• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Scans of Halo 3 PICS OF THE FORGE IN ACTION!

GhaleonEB

MirageDwarf said:
I remember Halo 2 did around $125 mil on first day. My guess for Halo 3 is between $130 - $140 mil on first day. What do you guys think?
Far, far more than that. Remember, Halo 2 sold at $50 and $55 for the CE version of the game. Halo 3 is selling at $60, $70 and $130. Even if it sold fewer copies, total sales revenue will be higher.

Also, the $125m figure (from 2.4m units) is for the US only. Halo 3 launches in multiple territories on the 25th, and then in Europe on the 26th. So I suspect the first PR we get from MS will be for the first 24 hours in each territory, combined.

Let's assume - for a moment - that they sell all 450k of Legendary Editions on day one (for simplicity's sake).

That's $58.5m right there, for only 450k units. If Halo 3's world-wide debut only matches Halo 2's US day-one sales, that would leave 1.95m units left. Assume a 50/50 split for the CE/Regular (a reasonable assumption since the hard-core will be out day one). That's an additional $126.75m from those, for a total of $185.25m in day-one revenue.

And that's if world-wide sales match Halo 2's US-only day-one sales. Now, the actual mix will undoubtedly be different, and the 360 does have a lower installed base than the Xbox did at the time Halo 2 shipped, so the actual number could be really different. But I think it will undoubtedly be higher than $125m. I would not rule out $200m, personally.

GhaleonEB

thekad said:
EGM scans said that Guardian was the spiritual successor to Lockout and everyone, including you, assumed that it was. Stop being stupid.
No, they did NOT. They said it's a similarly sized map. Not a successor.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
No, they did NOT. They said it's a similarly sized map. Not a successor.

Not to be inflammatory, but quoted from page 70:

"Guardian, lovingly referred to as 'Jub Jub' on Bungie's own website (you'll see why in a sec), is the spiritual successor to popular Halo 2 map Lockout."

This is the same way that Valhalla was said to be the spiritual successor to Coagulation and Blood Gulch, in the end it does not mean that the maps have to be similar in many (or really any) ways, just that they play similarly. At any rate, I'm sure that they will not "ruin" Lockout, or any other map, and I'm sure that if they do remake any maps, they will fix the problems that those maps had in Halo 2 (Burial Mounds need to be megafixed if it comes back)

thekad said:
EGM scans said that Guardian was the spiritual successor to Lockout and everyone, including you, assumed that it was. Stop being stupid.
Dude, how do you define spirtual successor? They described Valhalla as the same for Blood Gulch/Coagulation, but as Frank stated more than once on this forum, it's not at all a successor.

I've always understood "spiritual successor" to mean that it captures the style of gameplay, but is not a reiteration like other maps in the Halo lineage. No one needed to really explain that to me, I only needed to see the first few screenshots of Valhalla to draw that conclusion.

thekad said:
I actually partially agree with you on some other points but your lockout comments were ridiculous. All you have seen are some small screenshots of it in in some scans. You haven't even played the map and yet you are claiming it is ruined. For all you know it could be more fun than Lockout.

I could understand if you don't like the new setting, but c'mon, you can't judge gameplay through screenshots (shitty ones, at that).

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
thekad said:

Stupid. Right.

So Bungie r00ned the map EGM called Lockout's "spiritual successor". Gotcha. What's r00ned about it, if I might ask?

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
urk said:
Stupid. Right.

So Bungie r00ned the map EGM called Lockout's "spiritual successor". Gotcha. What's r00ned about it, if I might ask?

I would suppose: it's not a replication of Lockout.

DD-11

thekad said:

Spiritual successor doesn't mean remake or Lockout 2. You know Shadow of the Colossus is the spiritual successor to Ico, right? Try thinking for a moment before entering your brand of crap into the reply box. Or, at the very least, look up the meaning of words and phrases that give you trouble so a perfectly good thread doesn't turn to shit. Want to guess again as to who is being stupid?

EDIT: beaten 50 thousand times :lol

thekad

Banned
urk said:
Stupid. Right.

Stinkles already confirmed that Guardian has nothing to do with Lockout. Now that I know that, I'll have to play on it to know whether or not it is a well made map. And now I can keep hoping that we get Lockout in Halo 3. You gonna stop crying now?

S1kkZ

GhaleonEB said:
Let's assume - for a moment - that they sell all 450k of Legendary Editions on day one (for simplicity's sake).

i know you took these numbers for simplicity's sake, but i thought the legendary is way more limited (i heard something about 10 000 max, worldwide).

Instigator said:
Any chance Campaign in Halo 3 will get a few extra levels beyond the 9 already known to exist?
9 levels of Halo 3 are said to be around the same length together as the campaigns for Halo 1 and 2. I wouldn't worry about it.

S1kkZ said:
i know you took these numbers for simplicity's sake, but i thought the legendary is way more limited (i heard something about 10 000 max, worldwide).

No, the 450k is from when they were talking about the design and construction of the legendary edition, and said they were producing at least that many. It's a minimum... and probably pretty close to a maximum as well.

urk said:
We can. Bu it's annoying to read people saying shit like, "OMG Bungie r00ned Lockout. Why do you hate your fans, Bungie?" Especially since no information about Lockout for Halo 3 has been released. We don't even know if it's in-game at all in any form, let alone totally r00ned by a bunch of liars.
Initially I had same feeling about posts like that. Now over the time, I've learned to pass those comments easily unless person is criticizing it rationally.

Teen Ape said:
At $60,$70, and $130 a pop compared to only $50 and $60 variants...Halo 3 has the potential to make A LOT more money than Halo 2 on day one.

Havok said:
I would think it depends on how many of the Legendary Edition owners show up that night, considering that they will be paying twice as much as most of the other people buying the game. If all the 450,000 (which may or may not be an accurate number anymore) preorders show up on Day 1, then I would imagine that it would do a significant amount more than Halo 2 on opening day. Adding to that, the MSRP for the normal edition is $10 higher than Halo 2's normal edition, which adds even more to the potential revenue.

GhaleonEB said:
Now, the actual mix will undoubtedly be different, and the 360 does have a lower installed base than the Xbox did at the time Halo 2 shipped, so the actual number could be really different. But I think it will undoubtedly be higher than $125m. I would not rule out $200m, personally.

Looks like I picked totally wrong parameter to compare. You guys are right. I totally overlooked increased price for this generation. My assumption was based on the fact that Halo 2 came late in Xbox's lifespan. I think final sales of Halo 3 would surpass Halo 2 with no problem in terms of number of units.

Havok

S1kkZ said:

From Bungie's interview with the guys in charge of creating the helmets:

Jeff Sanborn regarding the challenges of creating the Legendary Edition said:
When we look at other “like” items out in the market place we have seen a number of high quality collectors icons created for movie titles by various studios. These have tended to be short or very limited production. Given the scale and magnitude of the Halo 3 launch and demand exceeding 450,00 units, it requires a whole different set of thinking in terms of materials, industrial design, and deco methods. To this end I feel that challenged everybody in the extended supply and manufacturing chain to bring their “A-game.”

So it could potentially be even greater than that (and I wouldn't be surprised if it was indeed thousands greater).

TDG

Banned
I know everyone else has said this, but:
Spiritual Successor is totally different from "remake".

Last Resort is a remake of Zanzibar.
High Ground is the spiritual successor to Zanzibar.

There's a difference. Get it?

ALSO:
Anyone want to play some Halo 2? I'm bored.

LukeSmith

S1kkZ said:

Incorrect. More than 10k are being made. Your sources need some halp.

Mr Vociferous said:
9 levels of Halo 3 are said to be around the same length together as the campaigns for Halo 1 and 2. I wouldn't worry about it.

But it's a slightly lower number than either Halo 1 or 2, and both were rushed on top of that. :)

I know, it can still be quality over quantity, but since this is the last of these Halo games and it's not likely there will some extra levels to buy (like you see for the multiplayer portion of the game), you can not blame someone for wanting a little more.

S1kkZ

LukeSmith said:
Incorrect. More than 10k are being made. Your sources need some halp.

ok, thanks for clearing that up.

any info if the european version will have multiple dubbings?

Instigator said:
But it's a slightly lower number than either Halo 1 or 2, and both were rushed on top of that. :)

I know, it can still be quality over quantity, but since this is the last of these Halo games and it's not likely there will some extra levels to buy (like you see for the multiplayer portion of the game), you can not blame someone for wanting a little more.
Numbers don't really hold any value when calculating length. If every level was like Cairo Station or the Pillar of Autumn, they could have 20 and I'd ultimately feel unsatisfied.

Personally, I determine "length" by replayability. If something is so enjoyable that it can be replayed over and over again, not losing its value and possibly even gaining value as it is played - it's a great and "long" game. I think Halo 3 will have that. I mean, we've got an amazing-looking campaign, said to be the best of the series, we have a very extensive multiplayer building on Halo 1 and 2's with massive volumes of new features and functions, we've got a Saved Films option which allows us to view and capture moments/segments of gameplay and view them with our friends, we've got the campaign metagames which make campaign a competitive multiplayer experience, and then we have Forge which allows us to customize the multiplayer gameplay and physical assets, opening the floodgates to even more possibilities.

Who knows what else might be in store? I think Halo 3 will have the largest bulk distribution of raw features/options/modes than any other console game this year - and most likely for several years.

I don't know how they're going to make 9gb work...honestly.

GhaleonEB

Havok said:
Not to be inflammatory, but quoted from page 70:

"Guardian, lovingly referred to as 'Jub Jub' on Bungie's own website (you'll see why in a sec), is the spiritual successor to popular Halo 2 map Lockout."
You're not being inflammatory, you're correcting me. :)

I think I was confusing the article with a post Frank made here about that map not being Lockout at all. My bad.

GhaleonEB

Shoe is on the lastest Podtacular, a Halo-focused podcast. About 2/3 of the interview is about Halo 3, and Shoe talks a lot about some of the features and content. He also talks about the leak, and how they tracked down the leaker. :eek

One thing jumped out at the end, when he talkes about the features in the game. He said it's actually overwhelming, trying to wrap your mind around it. Campaign, then Campaign in co-op, then Campaign in co-op and the Meta-game. Then mixing up the Meta-game with skulls. The huge customizability of multiplayer, all the new weapons and vehicles, then Forge on top of that, Saved Films, file sharing....he says something to the effect of, there's enough content for two or three fully-featured games. I knew all of what he said, but there was something about having it all laid out as he did that made me realize even more so just how enormous the games feature set is going to be.

Show is worth a listen.

http://podtacular.com/node/5461

GhaleonEB said:
Shoe is on the lastest Podtacular, a Halo-focused podcast. About 2/3 of the interview is about Halo 3, and Shoe talks a lot about some of the features and content. He also talks about the leak, and how they tracked down the leaker. :eek

Show is worth a listen.

http://podtacular.com/node/5461

Awesome. I don't listen to Podtacular very often, but this is an excellent excuse!

How long have these guys been doing a podcast? Some of this is incredibly difficult to listen to...cringe-worthy, I might say and I'm not referring to Dan's parts.

SpudBud

Mr Vociferous said:
How long have these guys been doing a podcast? Some of this is incredibly difficult to listen to...cringe-worthy, I might say and I'm not referring to Dan's parts.
Yeah, it wasn't the best podcast I've ever listen too.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Mr Vociferous said:

It'll be two years in a week.

Yeah, I'm a massive Halo fan, but I can't listen to this podcast. Er, ah... I don't want to say anything too harsh. I just don't really care for it.

Shoe being on there was great, though.

I'm definitely not trying to be overly critical as I'm not a master of oratory myself, but I really had trouble enjoying the podcast. Dan's got a great voice for radio and the stuff he talked about was really interesting, so it wasn't a bad listen in that regard - I just didn't care for the two hosts.

Those screens that were just posted look incredible. I'm picking this up day one if the problems with the 360 are fixed by then.

Eric WK

Uhhh, wow. It's really tough trying to get through this. Can anybody who's already listened to it tell me roughly where Shoe's interesting comments are? I hate to ask other people to do my work for me, but you guys really weren't joking.

TDG

Banned
Cocopjojo said:
It'll be two years in a week.

Yeah, I'm a massive Halo fan, but I can't listen to this podcast. Er, ah... I don't want to say anything too harsh. I just don't really care for it.

Shoe being on there was great, though.
I'll be harsh.

It's a terrible podcast. The audio quality is bad, the people on it are close to illiterate, they laugh at stuff that isn't funny, and they're not really THAT knowledgable about Halo.

I hate it. Everytime I tell myself that I was being too harsh, I go back and listen to it, only to find myself yelling at my iPod in the first 30 seconds. And don't get me started on the call-ins.

NeXuSDK

Man, I have to get used to Bungie podcasts now as well...

Really a shame I'm not in Amsterdam now. Ah well, you can't go on every press trip (actually you can)...

Karg

the disgruntled gamer said:
I'll be harsh.

It's a terrible podcast. The audio quality is bad, the people on it are close to illiterate, they laugh at stuff that isn't funny, and they're not really THAT knowledgable about Halo.

I hate it. Everytime I tell myself that I was being too harsh, I go back and listen to it, only to find myself yelling at my iPod in the first 30 seconds. And don't get me started on the call-ins.

I agree. I fought through to listen to tidbits from Shoe, but to Eric WK, nothing that hasn't already been discussed in this thread or past Halo 3 threads. Maybe I missed a lovely nugget of knowledge in there but I didn't hear anything new.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Sounds like they were caught eating lunch and didn't have anything planned. Huhhuhhuh.

Karg

Thermite said:
we should be getting the Bungie podcast sometime today! WOOT! :D

Hopefully we get a update from Luke...need more Bungie podcast gewdness to get over this last one I just endured.

Urk....I miss the old shocker avatar. Has it been retired?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Gaylo.jpg

I'll bring it back out, say, I dunno, Septemberish. ;)

Karg

Guess we'll run this thread into the ground until the new podcast comes out. Hmm....anyone have any ideas on gametypes they'd like to create with Forge?

GhaleonEB

the disgruntled gamer said:
I'll be harsh.

I agree about the audio quality and how articulate the hosts are. I recommended it for Shoe's side of the equation, because I thought he had some interesting things to say. I suppose I should have caveatted that. :lol

Karg said:
Guess we'll run this thread into the ground until the new podcast comes out. Hmm....anyone have any ideas on gametypes they'd like to create with Forge?
I still demand a Halo Monkey Target game. Grab a Spartan and hurl it at a fusion core.

Actually that might work better by having someone fly a Banshee and someone else hit it with a pp and crash it for massive points.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Karg said:

I'm just going to drop a shitload of boxes.

Goddamn mazes made up of boxes. With rockets everywhere allowing you to blow boxes all around the place. It'll be like red faction, only better, which isn't saying much.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
NeXuSDK said:
Man, I have to get used to Bungie podcasts now as well...

Really a shame I'm not in Amsterdam now. Ah well, you can't go on every press trip (actually you can)...
Am I the only one not in Amsterdam today? :(

Top Bottom