• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu thread of Persona 4 raditude

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I will support this game! Got the special edition of the JPN version preordered, and whenever Atlus USA decides to localize it, I'll get that one too. I think the JPN version of P3 had better voices, but the US version had some pretty good ones. Junpei was fucking SPOT ON! And Yukari was also done fairly well.

Yaweee

http://www.atlusnet.jp/topic/detail/563

Live Persona concert with all of the song vocalists from P3, P4, and Trinity Soul.

Holy Order Sol said:
This makes me sad. Not that I'm worried about the quality of the soundtrack, but still.

Also, screw Mass Destruction haters.

I think some of his tracks are reused, but hopefully only at that one part in the game where it would make sense.

Yaweee

Famtisu reviewed P4 in this weeks issue, giving it scores of

8 8 8 9

for 33/40, the exact same scores that Persona 3 received. So, I'm assuming that means (in so far as reviews can have meaning) that it is slightly better, but bogged down by a bit of a samey feeling.

Somebody tried summarizing the review on... GameFAQS, so I don't know if it is right.

"Battle:more comfortable than P3
Difficulty: a bit high(need reveling)
Dungeon: monotony
volume: pretty much
kuma is the best "

DIFFICULTY!!! Hurray.

The dungeon bit I could have predicted; so far they look long and boring.

No idea what the volume comment means.

----------

Hopefully Atlus will use the Anime Expo this weekend to announce their P4 translation.

Nice to see Famitsu found it well received just as 3.

Any who some new scans floating around and what not.

Um...can someone tell why in the name of all that is good, why the tough kid is dressed in drag?

Yaweee

Supposedly the reviews mention that an increased S. Link with party members improves their performance in battle. How, exactly, is not specified in the review.

The main problem appears to be the dungeons, which, while different from each other, may actually be more tedious than P3's.

Yaweee said:
Supposedly the reviews mention that an increased S. Link with party members improves their performance in battle. How, exactly, is not specified in the review.

The main problem appears to be the dungeons, which, while different from each other, may actually be more tedious than P3's.
eh?! They made them bigger or something?

Yaweee

Prime crotch said:
eh?! They made them bigger or something?

Instead of being a tightly packed series of square rooms, they have a lot of long hallways. From the looks of the screenshots, it looks like it will be more difficult to avoid shadows.

In P3, I frequently went entire blocks without fighting a regular shadow, especially in The Answer.

-------

I'm happy they liked Kuma; I was afraid he would an annoying prat that I'd spend the entire game wishing he were still-born.

tokkun

Holy Order Sol said:
This makes me sad. Not that I'm worried about the quality of the soundtrack, but still.

Also, screw Mass Destruction haters.

A friend picked up a copy of Lotus Juice's album for me while in Japan, and I have to say that I wasn't all that impressed with it. I think that Meguro can do just as well collaborating with another artist.

Joule

Jim Bowie said:
wha

Persona 4 (PS2)

- Trailer on DVD
- July 10th release in Japan
- 85% Complete
- Looks like Persona 3 but better

what am I missing here

At this point it's certainly beyond 85% complete. Other details include:

- AI control in battle is optional
- Potentially romantic S.Links don't have to become romantic but the people involved can just remain good friends.
- Some of the Arcana such as I think it was Strength or Chariot (where different sports clubs are more than just cosmetic) have more than one person associated with that link
- Some reused music (Lotus Juice not returning)
- Yellow

Blackjack

Urban Scholar said:
Nice to see Famitsu found it well received just as 3.

Any who some new scans floating around and what not.

Um...can someone tell why in the name of all that is good, why the tough kid is dressed in drag?
Well, there is the rumor of him being gay...maybe he's expressing himself!

Joule said:
- Some of the Arcana such as I think it was Strength or Chariot (where different sports clubs are more than just cosmetic) have more than one person associated with that link
It was Strength. Chie is Chariot. (Not really important, I know. But I'm pedantic.)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Yaweee said:
Famtisu reviewed P4 in this weeks issue, giving it scores of

8 8 8 9

for 33/40, the exact same scores that Persona 3 received. So, I'm assuming that means (in so far as reviews can have meaning) that it is slightly better, but bogged down by a bit of a samey feeling.

Somebody tried summarizing the review on... GameFAQS, so I don't know if it is right.

"Battle:more comfortable than P3
Difficulty: a bit high(need reveling)
Dungeon: monotony
volume: pretty much
kuma is the best "

DIFFICULTY!!! Hurray.

The dungeon bit I could have predicted; so far they look long and boring.

No idea what the volume comment means.

----------

Hopefully Atlus will use the Anime Expo this weekend to announce their P4 translation.

Famitsu reviews are so worthless. I'm surprised they didn't say something like "I LOVE THE YELLOW".

Joule

Blackjack said:
It was Strength. Chie is Chariot. (Not really important, I know. But I'm pedantic.)

Gah. I should of known.

--------

2m5ia7n.png

Time to roll out?

Blackjack

Joule said:
Gah. I should of known.

--------

2m5ia7n.png

Time to roll out?
It occurs to me that we only know two of the characters' arcana for sure. Chie is Chariot and Yousuke is Magician.

I would assume that Kanji is Emperor, based on his Persona, but I don't think there's been confirmation. Yukiko, Rise, Kuma, and Naoto we don't know at all. Based on his personality, I would have said Naoto is Justice, but your cousin is the Justice S.Link.

Very curious.

tokkun said:
A friend picked up a copy of Lotus Juice's album for me while in Japan, and I have to say that I wasn't all that impressed with it. I think that Meguro can do just as well collaborating with another artist.

Like I said, I have no doubt that P4 will have a great soundtrack. But this makes another version of Mass Destruction (which I would have liked) much less likely.

Now all Atlus needs it to announce that Persona 4 localization has been on works since long ago and ready for release on august or september.

Yaweee

zoku88 said:
I hate yellow :mad:

I was going to say "But isn't your avatar yellow?" That is, at least until I saw the icon Joule presented.

Now that I have seen True Yellow, I will never confuse other colors for it ever again.

------

US Release: October 20th, 2008, if it gets announced this weekend.

The 14 week rule is yet to be broken by Atlus USA or JP, at least within the last year or so.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yaweee said:
I was going to say "But isn't your avatar yellow?" That is, at least until I saw the icon Joule presented.

Now that I have seen True Yellow, I will never confuse other colors for it ever again.

------

I sure hope so.

Joule

Blackjack said:
It occurs to me that we only know two of the characters' arcana for sure. Chie is Chariot and Yousuke is Magician.

I would assume that Kanji is Emperor, based on his Persona, but I don't think there's been confirmation. Yukiko, Rise, Kuma, and Naoto we don't know at all. Based on his personality, I would have said Naoto is Justice, but your cousin is the Justice S.Link.

Very curious.

Rise being Star seems logical but perhaps too literal.

Blackjack

Joule said:
Rise being Star seems logical but perhaps too literal.
I'd like them to branch out some and go all over the Arcana like the first games, but I wouldn't be surprised if they keep all of the playable/party characters within the first 12 Arcana again, honestly.

If I had to guess, it'd look like this:

Rise - High Priestess, Kanji - Emperor, Kuma - Strength and no S.Link, Yukiko - Empress, Naoto - No clue. Maybe Fortune or Hierophant

Yaweee

Blackjack said:
I'd like them to branch out some and go all over the Arcana like the first games, but I wouldn't be surprised if they keep all of the playable/party characters within the first 12 Arcana again, honestly.

Rise - High Priestess, Kanji - Emperor, Kuma - Strength and no S.Link, Yukiko - Empress, Naoto - No clue. Maybe Fortune or Hierophant

However, now that we know S. Links improve characters in battle, Kuma lacking one would break the pattern and potentially make him less useful.

I'm betting his S. Link won't open until he joins the party.

Joule

Blackjack said:

I'd prefer a large toss up as well. I wonder how the World will be used this time around.

Blackjack

Yaweee said:
However, now that we know S. Links improve characters in battle, Kuma lacking one would break the pattern and potentially make him less useful.

I'm betting his S. Link won't open until he joins the party.
True enough, I suppose. Of course, he could just be overpowered, to compensate and then it evens out as you do the other's S.Links.

I'm just not sure I can think of another Arcana for Kintouki Douji. Since, like, his entire thing is that he's really strong.

Joule

Blackjack said:
True enough, I suppose. Of course, he could just be overpowered, to compensate and then it evens out as you do the other's S.Links.

I'm just not sure I can think of another Arcana for Kintouki Douji. Since, like, his entire thing is that he's really strong.

Well if we go by the traits of Persona from P3, Tower were the strongest physically though I'm not sure what kind of S.Link that would be if that were the case.

Magnusson

Neo Member
I'm actually glad that there seems to be S-links with your own party members this time. I felt that you really didn't get as much development with most of the cast of P3, and this might help remedy that.

reriel

Kagari said:
Next-gen SMT, please... or wasn't one already said to be in the works?
yeah, There was talks about a smt for ps3, but now that recruit page search for people with experience on rpg, and with 360/ps3 hardware. So who know, I hope we will know at this tgs (the recruit page search staff until september).

Yaweee said:
if Kanji is gay
what's the source of this ?
anyway, new scan have a screenshot with him dressed like a woman XD

Blackjack

reriel said:
what's the source of [the Kanji is gay rumor] ?
anyway, new scan have a screenshot with him dressed like a woman XD
His Shadow form (which, to my best guess, you have to fight in order to awaken their Personae -- for example, the MC fights Yousuke's alone, and then MC and Yousuke both fight Chie's) includes Kanji, naked, in a bed of roses, holding two giant 'male' symbols.

Yaweee said:

------

The 14 week rule is yet to be broken by Atlus USA or JP, at least within the last year or so.

The sooner the better. Probably my most wanted game actually. Thank god I don't have to wait for a UK release this time round. May never happen.

reriel

Blackjack said:
His Shadow form (which, to my best guess, you have to fight in order to awaken their Personae -- for example, the MC fights Yousuke's alone, and then MC and Yousuke both fight Chie's) includes Kanji, naked, in a bed of roses, holding two giant 'male' symbols.
really ? maybe i should check this video O__o

Volcynika

Yaweee said:

I guess I just haven't paid attention, but what is this rule thing?

Yaweee

Volcynika said:
I guess I just haven't paid attention, but what is this rule thing?

Neither Atlus USA nor Atlus JP announces a game more than 14 weeks before its release. Granted, the rule probably won't hold for P4, as they are forced into an announce date by Anime Expo rather than their own email/magazine cycle that they normally count on.

For Saturday's event, it says "Yuri Lowenthal and Karen Strassman, longtime SMT voice actors..."

Longtime SMT voice actors? Only DDS and Persona 3 have had voices, and Yuri's main role in both is that of the mostly-mute main character, his other roles being uncredited. Strassman has only been in Persona 3. They aren't really "Long term voice actors" unless there is another project that they are a part of.

Blackjack

Yaweee said:
Neither Atlus USA nor Atlus JP announces a game more than 14 weeks before its release. Granted, the rule probably won't hold for P4, as they are forced into an announce date by Anime Expo rather than their own email/magazine cycle that they normally count on.

For Saturday's event, it says "Yuri Lowenthal and Karen Strassman, longtime SMT voice actors..."

Longtime SMT voice actors? Only DDS and Persona 3 have had voices, and Yuri's main role in both is that of the mostly-mute main character, his other roles being uncredited. Strassman has only been in Persona 3. They aren't really "Long term voice actors" unless there is another project that they are a part of.
They both probably did Persona 2 stuff.

Yaweee said:
They aren't really "Long term voice actors" unless there is another project that they are a part of.

Your powers of deduction are untouchable. These series of events will be interesting to see how they turn out.

Top Bottom