• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu thread of Persona 4 raditude

Yaweee

Himuro said:
What *I* want to know is if the story will be dark like Persona 1 and 2.

Thankfully it has a similar premise to 2: mystery, murders, awesome. I hope it delivers.

1) I wouldn't really call Persona 1 particularly dark.

2) It looks a bit darker than P3, but not as dark as either of the P2's. While the story revolves around a long string of grizzly and paranormal murders, it still has the entire school/social aspects to brighten things up.

birdchili

i can't believe i'm defending ai allies, but i wish they'd not give you the option of manual control - just fix up the ai and give the characters more personality in combat. with manual control there's no point to the ai at all unless the game ends up too easy. boo.

So, right now we're looking at about seven playable characters, including the protagonist, which is one less then P3. If this holds true throughout the game, I kinda see it as a way to make managing and leveling the party a little easier (go through a dungeon once with three of them, then go through one more time with the other three), though I'm more inclined to believe we'll get one or two more.

Also, I'm really curious as to what Kuma's alter ego is. Maybe he sees himself as living outside this TV world? It must suck sharing residence with Shadows.

RevenantKioku said:
C'mon, guy.
...yeah, I'm not perfect man. I wasn't 100% for sure there as I hadn't seen it shortened like that and thought maybe it was something specific to Persona, sorry I wasn't up to your standards.

Musashi1337 said:
...yeah, I'm not perfect man. I wasn't 100% for sure there as I hadn't seen it shortened like that and thought maybe it was something specific to Persona, sorry I wasn't up to your standards.

pssh, you did an excellent job and Atlus of America didn't use Commu, they went with S.Link so you probably had no idea what it was.

Sagitario

Q. In Persona 3, the party member's AI wasn't too sharp, and to tell you the truth, there were times I became frustrated in trying to deal with it. What have you done this time around to improve things?

A. You have nothing to worry about. We've gone though and and done a lot of reworking with the AI algorithms, not to mention the fact that in Persona 4 you can also manually control each party member.

Q. About halfway though Persona 3 I grew tired of the random dungeons, what have you done this time around to better the experience?

A. We're still using random dungeons, but we've done a bit with these missing people that you need to search for in each dungeon. There are certain themes for each dungeon that have their own accompanying challenge. To better improve the tempo of the game we've gone through and reexamined the overall volume of a level, filled them out as much as possible while slightly reducing the size, and a bit of tweaking by reducing gameplay time by a slight amount. That, and beyond the fact you can now exit a dungeon at any point with a specific item or magic, progress through a level is saved so you can start over again at any point.

Also, unlike Persona 3 where dungeons where mainly just for exploration, this time around there's also Event Dungeons where key pieces of the story unravel. On top of that, after you've completed a dungeon there's other elements to look forward to as well.

SOLD!!! [and I haven't finished P3 yet, I'm waiting for my FES to arrive]

Kuran

Banned
I don't like the fact that they're introducing instant-exit items though, that removes a sense of dread.

Although IIRC, P3 also had an item that made you leave the dungeon.. but that might have been quite rare.

Tamanon

Banned
Kuran said:
I don't like the fact that they're introducing instant-exit items though, that removes a sense of dread.

Although IIRC, P3 also had an item that made you leave the dungeon.. but that might have been quite rare.

Yup, and it was also the source of the Hermit S. Link's means of saying goodbye!

Traesto!!

Blackjack

Kuran said:

Plus, Fuuka's Escape Route.

zoku88 said:
Wait, the items that you got at the end of the soul links actually did something?
Well, they let you Fuse the ultimate Persona for that Arcana, but other than that they had no actual use.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Musashi1337 said:
No, I mean, you know nothing about Persona 3 but you're translating a conversation about Persona 4? That just seems odd to me.

Lakupo

RevenantKioku said:
No, I mean, you know nothing about Persona 3 but you're translating a conversation about Persona 4? That just seems odd to me.
Hey, be nice. The thing to say when someone comes along and translates an interview like that is "Thank you." Anyone who does know about P3 can fill in the few tiny gaps.

Thank you, Musashi1337!

RevenantKioku said:
Ah....gotcha, I didn't quite catch that from your response. Yeah, don't know much about Persona 3 as I don't have a PS2, but looking forward to giving it a play here once I pick up the MGS pack, hence the reasoning behind my interest in the series, yet I know little about the specifics details. That, and it just seemed like a fun challenge, haven't been using Japanese all that much recently, so it was a good excuse for me.

JEKKI

I donno if these been posted yet somewhere else...

but rpgfan got sum new scans:

I'm not allowed to link to scans >_< go the website to see them

Here's a crazy question: Why didn't Atlus think of making this a next gen game? I mean I'm not complaining but it seems weird to me all the RPGs haven't made the jump yet.

yes yes why change if you don't have to ...

birdchili

The Frankman said:
Here's a crazy question: Why didn't Atlus think of making this a next gen game? I mean I'm not complaining but it seems weird to me all the RPGs haven't made the jump yet.
big ps2 audience, code/asset re-use (again), chance to re-polish an interesting take on jrpgs without rebuilding from scratch.

smt4 was announced ages ago as a ps3 title, though nothing has been heard in ages and ages as far as i'm aware. they're certainly working on the new hardware already. there was some talk of revisiting a first person megaten game on wii as well, though it was more a "this might be a neat idea" kind of comment than any kind of confirmation of anything.

Yaweee

The Frankman said:

yes yes why change if you don't have to ...

This has been discussed before, but there are a few reasons.

1) Last Gen has substantially cheaper development costs than This Gen, while having a higher installed user base/potential market.

2) They can reuse some of the same basic gamestructure, code, and models from Persona 3 and FES.

Basically, a PS2 game would cost less and sell more.

JEKKI

Guled said:
you are not allowed to link to scans, edit before you get banned.
off topic but where does it say that??

I looked thru the faq forum, even searched it (queried "scan"), couldnt find where it says scans are no-go...

TheOddOne

JEKKI said:
off topic but where does it say that??

I looked thru the faq forum, even searched it (queried "scan"), couldnt find where it says scans are no-go...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295604

Look, we're not stupid and we're not blind. I just noticed a very recent new trend: let's try to evade the no scans ruling by putting scans as frames of video and upload it to youtube! Let's link that, since it's a video it should be fine right? NO! Standard rules apply, scans are scans no matter what form they are masked in.

Yaweee

Two new videos added at the Official Persona 4 webpage.

1) MC talking to his cousin. You get to hear her voice acting.

2) Midnight TV section updated (and completed). Shows the initial entry, complete retread from the original trailer.

------------

There will probably be another Famitsu article this week, and it will reveal either of the new characters, or potential villains.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Matador is a freaking persona. Holy crap! This is so awesome! I hadn't even noticed him before on Famitsu.com! :lol Is it me or the rider like persona on their site is like Pale Rider but not exactly him?

Joule

Pedobear said:
Matador is a freaking persona. Holy crap! This is so awesome! I hadn't even noticed him before on Famitsu.com! :lol Is it me or the rider like persona on their site is like Pale Rider but not exactly him?

More Nocturne fiends the better. Matador handing out the rape once again.

Looks like White Rider to me. Suddenly shadows getting 100% hama'ed by God Arrows.

zoku88

Matador is in this game? Awesome! One of my favorite fiends from Nocturne (despite that he owned me as much as I'm guessing he owned y'all.)

That hexagon fusion they have going on must be for something really nasty.

Also, the popstar is definitely the support this time, especially when her persona has a satellite dish for a head.

Yaweee

So, what is new in this week's Famitsu--

Information about the redhead girl. She is the support character, and her Persona (named Himiko) looks like a lady in a white dress, with a satellite for a head. Huh? The character appears to be the school nurse or something.

Two new S. Link characters
- a youngish looking student in the Music Club
- an older looking girl with black hair. Looks mean/cunning. Theater Club, by my understanding.

All three character designs show off the basic female school uniform, which I don't think has been shown in art so far.

BAD NEWS ALERT
It shows the enemy scan screen, and it appears that physical attacks no longer have different classifications.

The Famitsu webpage has a lot of pictures of the Velvet room, and people are saying that Matador, Black Rider, and Daisojou are all in the game. Can it be inferred that all of the Nocturne Fiends are going to be in it? If all of the P3 ones return, only 2 of the riders are still unconfirmed.

zoku88

cpro said:
The Famitsu webpage has a lot of pictures of the Velvet room, and people are saying that Matador, Black Rider, and Daisojou are all in the game. Can it be inferred that all of the Nocturne Fiends are going to be in it? If all of the P3 ones return, only 2 of the riders are still unconfirmed.
Which ones are those again?

Yaweee

Himuro said:
Old news. But oh well.

Really? It kind of sucks, but I guess that makes the system basically back to what it was in Nocturne. I know why they took it out; that last generic boss in Tartarus was incredibly saddening if you didn't happen to level a character with piercing attacks.

firex

One thing I'm hoping they do for the AI, aside from all the fixes anyone who plays through P3 will agree need to happen, is allow you to give your party members some of your items for them to use in combat. I mean I probably won't play using the AI unless it's way improved over P3 (or unless the fights are tedious without it) but if they really do fix it, a little thing like that could make preparing for fights better.

Do we know anything about the main character? Any background or anything?
What are the chances of Atlus removing the honorifics on this one? It bothered me on P3 already.

mollipen

cpro said:
BAD NEWS ALERT
It shows the enemy scan screen, and it appears that physical attacks no longer have different classifications.

*sigh* I don't like that they did that, but I guess I can understand why they did.

Prime crotch said:
Do we know anything about the main character? Any background or anything?
What are the chances of Atlus removing the honorifics on this one? It bothered me on P3 already.
Besides the fact he's in town to live with his uncle, we really don't know anything about him. Which is usually the norm for these games.

Yaweee

firex said:
One thing I'm hoping they do for the AI, aside from all the fixes anyone who plays through P3 will agree need to happen, is allow you to give your party members some of your items for them to use in combat. I mean I probably won't play using the AI unless it's way improved over P3 (or unless the fights are tedious without it) but if they really do fix it, a little thing like that could make preparing for fights better.

I don't know if the other party members actually use items, but you can control them, and they break the status-ailments of other party members (videos of them getting smacked out of charm/confusion).

The honorifics are here to stay, I'm guessing. They are too integral to understanding the relationships between the characters, and there is no English equivalent.

Blackjack

I really am the only one that doesn't care for Chie, huh? She seems cute enough, but I dunno. Her design is so bland to me. And that jacket is ugly.

I'm currently planning on rocking the party of Kanji, Yukiko, and Yousuke.

That'll give me lightning, fire, and wind. I can cover Ice myself.

Joule

Blackjack said:
I really am the only one that doesn't care for Chie, huh? She seems cute enough, but I dunno. Her design is so bland to me. And that jacket is ugly.

I'm currently planning on rocking the party of Kanji, Yukiko, and Yousuke.

That'll give me lightning, fire, and wind. I can cover Ice myself.

I don't think you're alone on that one. The pro-Chie squads don't seem too abundant.

I'm down with Chie because she seems the most Yukari-esqe. I also imagine her being quite entertaining on her own.

Chie reminds me a little bit of Ginko, but who knows what Chie's real personality is like. All we've seen is that she's prone to violence, and knows kung fu...

I like her more than Yukiko though. I'm not for that whole 'perfect lady' thing... it can lead to problems.

firex

cpro said:
I don't know if the other party members actually use items, but you can control them, and they break the status-ailments of other party members (videos of them getting smacked out of charm/confusion).

The honorifics are here to stay, I'm guessing. They are too integral to understanding the relationships between the characters, and there is no English equivalent.
Sometimes if you have someone like Junpei or Koro on act freely (or heal/support to get them to cast their buffs) they'll use medicine/medical powder/dis-poison and so on. What'd be cool imo is to be able to give the person you want to stick on heal/support a snuff or chewing soul, for example, so if it's a really tough fight they can recharge their SP.

and when I think about it, I'm hoping control over party members also means some control over determining what spells their personas will keep as they level. not sure if it's been revealed yet if your party members can carry more than 1 persona or not (I'm guessing not, since that makes the main character more unique) but if they can't, it'd still be nice to be able to pick what you want to keep and discard.

edit: as far as all the girls revealed for P4 go, I can't say I really lean one way or another. I'll have to see what their personalities are like in game. Though I'll say Yukiko looks like she'd be stuck up, while Chie looks like she'd be pretty down to earth.

Top Bottom