• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Top 100 2008

Rolf NB

Anyone happen to have this already in some sort of spreadsheet format? Import as pseudo-csv (with sapce as a separator) gets thrown off by the (varying number of) spaces within the titles, so every entry would have to be fixed manually.

Import from the Japanese html table might be easier conceptually but a)it's not translated and b)it would involve programming.

If noone's got this, I might be willing to take one for the team and do it myself, but ... not right now.

rainking187 said:
One 360 game in the top 100. Japanese developers have you realized Japan doesn't give a fuck about the 360 and you should probably stop making exclusive or timed exclusive RPGs for it?

there are around 800k units sold in Japan, #100 is around 130k, tell me how many games on 360 in Japan sold more than 130k... and Vesperia imo sold very well, considering the small userbase

i'm sure we'll see more 360 games when in August Famitsu top500 will arrive

test_account

XP-39C²
manueldelalas said:
Best selling games of 2008 in the USA.
Ye, i saw Kenka mentioned it, i thought at first that you ment in Japan :) Thanks for the answer! :) I think that MGS4 did pretty good in Japan concidered that it is on the PS3 though, which is a system that doesnt sell too much. It sold about 100-150k less than MGS2 and MGS3 (not counting the re-releases), which were on a much more popular platform (the PS2) :)

Spiegel

For comparison:

2007 TOP 100
DS - 59
PS2 - 18
Wii - 14
PSP - 5
PS3 - 4

2008 TOP 100

DS 47 (-12)
Wii 15 (+1)
PSP 15 (+10)
PS3 10 (+6)
PS2 12 (-6)
360 1 (+1)

PSP (+10)

peeasspee.gif

Rolf NB

Jonnyram said:
You are pulling shit out of your arse and passing it off as the truth. You know nothing about money passing hands, you just assume it's happening because of the platform choice.
You're such a man-fairy.

Spiegel

jj984jj said:
+10 from 5 whole games? :eek:

Yeah, Capcom/Sega/Bandai Namco/Square Enix/Konami/Koei must be pleased with those numbers.

DS - 26 third party games (Rocket Company, Square Enix, Konami, Bandai Namco, Level 5, Sega, Atlus, Marvelous, EA, Capcom, Enterbrain, IE Institute) - 21 Nintendo
PSP - 14 third party games (Capcom, Square Enix, Koei, Konami, Sega, Bandai Namco) - 1 SCEJ
PS2 - 12 third party games (Bandai Namco, Koei, Atlus, Konami, Sega) - 0 SCEJ
PS3 - 8 third party games (Capcom, Konami, Sega, Bandai Namco)- 2 SCEJ
Wii - 3 third party games (Hudson, Bandai Namco)- 12 Nintendo
360 - 1 third party game (Bandai Namco) - 0 MGS

Kenka

Spiegel said:
Yeah, Capcom/Sega/Bandai Namco/Square Enix/Konami/Koei must be pleased with those numbers.

DS - 26 third party games (Rocket Company, Square Enix, Konami, Bandai Namco, Level 5, Sega, Atlus, Marvelous, EA, Capcom, Enterbrain, IE Institute) - 21 Nintendo
PSP - 14 third party games (Capcom, Square Enix, Koei, Konami, Sega, Bandai Namco) - 1 SCEJ

Love your abbreviation of Microsoft Games Studios

Spiegel said:

It's pretty crazy considering the userbase, only three third party games sold more than 135k, and none of those more than ~250k.

TelemachusD said:
It's pretty crazy considering the userbase, only three third party games sold more than 135k, and none of those more than ~250k.

And yet not so crazy if you considers the efforts that have been put out. To actually fail you really do need to try.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
TelemachusD said:

Not so crazy considering the quality of the third party games released on the console.

Also, Deca Sports and Taiko are really big successes on the console.

Eteric Rice

manueldelalas said:
Not so crazy considering the quality of the third party games released on the console.

Also, Deca Sports and Taiko are really big successes on the console.

This.

Hopefully with a few new games coming from third parties this year, things will improve.

PuppetSlave said:
And yet not so crazy if you considers the efforts that have been put out. To actually fail you really do need to try.
I was including the lack of good third party software as part of the crazy.

TelemachusD said:
I was including the lack of good third party software as part of the crazy.

Yeah I just hope 2009 will be a better year. Early year looks pretty good but I wonder how the rest of the year will look.

DMeisterJ

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Whatever happened that lead to the decision to bring certain RPGs to certain platforms, it sure as hell ain't working.

Yeah, I don't know what that was about, but obviously, that did not go over too well considering only one of them made it to the top 100, and that was an established (sorta) franchise. I really would like to know what was going in the minds of the people who agreed to do this, especially given the platfrom's sales in Japan. Stupid, stupid decision.

Jonnyram

CrushDance said:
Like I said, over and over. There could be many reasons and paying for exclusives isn't something unique to any one company. I just stated what I believe to be the reason for some of these exclusives on 360 that for all intent and purposes makes no sense sales wise. Same for PS3 and the haze and etc crap.
Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey: dev costs covered by MS, published by MS.
Infinite Undiscovery: dev costs covered by MS, originally was to be published by MS, moved to SE for brand strength.
Star Ocean 4: followed IU because tri-Ace already had the engine up and running on 360.
The Last Remnant: Unreal Engine - we all know about Unreal Engine and 360 vs PS3.
Tales of Vesperia: Namco openly said that it was developed on 360 because it was cheaper to do so.
Eternal Sonata: No idea, and it came out on PS3 anyway.

Still butthurt about the situation?

onipex

TelemachusD said:

Wasn't the same said about the DS early on? Now that third parties are putting more effort into DS games they have a bigger share. If they put that effort into Wii games the same will likely happen.

Private Hoffman said:
Wii 15
PSP 15
PS3 10

PS3 seems to be doing okay in terms of game coverage (considering the userbase).

More like the DS is just...dominating.

Wii Music outsold every PS3 game, right? So... :lol

[edit]
BAH how did I miss MGSIV?

manueldelalas said:
Whoa! back up!

Your post says hardware...
LOL, read the original post. It says hardware there as well, because it's the hardware column. I just copied the chart that's all.
How could you even mistake that for hardware sales?! Did you think that the Japanese returned 10 million NDS to Nintendo? :lol

Again for anyone who's extra slow today:
Software sales by platform (+ growth rate)

Hardware | 2008 | 2007 | growth rate
NDS | 28,260,498 | 39,130,595 | -28%
PSP | 9,745,758 | 6,750,169 | +44%
Wii | 13,802,220 | 11,665,679 | +18%
PS3 | 5,155,082 | 2,951,390 | +75%
PS2 | 7,111,971 | 13,262,872 | -46%
360 | 1,770,034 | 1,480,551 | 20%
Other | 210,100 | 612,905 | -66%

I swear gaf get's dumber by the minute.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Only one western game in the entire top 100?

There's no defense for that. Zero.

I really don't see how anyone can deny the notion that Japan is xenophobic as all get-out when it comes to games. It's almost criminal.

jarrod

Banned
Shig said:
Only one western game in the entire top 100?

There's no defense for that. Zero.

I really don't see how anyone can deny the notion that Japan is xenophobic as all get-out when it comes to games. It's almost criminal.
lol. I remember one year (2007 maybe?) when the only "western" game in the top 100 was Mario Strikers. :lol

Facism

Jonnyram said:
Infinite Undiscovery: dev costs covered by MS, originally was to be published by MS, moved to SE for brand strength.
Star Ocean 4: followed IU because tri-Ace already had the engine up and running on 360.
The Last Remnant: Unreal Engine - we all know about Unreal Engine and 360 vs PS3.
Tales of Vesperia: Namco openly said that it was developed on 360 because it was cheaper to do so.

Why don't you discuss without the putdowns at the end? Reeks of a lack of confidence in your own argument.

jarrod

Banned
Jonnyram said:

Forgot Tengai Ziria (obvious PS2 port up, MEGA-flop) and ~EM (decent success, PS3 ported later). :D

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Phantast2k said:
LOL, read the original post. It says hardware there as well, because it's the hardware column. I just copied the chart that's all.
How could you even mistake that for hardware sales?! Did you think that the Japanese returned 10 million NDS to Nintendo? :lol

When I first replied (i.e. before the edit) it didn't say software. I was just clearing that point; only that, don't take it personal. You are just being paranoid. I was just pointing it out. dude!

Eteric Rice said:
Hopefully with a few new games coming from third parties this year, things will improve.

Monster Hunter G
Monster Hunter Trii
Suzumiya Haruhi (maybe both games, the dancing one is planned for next week, the adventure for March)
Deca Sports 2
FF:CC (maybe over 100k)
One Piece Episode 2 (maybe over 100k)

surely 2009 will see more 3rd party games selling well on Wii than last year

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Moor-Angol said:
Monster Hunter G
Monster Hunter Trii
Suzumiya Haruhi (maybe both games, the dancing one is planned for next week, the adventure for March)
Deca Sports 2

Tales of Ten (possibly Destiny 3)

Samurai Warriors 3

Possibly/probably FF:CC:CB

jarrod

Banned
Moor-Angol said:
Monster Hunter G
Monster Hunter Trii
Deca Sports 2

There's also...

-Tales of Ten
-Sengoku Musou 3 (leading on Wii)
-Winning Eleven Playmaker 2009

...for fairly high profile 3rd party stuff. Don't surprised if we see a DQVII remake either late this year or early next, to clear the way for DQX.

test_account

XP-39C²
lowlylowlycook said:
Wii Music outsold every PS3 game, right? So... :lol

[edit]
BAH how did I miss MGSIV?
Was Wii Music set/predicted to sell poorly in the first place though? From my experience, it seems that there are more people who were suprised at the slow start (when it comes to sales numbers) for Wii Music compared to the people who expected Wii Music not to have a good start.

Seeing how all the previous Wii-games (like Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wii Fit) have sold very well, and seeing how that many PS3 games have sold less compared to the previous games in a serie (for example Devil May Cry 4 just to take one example), and concidering that the Wii install base is about 3 times larger than the PS3 installbase, is it then too "lol-worthy" (or what i shall say) that Wii Music outsold every PS3 game, except for MGS? It seems to be more expected that Wii Music would outsell most of the PS3 games, at least before we saw the sales numbers for Wii Music in the 3-4 first week or so, but that is just my opinion :)

If it should be "lol-worthy", i dont think it changes too much of Private Hoffman's point. He said "PS3 seems to be doing okay in terms of game coverage (concidering the userbase)". Please correct me if i am wrong, but the way i understand this is that concidering that the PS3 installbase in Japan is at about 2.5 million, the PS3 is doing okay in game coverage by having 10 games in the Famitsu top 100 for 2008, even if Wii Music have outsold almost every PS3 game.

EDIT: I added and changed some text, sorry.

deepbrown

Phantast2k said:

Did people actually think that was hardware? lol :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
test_account said:
But even if it should be "lol-worthy", i dont think it changes too much of Private Hoffman's point. He said "PS3 seems to be doing okay in terms of game coverage (concidering the userbase)". Please correct me if i am wrong, but the way i understand this is that concidering that the PS3 installbase in Japan is at about 2.5 million, the PS3 is doing okay in game coverage by having 10 games in the Famitsu top 100 for 2008, even if Wii Music have outsold almost every PS3 game.

I guess it's doing ok for the userbase, but looking at the games that charted, those are some pretty sure bets you got there.

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
I guess it's doing ok for the userbase, but looking at the games that charted, those are some pretty sure bets you got there.
I agree, and sure, it would probably have been a bigger accomplishment (or what i shall say) if there were more Playstation 3 (or for any console for that matter) games that wasnt expected to chart in the Famitsu top 100, but that still charted in the Famitsu top 100, but those PS3 games still sold what they sold and they are still in the top 100 :)

Isnt this the same with for example the Wii by the way? Werent most of the Wii game in the top 100 are some pretty sure bets as well? But those games still sold what they sold and they are still in the top 100 :) The Wii games that i dont think were sure bets were Deca Sports, Mario Party 8 and Mario & Sonic at the Olympics (MP8 and M&S were released in 2007, that is why i dont think these games were a sure bet to chart in the top 100 for 2008), and maybe Taiko no Tatsujin Wii since i am not sure how the other Taiko games on consoles has sold before in Japan.

I guess that this was Private Hoffman's point, that the PS3 has 10 games in the Famitsu Top 100, and that the PS3 has a okay game coverage because of this, but please correct me if i am wrong :) Even if Wii Music should have sold like a million copies in Japan by now, those 10 PS3 games would most likely still have been in the Famitsu top 100.

I understood lowlylowlycook's comment that Wii Music was expected to sell poorly and still Wii Music managed to outsell every PS3 game except for Metal Gear Solid 4, which ment that the PS3 sales (except MGS4) were bad because of this. In afterthough i am not sure if this is what he ment though. Maybe he ment that the PS3 games that charted in the Famitsu top 100 were much more popular games (popular as in title, like Devil May Cry and Pro Evolution Soccer for example) than Wii Music. But i missunderstood what lowlylowlycook ment, then please correct me if i am wrong :)

But i dont think that Wii Music were expected to sell like it did, i think it was expected that Wii Music would sell more, especially seeing how Wii Fit, Wii Play and Wii Sports have sold, but who knows? :)

Wii Music is still a different game from the previous Wii-games though, even if it has "Wii" in it's title, so i guess it was not a 100% sure bet that Wii Music would preform similar like Wii Fit, Wii Play and Wii Sports has done/are doing.

I wanted to ask if it should be "lol-worthy" that Wii Music outsold almost every PS3 game, would Private Hoffman's point have changed even if Wii Music should have outsold every PS3 game, even MGS4? :)

EDIT: I added some text.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Jonnyram said:

You hear that crushdance the gauntlet has been thrown down. Never go against the brotherhood or be butthurt, I suppose.

Facism said:
Why don't you discuss without the putdowns at the end? Reeks of a lack of confidence in your own argument.

It would not be a jonnyram post if there wasn't one.

I notice a few date mistakes on yso (things like -10 becoming -01), but here's the first I notice here:

53. [PS2] Dynasty Warriors 6 (Koei) 223,328 / 555,496
That was a new release in 2008. I think you're adding it to a previous PS3 total or something.

Spiegel

NDS

Sales Top 100 = 17,119,545
Sales Outside Top 100 = 11,140,953

61% Top 100

Wii

Sales Top 100 = 10,385,780
Sales Outside Top 100 = 3,416,440

75% Top 100

PSP

Sales Top 100 = 6,210,166
Sales Outside Top 100 = 3,535,592

64% Top 100

Ps2

Sales Top 100 = 2,849,627
Sales Outside Top 100 = 4,262,344

40% Top 100

Ps3

Sales Top 100 =2,698,286
Sales Outside Top 100 = 2,456,796

52% Top 100

Sales Top 100 = 161,070
Sales Outside Top 100 = 1,680,964

9.5% Top 100

FoxSpirit

bttb said:
Hardware Sales
Code:
Hardware |    2008    |    2007    |    LTD  
NDS      |  4,029,804 |  7,130,228 | 25,135,276
PSP      |  3,543,171 |  3,022,659 | 11,078,484
Wii      |  2,908,342 |  3,629,361 |  7,526,821
-----------------------------------------------
DSi      |  1,280,092 |            |
PSP-3000 |    788,764 |            |
Software Sales
Code:
Hardware |    2008    |    2007
NDS      | 28,260,498 | 39,130,595
PSP      |  9,745,758 |  6,750,169
Wii      | 13,802,220 | 11,665,679

Wow, just take a look at the PSP. While overall sales only rose by about 10%, it still almost expanded it's installed base by 33% in a single year!!
Software is even more crazy, almost up 45% in just one year!!

Well done, PSP, well done :D

Top Bottom