• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu thread of Persona 4 raditude

Yaweee

cpro said:
I think the song might be the basic battle theme.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Now, the question is--- are there several basic battle themes, like there are in the SMT core series? One of the most common complaints about P3 was repetitive music, that the game was so damn long but didn't have a proportionally huge soundtrack. If they are addressing the issue at all, I think multiple battle themes are in order.

My other big music guess was the second to last piece in the trailer, the peaceful vocal one, as the town music. I hope it is, for at least one season. Japanese release date of the game be damned, I'm looking forward to the soundtrack.

The downloads section of the webpage is updated with two wallpapers, the first of which is nice, the second of which is the worst shade of gray imaginable.

Only 4 more updates until the JP release, and there are a lot of videos still to be added.

1 Kuma video
3 Rise
3 Blueboy
2 Kanji
1 Yousuke
1 Yukiko
1 Murder
1 School
2 Velvet Room

1 Part of the download section hasn't yet been revealed, which, based on some of the previous SMT teaser sites is likely for music.

The blond boy probably won't get a video section, whoever the hell he is.

Yaweee

http://www.atlusnet.jp/topic/detail/529

New video, not on the main page, but on a general Atlus page. Two new musics play, both rather nice. They sound... familiar, but I can't tell if the melodies are from other tracks we've heard from P4, or from other SMT games-- (second track sounds like DS3 music). Almost positive the second track is battle music, bringing the heard # of battle tracks to 4. The first track might be the 'Prelude to Boss Fight', based on its similarity to DS3's.

So, we've heard about 20 tracks from the game so far. I like all of them except for the shopping center music.

Listened to it again, and both tracks sound reminiscent of Meguro's work in DS3. He seems to really be playing up the nostalgia theme of the game. I'll try to find some links...

------

In the video from last friday, you can actually notice Chie's boots change based on her equipment, confirming that her weapons are in fact different shoe types.

Joule

More musical analysis huh cpro. I'm not getting any familiar vibes from them (perhaps it's because they resemble DS3 which I haven't played yet)

The soundtrack does seem quite strong from what bits we've heard thus far.

Yeah on the weapon changes. I'm looking forward to them all. Think of Kanji's selection of chairs. Mmmhmm.

Yaweee

Is there actually a function in Youtube to upload music to a steady picture, or is more software needed? I can share the two tracks in question.

Well, whatever. The tracks are "Breaking Through the Wall" and "The Fated Showdown", which are on the usual SMT friendly videogame music sites.

--------

The video was actually added to the main P4 page, meaning that they're now updating it on days other than Friday.

cpro said:
Is there actually a function in Youtube to upload music to a steady picture, or is more software needed? I can share the two tracks in question.

Well, whatever. The tracks are "Breaking Through the Wall" and "The Fated Showdown", which are on the usual SMT friendly videogame music sites.

--------

The video was actually added to the main P4 page, meaning that they're now updating it on days other than Friday.

This might help you CPRO:

http://www.jakeludington.com/youtube/20080406_can_i_upload_mp3_or_wma_audio_files_to_youtube.html

Joule

cpro said:

I just use the software that I got with my camera to make some slideshow movies with only one picture with some music then reencode to something more youtube friendly.

----------------

Yeah okay I hear the similarities straight away.

Blackjack

Joule said:
Yeah on the weapon changes. I'm looking forward to them all. Think of Kanji's selection of chairs. Mmmhmm.
I think there's an image/video of him with a metal briefcase or something, so he may be a general "brawler/use whatever you can" type.

Regardless, his joke weapon better be a pillow.

Blackjack said:
I think there's an image/video of him with a metal briefcase or something, so he may be a general "brawler/use whatever you can" type.

Regardless, his joke weapon better be a pillow.
I want his ultimate weapon to be Igor's chair or table.

"Empowered by Persona fusions across generations!"

Yaweee

Persona 4 US announcement is imminent!

In the announcement emaill for Yggdra Union PSP, they revealed that they were dropping hints in previous newsletters, namely that the first letters of the first few words in the last paragraphs were all Y G G D R A.

Now, in today's coupon email, it says

"More announcements still to come in the land of Atlus. Don't touch that dial!" (the bold is my emphasis)

Methinks it is a not-so-veiled P4 reference. If it is the case, and assuming that the 14 week rule established over the last 10 Atlus games holds true... we will see a US release sometime between mid-October and mid-November.

Just speculation, I know.

----

Perhaps the old-style TV's are meant to symbolize all abandoned technology, or, more literally, that death of CRT televisions. Except for any games that might come out on Wii, Persona 4 is the last major RPG to see release for a system intended for CRT sets. It is the bookend of an era.

Next year, analog television broadcasts in the US will end. By transitioning to digital signals, a wide range of the EM spectrum will be freed for other uses. Out of curiosity, does Japan have a similar plan, and is the deadline 2011/2012?

Yaweee

Barakov said:
The way this generation is going.....who knows.

They are almost certainly going to have SMT4 as their next game in the series. Then, they can reuse the assets in subsequent games, just as they did with Nocturne.

Why not the other way around, i.e. Perona 5 -> SMT4? The level of detail in both characters and range of animations are greatest in the game where the multitude of demons comprise your party. The models created specifically for Persona 3 don't have more than 3-4 animations each, I think.

Yaweee

Tons of new crap on the main page.

-Rise section and video.
-Yousuke video showing him in battle.
-Velvet Room video. Shows off the new interface, which looks a lot smoother. The tab that I thought was for fusing weapons is actually for the Fusion Forecast system. The yellow looks a bit hideous.
-Says something is new in the downloads section, but I can't see what... perhaps higher resolutions?
-Atlus has opened their Fan Site database, but I don't see what good that is.

Joule

Not too sure of Rise's jp VA, sounds a little too cutesy but that's all just from that one clip. Would need more sampling.

The new Persona fusion animation is pretty fancy wouldn't you say cpro? Wait what? Yaweee?

TEJ

Yaweee said:
They are almost certainly going to have SMT4 as their next game in the series. Then, they can reuse the assets in subsequent games, just as they did with Nocturne.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it Shin Megami Tensei Nine {An xbox title that few people know about that was released in japan before nocturne} that the assets were reused from, and not nocturne?

Yaweee

TEJ said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it Shin Megami Tensei Nine {An xbox title that few people know about that was released in japan before nocturne} that the assets were reused from, and not nocturne?

While the art design for most of the demons are the same, the actual models, textures, and animations were recreated in Nocturne, as far as I can see. NINE is actually a very ugly game with an astonishing soundtrack.

Joule said:
Not too sure of Rise's jp VA, sounds a little too cutesy but that's all just from that one clip. Would need more sampling.

The new Persona fusion animation is pretty fancy wouldn't you say cpro? Wait what? Yaweee?

The recent incidents on GAF have motivated me to never, ever reuse screen names between sites.

The animation all around, from battle, cinematics, and the general world are all vastly improved. Igor's handwave over the table looks cleaner than anything seen in P3, I think. The improved sound effects also help make the scene more impactful.

Did anyone else notice how the menus looked to be a lot smoother loading? P3 pissed me off with all the little menu lags, especially after playing through Nocturne's brilliantly fast loads and menus.

Joule

Yaweee said:
The recent incidents on GAF have motivated me to never, ever reuse screen names between sites.

The animation all around, from battle, cinematics, and the general world are all vastly improved. Igor's handwave over the table looks cleaner than anything seen in P3, I think. The improved sound effects also help make the scene more impactful.

Did anyone else notice how the menus looked to be a lot smoother loading? P3 pissed me off with all the little menu lags, especially after playing through Nocturne's brilliantly fast loads and menus.

An apt time for a name change I suppose.

I like how during fusion the cards are elevated to the heavens and a starry sky background is how the fusion ends. Gives you a feel of completion (The World).

If the loading has been improved to Nocturne levels, P4 RPGOTY confirmed.

Blackjack

Himuro said:
I'm on media blackout for this game.
It's strange, because right now I'm very much reading all of the info I can get on this game, but as soon as anyone at all has played it, I'm going to go on complete blackout.

Lain

Old news? Just saw the P4 OST for preorder so I went and preordered it simply because I've loved the music that I've heard until now.

Yaweee said:

what happened?

in case of P4....

ive been on a media blackout since a while now. so many games to play, i can barely read up the news anyway.

zoku88

Augemitbutter said:
what happened?

in case of P4....

ive been on a media blackout since a while now. so many games to play, i can barely read up the news anyway.
Internet detectives, I'd gather, and messing up people's personal lives by.. detectiv--ing...

>.>

Yaweee

KibblesBits said:
On top of that his persona is revealed as Sukunahikona and looks reminiscent of a bug, in pseudo-sentai gear of course.

His persona looks weird, but isn't a fairy like many initially thought. Looks okay-- strange to see a Persona wearing a suit and a tie, wielding a light-saber.

They also reveal both the MC's uncle and cousin, though I can't read what their names are.

Joule

Yaweee said:
His persona looks weird, but isn't a fairy like many initially thought. Looks okay-- strange to see a Persona wearing a suit and a tie, wielding a light-saber.

They also reveal both the MC's uncle and cousin, though I can't read what their names are.

Ryoutarou Douzima (MC's uncle)
Nanako Douzima (Ryoutarou's daughter)

Appearently.

I like the look of his Persona. Caped crusader. Many thought it'd be fairy Persona? Well I'd be down if Pixie/Hua Po was somebodies main Persona.

Joule said:
Ryoutarou Douzima (MC's uncle)
Nanako Douzima (Ryoutarou's daughter)

Appearently.

I like the look of his Persona. Caped crusader. Many thought it'd be fairy Persona? Well I'd be down if Pixie/Hua Po was somebodies main Persona.

Naoto's persona is smaller in size, difficult to see, etc.

Seeing it up close really reinforces the sentai theme (IMO) running rampant in P4.

Yaweee

KibblesBits said:
Naoto's persona is smaller in size, difficult to see, etc.

Seeing it up close really reinforces the sentai theme (IMO) running rampant in P4.

Theme runs rampant? Where else is it present? From the looks of it, each of the Personas looks like it comes from a different genre of TV-shows/anime/movies. Kuma's is steam-punk, Kanji's is a robot, Chie's is Martial Arts, new guy's is sentai, MC's is sword-wielding-school-students, Yukiko's is flowery girl crap. The Idol's... I have no idea what the hell a satellite for a head is supposed to be.

Joule

Yaweee said:
Theme runs rampant? Where else is it present? From the looks of it, each of the Persona's looks like a different genre. Kuma's is steam-punk, Kanji's is a robot, Chie is Martial Arts, new guy's is sentai, MC is sword-wielding-school-students, Yukiko's is flowery girl crap.

Well the cast does sort of have a sentai colour pattern going on.

Yukiko's more like a cheerleader.

Himuro said:
I'm on media blackout for this game.

same

i saw the first famitsu scans and i've not looked at anythin else, i went crazy lookin for p3 stuff and was kinda burnt out on it when i started playin' :/ not gonna happen again

Yaweee said:
Theme runs rampant? Where else is it present? From the looks of it, each of the Personas looks like it comes from a different genre of TV-shows/anime/movies. Kuma's is steam-punk, Kanji's is a robot, Chie's is Martial Arts, new guy's is sentai, MC's is sword-wielding-school-students, Yukiko's is flowery girl crap. The Idol's... I have no idea what the hell a satellite for a head is supposed to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chouriki_Sentai_Ohranger

They all look like Sentai warriors. Do not deny it! Half of the character designs look like they are ripped from Ohranger or any other common sentai. Kamen Rider? Yup If I were foolish I'd even suggest Ultraman... but that's just going too far and retro. Even Rise and her persona fit as the semi mystical guide that is frail but aware of what the enemy is up to.

And remember, that's your opinion that they don't. :p

Yaweee

KibblesBits said:
And remember, that's your opinion that they don't. :p

But each representing a different genre is such a good fit! :D :D

No, seriously, I just don't see the connection to Sentai for Kuma's, MC's, or Yousuke's. Kanji's and Rise's are... stretches, to the say the least.

MC's IS a sword-wielding school boy.

Chie's IS a blatant Bruce Lee knockoff.

Yukiko's, Chie's, and new-guys all look like they are wearing visors of some sort, but the Sentai theme doesn't look like it stretches beyond them.

Honestly, the Person's might represent whatever genres each of the characters like most-- we know Chie loves martial arts films, while new guy is almost a certainly a fan of sentai (which fuels his righteousness/desire to be a po-lice.)

You don't have me convinced and I hold to my opinion. Especially considering Featherman had it's own place in the P3 universe and P2. It seems like they're just doing a reoccuring theme(homage?) again via persona designs. Honestly, look at previous persona designs... And by sentai, I don't neccesarily mean just the 'ranger' look.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Yaweee

KibblesBits said:
You don't have me convinced and I hold to my opinion. Especially considering Featherman had it's own place in the P3 universe and P2. It seems like they're just doing a reoccuring theme(homage?) again via persona designs. Honestly, look at previous persona designs... And by sentai, I don't neccesarily mean just the 'ranger' look.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

We're both right!

The game involves your party entering the worlds of various TV shows/genres-- that much is clear. It is probable that across all of the characters is an overarching Sentai theme, in which they are kind of treated like a modern team of heroes, which explains the slight Sentai elements involved in each of their persona designs. In addition to the Sentai theme, though, there is the affiliation of each character with a particular genre.

The new guy isn't particularly associated with Sentai; he's associated with the detective genre. His outfit and weapon choice indicate obvious emulation/desire to be a police officer.

I think I have an idea of what Yousuke's Persona is supposed to represent. First, there's the obvious frog elements related to the Jiraiya mythology. But his headphones, and the headphones on his Persona, are related to music, so his TV genre is probably music television.

No idea what the idols is supposed to be, unless it represents the type fashion television/modeling that she used to be a part of.

So, a full list of genres.

MC- Sword wielding High Schoolers.
Yousuke- MTV
Chie- Martial Arts
Yukiko- Cheerleader? Her TV show is "Princess Yukiko's Castle", but is that part of a Japanese genre?
Kanji- Mecha (We know that there is a Mecha inspired TV world, or just Mecha enemies in one.)
Kuma- Children's Show himself, ... War for his Persona? Now THAT's an interesting dichotomy.
Idol- Fashion
Blue- Detective

There's also a videogame world seen in the videos, and my prediction is that, if the blond kid is a playable character, his association is that.

Or the Blond kid is just Yousuke's brother. Their hair looks like a palette swap.

Blackjack

KibblesBits said:
I'm still not sure who this blonde boy is...
None of us is. He's just some guy that's been seen with the rest of the characters in a couple scenes in a couple videos. We don't even know what he looks like beyond "blonde haired guy"

Personally, I like to think he's Bebe.

Top Bottom