• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Kingdom Hearts III Interview with Nomura

Sayad

Square Enix seem to be having some sort of design problems due to engine-related issues, but currently, they’ve advanced in the scenario writing and world choices, along with designs for Sora and Riku’s new outfits.
Is this the first time we hear about problems with the luminous engine directly from SE?

stryke

Having more human like characters did seem a bit odd when they had Pirates of the Caribbean in Kingdom Hearts II. It didn't really gel well with the rest of the KH artstyle.

Although Star Wars lore is an open goal for tying in the KH premise of darkness and light.

Also if they go with Marvel, hopefully they have the liberty to make them a bit more cartoony.

I'm kind of over the HD Remixes and re-releases. I mean, fair game, they tide us over until KH3, but I have absolutely no desire to pick up HD Remix 2.5, and I'm a big fan of the series. =/

Can I say something crazy?

Since they changed Final Fantasy to an action RPG they should change Kingdom Hearts to a turn based / ATB system JRPG

Wouldn't that be hilarious

rrvv

I dont see how you can think that Goofy/Tarzan/Tron make sense but Star Wars doesn't. It all seems out of place, i thought thats why people liked it?

no, the entire premise is that Disney properties are easy cash machines. That premise totally breaks down for the "tron", "pirates", and "halloween town" disney worlds as well. neither of those fits at all.

It easy to associate those 3 with Disney since it Disney in house creation. but not so with Marvel and Star Wars since they are outside property first.

?

A Lightsaber Keyblade would be badass.

For those of you saying no Star Wars, I have one thing for your consideration:

Darth Vader Superboss to the tune of The Imperial March.

I don't need a world, I just want that.

Unknown_KHBBS.png

Kinsei

Banned
I'm kind of over the HD Remixes and re-releases. I mean, fair game, they tide us over until KH3, but I have absolutely no desire to pick up HD Remix 2.5, and I'm a big fan of the series. =/

Did you import the Final Mix versions of KHII and BbS? If not there is a ton of new content in the HD Remix. KHII Final Mix adds 15 new boss fights.

also

Banned
『Inaba Resident』;131442017 said:
It made the game waaaaaaaayyyy too easy. Especially since it had no limit.
Flow motion wasn't even that useful in battle, especially on hard where you should almost never use it.

I think most complained about it because it ''broke'' the level design; precision platforming was no longer required and you didn't need any upgrades (high jump, glide) to get the chests.

I personally loved because quickly traversing the huge rooms in DDD felt great.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

If you don't want it but happen to buy it anyway, i'll take it off your hands and get a refund for mine :p

Can I say something crazy?

Since they changed Final Fantasy to an action RPG
they should change Kingdom Hearts to a turn based / ATB system JRPG

Wouldn't that be hilarious

15 is no longer Versus, its 15, and thus no longer an action RPG as we know them.

Yeah, they're definitely going to do KH3D HD at this point. Probably going to go the Type-0 HD route and bundle it with a KHIII demo to move units.

According to the Osaka development team, Sora’s mobility is way too high, and it almost felt like he was invincible at around his end-game level.

Uh oh. Last time I remember reading something similar, it was during KH3D development in reference to Flowmotion, and that ended up completely fucking over game balance because Nomura insisted on keeping it as is despite the Osaka team's protests that it needed to be toned down (or at least have a higher skill barrier) to preserve game balance. I really hope that doesn't happen a second time.

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah, they're definitely going to do KH3D HD at this point. Probably going to go the Type-0 HD route and bundle it with a KHIII demo to move units.

Uh oh. Last time I remember reading something similar, it was during KH3D development in reference to Flowmotion, and that ended up completely fucking over game balance because Nomura insisted on keeping it as is despite the Osaka team's protests that it needed to be toned down (or at least have a higher skill barrier) to preserve game balance. I really hope that doesn't happen a second time.

But flow motion isn't OP, at least not on proud or higher.

Kain

Did you import the Final Mix versions of KHII and BbS? If not there is a ton of new content in the HD Remix. KHII Final Mix adds 15 new boss fights.

All of which were fucking amazing and hard as balls.

FM+ on critical is a great experience and can't wait to try it again in HD.

KHlover

Banned
Flowmotion isn't even that good in fights, why are people saying it's broken?

Because they apparently all played on easy where flowmotion just kills the enemies, so being locked in the animation FOREVER doesn't matter since there's no one who can actually hurt you.

Siliconera.

Square Enix are putting serious consideration into making an HD version for Kingdom Hearts 3D, as it’s the only one that doesn’t have one.

KH Insider

About KINGDOM HEARTS 3D, concerning the HD version, there are no plans for it to make the transition.

Who is right?.

RK128

At least this seems to be developing smoothly at least :); it coming along well so soon after it started development (I think?) last year is great news :D.

Still surprised that they can decide what worlds to use yet though :l. I mean, I would like to think at this point, they would have that stuff nailed down (as they are going to have to start MAKING worlds for the game soon).

I guess they are getting held up by licensing issues with Disney on Star Wars, Marvel and Pixar IP (as that is the only reason I would think they can't pick new worlds; if it was just Disney, then it is painfully simple: Treasure Planet, Island world based of Leo and Stitch, Alantis: The Lost Empire, Princes and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen, Wreck it Ralph, Duckberg (with it being a blend of Darkwing Duck and Ducktails :D....please have this be a world!), and Jungle Book).

I think that a Marvel or Star Wars would would be the 'big' thing for KH3 like how Port Roal, Tron and Steam Boat Willy worlds were huge (the former two for them being based on live action movies and the latter world due to it being more or less lifted right out of 1920's-1930's Mickey Mouse cartoons). If that goes well (or at the very least, have Darth Vader be a Sepharoph level secret boss), then that would be really cool :D.

The combat system seems to be very interesting; a blend of KH2 and Birth By Sleep? I think that is what I'm getting from his comments (I guess you stack your Keyblades into a deck ala Chan of Memories and you can decide what order you want to use them using the face buttons ala Birth by Sleep.

Either way I can't wait for this game, so it coming out at all is awesome :D.

Also, KH3D coming to consoles? I thought that was expected at this point :l. I can see Square make that for PS4/X1 early next year and close the year off with a PS4/X1 version of KH1.5 and KH2.5 (that way people can catch up with everything before KH3 comes out). The game looks to be right at home on consoles anyway :D (the visuals of the game are some of the 3DS's best :)).

But flow motion isn't OP, at least not on proud or higher.

It's definitely overpowered during the first 1-2 worlds even on Critical, then quickly becomes pretty useless. If you have a mechanic that can't find a balance between "completely overpowered" and "laughably useless", then you've got a busted mechanic.

Moreover though, having that amount of mobility available from the very beginning of the game along with making it really easy to execute really wasn't a good design decision. It really should have scaled with your normal leveling or something. It's the equivalent of giving Sora stuff like Superglide and High Jump right off the bat in KH1, it completely trivializes enemy encounters and platforming. (Granted, the platforming elements in the series were never really good, but still.)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wait, first Nomura interview since the FFXV director change and there's no question about it?

Nomura is a company slave, he goes where he's told with no questions himself. The interviewer probably had the tact not to ask about such things.

chaosaeon

I didn't like the Frozen movie all that much but it would be cool to have a snow covered world to explore in KH. Or they'd ruin/make it everyone's favorite by making it like the little mermaid in KH2 and have a quick time Let It Go song. I'm kind of surprised given the popularity, that frozen won't be in there, especially after they say they're having a hard time coming up with worlds to go to. Seems like an obvious choice.

The fact that Unknown uses force lightning in his boss battle is proof enough that Star Wars should make an appearance. Xemnas ethereal blades can be explained as him visiting a star wars world and mimicking the light sabers. Meeting Yoda and learning new mobility techniques? Hell yeah

RK128

I didn't like the Frozen movie all that much but it would be cool to have a snow covered world to explore in KH. Or they'd ruin/make it everyone's favorite by making it like the little mermaid in KH2 and have a quick time Let It Go song. I'm kind of surprised given the popularity, that frozen won't be in there, especially after they say they're having a hard time coming up with worlds to go to. Seems like an obvious choice.

.....That was horendous X(.... I even skipped over that would on my second playthough of KH2; who thought that would be a good idea? I mean, it was a full-on world in KH1, couldn't it still be a normal world? ....At least we could skip the world :).

KHlover

Banned
It's Famitsu. They're not doing journalism but promotion. If SE says it's an NG subject then it will not be touched on.

Interviews where your questions need to be approved first aren't exclusive to video games journalism and certainly not to kotaku...

Kain

.....That was horendous X(.... I even skipped over that would on my second playthough of KH2; who thought that would be a good idea? I mean, it was a full-on world in KH1, couldn't it still be a normal world? ....At least we could skip the world :).

My guess is that they didn't have the time/will to redo all the Atlantica engine again. It didn't work out very well for the first game and they had to make a new set of animations just for Pride lands too, I would think they didn't want to do a third set of new animations/collisions, etc.

KH2 has a lot of flaws, but the game had a tremendous amount of work done.

What are we thinkin' on this one? Mid 2018? Best case scenario 2017?

God damn, not gonna lie, the wait on this one is gonna hurt.

What are we thinkin' on this one? Mid 2018? Best case scenario 2017?

God damn, not gonna lie, the wait on this one is gonna hurt.

DDD was March 2012.
BBS vol.2 was presumably the next game in development, which got cancelled in favor of III, so development probably wasted a year or so.
So assuming development started in 2013, it should take 4 years at least.

2017 should be a fair assumption.

I'm also glad to hear Sora being near invincible at the end was seen as a problem. I've always been pretty happy with KH's diffculty level at all stages of the game. I love how at the end of KHII I had so many skills and transformations available for me yet even encounters with standard and advanced foot soliders were still sticky.

SykoTech

DDD HD would be nice to have, though I can't see myself paying more than $20 for it. It never looked that enticing to me aside from the TWEWY characters.

Very pleased to hear about Birth By Sleep style Keyblade transformations, but that seemed like a sure thing already.

Watch they pull a Capcom and not put it on the Wii U.

Why would they when neither Kingdom Hearts III or the HD Collections are on Wii U either?

Top Bottom