketch-mark shading
- Vyse & Aika
omfg cameos
Instead of micromanaging every single unit, you deposit EXP into the entire class type
More toys to overwhelm your enemies.

Hurray for more Valkyria Chronicles! I am saddened by the change of character designer, but I'll still give it the benefit of the doubt,

I'm happy to see a good score for the new Chibi-Robo! game. Hopefully this will encourage more people to check the series out.

KTallguy

Banned
Well, it's not grid based, for one. You can freely move characters in 3d space as long as you have enough left in your movement bar. So part of the strategy is setting up your units in cover, to watch choke points that the enemy comes through. During the enemies turn, they will attack whatever they can in the direction they are facing at the end of their turn.

It's easier to watch a video review, but it's definitely unique. Battles can take a long time though.

JoeFenix

Bayonetta RELEASE DATE YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

The only game other than Demon's souls that I really want this year! Can't wait!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
duckroll said:
I'll make it easier for you:

- No filler, every mission is relatively unique, and the game doesn't drag on
- A SRPG not set in a fantasy or sci-fi world, but in a steampunk alternate reality WW1 setting with guns and tanks
- Cover system makes battles feel more strategic and tactical
- No grinding, minimal equipment management, tons of focus on actual decisions during a mission, and how you tackle situations

Goddamn, you know how to sell Valkyria Chronicles well.

Where were you when they did the advertising for the game?

Issun23

What I think makes the game for me is that once you've learned a map, its terrain, enemy placement and objectives, you can spend hours just trying different things and tactics.

duckroll

Hcoregamer00 said:
Goddamn, you know how to sell Valkyria Chronicles well.

Where were you when they did the advertising for the game?

I didn't get a chance to play Valkyria until some time after the US release. I wasn't really sold on the game concept, and when it was released in Japan I think I was playing some other stuff like Persona or something. Sorry. :(

Tailzo

Darkpen said:
Translation:

Despite its turn-based nature, the 3D navigation and dice-roll aiming circle for weaponry makes it stand out from other SRPGs
Despite the mission ranking nature being speed-run/trial-and-error, there's always a way to succeed on your first time
above
No idea what he's referring to here
- It's beautiful
The way the game is rendered holds it unique, offering a canvas filter, with sketch-mark shading
- Vyse & Aika
omfg cameos
Instead of micromanaging every single unit, you deposit EXP into the entire class type
More toys to overwhelm your enemies.

Yeah... You nailed what I was trying to say. Thanks.

Btw, By this you get surprised by some of the ennemies, I meant. Some of the ennemy units are so wild and powerful, and it'll make you jump in your sofa the moment you see them. I am refering to certain bosses that shocked me :)

rbenchley

Hcoregamer00 said:
Why the sad face?

JRPG's going handheld is awesome since it fits the portable lifestyle well.

We welcome VC2 and future games on the handheld console arena.

Yes, but not everyone cares about the "portable lifestyle" or plays handheld games. I'm very pleased that VC is getting a sequel and I do realize that the PSP is a better choice of platforms for sales potential, but its a bummer because I probably won't have a chance to play it.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Amir0x said:

Valkyria Chronicles is a great game that you should definitely check out. The game stands out for being a bit different than other SRPGs. It's actually a shooter that uses a semi turnbased/real time battle system. Characters take turns moving, attacking, using items etc. However, the actual battle system takes place in third person, so you aren't fighting on tiles using an isometric camera like other SPRGs, such as FFT and Tactics Ogre. Each character has a meter that depletes as they move across the battlefield. Once you decide to attack, it employs the usual shooter staples, such as being able to use grenades, use rifles and bazookas, and headshots that do more damage than a regular bodyshot. Once you move and attack, the next party member makes their move.

There's also something called Potentials, which give characters a chance to get a bonus during battle, such as being able to restore HP or boost attack depending on your party. Of course, it's also an RPG so you have your healing items and levels. You won't need to be some kind of a hardcore FPS gamer despite this game being a third person shooter. The game's difficulty is surprisingly balanced, and like any good SRPG, strategy will win the day more than just using brute force.

I also want to point out that the story in this game is surprisingly good. I'm pretty picky about JRPG stories mainly because many of them tend to make me cringe or what not and the only JRPGs in the recent two years I actually liked were Mother 3 and Persona 4. So if you like a decent story in your games, VC is up your alley. This game had a price drop I believe, so you can pick it up fairly cheaply, so yeah, I'd recommend you give this game a shot. I hope this rather long comment helped you out a little. It's my first day posting here, so I don't know if large texts like these are the norm.

Hcoregamer00

duckroll said:
I didn't get a chance to play Valkyria until some time after the US release. I wasn't really sold on the game concept, and when it was released in Japan I think I was playing some other stuff like Persona or something. Sorry. :(

Well, I just wanted to point out that your post was concise and to the point.

It was the kind of marketing that SEGA needed to push the game.

duckroll

Hcoregamer00 said:
Well, I just wanted to point out that your post was concise and to the point.

It was the kind of marketing that SEGA needed to push the game.

I think Sega did a pretty decent job of pushing the English version honestly. They even bothered to localize the DLC, and I think it's a good sign that they'll be working on the sequel as well. As far as sales go, I would say it's still not an easy sell. After all, it's still an anime-themed strategy game, and that sort of stuff just doesn't tend to do great outside of the otaku markets, even if they do stand on their own as a solid original game with great gameplay.

GhaleonQ

Chibi. Robo. Woo! Don't fail us as ably as you often do, Nintendo.

Kobun Heat said:
Anyone else notice the complete and utter coincidence that just as Japan's video game market starts to kind of go down the toilet, Famitsu suddenly bumps up the number of 40s?

WOW JAPAN WE ARE SUDDENLY SO GOOD AT MAKING VIDEOGAMES HOW CRAZY

Truly, this is the best generation...eveeerrrrrrr-*vomits*

Hcoregamer00

duckroll said:
After all, it's still an anime-themed strategy game, and that sort of stuff just doesn't tend to do great outside of the otaku markets, even if they do stand on their own as a solid original game with great gameplay.

Yes, but it could have been a success story the same way that Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney franchise was. This franchise may not be a massive seller, but it has a very loyal fanbase who will buy anything related to the franchise.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yes, but it could have been a success story the same way that Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney franchise was. This franchise may not be a massive seller, but it has a very loyal fanbase who will buy anything related to the franchise.
GyakuSai 4 sold over half a million.

That's not, like, small. And I'd be very surprised if any Valkyria game reached that.

Not unexpected for DQ IX but that score is making me want to import now and not wait for a US release :p
Odd to see VC 2 on PSP but I'm not complaining, just happy the game is in development! :)

lupin23rd

Looks like this week is the final round of auditions for the hostess club girls for the next Yakuza game - it won't be long now lupinko!

Just pulled out 3 and did 10 more missions, going to try to get Platinum on this baby before the deluge of fall games starts.

RpgN

BlueWord said:
As for VC2... well, I'll take what I can get. I do wonder why they moved the game to PSP, though; were the sales not high enough to inspire confidence in full-fledged, high-budget sequel?

I think it's more due to the way fans reacted at that valkyria chronicles trailer on E3, that it was a psp game on mistake. This (now franchise) is still young and they are trying to see where it sells more, they can still branch out. It seems they are trying to make valkyria chronicles a playstation franchise?

The artwork is a little more anime style but the gameplay looks faithful to the first one. Nonetheless, amazing news to wake up to. Day freaking 0 again!!!

8-Bit Soul said:
(PS3)Katamari Tribute - 9,8,8,8

yes, yes, yeeeeeeesssss

let's roll up to beeeeeee a single staar in the skyyyyyyyyy

Any idea on the western release date or whether the Japanese version could include English language? I won't have much more than some PSN games and second playthroughs of Blu-ray games to play this summer and I am craving a new Katamari game already :-|

biocat

I just took the new issue home. Oh my god!

Thank you, Sega! I was really hoping for a sequel to Valkyria Chronicles.

Best game news this year! (for me at least)

AniHawk

I was already planning on getting a PS3. I am not planning on getting a PSP. VC2 on the PSP kinda hurts, especially since it actually did well on the PS3.

Maybe VC2 is being done by a lesser team and the real team has buddied up with Rieko Kodama to do Skies of Arcadia 2 finally.

batbeg

:D Ever since the E3 mishap of advertizing Valkyria Chronicles as a PSP game I've wanted it on the platform. Something about the style and the gameplay just makes it seem right, although of course now that I've played the game, I really hope this portable sequel doesn't have shorter levels to be more "portable"... after all, VC1 has some pretty damn long levels, but they're fantastic as they are.

I don't really care about the character designs anyway, but maybe that's just me. I considered the first game to have a pretty throwaway story with only a few nice characters, though the designs were mostly nice. But who gives a fuck, we're getting VC2! Woo!

Seeing VC2 scan is certainly a letdown, they managed to take away the original look turning it into another anime school cliche festival. And its called VC2 sadly, I probably wouldn't mind if it were VC The Spin-off but right now it seems like a waste to me.

biocat

NeoGIF said:
More info, please. :D

It says you can pick a mission of varying difficulty (the picture shows a mission where you have to defeat all the enemies), then pick a character and a weapon (if you're playing alone the second character will be controlled by the computer, and then you do the mission together (most are apparently boss fights.)

Aru

VC2 > YEAH !
VC2 on PSP > :O Awesome !

I don't mind the anime art. Well, I prefer the original art but it's not that bad.
I just hope they still use the CANVAS engine on PSP, because it looked great.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hcoregamer00 said:

Good that you mention that, because Valkyria Chronicles outsold any installment of the Phoenix Wright series so I think you've simultaneously overestimated Phoenix Wright dramatically and underestimated the degree to which VC sold.

Johann

Haha, Valkyria 2 on PSP. I knew the it was going to get DQIX'D. At the very least, Sega is actually interested in the game, especially after its second marketing push.

Hopefully, it doesn't get the 'direct to video sequel' treatment. The comments about the artwork aren't exactly inspiring but everybody else on the Valkyria team could be on board.

Vinnk said:
I am. I was expecting high scores, like 37 or 38 but with the controversial platform choice and everything (and also considering no DQ game has EVER gotten a perfect) I was a bit surprised. Not shocked, but surprised.

It could be a political review, similar to the FFXII review. You know, 'it's different but give it a chance.' Then again, it could really be that outstanding.

Philanthropist said:
Any idea on the western release date or whether the Japanese version could include English language? I won't have much more than some PSN games and second playthroughs of Blu-ray games to play this summer and I am craving a new Katamari game already :-|

Pretty sure it's still just listed as 'Fall 09' for the West. Go for the Asian release though, it'll hopefully have English language support :)

CiSTM

Banned
I knew next VC game would be out on PSP or Wii. I really hope this one does well and VC can go back to home consoles.

Oh HELLS YES at Valkyria Chronicles 2! For the PSP as well, will be interesting. The PSP, when all is said and done, is going to have a library that rivals home consoles from the past.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wow... VC2 on PSP... The comeback year is here.

I think they're trying to pull a 'Monster Hunter' as in how it increased it's popularity multiple times as it went to the PSP... could work here... I just can't wait to play it, loved VC1

Zalasta

Since I just bought a PSP recently, having VC2 to look forward to is great news.

Personally I don't think VC is a top-tier SRPG though, it's good but also flawed. The micromanagement part is very stripped down, especially on what an unit can equip with. The aiming system is all over the place. I don't really agree with the no grinding part. Sure I didn't have to repeat any mission or the skirmishes, but I have to be damn near perfect for at least a rank B in order to get enough bonus XP and money for upgrades.

My only request for VC2 is to take out the stupid ranking based on how fast you complete a mission (why give me 20 turns if you're going to deduct points from me starting on turn 3) and the ability to save multiple times during battles. Oh yeah, the orders are pretty useless.

Top Bottom