• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Top 100 2008

Grimmy

Banned
hateradio said:
B/c they're putting all their money on KZ2 .... :/

Most all PS fans are RPG fanboys at heart, but where are the RPGs!? Where :'(
(and yes this is hyperbole)

Where?? :/

Your wish is granted by Sony on February 5th.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
icecream said:
So you don't want RPGs then?
We want good and promising RPGs, not some pseudo DD crap that looks like stuff you can play on a PC.

And what I meant is that they need to encourage dev's to make JRPGs for their system, not let them go to the 360 :? like they have been doing.

Grimmy

Banned
hateradio said:
We want good and promising RPGs, not some pseudo DD crap that looks like stuff you can play on a PC.

And what I meant is that they need to encourage dev's to make JRPGs for their system, not let them go to the 360 :? like they have been doing.

This was your quote:

hateradio said:
B/c they're putting all their money on KZ2 .... :/

Most all PS fans are RPG fanboys at heart, but where are the RPGs!? Where :'(
(and yes this is hyperbole)

Where?? :/

I didn't realise that when you said RPG you meant the meaning of RPGs that only fit your own narrow definition. Because Demon's Souls fits exactly into the description of what you just wrote.

I personally hope for the best for DEMON'S SOULS. If it manages to carry on the KING'S FIELD legacy then it will be even better. But then, I love RPGS. RPGs that includes Wizardry & Ultimas as well as Final Fantasy and Persona.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I guess I should have been more clear? Oh well. I'm not a big fan of Form Software ... and DS doesn't seem very interesting, but that's just imo. Besides, having one RPG in Sony's personal basket doesn't help. FFXIII seems to be the only one true "big hitter" but it's not exclusive outside of Japan of course. Then Versus, and then ??? who knows, maybe some ports. I doubt WKC/Complete would happen.

That's that. Are there any other notable RPGs?

Oh, edit: Like I said ports, LR PS3 has seem to have fallen off the face of the planet, but then again, I haven't had much personal interest in it either
too predictable

jarrod

Banned
Shadow780 said:
Well if I understand correctly he said Sony is internally developing 5 titles, wasn't DS and WKC developed by third parties?
In all SCEI's R&D history, I'm only aware of 3 RPGs they developed entirely inhouse (Popolocrois 3-4 and Legend of Dragoon). Everything else has been partially or entirely outsourced to 3rd parties. In fact, the vast, vast majority of SCEI's games are outsourced.

CrushDance said:
:lol I guess Microsoft paid for development costs out of charity right?
I wish they'd throw some "charity" at Gooch for Cry-On. :(

bttb said:
Hardware Sales
Code:
Hardware |    2008    |    2007    |    LTD  
NDS      |  4,029,804 |  7,130,228 | 25,135,276
PSP      |  3,543,171 |  3,022,659 | 11,078,484
Wii      |  2,908,342 |  3,629,361 |  7,526,821
PS3      |    991,303 |  1,206,347 |  2,664,366
PS2      |    480,664 |    816,419 | 21,547,802
360      |    317,859 |    257,841 |    866,167
So this is pretty interesting. Famitsu has a habit of combining major weeks when they can't be assed to report them separately. However, since these totals end right in the middle of the two weeks they recently mashed together, we should be able to deduce what each of the individual weeks were. Going even further, since there's a 2007 total given, we might even be able to unsplit the old combined number for the last week of 2006 and first week of 2007. But for now I focus on 2008.

There are actually two methods we can use to try to figure out the weeks. One would be going with the lifetime sales given through the end of 2008, then subtracting what we have as the lifetime sales through the week starting 2008-12-15. The other would be to take the 2008 total given, and subtract what we have as the total for the weeks of 2007-12-31 through 2008-12-15. I've done both. If they match, then it seems like a Good Fit. If they don't, something is up. Of course, if I've got an existing mistake somewhere in my data, using that as a basis for subtraction could cause some minor errors, but hey.

Pretty sure

Wii
2008-12-22: 162,285
2008-12-29: 141,445

DSi
2008-12-22: 217,676
2008-12-29: 200,667
Though since this is new to 2008, both methods of figuring out the missing weeks used the exact same numbers.

PS3
2008-12-22: 48,815
2008-12-29: 67,998

PSP
2008-12-22: 120,036
2008-12-29: 169,208

X360
2008-12-22: 13,017
2008-12-29: 18,930

Less sure
If anyone else who keeps track of this stuff wants to double check these, that'd be good. It's always possible the mistake is on my end.

DSL
It gave total NDS numbers as well as DSi numbers. I subtracted the latter from the former and then used previous totals of DS+DSL; since they haven't given original model DS numbers since September 2007, I figured that would be a non-factor. However, using the "subtract from 2008 total" method I get 57,736 for the first missing week, and using the "subtract from lifetime total" method I get 57,961 for the first missing week.

PS2
The lifetime PS2 total I have from old numbers is vastly different from what Famitsu claims as the LTD, but I've known that for a while. I don't know if this means one of my old sources of Famitsu data had errors or Famitsu just changed the PS2 lifetime total behind the scenes on the sly. Whatever the reason, though, this means I can't possibly get a match using both methods. However, using the "subtract from 2008 total" method I get 13,010 for the first week and 18,998 for the second.

I corrected some errors in my weekly numbers, and now my version of the PS3 number matches what bttb posted. The others are probably right, too; I just haven't figured out all my errors. I think my version of unsplitting last year's joined year-crossing two-week period has some problems which are throwing things off.

Johann

hateradio said:
I guess I should have been more clear? Oh well. I'm not a big fan of Form Software ... and DS doesn't seem very interesting, but that's just imo. Besides, having one RPG in Sony's personal basket doesn't help. FFXIII seems to be the only one true "big hitter" but it's not exclusive outside of Japan of course. Then Versus, and then ??? who knows, maybe some ports. I doubt WKC/Complete would happen.

That's that. Are there any other notable RPGs?

Oh, edit: Like I said ports, LR PS3 has seem to have fallen off the face of the planet, but then again, I haven't had much personal interest in it either
too predictable

I'd imagine most HD JRPGs will be on both HD twins from here on out. Square-Enix has sent a clear message to anyone attempting a HD RPG by making a historically exclusive main entry in a franchise into a multi-platform release. I wouldn't be surprised if Versus becomes multi-platform some where down the line.

It'll come down to first-party exclusives. We've seen Sony favoring Western titles, such as action-adventure and shooters, over Japan-centric titles. Microsoft will probably ease up on the gas in regards to funding JRPGs. They got the ball rolling and they are at "JRPG parity" (if not ahead) with the PS3.

Now that's some interesting stuff. Some low enough that it won't even be on the eventual Top 500 list.

The Gyakuten Saiban "NEW Best Price! 2000" releases sticks out in particular; since Ace Attorney in general has thrived on rereleases I figured these would do crazy things out of sight. Using the data from the last time they were each in the Top 30 (April/May), the sum of the four releases was 91,134. Through the end of 2008 they're at a combined 333,709. I also notice that GS4/Apollo Justice was the first to drop out of sight and thus appeared to be doing worst, but since then it came back to #2. They're all pretty even, though.

EDIT: Ahaha. Haven't put these numbers in Garaph yet, but when I do it appears the original release of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney will once again appear to be the worst-selling. DS best price > DS original > DS NEW best price > GBA best price > GBA original. Though honestly since we weren't getting Top 500s in 2002/2003 it probably did a bit better out of sight. Probably it did enough more to at least pass the GBA best price version.

Got in just the DS numbers for now.

2858 = GS1
2871 = GS4
2872 = GS3
2859 = GS2

Zoe

jarrod said:
Level 5? I think they're too busy with DS/PSP/Wii...

They appear to have a steady stream of DLC for WKC coming out (second one hits tomorrow). Plus there are certainly going to be more installments of the series.

Spiegel

jarrod said:
See what? It's still Horii's worst selling game this gen by a huge margin. :lol

So long PlayStation family...

Are we moving goals now? You said Itadaki PSP was the worst selling Armor Project since the merging!
Well, It's not the worst selling, it's the second worst selling! (and the only port in the list)

Jeez, it was just something funny.

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
Are we moving goals now? You said Itadaki PSP was the worst selling Armor Project since the merging!
Well, It's not the worst selling, it's the second worst selling! (and the only port in the list)

Jeez, it was just something funny.
Eh... well, I guess eventually limping past the Torneko 3 GBA port must be a nice victory after all and it only took Final Fantasy AND Dragon Quest on top to do it. Can't wait for the DQXI PSP announcement. :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
jarrod said:
Eh... well, I guess eventually limping past the Torneko 3 GBA port must be a nice victory after all and it only took Final Fantasy AND Dragon Quest on top to do it. Can't wait for the DQXI PSP announcement. :lol
Did these extra 43,460 copies sold of Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable change anything about what you said about that the game underpreformed though? :)

In this previous post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14444789&postcount=423

jarrod

Banned
test_account said:
Did these extra 43,460 copies sold of Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable change anything about what you said about that the game underpreformed though? :)

In this previous post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14444789&postcount=423
Not really. At the time Itadaki's performance was pretty lukewarm, and likely factored into Horii's future platform plans. If it'd had sold better, he'd have probably done more PSP games.

That said, the game did okay for what it was. Not great, not terrible, just okay.

test_account

XP-39C²
jarrod said:
Not really. At the time Itadaki's performance was pretty lukewarm, and likely factored into Horii's future platform plans. If it'd had sold better, he'd have probably done more PSP games.

That said, the game did okay for what it was. Not great, not terrible, just okay.
Ok :) Not to go too much off-topic, but how does Itadaki Street for the PSP compare to other handhelds (or consoles for that matter) ports? If i am not mistaken, Itadaki Street for the PSP was pretty much a straight port of the PS2 game? If this is the case, then i think of other ports that are pretty much a direct port, not re-makes or ports that have relatively much added extra material compared to how much material the first version of the game had.

Ye, the first PSP version came out in 2006 and this Ultimate Hits re-release came out in 2008 (i think?), so the decition about supporting the PSP anymore might have already been made before the Ultimate Hits re-release was released, so might be that this Ultimate Hits re-release wont/wouldnt change anything anyway.

Maybe the preformance of Itadaki Street for the PSP had something to do with their future plans to support the PSP, but i think it would be a pity to just test out the PSP market with an PS2 port back in 2006 instead of making a new game for the PSP instead and test how that would sell, at least in my opinion. The PSP has shown that games could sell now. But their games does great on the DS, so maybe they dont see the need to try to test out the PSP in case it doesnt suceed like they want, i dont know :\

EDIT: I added some text.

jarrod

Banned
test_account said:
Ok :) Not to go too much off-topic, but how does Itadaki Street for the PSP compare to other handhelds (or consoles for that matter) ports? If i am not mistaken, Itadaki Street for the PSP was pretty much a straight port of the PS2 game? If this is the case, then i think of other ports that are pretty much a direct port, not re-makes or ports that have relatively much added extra material compared to how much material the first version of the game had.

Ye, the first PSP version came out in 2006 and this Ultimate Hits re-release came out in 2008 (i think?), so the decition about supporting the PSP anymore might have already been made before the Ultimate Hits re-release was released, so might be that this Ultimate Hits re-release wont/wouldnt change anything anyway.

Maybe the preformance of Itadaki Street for the PSP had something to do with their future plans to support the PSP, but i think it would be a pity to just test out the PSP market with an PS2 port back in 2006 instead of making a new game for the PSP instead and test how that would sell, at least in my opinion. The PSP has shown that games could sell now. But their games does great on the DS, so maybe they dont see the need to try to test out the PSP in case it doesnt suceed like they want, i dont know :\

EDIT: I added some text.
Itadaki PSP wasn't a direct port iirc, it followed Sony's vague "120%" rule with some new content (mainly new characters and boards I think). It also launched pretty early on PSP, at a time when there wasn't really much in terms of competition and before the bottom had dropped out on PSP software sales. It sold less than a third what the PS2 original did... which is probably in line for most PS2 to PSP ports that aren't Monster Hunter.

Honestly, I think Horii should reconsider PSP. Even if just for something like a Shonen Yangus or Battle Road port or whatever, seems like those sorts of spinoffs would probably do okay.

test_account

XP-39C²
jarrod said:
Itadaki PSP wasn't a direct port iirc, it followed Sony's vague "120%" rule with some new content (mainly new characters and boards I think). It also launched pretty early on PSP, at a time when there wasn't really much in terms of competition and before the bottom had dropped out on PSP software sales. It sold less than a third what the PS2 original did... which is probably in line for most PS2 to PSP ports that aren't Monster Hunter.
Ah ok, i thought it was pretty much a straight port from the PS2 version, i am sorry :\ You are right, there are new stuff added, at least 4 new characters and maybe some new boards as you say :)

http://pspupdates.qj.net/category/Dragon-Quest-Final-Fantasy-in-Itadaki-Street-Portable/cid/1188

Ye, but it is still a port of an PS2 game though, much competition or not :) Sure, the more competition, the harder it might be to sell, and i fully agree, but maybe many of the people who were interested in the game had already played the PS2 version and because of this maybe they werent so interested in the PSP version, even if there were little competition with the PSP software at that time, i dont know, i am just guessing :)

Ok, so it has sold about what the other PS2 ports has done? Ye, than the preformace seems to be ok as you said, i agree :) Thanks for the info! :)

jarrod said:
Honestly, I think Horii should reconsider PSP. Even if just for something like a Shonen Yangus or Battle Road port or whatever, seems like those sorts of spinoffs would probably do okay.
Ye, i agree, it might have been worth it for Horii to give the PSP another chance, even if it is just a port of some game as you say :) I wonder how they would sell now on the PSP, maybe they could have made some money on the PSP now.

Spiegel

Itadaki PS2 was the first game with Final Fantasy AND Dragon Quest characters and it was released in Christmas. The previous Itadaki game on ps2 (Itadaki Street three billionaires on you! To tutor with!) sold 163k LTD

http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php?gameid=973

Itadaki PSP didn't have the novelty of being the first game with FF & DQ characters, it wasn't released in Christmas, it was a port with some extras and sold ~ like the first Itadaki Ps2.

I don't see where is the problem or the disappointment

A DQ on psp would be nice but it doesn't seem likely.

cvxfreak

Gyakuten Saiban 4: 598,101
Gyakuten Saiban: 468,611
Gyakuten Saiban 2: 288 553
Gyakuten Saiban 3: 251,302

I think GS2 and GS3 are above 400K when you count their GBA counterparts too.

Seems Capcom's game do well when they budget price them, even more than once. Even Biohazard Deadly Silence got two budget re-releases. I'm pretty sure that one will sell quite well if we see it on the charts again.

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
So what you're saying is, It'd take adding FF&DQ (plus a budget rerelease) to a game on PSP to manage what it normally would've on PS2? :lol

Spiegel

jarrod said:
So what you're saying is, It'd take adding FF&DQ (plus a budget rerelease) to a game on PSP to manage what it normally would've on PS2? :lol

Well, one was a NEW game, the other was a port with some extras.

PD Skies of arcadia Gc *wink*

test_account

XP-39C²
Spiegel said:
Itadaki PS2 was the first game with Final Fantasy AND Dragon Quest characters and it was released in Christmas. The previous Itadaki game on ps2 (Itadaki Street three billionaires on you! To tutor with!) sold 163k LTD

http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php?gameid=973

Itadaki PSP didn't have the novelty of being the first game with FF & DQ characters, it wasn't released in Christmas, it was a port with some extras and sold ~ like the first Itadaki Ps2.

Ah, compared to the first Itadaki Street game on the PS2, the PSP port of Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street PS2 seems to be fairy good i think :) Granted, the Ultimate Hits re-release was released relatively late compared to the first release (i think so at least?), so those 43,460 copies that were sold in 2008 might have been sold too "late", i mean, maybe Horii took their decition not to make more PSP games before they saw how the Ultimate Hits re-release sold, but i am not sure :\

Ye, i dont think that Horii should be disappointed on how Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable sold. I am not saying that they are disappointed, but hypotetically if they should be dissapointed, then i dont think there is too much reasons to be so :) Maybe they wanted the PS2 port to sell better on the PSP what the did, but i would guess that they made money on this port at least, and especially after seeing how the "BEST" version sold (even if this version is cheaper in price, maybe they still made money on it) :)

I do think it is an interesting question that jarrod asks why they havnt made more PSP games though, but i have no idea if one of the reasons is because they arent too happy about on how Itadaki Street for the PSP sold or if they are too occupied with making games for the DS and the Wii instead and/or that they are happy with how their DS games are selling (have they released any Wii games yet?) :)

cvxfreak said:

Seems Capcom's game do well when they budget price them, even more than once. Even Biohazard Deadly Silence got two budget re-releases. I'm pretty sure that one will sell quite well if we see it on the charts again.
Nice sales for the Gyakuten Saiban games i must say! :)

donny2112

bttb said:
10. [360] Atsumare! Pinata, Platinum Collection (Microsoft) 45,695 / 101,552

That's not possible. The Platinum Collection release of Viva Pinata was released in 2008, so it wouldn't have a 2007 total. It also can't be the regular release combined with the Platinum release, since the regular release didn't make the 2007 Top 500 listing which cutoff at ~19K.

bttb said:
11. [360] Forza Motorsport 2, Platinum Collection (Microsoft) 44,734 / 100,591

Likewise not possible, since the Platinum Collection release was in 2008, and the regular total was 31,255 and no longer selling at the end of 2007.

Edit:
OK, I think I figured it out. A combo disk of Forza 2 with Viva Pinata was sold starting November 1, 2007. Apparently Famitsu didn't report those numbers in the 2007 Top 500. However since both Forza 2 and Viva Pinata's 2007 total is 55,857, this has to be the combo pack numbers combined with the actual Platinum release numbers for 2008 for each of these games. This would be similar to Famitsu applying the combo disk of Ace Combat 6 and Beautiful Katamari as sales toward both individual game's totals.

I guess the AC6/BK separation wasn't a mistake on Famitsu's part, but rather evidence of a policy change in how they track the sales of combo disks.

Thanks, bttb! :)

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
Well, one was a NEW game, the other was a port with some extras.

PD Skies of arcadia Gc *wink*
I wonder how the GCN port would've sold if it was "FINAL FANTASY and DRAGON QUEST in Eternal Arcadia Legends"? :lol

Spiegel

jarrod said:
I wonder how the GCN port would've sold if it was "FINAL FANTASY and DRAGON QUEST in Eternal Arcadia Legends"? :lol

That's not the point.

Skies of Arcadia DC sells 70k+
Skies of Arcadia GC sells 7k+

And you say: "Of course SoA Gc was going to sell like it did, it was a shoddy port!"

But now Itadaki PSP is some kind of disappointment because it sold one third of the original game without having the novelty of being the first ever game with FF & DQ characters and without being released in Christmas.

Kenka

cvxfreak said:

So bascially, Gyakuten has become to Capcom what Taiko no Tatsujin is to Namco. A niche game that seduced rapidly a new audience (I know that Taiko had much success on PS family before but sales kinda died down with time).

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
That's not the point.

Skies of Arcadia DC sells 70k+
Skies of Arcadia GC sells 7k+

And you say: "Of course SoA Gc was going to sell like it did, it was a shoddy port!"

But now Itadaki PSP is some kind of disappointment because it sold one third of the original game without having the novelty of being the first ever game with FF & DQ characters and without being released in Christmas.
Skies GC 7k was 1st week btw, we never got lifetime sales. If it crawled to 20k eventually, it'd have matched FINAL FANTASY and DRAGON QUEST PSP's ratio. Then there's also western sales (it beat Skies DC in the US iirc).

Also, I doubt Horii gives a shit what Skies sold, it's not his game. ;)

Spiegel

jarrod said:
Skies GC 7k was 1st week btw, we never got lifetime sales. If it crawled to 20k eventually, it'd have matched FINAL FANTASY and DRAGON QUEST PSP's ratio. Then there's also western sales (it beat Skies DC in the US iirc).

Not really, Itadaki PSP has crawled to 150k so, even if SoA crawled to 20k (I doubt that) the ratio would be highly different.
Final Fantasy ports aren't something special, they never sell as good as the original game

And you were talking about japanese sales. But it's ok, you can change the subject to try to prove your point.

jarrod said:
Also, I doubt Horii gives a shit what Skies sold, it's not his game. ;)

But you do!
One is a disappointment, the other is not.

Pyrokai

eXistor said:
:( @ Super Mario Galaxy not even getting 1 million.

This makes me so sad :( . If Nintendo's "hardcore" games, as they put it, don't sell, I worry they won't even bother if the money is in their Brain Age and Training games. This is a huge fear of mine. SMG is one of Nintendo's finest works....why hasn't it sold? :(

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
Not really, Itadaki PSP has crawled to 150k so, even if SoA crawled to 20k (I doubt that) the ratio would be highly different.
No, Itadaki's separately tracked budget rerelease pushed it to 150k. It only sold 110k versus Itadaki PS2's 380k (also not counting it's own budget rerelease). ;)

Had Skies gotten a budget rerelease, I bet it'd have moved the 6k or so to keep pace. :lol

Spiegel said:
And you were talking about japanese sales. But it's ok, you can change the subject to try to prove your point.
Well, I'm clearly learning from the master here. :lol

Spiegel said:
But you do!
One is a disappointment, the other is not.
I don't care either way. You'll also notice where I mentioned Itadaki's PSP sales were okay for what it was?

You seem to have an issue reconciling that... while figures may be okay all things considered, they probably weren't what Horii was looking for...

Top Bottom