• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Kingdom Hearts III Interview with Nomura

StuBurns

Banned
I think Frozen is crap, (Tangled4lyfe), but I still want a Frozen world. Just imagine all those magically appearing crystal structures, that film was made for Nomura to wank over.

Square Enix seem to be having some sort of design problems due to engine-related issues

lmfao

that's not exactly something that needs to be clarified Nomura

show me a flagship Square Enix game of the last ten years where the director couldn't have made this exact statement

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Choosing new worlds for Kingdom Hearts III is also proving to be a difficult task for Square Enix.
I'm not sure why this is difficult.
NO MORE ATLANTIS
For one.

Wouldn't mind actually seeing a few more original places and at least one FF, Marvel & Star Wars world.
I think Frozen is crap, (Tangled4lyfe), but I still want a Frozen world. Just imagine all those magically appearing crystal structures, that film was made for Nomura to wank over.
Honestly I want both and as much as I like it I think Nightmare Before Christmas should be replaced.

Kumo

Isn't Frozen hugely popular, for whatever reason, in Japan as well? They'd be foolish not to include it in KH3.

For those of you saying that Star Wars and Marvel don't belong in Kingdom Hearts:

DISNEY ORIGINAL STORIES - Stories that were told originally through Disney.

• The Nightmare Before Christmas
  • Tron
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Fantasia
  • Stories related to core Disney characters (Mickey and company) that weren't parodies

DISNEY "COVER" STORIES - Although a lot of these stories are mostly known by the Disney versions, they were not stories originally created by Disney.

• Alice In Wonderland
  • Tarzan
  • Hercules
  • Pinocchio
  • Winnie The Pooh
  • Aladdin
  • The Little Mermaid
  • Peter Pan
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Snow White
  • Cinderella
  • Beauty And The Beast
  • Bambi
  • Mulan
  • Chicken Little
  • The Lion King
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame

So what if they use Star Wars or Marvel? From the above (and outside of Pixar) Disney excels at taking classic stories and making them their own. They've been telling Star Wars stories through Star Tours in their parks since the 90s, and since they bought out Marvel they've spit out multiple movies in the Marvel universe that blend the comic book threads with their own spin.

Just because they are newer Disney properties doesn't mean they [don't belong in Kingdom Hearts]. Star Wars and Marvel have existed for a long, long time. Most of what Disney has ever done has been to retell stories that already existed. That's what makes Disney Disney. And that's exactly what Star Wars and Marvel are now.

Falk

that puzzling face
Random question, do we know if they have remastered the music for KH2 too? I'm asking because I remember a couple of songs where the quality was shit, specially "I am a pirate" which has to be the worst remix ever.

Sorry Yoko, but that song sounded horrible :(

The person you want to direct your disappointment towards is Takeharu Ishimoto who did the synth programming for KH2.

Don't get me wrong, Ishimoto does excellent work and went on to work on subsequent KH soundtracks, but KH2 in particular was an objective step down from Ryo Yamazaki's synth work in KH1 which is a real head-scratcher.

Nevertheless, to answer your question, yes, the soundtrack got a massive overhaul, not just He's a Pirate.

New Darkness of the Unknown omg

MAtgS

I wouldn't say crap
the villain reveal actually being a genuine surprise gives it some points
but I definately don't understand why it was such a bigger sucess than Tangled or PatF. Because it subverts & mocks the old disney princess cliches? Eh, so did Enchanted.

chaosaeon

Doesn't help that Frozen is rather a mediocre film that clearly suffered from their own "brilliant" rewrite due to early preview feedback.

Other than that, I'd actually like a winter/snow-themed world.

What if KH used that approach to a Frozen World ? Have Elsa as the villain or set it up to happen during that specific time frame before all the 'predictable evil prince was evil all along' bit they turned it into. Use the original concept as a what-if scenario. Have Sora get his heart frozen and his hair start to turn like in the movie. It has white hair and drivel about hearts, it's literally perfect in tone.

Mengetsu

I would kill for Sora to be atop NYC fighting

300px-Xanatos2.JPG

Make my wildest dreams come true Nomura!

I know :(

That last line is a bit disturbing. Luminous engine does indeed seem to be causing problems as the topic the other day insinuated, but hey, at least the outfit design is progressing smoothly.

I would gladly play Dream Drop Distance in HD to ease the wait though, as long as it's not more than $39.

Edit: Disney, give me my Frozen, Incredibles, and Mahvel kingdoms and I'll love you forever.

Edit 2: I'm pretty sure Frozen is the most popular film (or #2) of all time in Japan. It will be in it, that is without question.

Like I said, I don't care either way but a Marvel world seems likely. The MCU is a $7 billion franchise and will be an $8 billion or possibly even $9 billion franchse next year depending on how Avengers 2 does. So, Disney may want to capatlize off that in anyway possible.

Sure maybe a Thor, Iron Man or Captain America might now work, but would a Guardians of The Galaxy world seem so out of the ordinary? If anything that seems like it could fit right in IMO.

As for Star Wars, I doubt we will see a whole world based around it, but who knows? Isn't Nomura a big fan of Star Wars?

So, all in all, if Marvel or Star Wars don't make an apperance, that's fine but I don't see why so many people are against it.

Edit: As for Frozen, that's damn near a given. It was hugely successful in Japan, so we can expect that world to be in KH 3. I still haven't seen the movie in it's entirety, so I can't speak on it. As long as it's not like Atlantica in KH 2, I don't have a problem with it really.

NateDog

As for Star Wars, I doubt we will see a whole world based around it, but who knows? Isn't Nomura a big fan of Star Wars?

I remember in an interview a while back just after Disney's acquisition of Star Wars, Nomura was asked about whether he'd like to include something related to Star Wars or a whole Star Wars world in KHIII if possible and he made a joking remark about wanting to (if I remember correctly) but it did sound like he was quite interested, just he didn't want to jump the gun.

Hedge

What if KH used that approach to a Frozen World ? Have Elsa as the villain or set it up to happen during that specific time frame before all the 'predictable evil prince was evil all along' bit they turned it into. Use the original concept as a what-if scenario. Have Sora get his heart frozen and his hair start to turn like in the movie. It has white hair and drivel about hearts, it's literally perfect in tone.

That'd actually be rather clever, which means it won't happen. :(

2016 release date? Please? At least this decade? Pleeeease?

Is anyone else bored of the inbetweeny games. I absolutely adore 1 and 2 but couldnt get into 1.5, bbs or ddd. No idea why, just wasnt feeling them as much as the first 2.

Wow, I felt BBS is almost the best KH game.

I'm soooo hyped to play it again on a big screen

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Watch they pull a Capcom and not put it on the Wii U.

Didn't they just release all the .5's exclusively on the PS3? Wouldn't that kinda been a perfect set up to start doing it cross platform?

Final Fantasy isn't PS exclusive anymore, but I don't know about Kingdom Hearts being on the one/wiiu, they haven't said anything about that have they?

Mortemis

Banned
Didn't they just release all the .5's exclusively on the PS3? Wouldn't that kinda been a perfect set up to start doing it cross platform?

Final Fantasy isn't PS exclusive anymore, but I don't know about Kingdom Hearts being on the one/wiiu, they haven't said anything about that have they?

KH 3 was announced for Xbox One like a little while after after the original E3 announcement.

No word on Wii U or PC I think.

Eusis

Frozen is super popular in Japan. Is going to be there...
Frozen's crazy popular anyway, it'd be a grotesquely massive missed opportunity to just leave that one behind. Hopefully Wreck-It Ralph can be fit in too just for an Inception-esque "game within a game" thing going on, especially since they already covered Tron.

That mobility thing concerns be, as in he moves too fast or something? I'd love more steps towards something Ys-esque, where it's much faster paced and it just feels like you're on some sort of high tearing through everything standing in your way.

Astral Dog

Weird with all the Let it Go anticipation,even if there is a Frozen world, many times SE uses original songs for the worlds (but maybe i dont remember right)

TheTux

Engine related problems :(, they'll probably still have engine related problems in 2020 :(.

Don't want to turn this into a FFXV thread because we have tons these days but if they have problems with KH3 at the very start of development I guess they are also having serious problems with FFXV, or is this because the Osaka team is new to console games?

It's also surprising to see them talking about late-game when they're in preproduction.

Frozen's crazy popular anyway, it'd be a grotesquely massive missed opportunity to just leave that one behind.

Yep. Frozen will be there simply because it's one of the few worlds that could actually sell the game to new fans. And you don't pass that opportunity up. The only other world that would probably do that is one dedicated to Star Wars. But as others have mentioned, there's a question of whether or not they'd be allowed to do that with EA holding the license.

I'd like to see Kingdom Hearts 3D HD at least make it Wii U considering its not getting the 3rd game and it could take advantage of the tablet controller pretty well.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I do not care if it comes with a Kingdom Hearts III demo, I will not pay $60 for an HD version of a 3DS game. I hope Square exercises some restraint.

I am still under the impression that Square is going to release an all-in-one version of the HD remakes for the PS4 and Xbox One at some point in time. I mean, the series has an incredibly convoluted plot. Any Xbox only player who jumps into the series with Kingdom Hearts III will probably feel completely lost.

Well this info is fine and dandy.... But the real issue here is if Utada Hikaru is coming back. Listening to Hikari right now and my goodness it wouldn't be the same without her. :(

Agreed. They'd be silly to let that one get away and strike while the iron is still hot.

Personally I can't wait to see what impressive CG'd characters would look like in PS4.

I was wondering if Disney would just give them the original model assets rather than create new items

Top Bottom